Phrases that piss you off

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Colour Scientist said:
In a similar vein to yours, '... makes me lose faith in humanity' will always induce eye-rolling for me.

It's dramatic and it's always used in relation to shitty things, like something that happened in a television show or some terrible/embarrassing thing done by one individual.

I think the reason that it really bugs me is because it implies a kind of smug sense of superiority, as if the person saying it is above the foibles of humanity and it just a disappointed observer.
Actually, I see this overused, but it really means a person's having their personal myopia challenged, and they don't like the way others actually work. Most people believe that people are people, and are taught that everyone's created equal - and thus, they imagine that everyone should be inherently like them.

It's largely caused by people finding most people don't actually live up to the moral standards they've been brought up with, even after trying to see the situation from the other point of view. Loss of faith in humanity is when you realize you're in the minority (Or the offensive action is widespread)

"Holy shit, there actually are Christians/Muslims that preach hatred, murder, and intolerance and celebrate military prowess? And believe that the religious texts can be read without understanding the context in which they were written, and audience they were written for? And why the hell is my own faith protecting pedophiles?"
"Holy shit, there actually are guys who feel they are entitled to a female's body?"
"What sort of person would walk out on his job after bugging me for weeks about trying to get the position just because his girlfriend came around - right in the middle of training!?"
"Wait... who the hell thinks it's acceptable to take company property for personal use without at least clearing it with the manager first?"

The one that pisses me off is "There's no logical reason for person to do X" - people are not logical, rational creatures.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
Qizx said:
Happyninja42 said:
IceForce said:
Alright, I thought of another phrase a bit more on topic. A phrase that DOES piss me off.

The "shitty lock" / "good key" analogy.

It just plays into sexist stereotypes, where a women who sleeps around is considered "slutty", whereas if a man does the same thing then that's perfectly fine.
Odd, I never even considered it was referring to gender sexual activities when I saw that meme until you said it did. I assumed it was just a general statement about quality of work and effectiveness.
Then you are quite possibly one of the most innocent people I've ever run across. I am shaking my head trying to figure out how it would refer to the quality of work.
...because it's talking about a faulty lock and a key? Sorry I'm not innocent, I guess I just don't automatically see sexual references in everything presented to me, shocking I know. Not every meme is talking about sex, in fact lots of them do, and some of them are just statements that someone finds witty and clever. Observations on life. So yeah, I saw that and thought it was one of those *shrugs*.
Hate to say it but that saying has been around LONG before memes were a thing, someone just decided to put in on a meme.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
archiebawled said:
"I could care less." the words mean literally the opposite of "I couldn't care less."

David Mitchell makes the case quite nicely here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw
OMG yes...so much this...It was the first thing I thought of when I read this thread.

Incidentally...I also wonder where "crapload" comes from. I can understand "boatload." However, "crapload" makes no sense, unless we are referring to something horrendous. In such a case, this phrase might be equal to the task. Otherwise, I fail to see how it signifies "a large amount."

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I really hate when people use the phrase "PC Master Race" unironically. It just implies such an annoying level of elitism and arrogance.

I just get really annoyed by people who not only feel smugly superior to others just because of the games they play, but they also feel like they need to feel the need to rub their supposed superiority in everyone else's face. It's like they can't even feel good about themselves unless they denigrate others.

We all get it! You're proud of the video games you buy for some reason. You don't have to be such a dick about it.

Seraj33 said:
When people try realy hard to diminish something that makes another person happy.
I don't like that. As long as it does not hurt you or anyone else, then just let it be.
Exactly.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
"I'll get straight to the point"

Congratulations, you have just delayed getting to your point with six unnecessary words.

http://youtu.be/FFZkbDWvELo?t=4m4s

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Scars Unseen said:
ClockworkPenguin said:
conmag9 said:
Most "wise" sayings that are simply tautologies. "What will be, will be" and "It is what it is" come up frequently. I call them out just about every time.

"Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less" is another one that drives me to frustration faster than a race car with rocket jets.

There are others, no doubt. Especially the needlessly dramatic statements people often make over little things, but those aren't specific phrases so much as archetypes for phrases.
The phrase "what will be will be" is only a tautology when read in a strictly literal sense. It is an attempt to communicate the idea that some things are out of our control and can only be accepted/tolerated/endured. Similarly "it is what it is" means that the subject has certain characteristics, and railing against them wont change that.

Now, it's perfectly possible to argue against those statements. Why should we accept things as they are? How can we be sure we can do nothing? But just because they aren't necessarily right doesn't mean they are meaningless. (You could argue that something can't be wrong unless it has meaning: "fhaglhg" isn't wrong because it isn't actually a statement of anything, just gibberish)
Not a fan of inevitability myself. One of my favorite Douglas Adams quotes deals with that topic. "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
I've always loved that quote, it helps you to stop viewing things negatively and put unnecessary barriers in front of yourself.

