Philadelphia Train Sexual Assault (Content Warning I guess, because this one is BAD)

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
A woman in Philadelphia was followed, harassed and ultimately raped on a train as people (as in bystanders not accomplices although I really feel they should be treated as such) allegedly recorded the event on their phones rather than use those same fucking phones to call the police. The incident took place over 40 minutes and the train made over 2 dozen stops. It was only when an employee at the second last platform put in a call to the police that the man was eventually pulled away from the woman at the final stop.

There is a lot to unpack here. On the one hand I can get it if people were frightened to intervene for their own safety, might not respect it but I can see the reasoning. But recording it? When a single fucking call on that same phone could have stopped it. Every single passenger on that train is responsible for what happened to that woman.

Reactions: Agema and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That is so screwed up. There are many of you and only one of him. All those people deserve to be charged for something. All they had to do was make the freaking call and the police would have been right on over instantly. Jesus christ, some people can't even do something so basic now. I feel so bad for that woman. She is going to have trust issues and a hatred of the public. She needs all the mental help and therapy she can get. And all those people can pay for it.

Reactions: Catfood220

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
That's beyond nauseating. Victim needs access to free-of-charge therapy and support for as long as they desire, at the very least. The rest need tasering, or jail, but preferably both.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That's beyond nauseating. Victim needs access to free-of-charge therapy and support for as long as they desire, at the very least. The rest need tasering, or jail, but preferably both.
They are looking into charges against the people who were recording. But, not much can be done against those that just sat by and did nothing. No law requires you to render aid.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That is so screwed up. There are many of you and only one of him.
Yes, but one person can intimidate numerous by playing on their individual fears of being the one to take a load of damage before that one person is overwhelmed.

I'm more shocked that none of those chuckleheads thought "Mm, better call the the police".

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm more shocked that none of those chuckleheads thought "Mm, better call the the police
That is why I'm freaking out and shaming them. They couldn't even do the most basic thing. All them had the power to record it, but not actually use that phone to dial 911. And even then, the guy didn't have a weapon on him and he was pretty preoccupied at that moment. At least five to seven people could have jumped on and stumped him in the nuts or something. And have another person get the lady out of there.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Yes, but one person can intimidate numerous by playing on their individual fears of being the one to take a load of damage before that one person is overwhelmed.

I'm more shocked that none of those chuckleheads thought "Mm, better call the the police".
Exactly this. They had their phones in their goddamned hands and chose not to do the bare minimum to help that woman. Honestly they deserve, if not as harsh, at least nearly as harsh a sentence as the person who committed the crime.
That is so screwed up. There are many of you and only one of him. All those people deserve to be charged for something. All they had to do was make the freaking call and the police would have been right on over instantly. Jesus christ, some people can't even do something so basic now. I feel so bad for that woman. She is going to have trust issues and a hatred of the public. She needs all the mental help and therapy she can get. And all those people can pay for it.
Yeah, I like to think that I would physically intervene, but who am I to say, I've never been faced with that kind of situation before but there is no way I wouldn't, at the very least, call the police.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
That is why I'm freaking out and shaming them. They couldn't even do the most basic thing. All them had the power to record it, but not actually use that phone to dial 911. And even then, the guy didn't have a weapon on him and he was pretty preoccupied at that moment. At least five to seven people could have jumped on and stumped him in the nuts or something. And have another person get the lady out of there.
I think most people have no significant familiarity with fighting. And even where they may, most people have no desire or will to inflict serious harm on others: that's why the vast majority of fights are pretty pissy affairs, and why we don't have a murder rate in the double or triple figures per 100k. I've seen a guy who's done martial arts lose a fight against someone with no formal training, I think simply through lack of will to really hit that other person.

But all these people who don't want to fight can imagine that the stranger they are squaring off against might be someone who knows how to fight, and might (particularly if involved in act of violence) be one of the few willing and ready to make a right fucking mess out of another human being. And it'll be terrifying - to think "Is this worth me being hospitalised / dying?"

I find myself somewhat reluctant to condemn, because I honestly do not know whether I would physically intervene were I in that position either. I do not think I would were I alone. I like to think I would if I could count on another couple of people to help. I would, however, most certainly phone the damn police.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think most people have no significant familiarity with fighting. And even where they may, most people have no desire or will to inflict serious harm on others: that's why the vast majority of fights are pretty pissy affairs, and why we don't have a murder rate in the double or triple figures per 100k. I've seen a guy who's done martial arts lose a fight against someone with no formal training, I think simply through lack of will to really hit that other person.

But all these people who don't want to fight can imagine that the stranger they are squaring off against might be someone who knows how to fight, and might (particularly if involved in act of violence) be one of the few willing and ready to make a right fucking mess out of another human being. And it'll be terrifying - to think "Is this worth me being hospitalised / dying?"

