Phrases that piss you off

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I'm not racist but...

Yes you are.

If you don't like it then don't read it!!11!!!11!

How the hell are you supposed to know you dislike it if you don't read it? :s

On a similar vein "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" I understand not to be a ***** for the sake of it but you can't expect praise all the time. You're gonna fuck up or do something wrong occasionally and people are going to have to tell you. I might be taking it too literally but some people say it to mean, "only tell me things that I want to hear!"

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To me that would be-
"If you don't like it then stop watching/ reading/ listenning to it!"

Ok I admit that phrase is something I used to agreed with but overtime I realise it is very easy to counter on the aspect or hoping that it will get better later on! Ok granted that phrase can still be valid if you still watched/ reading/ listenning far longer than expected. For example, I watched Soul Eater NOT and I didn't liked it but I watched a few more on hoping it will get better later on but overall I gave up watching anymore of it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
"If you think it's crappy, why don't you make something better?!"

If you use this in an argument, I will end it. I can critique anything I wish and you can counter my critique. But unless I say "I could do better!" or something similar. You can not bring this up. I never said I could do better, I just said whatever we're discussing is shit.

Eevee's above me tends to get on nerves as well. On YouTube for my music I constantly see that. How can I know if I like it if I don't fucking read/watch/listen to it!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I hate (insert whatever)

No you don't, hate is a strong feeling, it may have upset you that Michael Bay has changed the Turtle origin story, you might be a bit pissed as you stare at your original Leonardo figurine with tears in your eyes, but hate? No, so stop using it!

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Well, one that I hate more than anything is the 'don't snitch' and 'snitches get stitches' kind of phrases and bullshit. I'm a detective/cop. I think it should be self explanatory at this point.

Saltarius

Aug 30, 2011
thaluikhain said:
IceForce said:
Alright, I thought of another phrase a bit more on topic. A phrase that DOES piss me off.

The "shitty lock" / "good key" analogy.

It just plays into sexist stereotypes, where a women who sleeps around is considered "slutty", whereas if a man does the same thing then that's perfectly fine.
Argh, yes.

"If you don't try, you won't succeed" or somesuch, used to imply that you will succeed if you do try. Which really isn't a given, and obviously trying and failing can be worse than not trying at all.
It's a really goddamn dumb phrase. You could seriously make one up for fucking anything.

Oh, well if a pencil sharpener can sharpen any pencil, it's a good sharpener, but if a pencil is worn down with too much sharpening, it's a shitty pencil.

Not a good mental image, is it?

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
When people try realy hard to diminish something that makes another person happy.
I don't like that. As long as it does not hurt you or anyone else, then just let it be.

To keep it on topic, these could be a lot of different phrases or responses to other phrases.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
It doesn't really piss me off, but it does annoy me:

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people"

Can't argue with that, can you?

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
At the risk of sounding like I'm taking a potshot at the OP, I will say that I dislike people who say "Shut up" or something along those lines in lieu of actually explaining why they take issue with what the other person is saying.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
archiebawled said:
IceForce said:
It just plays into sexist stereotypes, where a women who sleeps around is considered "slutty", whereas if a man does the same thing then that's perfectly fine.
I found that amusing as a jokey response to the complaint about names for people who sleep around - do people really say/use it seriously? If so then that's a little depressing.
You know, I have heard many, many people complain about the analogy, but I have never once seen it actually used. Not saying it is never used, but I have never seen it.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
IceForce said:
A

The "shitty lock" / "good key" analogy.

While I get what the phrase is referring to, why a picture of a duck? Am I missing something here?

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
It bugs me when someone tries to talk like Yahtzhee and says "but I digress," when they weren't digressing at all. It's like they think it means nothing, so they throw it around whenever they want. The same when someone uses former and latter incorrectly. Oh, and it's not like I'm saying that grammar point was fairly recently misused but later fixed in an Escapist review or anything... :p

Honestly, if you're going to use a phrase or a buzzword you heard from someone, please look up the exact meaning so you know what you're actually saying instead of what you *think* you're saying.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
Oh, and something I forgot at first.

