Phrases That Make You "Cringe"

Kadoodle

Nov 2, 2010
Bluntman1138 said:
I'll agree with Haplon. "It is just a Theory" has got to be the stupidest thing someone can say when talking about a scientific theory. And only proves the ignorance of the person saying it.
This times a million. There are no words for the rage I feel when the religious folk out west use this argument.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Being smart is adaptation and more importantly, the willingness to adapt. It's being able to agree with or become what benefits. Lots of the stuff here are just people being snotty and posh.
I could care less makes sense though.

ThyReaper

Feb 14, 2010
1. Bro.
2. Anything prayer related.
3. The generic Youtube comments, you know what I'm talking about.
4. Fail.

More to come.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
uzo said:
"You're a(n) 'XYZ', you wouldn't understand."

Where XYZ = man/dolphin/tax payer/mammal/whatever

Just because I am or am not XYZ doesn't mean I can't sympathise/empathise. It's the kind of shit people say when they do not actually want to discuss anything and expect everyone around them to just agree and MIND THOSE EGGSHELLS!!!
Yes, I hate that. I've been told that a few times. It's really annoying. Even if we don't understand exactly doesn't the fact that we're trying count for something? To totally disregard the effort being made by the another person to understand is quite frustrating. Perhaps even disrespectful. It seems to be the people that use that defense don't want you to understand.

D-Pad

Jul 15, 2011
I'm gonna go ahead and say basically all that corny crap from JRPG scripts. The power of friendship will restore light, peace, and happiness throughout the world for the rest of time! Am I right, guys?

Also attention seeking crap like commenting on the Dislike Bar (4 people work for Black Mesa. Oh ho ho ho), and trying to start political arguments an flame wars in the comments of something that is barely political to start with.

In reality, I could actually just extend this to 80% of the comments on YouTube. All that stuff. Really annoying.

galdon2004

Mar 7, 2009
Saltyk said:
"That's an explanation, not an excuse."
Okay, so I say this one from time to time. Some of you may have seen me state this in a few threads here from time to time. It's a great phrase to use to counter crappy defenses against why someone did something stupid or wrong. "Being drunk simply explains your actions, it does not excuse them." So, why do I cringe every time I use it? I adopted this phrase from my mom. Some of you already know what that means. She used it against me a few times. And honestly, there was no counter argument to that. Granted she was right, but remembering how she used it on me every time I use it myself is kind of bitter sweet.
my mom did that one backwards; she'd call every explanation for doing anything an excuse, and demand to know 'why' I did something. Eventually I learned not even to bother explaining anything to her because she'd just pull stupid stuff like that.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
galdon2004 said:
Saltyk said:
"That's an explanation, not an excuse."
Okay, so I say this one from time to time. Some of you may have seen me state this in a few threads here from time to time. It's a great phrase to use to counter crappy defenses against why someone did something stupid or wrong. "Being drunk simply explains your actions, it does not excuse them." So, why do I cringe every time I use it? I adopted this phrase from my mom. Some of you already know what that means. She used it against me a few times. And honestly, there was no counter argument to that. Granted she was right, but remembering how she used it on me every time I use it myself is kind of bitter sweet.
my mom did that one backwards; she'd call every explanation for doing anything an excuse, and demand to know 'why' I did something. Eventually I learned not even to bother explaining anything to her because she'd just pull stupid stuff like that.
Well, obviously both of our mothers were placing us in no win arguments. It tends to happen with parents and children, especially when the child has done something to upset the parent. Though, I think my mother's phrase actually works out pretty well. And I'm not just saying that because she's my mother.

Darthbawls77

May 18, 2011
"Ok sir, no need to swear?"

"Whatever!"

"U jelly?" This last one makes me mad and giggle at the same time I cant quite explain it.

sivlin

Feb 8, 2010
The majority of you are ridiculous. I feel as though half of this shit doesn't actually bother you guys... More like you are coming up with moronic issues just to sound the most 'elite'.

My least favorite answer to this thread: "I could care less".

Everyone knows what this means when someone says it. Regardless, I could care less works even if they didn't mean it in that way. To be honest, I think it works BETTER than the way everyone originally means it.

"I had an awesome day!"
"I could care less!" - Implying that there are other topics that would be less likely to achieve any sort of care, but it is not necessarily the case.
"I could not care less!" - Implying that there is absolutely nothing in the world that they would be less likely to care for. Which is normally a lie anyways.

