Phrases That Make You "Cringe"

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, I think everyone has that one phrase or word that makes them cringe. So what is yours? And bonus points if you say it yourself making it even worse.

I'll start with two phrases.

"It was in the last place I looked."
Okay, so I know what people are trying to say when they use this phrase. They are trying to say that they've been looking for something for a while and were running out of ideas. But I know what they are literally saying and I always want to reply, "Why would you keep looking after you found it?" I mean do you think the TV remote you just found in the fridge is your remotes evil twin? Is there a possibility that it came from a parallel dimension? I know that sounds ridiculous, but seriously that phrase bugs me.

"That's an explanation, not an excuse."
Okay, so I say this one from time to time. Some of you may have seen me state this in a few threads here from time to time. It's a great phrase to use to counter crappy defenses against why someone did something stupid or wrong. "Being drunk simply explains your actions, it does not excuse them." So, why do I cringe every time I use it? I adopted this phrase from my mom. Some of you already know what that means. She used it against me a few times. And honestly, there was no counter argument to that. Granted she was right, but remembering how she used it on me every time I use it myself is kind of bitter sweet.

Okay, Escapists. What about you. Any phrases that make you cringe?

Shadowcreed

Jun 27, 2011
There's a saying in my language that goes like this - 'Laten we hun een poepie laten ruiken!'

which roughly translates to - lets make them smell a fart -

Dumbest saying ever.. Meaning would be -lets show them what we've got-
you really hear that sentence a lot during sports events and the likes.. God I hate it.

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
Because I said so.
This takes the price. This sentence makes me want to take something hard and introduce it to the speakers head.

No, not because you said so. I require a reason for why you are saying what you are saying or wanting me to do something you want me to do.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Seek and ye shall find

If i'm looking for something and i ask someone if they know where it is and they say that, it really bugs me. if they don't know, they could just so 'no'. When I do find it and they get all smug going 'see, i told you you'd find it if you looked' it just annoys me more.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
"Thanks for proving my point." Or some variation. I see it here all the time.

It's rude, petty, obnoxious and - worst of all - NEVER true. I have yet to see a single individual in this forum use it when their opponent in an argument actually said something that proved their point. They just do it to be childish, and I cringe every time I see it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
NightmareLuna said:
I think this one explains itself. "Have faith".
I take it that you are an atheist. Or a priest. It's the latter, right?

Seriphina

Apr 24, 2010
hm not so much a phrase but when people say pecific instead of Specific! OMG it grates on me! We used to have a modern studies teacher who would say it and I was a kid thinking "YOU ARE A TEACHER! How are you getting this wrong?!"

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Presently? My sister saying 'dude'... she's so middle-class that anything remotely resembling street-talk that comes out in her middle-England accent sounds just so off.

Gammayun

Aug 23, 2011
"in a minute" because it never a minute, when its actually sevral minutes why do people lie to me. :(

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Presently? My sister saying 'dude'... she's so middle-class that anything remotely resembling street-talk that comes out in her middle-England accent sounds just so off.
Wow... as far as I know dude in that sense comes out of the 60's California surf scene, street it is not.

for me, "yummy mummy" god I hate the middle class English some times, also "it's just a theory" only because you don't know what theory means you inbred butt sniffer.

xFrankieGirlx

Sep 12, 2011
Seriphina said:
hm not so much a phrase but when people say pecific instead of Specific! OMG it grates on me! We used to have a modern studies teacher who would say it and I was a kid thinking "YOU ARE A TEACHER! How are you getting this wrong?!"
Agreed. Also when people say 'I could of done that.'

"HAVE", MOTHERF*CKER, CAN YOU PRONOUNCE IT?

Oh people are so silly :3

Sep 14, 2009
Mr Thin said:
"Thanks for proving my point." Or some variation. I see it here all the time.

It's rude, petty, obnoxious and - worst of all - NEVER true. I have yet to see a single individual in this forum use it when their opponent in an argument actually said something that proved their point. They just do it to be childish, and I cringe every time I see it.
haha this is true. it does get to be cringe worthy on here sometimes, even when i'm not part of that argument/discussion at all.

OT:

in real life my dad constantly tries to reference his younger life to what i'm doing right now, saying how he had it so much harder and how i don't try/know half of what he did at that age..

it just gets me to explode, especially based on the fact he couldn't use the computer to save his life...(literally, if he had to send an e-mail saying "Don't kill me." within 10 minutes of starting up the computer, that shit wouldn't happen.)

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
I'll agree with Haplon. "It is just a Theory" has got to be the stupidest thing someone can say when talking about a scientific theory. And only proves the ignorance of the person saying it.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
1. "My bad." Your bad what?

2. "I'm good." Please define good & evil.

3. "I could care less." Then you care.

4. "Asshole." A pit for a hoofed mammal of the horse family.

All ignorant & imbecilic statements.

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
xFrankieGirlx said:
Seriphina said:
Agreed. Also when people say 'I could of done that.'

"HAVE", MOTHERF*CKER, CAN YOU PRONOUNCE IT?

Oh people are so silly :3
maybe they mean "could've", which is contraction of "could have", and is grammatically correct.

OT:

Feb-YOU-ary instead of Feb-RU-ary
the phrase "same difference" (no, you mean "same thing")

there are many more, but i'm tired and brain not work good this early

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
catalyst8 said:
1. "My bad." Your bad what?

2. "I'm good." Please define good & evil.

3. "I could care less." Then you care.

4. "Asshole." A pit for a hoofed mammal of the horse family.

All ignorant & imbecilic statements.
How do you feel about the term "bro"? Not just in the "you mad, bro?" troll comment, but just in general? For example, when a friend calls you bro.