Pikachu is dead.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
MassiveGeek said:
Hey, Escapists on the... well, the Escapist(duh).

Recently I started playing Pokémon, or well, I'm replaying Heart Gold to kill my boredom when my brother or mom kicks me off the computer and I have nothing else to do, or when I'm on the bus.

And so I wondered to myself...

Do Pokémon die?

I mean, there's not any hints to it being the case, I think, and it's not like you stumble over corpses in the woods all the time(that is, you never stumble upon anything like that) or you hear some news about an old pokémon passing away...

So what do you think, Escapists? Do pokémon die? Do they just dissapear, and live forever? If they do die, do they decay like all other living creatures or just poof out of existence?

EDIT: Oh, right. *Slaps forehead* I recently read that thing about Cubone wearing it's moms skull. -_- *Forgetful*
And sorry pokémon fans, I have Pokémon Red, borrowed it from a friend but never got around to playing it, I'm such a graphics junkie.

Anyway, I'm still curious as to what happens to them when they're dead. Do they decay, which is most likely, or does something more kid friendly happen?
For a guy with the name 'MassiveGeek', you seem to lack a very vital piece of knowledge.

I'll say this only once.

Ghost Pokémon.

Theyre basically our equivalent of poltergheists, but with greater powers..
If that doesn't confirm they can die..

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
This is Professor Nietzsche. He's been a friend to your family for years. He'll help you start on your Pokemon journey.

The professor hands you a somber black pokeball and simply states:

"Pikachu is dead."

What a great introduction to the wide world of Pokemon!

Rachel317

Nov 15, 2009
I always thought Nurse Joy was particularly sadistic. "We hope to see you again." REALLY, Joy? You WANT to see my injured/fainted Pokemon? You harlot!

OT: Yeah, as people have said, they do die, but it's handled in a very delicate way. Kids play the games, so they can't have the bloody and battered corpses littering the ground (although, there was a particularly gruesome fight in one of the cartoons aired in Japan between a group of Zangooses and Jessie's Seviper - they were all bloody and everything), but they also don't deny that death is a part of life. It's not their job to educate children on death, but I think they approach and handle it very well.

I think they die and decompose just like a normal animal (oh, how morbid and depressing). They're meant to be like our animals just, you know, way more awesome.
Although...I wonder if evolution speeds up the ageing process. I mean, they start out as babies when hatched, grow to adolescence after one evolution, full maturity after the third (for those that have three)...
Does evolution shorten their lifespan? How long would Pichu live as opposed to Pikachu?

re dir

Oct 28, 2010
"In the original Pokémon Red/Blue, when you encounter your rival in Lavender Town he asks whether or not you know what it?s like to have one of your Pokémon die. At this point in the game, he no longer has his Raticate that he used in previous battles. Your rival battle before this took place aboard the S.S. Anne. Your rival?s Raticate sustained serious injuries from the battle? but, because crowding and confusion on the luxury liner, he was unable to make it to a Pokémon Center in time and the Raticate passed away. The real reason your rival is in Lavender Town to begin with is to lay his deceased friend to rest.

Despite all of this, your rival never outwardly tells you that you?re responsible for the death of his Pokémon. He hides his grief and instead channels that energy into the motivation he needed to continue his quest to become Indigo League Champion. The death of his Raticate effectively destroys your rival?s impish, childhood innocence. Although he tells himself that he doesn?t hold you responsible, he subconsciously holds a great deal of resentment towards you which further fuels his ambitions. Tearfully swearing upon his Raticate?s grave to not fail in what he set out to do, he trains hard in hopes of becoming better than you? defeating you? and to eventually make it to the Pokémon League.

Mere moments after he became Indigo League champion, he was defeated? by you. Although he fulfilled his promise to his fallen Pokémon, it was only for a painfully brief instant. In the end, your rival is scolded by his grandfather while you receive the professor?s praise. During the course of the game, you steal your rival?s innocence, crush his dreams, and ultimately snatch away the love of his own grandfather. Oh, and by the way, your rival doesn?t have any parents. He?s an orphan."

http://www.pallettribune.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9567

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I was under the conclusion that they all turn into Ghastlys.
However, with Gen V comming, some of the pokemon are "man-made" which defeats the purpose of pokemon in the first place, they are supposed to be mysterious. That is why I don't read into this too much, I don't want to spoil it.

Sorry about this....

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
For the Cubone to wear its mother's skull one of two things would have to happen.

The head and all it contains would have to decay, leaving just the skull.

Or...

The Cubone would have to canabalise its mother.