Anyways, to end with a bang:

I could of cared less about what you should of done because I said so. its there perogative. That is it's color, and its over their.

^^ I had some trouble creating this message to the first pagers.

bruggs

Jul 29, 2011
"Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda"

Gosh, the circumstances that made me unable to do something I otherwise would have, suuuuuure look -silly- in the face of your rhyme.

Saxm13

Feb 22, 2010
ABSOLUTELY ANYTIME anyone calls something they don't like "gay".

>=(

Makes me wanna rip em apart

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
"EPIC FAIL" It used to be ok when used by online communities, but I hate preps using the phrase.
"The cake is a lie." It was an extremely clever joke and twist until it got ran into the ground.
"Because." I hate when people try to affirm their actions with this argument. If you didn't have good a reason, why would you do it?
"I lost my faith in (insert anything here)" I see this alot, and I understand where it's coming from usually, but too much.
"It's just a theory" To discredit Big Bang Theory when Creationism is a theory too.
"LEGALIZE MARIJUANA! ETC ETC" I hate this because every person who has ever tried weed will instantly start saying this, 4:20, blaze etc way too much. While I agree with it's legalization I don't walk around constantly spouting about it and how it would single handedly save the economy.
"Insert Bible Passage Number Here" I don't like it because it's mostly my Christian friends sending that to me when I talk to them like words are gonna magically cheer me up without giving me proper indication of why I should read it, or how it may help me when I'm done. Idk, I got my own problems with religion, and I don't like how when they do it they kinda make it sound like my problems are so trite that a few sentences will suddenly set me on the right path when they know I used to read the Bible and try the God thing. (Though to avoid possible flaming, I am tolerate, I just don't like being prescribed the good word when I just want to talk about something.)

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Kitsuna10060 said:
catalyst8 said:
The esteemed Mr. Fry is only expressing his opinion. Incidentally I despise Wilde almost as much as I detest Restoration Comedy, but to address Fry's point:
I take no issue with inventions which enrich the language, but I most certainly challenge those which denude its potency. Language is the greatest invention of our species, & to strive for its inferiority is an absolute crime - an unbearable shame of such utter stupidity it genuinely saddens me.
2 things,
1) way to totally miss the point of the video.
Then please enlighten me.

Kitsuna10060 said:
and
2) congratulations, EVERYTHING you've posted on this thread has managed to get on my nerves to such a degree I can safely say this will likely be our only interaction, if only for my own sanity.

but since your so 'lingual superior', I'm inclined to ask, aside from the pre-stated 'Real life grammar checker' you like to do, what do you do with these skills? do you write, anything? you use it to present something to some one in a manner that might cause said person to want to expand their own lingual short comings?
None of that makes any difference to the subject under discussion, & to pretend that it does is to try to force two logical fallacies simultaneously. The first is your less than subtle ad hominem (a statement directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining) while the second is your equally spurious appeal to authority (if someone's published or performed that doesn't address the subject under discussion, & is an irrelevance).
As it happens I have had some of my work performed in off-west end & fringe theatres like the BAC & the Camden Roundhouse, & have worked as a lecturer. Is it relevant to this discussion? Absolutely not, for exactly the reasons I explained.

Kitsuna10060 said:
and before you throw that back at me
yes, i write for my own amusement
no, my 'typing vocabulary' sucks, unfortunately
Good for you for writing, but why do you accept your poor grasp of grammar & vocabulary? You obviously aren't happy with it so address it & the problem will be solved.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
catalyst8 said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
catalyst8 said:
The esteemed Mr. Fry is only expressing his opinion. Incidentally I despise Wilde almost as much as I detest Restoration Comedy, but to address Fry's point:
I take no issue with inventions which enrich the language, but I most certainly challenge those which denude its potency. Language is the greatest invention of our species, & to strive for its inferiority is an absolute crime - an unbearable shame of such utter stupidity it genuinely saddens me.
2 things,
1) way to totally miss the point of the video.
Then please enlighten me.
as i understand from the video "knowing how to use words correctly is good, even important depending on the situation, but not the most important thing one should concern them selves with"
like picking apart 'I'm good' on the definition isn't really worth while, yes, they aren't using the correct 'i am feeling good' but at the end of the day its not really a worth while nit to pic, and really only makes the person correcting them look like a tool

catalyst8 said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
and
2) congratulations, EVERYTHING you've posted on this thread has managed to get on my nerves to such a degree I can safely say this will likely be our only interaction, if only for my own sanity.