I find myself somewhat reluctant to condemn, because I honestly do not know whether I would physically intervene were I in that position either. I do not think I would were I alone. I like to think I would if I could count on another couple of people to help. I would, however, most certainly phone the damn police.
That's all well and good and I get that, but that still doesn't change the fact that none of them bother to call the police. They all have their phones in their hands ready and available, and all chose to record instead of doing something of actual importance. Yes he's caught on camera by multiple people, but it still doesn't change the fact that nobody called the police, until an employee of the train station had to do something about it. I get not having any fighting skills, but if it's 8 to 10 against one guy with his dick hanging out of his pants, I think the 10 people can handle it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
A woman in Philadelphia was followed, harassed and ultimately raped on a train as people (as in bystanders not accomplices although I really feel they should be treated as such) allegedly recorded the event on their phones rather than use those same fucking phones to call the police. The incident took place over 40 minutes and the train made over 2 dozen stops. It was only when an employee at the second last platform put in a call to the police that the man was eventually pulled away from the woman at the final stop.

There is a lot to unpack here. On the one hand I can get it if people were frightened to intervene for their own safety, might not respect it but I can see the reasoning. But recording it? When a single fucking call on that same phone could have stopped it. Every single passenger on that train is responsible for what happened to that woman.
Yes and no.

Holy fuck I'm about to get yelled at.....

But it's the same idea that when Terrorists hijacked the planes for 9-11, a few fuckers with boxcutters could have easily been overpowered by any number of people on that plane. Yet they didn't why is that?

Some times all it takes is a firm enough command and a scary look on your face to paralyze a who fucking plane of people. People aren't always brave, people don't always understand the potential of what's happening. Nobody on that plane thought they were going to die 100%. If anything people figured the plane would fly somewhere they would be robbed and let loose in some desert or some shit.

In the case of this rape, I think people probably should have done something. But not everyone has the bravery for fighting and they couldn't know if this dude had a gun, a big fucking knife, or whatever. Yes they should have called, should have done something, but terror and fear REAL terror and fear can be crippling. At least they got it on video so this fuckbag wont get away with it.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Yes and no.

Holy fuck I'm about to get yelled at.....

But it's the same idea that when Terrorists hijacked the planes for 9-11, a few fuckers with boxcutters could have easily been overpowered by any number of people on that plane. Yet they didn't why is that?

Some times all it takes is a firm enough command and a scary look on your face to paralyze a who fucking plane of people. People aren't always brave, people don't always understand the potential of what's happening. Nobody on that plane thought they were going to die 100%. If anything people figured the plane would fly somewhere they would be robbed and let loose in some desert or some shit.

In the case of this rape, I think people probably should have done something. But not everyone has the bravery for fighting and they couldn't know if this dude had a gun, a big fucking knife, or whatever. Yes they should have called, should have done something, but terror and fear REAL terror and fear can be crippling. At least they got it on video so this fuckbag wont get away with it.
There was cctv, he wasn't going to get away with it. It's how all the bystanders were caught aiding and abetting the crime.

I agree though. I get being paralysed with fear. But there really is no excuse for not calling the police. That makes them culpable for what happened.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Bystander effect is strong
^This

Plus we do live in the age of Covid so I can somewhat understand people not being too willing to get into physical confrontations though I will say I'm shocked no-one called the police. Literally the only reason other than the bystander effect I can think of is the signal was really terrible but I can't imagine that rally being the situation as such. It's just how fucked up the world is that this went down.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I agree though. I get being paralysed with fear. But there really is no excuse for not calling the police. That makes them culpable for what happened.
Well it's possible that everyone thought that someone else was already doing it. That happens too, everyone is watching an event and you assume someone is calling the cops but everyone else is also assuming that the cops or being called already and the result is nobody is calling the cops.

While it is mind boggling, it isn't all that far fetched that this could happen.

Personally I would have run over and dropped kicked that ************. I don't care what weapon he may have had. I probably would have waited to see if authorities were coming but the moment he tore he pants I would have been on him like white on rice beating the shit out of him. But I'm ex-military so I might be special in that regard.

I have found a new censored term on the site. Mother-facker is banned now it seems.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
At least they got it on video so this fuckbag wont get away with it.
You have to recognize the immense failure of humanity in this case. "At least they got it on video?" Why didn't anyone use that same recording device to contact authorities? Or the bigger question: what was their intent in recording the on-going incident? To have proof of a "crazy incident on the train" to share with their friends? If I see someone being murdered, the last thing I personally want is video evidence if I've not done the responsible thing and contacted the police to potentially prevent the murder.

Sign of the times. Cell phones and social media have conditioned us to believe reality stops at the end of our arms, and everything else is entertainment or something "wild" to be discussed anecdotally after the fact.