But with the phrase I always saw it as more of a stoic way of looking at things.

There are things in life people tend to moralize as bad or terrible and really it's mostly just perception.

Some people freak right the fuck out if they fail a test or something, and really it's not that bad.

Reminding yourself "it is what it is" is a way to remove your perception of it as bad and focus on dealing with the situation.

If you failed the test you can't realistically go back in time and fix it, so you have to focus on the present as a world where you failed that test. What do you do now? Maybe study harder. Maybe drop out and start a business. You'll have options if you stop focusing on things you can't change and look at things you can change.

Both those quotes probably work better together, but I can get how it'd be annoying if they're coming from people who are probably just using them as word filler.

OT: I tend to get irritated by people who say pop instead of soda... almost entirely because I say soda in a state where pop is the main word and get tons of shit for it XD

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
"It's a double-edged sword" when used to mean something that's both good and bad. It makes no sense. A sword that has two edges is more dangerous to the target, because it can cut both on the forward stroke and the back stroke without having to turn the weapon around. If anything, it should mean "bad and worse", as the sword cuts both ways.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
"You're reading too much into it." ~ Said whenever a person is attempting to start a critical discussion of the thematic meaning of a piece of popular art, usually accompanied by some variation of "It's just supposed to be a fun movie/game/tv show! It was never meant to have any deeper meaning." That may be true; the work may not have been intended to have deeper meaning, but it does anyway, because it was made by people. All people have values and beliefs, and those values will always bleed into the art they create, even if it's only subconsciously, and that unintended meaning absolutely worth exploring.

Plus, what these people are basically saying is "I think you're wasting your time and energy discussing this, so I'm going to waste my time and energy to tell you that you're wasting your time and energy, because I think I know how you should be spending your time better than you do." And that's the best case scenario, because at least that implies a condescending sort of concern for the other person. Worst case scenario, what they're really saying is "I don't want you to make me think too hard about something I love, because then it might ruin my fun," which is a rather insecure reason for attempting to shut down a discussion.

If you don't think a discussion is worth having, then that's fine; don't have the discussion. Just don't chime in to tell others that they're "wasting their time," because then you're just being a jerk.

Foehunter82

Jun 25, 2014
Meriatressia said:
PC master race.
The total and utter cretins who use this obviously never saw the zero punctuation video it came from.
Were it was very clearly used to insult pc elitists.

Apparently the idiots who use it are so thick they don't get it.
And they never heard of the association with nazism that the words 'master race' has.
I direct you to Newton's Third Law:

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Those of us that playfully use "PC Master Race," we use it as an offensive retort to console gamers for the many years of "PC gaming is dying" that we as PC gamers had to hear.

We're not idiots, and we're fully aware of the racism and hatred tied to the phrase "Master Race." So, please try to consider things before you start accusing people of stupidity.

That is the statement that annoys me most: "PC Gaming is Dying."

For the record, I have no problems with console gaming in general, but many console gamers are every bit as irritating as many of us PC gamers. I believe strongly in each player utilizing their platform(s) of choice to play games on, but when someone starts throwing around the "PC Gaming is dying," or "PC gaming is dead," I tend to get pissed off.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Scars Unseen said:
I dislike arguments against free speech that are based around the fact that the first amendment only protects you from the American government arresting you for the use of said free speech. Firstly, it's incredibly Americo-centric. There are over 6.5 billion none-Americans in the world that aren't protected by the FA. Should I, as a Brit, have a right to free speech? If you think so, as I do, then the right clearly goes beyond the particular wording of the FA.

More significantly, it ignores the fact that there are myriad ways to stifle free speech that don't involve the state getting involved. You don't need a law against drawing Muhammad or writing novels that some Muslims find offensive if people are fearful enough. Most newspapers wouldn't print the Danish cartoons, not because of the threat of legal ramifications but because of death threats.

You don't need a law against blasphemy if someone who blasphemes loses their jobs, is evicted from their property and shunned by society for doing it. That person's free speech is infringed just as much as if it was the state doing the infringement. Just because you have the legal right to say that you don't think that God exists, doesn't mean you have the right to avoid the social consequences.

You don't need a law against mixed race couples if no landlord will allow you to rent, or no owner will allow you to buy, or no employer will allow you work for them if you are part of one. Just because you have the legal freedom to marry a black woman, doesn't mean you have the freedom to avoid the social consequences of doing so, surely.

Now I agree that freedom of speech shouldn't be absolute, but I think it should be as broad as possible. In general, people shouldn't be losing their jobs because of political opinions for example. It's all too simple to say that it's only a protection from arrest. Free speech is more important than that and should have wider protections.

Totally agree with the rest of your point mind you

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
I really dislike the saying "I won't even lie"

Why do you feel the need to tell me you won't lie? Would you normally be lying to me?