"You just hate *insert popular thing here* because you're trying to be cool by hating on what's popular!"

Or anything along those lines.

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't everybody have at least one popular game/book/movie/band/whatever that they don't like even though loved by many others? Hell, I there was a fun little observation on the subject that's made on another forum that I'd like to share here:

no one will ever like every single thing, and we all take our turn disliking things that are widely popular

And as I'm typing this, I've remembered another often uttered phrase that I dislike:

"That's just my opinion"

As for why I dislike it, I'll let the late Douglas Adams cut to the heart of it:

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.??All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
In a similar vein to yours, '... makes me lose faith in humanity' will always induce eye-rolling for me.

It's dramatic and it's always used in relation to shitty things, like something that happened in a television show or some terrible/embarrassing thing done by one individual.

I think the reason that it really bugs me is because it implies a kind of smug sense of superiority, as if the person saying it is above the foibles of humanity and it just a disappointed observer.
You can tell that anyone who says that probably doesn't go outside much.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Well, a lot of the stuff people have said are also on my list, but the first thing that came to my mind was this:

Whenever a fandom makes up some bullshit pun-type-thing to describe their own fandom. Doesn't matter which fandom. Doesn't matter if I LIKE that thing in question. It annoys me every damn time. This includes but is not limited to:

-Brony
-Trekkie
-Lostie
-Gleek
-Whovian
-Sherlockian

The list goes on, but you get the idea. What's wrong with just LIKING something? Why do you have to pretend you're a member of some kind of fucking exclusive club?

RUNNERS UP

-Lost my faith in humanity!

-There goes my childhood!

-You never the only one. (Well, no shit. Next you're gonna tell me that when I said it was raining cats and dogs, actual cats and dogs were NOT falling from the fucking sky!)

-Whenever people refer to their pets as if they're children, or more specifically, as if they (the owner) are the parent of their pet. ("Did you miss me? Did you miss your mama?" SHUT UP! IT'S A FUCKING CAT! THAT IS NOT THE SAME RELATIONSHIP! And stop talking about yourself in the third person. It's weird.)

-I've recently realized that I can't stand the syllable "'sup". This is because my brother has taken to greeting me by saying "sup" every damn time we meet. I roll my eyes every single time.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
1.Any meme. or picture thats been captioned with something the poster thinks is witty or clever. think for yourself you sheep!

2. "i could care less" Americans tend to use this one, but they mean i couldn't care less. now i can forgive the genocide of the letter C in their crusade to turn them all into S's and Z's, i dont even mind the spelling changes that make the word sound wrong like color BUT "i could care less" is simply bad language. all it means is you do care , a bit or a lot but you do care.

3. similar to 2, "hold down the fort" why? were not date rapists, its not going to blow away is it? it should simply be "hold the fort"

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
It's a word, not a phrase, but I'm gonna say it counts...

"This."

Fucking what? THIS. Unless you have something useful to add, don't fucking say anything. Don't quote somebody and say "THIS." Why do you need to add "this"? It's not needed. If you have nothing to add, let the quote speak for itself. Fuck.

"I speak my mind" comes in equal, though. Actually, thinking about it as I type, I hate that one MORE. People only say that, or variations of it, when they're being shitty. "You're ugly. Don't worry, I'm just speaking my mind/being honest." Fuck offffff. You're being a dick. You're being rude. You're being nasty.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
"It's my opinion".

1. I already know it's your opinion, dummy.
2. Saying it's your opinion doesn't absolve you from having to justify it.
3. It also doesn't make it immune to criticism.

Too many people seem to think that just by adding "IMO" somewhere in a sentence, they have a license to say any ridiculous bullshit they want without being criticized for it, because hey, it's their opinion.

And that goes double when you shout "FREE SPEECH!" whenever someone calls you out on the shit that came out of your mouth. I'm not even American and I know what free speech is better than those morons.

There's also "I could care less", for extremely obvious reasons.