Personal anecdote, so take it as you please: a few years back, I was at my local watering hole, and an incident broke out between a very drunk older man and a young woman. Nothing sexual, but they were having a disagreement that had escalated into yelling. Everyone just watched and gossiped about how much this man had had to drink, and yes, a couple people were recording on their cell phone. I tried to stay uninvolved, but eventually the scrum went outside where this man slapped the young woman; that was it. I got involved, and as the damage had been done, tried my best to restrain the man and calm him down. Someone finally called the cops, but while I had the guy's arms pinned to his sides, the woman he slapped and her friend proceeded to beat him. I tried to tell them to stop and wait for the cops, even tried shielding him by turning him into a wall giving my back to the women who were just throwing haymaker after haymaker, but it didn't work; after about 45 seconds, his blood was all over me, but I didn't let him go for fear the assault would turn into a homicide.

The cops showed up, arrested the guy, the women had since retreated to the place they worked a few doors away, and oh boy, did everyone in the bar have shit to say to the cops about what they saw. I was pissed. Everyone had their version of things, but NO ONE actually did anything except me. Even the bartender, responsible for over-serving him in the first place, had her own "so, what had happened was..." take on the ordeal. You know who didn't talk to the cops? Me. One patron went on to testify at the guy's trial a few weeks later, and actually called ME out for not showing up. I had to check him and remind him that it was because of me that it wasn't worse by orders of magnitude. It was open and shut; I don't know what penalty he received, but he was found guilty; I just really wish the other dozens of people I call "friends" would have stepped up and helped me prevent the situation from getting as bad as it did.

This case is just incredible. How does anyone stand bay and watch someone get raped, let alone multiple someones???

Reactions: Kwak and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You have to recognize the immense failure of humanity in this case. "At least they got it on video?" Why didn't anyone use that same recording device to contact authorities? Or the bigger question: what was their intent in recording the on-going incident? To have proof of a "crazy incident on the train" to share with their friends? If I see someone being murdered, the last thing I personally want is video evidence if I've not done the responsible thing and contacted the police to potentially prevent the murder.

Sign of the times. Cell phones and social media have conditioned us to believe reality stops at the end of our arms, and everything else is entertainment or something "wild" to be discussed anecdotally after the fact.

Personal anecdote, so take it as you please: a few years back, I was at my local watering hole, and an incident broke out between a very drunk older man and a young woman. Nothing sexual, but they were having a disagreement that had escalated into yelling. Everyone just watched and gossiped about how much this man had had to drink, and yes, a couple people were recording on their cell phone. I tried to stay uninvolved, but eventually the scrum went outside where this man slapped the young woman; that was it. I got involved, and as the damage had been done, tried my best to restrain the man and calm him down. Someone finally called the cops, but while I had the guy's arms pinned to his sides, the woman he slapped and her friend proceeded to beat him. I tried to tell them to stop and wait for the cops, even tried shielding him by turning him into a wall giving my back to the women who were just throwing haymaker after haymaker, but it didn't work; after about 45 seconds, his blood was all over me, but I didn't let him go for fear the assault would turn into a homicide.

The cops showed up, arrested the guy, the women had since retreated to the place they worked a few doors away, and oh boy, did everyone in the bar have shit to say to the cops about what they saw. I was pissed. Everyone had their version of things, but NO ONE actually did anything except me. Even the bartender, responsible for over-serving him in the first place, had her own "so, what had happened was..." take on the ordeal. You know who didn't talk to the cops? Me. One patron went on to testify at the guy's trial a few weeks later, and actually called ME out for not showing up. I had to check him and remind him that it was because of me that it wasn't worse by orders of magnitude. It was open and shut; I don't know what penalty he received, but he was found guilty; I just really wish the other dozens of people I call "friends" would have stepped up and helped me prevent the situation from getting as bad as it did.

This case is just incredible. How does anyone stand bay and watch someone get raped, let alone multiple someones???
Thank you. I didn't even want to respond to that. Cuz my words have been far unkind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Paralyzed by the situation really. It's not some obsession for social media clout or anything like that, i don't think. It's possible but I don't think so because there aren't many places you could even use footage like that for anything anyway.

But as I said, people get scared and it's one thing to claim you'd do better but it's another to be in that situation. It's crazy how real reactions happen.

Sucks man.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
They didn't do anything because they will have remembered the hijackings back in the 1970s, when the passengers would almost always be released, and the terrorists had control of the cockpit which gave them a vastly more devastating threat than a gun: the ability to crash the plane.

The passengers attempted to storm the cockpit on the last plane almost certainly because it was significantly later than the others. News of the other planes will have come through to those with mobile phones and they realised that they had nothing to lose.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Paralyzed by the situation really. It's not some obsession for social media clout or anything like that, i don't think. It's possible but I don't think so because there aren't many places you could even use footage like that for anything anyway.

But as I said, people get scared and it's one thing to claim you'd do better but it's another to be in that situation. It's crazy how real reactions happen.

Sucks man.
Paralyzed out of fear, but maintaining the presence of mind to break out their phones, find the camera app, switch to video and record the whole thing? I'm sorry, they don't get the "trauma" pass in this case.