but since your so 'lingual superior', I'm inclined to ask, aside from the pre-stated 'Real life grammar checker' you like to do, what do you do with these skills? do you write, anything? you use it to present something to some one in a manner that might cause said person to want to expand their own lingual short comings?
None of that makes any difference to the subject under discussion, & to pretend that it does is to try to force two logical fallacies simultaneously. The first is your less than subtle ad hominem (a statement directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining) while the second is your equally spurious appeal to authority (if someone's published or performed that doesn't address the subject under discussion, & is an irrelevance).
As it happens I have had some of my work performed in off-west end & fringe theatres like the BAC & the Camden Roundhouse, & have worked as a lecturer. Is it relevant to this discussion? Absolutely not, for exactly the reasons I explained.
>.>;; yeah, I'm gonna have to say just ignore that bit, was kinda annoyed when i hammered that out, your posts smack of a smugness that grates on my nerves, don't mind being wrong, do mind when it feels like 'I'm better cause I'm right'

catalyst8 said:
Kitsuna10060 said:
and before you throw that back at me
yes, i write for my own amusement
no, my 'typing vocabulary' sucks, unfortunately
Good for you for writing, but why do you accept your poor grasp of grammar & vocabulary? You obviously aren't happy with it so address it & the problem will be solved.
I'm not as hung up on grammar(clearly) as i am spelling,(and i thank the gods for spell check on the forums here) and in the case of larger words, using them right.

and, fyi, my writing is all fiction and fantasy based story's case sci-fi has a nasty habit of requiring SOME scientific knowledge, lazy yes, but i like magic more then tech anyway

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
WolfmanNougat said:
So, there's a couple of phrases I just don't get or seem backwards to me:

"Looks the dog's bollocks" = "looks good". I dunno about you, but I've never considered canine testicles to be a particularly pleasant sight. And for some reason whenever I hear the phrase I picture a bulldog. Not sure why.

"Allow that" a la "fuck that". Wouldn't allowing it mean welcoming it?

But the big cringer for me has always been comparing anything unfavourably to Hitler without any indication of irony. And that was long before I'd heard of Godwin's law. I'm pretty sure you're all mature enough to understand why I don't need to elaborate but suffice it to say that you'd have to do a lot of really nasty stuff on an astronomical level to even be considered equal to him, let alone worse. I get the implication but it's just a wee bit extreme, isn't it?
With regards to the bolded section, this is actually from a corruption of the original Meccano sets: 'box deluxe' and 'box standard'. If you switch the first letters of 'box deluxe', you get 'dox beluxe', which is then mangled slightly to produce 'dog's bollocks'. Likewise, 'box standard' was corrupted to form the phrase 'bog standard'.

Therefore, the two phrases reflect their original forms: 'dog's bollocks' to describe something that is of higher quality than usual, and 'bog standard' to describe something completely normal.

The more you know!

OT: I can't come up with anything I haven't already seen here, so I shall reiterate: 'I could care less.' Damn, it annoys me when people say that.

Also, 'the exception that proves the rule', taken the way most people use it, is a logical fallacy. Since it is a rule in its own right, that would mean there must be a rule out there without an exception to be an exception to this rule. However, said rule would not have an exception to prove it, and therefore would not be a rule, thus invalidating the exception that proves the rule 'the exception that proves the rule', which invalidates that rule, causing it to contradict itself. Phew.

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
Melon Hunter said:
With regards to the bolded section, this is actually from a corruption of the original Meccano sets: 'box deluxe' and 'box standard'. If you switch the first letters of 'box deluxe', you get 'dox beluxe', which is then mangled slightly to produce 'dog's bollocks'. Likewise, 'box standard' was corrupted to form the phrase 'bog standard'.

Therefore, the two phrases reflect their original forms: 'dog's bollocks' to describe something that is of higher quality than usual, and 'bog standard' to describe something completely normal.

The more you know!
Wow, that actually makes a lot of sense! Thanks for clearing that up.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
"wanna join my clan?"

I... seriously... hate... the word.. CLAN.
Stigma caused by Counterstrike. Thank you valve!