That's the only real phrase I can think of right now that I don't like. When people say "I could care less" I make sure to correct them, especially in verbal conversation when they mean "I couldn't care less", but it doesn't really bother me.

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
Since all the good ones are taken something that annoys me is "think with your heart" and all other functions that are credited to the heart (emotion, courage etc). A lot of people I've met actually thinks the heart does more than pump blood, like storing emotions.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Suhi89 said:
I dislike arguments against free speech that are based around the fact that the first amendment only protects you from the American government arresting you for the use of said free speech. Firstly, it's incredibly Americo-centric. There are over 6.5 billion none-Americans in the world that aren't protected by the FA. Should I, as a Brit, have a right to free speech? If you think so, as I do, then the right clearly goes beyond the particular wording of the FA.
Not necessarily. Merely that you should fall under the same processes as the American counterpart.

Suhi89 said:
More significantly, it ignores the fact that there are myriad ways to stifle free speech that don't involve the state getting involved. You don't need a law against drawing Muhammad or writing novels that some Muslims find offensive if people are fearful enough. Most newspapers wouldn't print the Danish cartoons, not because of the threat of legal ramifications but because of death threats.
The second you come into death threats, free speech no longer protects you because it's considered harassment. People keep quiet because there are limits to how well the law can protect you, as well as general PR.

Suhi89 said:
You don't need a law against blasphemy if someone who blasphemes loses their jobs, is evicted from their property and shunned by society for doing it. That person's free speech is infringed just as much as if it was the state doing the infringement.
People who lose their jobs over PR nightmares tend to be in positions that require them having good PR. Getting kicked out of your place of residence unless you have caused a disturbance is a big no-no for the owners, as per the law that would leave them open to legal and civil liabilities.

Suhi89 said:
Just because you have the legal right to say that you don't think that God exists, doesn't mean you have the right to avoid the social consequences.
Precisely.

Suhi89 said:
You don't need a law against mixed race couples if no landlord will allow you to rent, or no owner will allow you to buy, or no employer will allow you work for them if you are part of one.Just because you have the legal freedom to marry a black woman, doesn't mean you have the freedom to avoid the social consequences of doing so, surely.
There are laws against discrimination, which that would be directly violating. That includes religious grounds and racial grounds alike. Additionally, you can't be kicked out for opinions either unless you cause a massive disturbance.

Uncle Comrade

Feb 28, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
I'm not a "Fill in the Blank" BUT...

Anytime anyone has ever said this in the history of anything, they go on to explain a viewpoint completely in line with "Fill in the Blank"

For example:
I'm not sexist BUT (followed by an incredibly sexist viewpoint)
I'm not racist BUT (followed by an incredibly racist remark)
I'm not a homophobe BUT (followed by something incredibly homophobic)
I'm not a serial killer BUT I did just kill a bunch of people

You adding "But" to the middle of your sentence does not make whatever you're about to say less racist/sexist/homophobic/stupid
Plus you really shouldn't need to tell people that you're not a racist/homophobe/whatever. Not being racist/homophobic/whatever is kind of the default state for most civilised people. It's like "Nobody said you were a racist, why did you feel the need to bring that up?"

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
"They've ruined it!"
By "it" they usually mean their favorite hobby or fandom, and by "they" they mean... well, anyone. Other fans, creators, writers, developers or even cosplayers. The prime example is probably Jessica Nigri's cosplay. Whenever she shows her new sexy costume there will always be people screaming "She ruins my favorite fandom with her boobs!". Oh, did your favorite comics suddenly burst into flames the moment Jessica put on her costume? No? Then shut the fuck up! Your god damn fandom and favorite works will be always be there!

I've also become quite easily irritated when it comes to cosplay. "Oh, she's too Asian for that character. Oh, he doesn't look as tough as that character. Oh, black people should only cosplay black characters". No, no, no! The only valid critique when it comes to cosplay is the critique of COStume and that character's rolePLAY, e.g. if the cosplayer acts like a character if he puts on a performance. That's why it's called a god damn COSPLAY. And it is especially baffling when someone whines about Asians or Black people cosplaying white characters, but a white person cosplaying an Asian anime character?! It's perfectly legit! God damn it. There's also a reason why people say that "cosplay is everyone", because it is! No amount of shit talking or body or skin color shaming can stop a passionate person from making a costume of a character they like and then putting it on to show to everyone.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Qizx said:
Then you are quite possibly one of the most innocent people I've ever run across. I am shaking my head trying to figure out how it would refer to the quality of work.
To be honest this is the first (and only place) I have seen/heard it before.

StormDragonZ

Dec 6, 2013
"I Think"

If you ask someone how they are doing today, and answer with anything including I Think, then are you telling me you're not sure how you're doing right now? You either know or you don't!