As it's mentioned in the Pokédex of all things that a large number of pokémon have diets consisting of a variety of other pokémon. It suggests that they do die.

The ones I find questionable are the rock/steel type Pokémon... Things like Geodude? How are they born? Do they die?

Although I have a theory about how they're born. It's mentioned in the Pokédex entry for Rhypherior that they shoot Geodudes out of their hands... So in that respect, are Geodudes even a species or an unexpected off-shoot of another pokémon documented as a species because it exhibited evolutionary traits and at the time Rhypherior had gone undocumented in the habitat of Geodude...

It's all food for thought.

But then there's another one that's always confused me... Well two now I think about it...

Magnemite and Porygon.

Two classic examples of Pokémon that shouldn't be classified as a species.

No doubt that Magnemite at least exhibits the same level of emotion and loose sentience that other Pokémon have... But Porygon as far as I've seen doesn't.

How does a Porygon die? How do you get more Porygon? Do they naturally occur in the world at all?

I mean in the game they're only available as prizes at coin game centers... So does that mean that Porygon can only be distributed as opposed to being biologically reproduced?

(I mean I know you can't breed them but does that mean that all Porygons are the same porygon?)

All very thought-provoking.

[quick edit]:

Also I completely forgot about ghost pokémon...

Where do they come from without the possiblity of death in the pokémon universe.
The two only logical points on this subject are: They're the ghosts of dead pokemon or they're the ghosts of dead people.

Which then brings up another point, Do people turn into pokémon when they die?

Also, guaranteed proof of death in the pokémon universe.

There are fossil pokémon, which have to be ressurected for use.

Kruxxor

Jan 18, 2009
MassiveGeek said:

Recently I started playing Pokémon, or well, I'm replaying Heart Gold to kill my boredom when my brother or mom kicks me off the computer and I have nothing else to do, or when I'm on the bus.

Do Pokémon die?

I mean, there's not any hints to it being the case, I think, and it's not like you stumble over corpses in the woods all the time(that is, you never stumble upon anything like that) or you hear some news about an old pokémon passing away...

So what do you think, Escapists? Do pokémon die? Do they just dissapear, and live forever? If they do die, do they decay like all other living creatures or just poof out of existence?

EDIT: Oh, right. *Slaps forehead* I recently read that thing about Cubone wearing it's moms skull. -_- *Forgetful*
And sorry pokémon fans, I have Pokémon Red, borrowed it from a friend but never got around to playing it, I'm such a graphics junkie.

Anyway, I'm still curious as to what happens to them when they're dead. Do they decay, which is most likely, or does something more kid friendly happen?

No doubt everyone else has said this, I'm not going to bother to read the whole thread.

The statement about Cubone is correct.

In Lavender Town there is the Pokemon Tower which is a graveyard for Pokemon, in the tower you find ghosts (Until you have the Sylph scope they are just ghosts (Otherwise they are mainly Ghastly, but the "Boss" of the tower is a Marowak)

Also, when you fight your rival, on the SS Anne, I believe, he has a Raticate that he uses in battle, obviously you kick his ass to progress the story. Later he tells you about how he couldn't get his Raticate to the Pokemon Center in time, he doesn't say that it died, but you can guess as much.

Also, it is said that if a Charmander (I assume Charmeleon and Charizard too) tail flame goes out, it'll die.

Several Pokemon can only be gotten by resurrecting them from Fossils as they *were* extinct.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
MassiveGeek said:
Someone needs the play the Hacked version of pokemon Black. Its an old pokemon red where you use the ghost (what pokemon look like before you get the silph co. viewer thing), and it kills pokemon when they battle (only one, then the battle is over). THen, when you're done with the battle there's a tombstone where the trainer was, and if you battled them again,t he pokemon would be permanently gone. So you go through the game in that aspect before finally ending the game by beating it. Then, you appear as an old man and the ghost pokemon you had appears. You hear all the cries of the pokemon you killed, then you battle with the ghost who uses curse while you have to use struggle, until you eventually die.

Its possibly the bleakest game I've ever played, especially since its all in Pokemon Red's graphics.

Anyway, more OT: I would say that they get buried in the tower section. Or the get eaten. Cause if you read some pokemon's pokedex pages, it says they eat other ones (like Ekans eat Pidgey Eggs). So what happens when pokemon like that have to eat?
Wow, that sounds depressingly awesome. Can you imagine if the anime was like that?

Yeah, I'd say Pokemon die. I'm sure in the wild there's still the natural process of predators keeping the herbivores in check, and territorial disputes might claim the lives of others. Even if a Pokemon is caught, trained and lives a happy life, they'll still die of old age eventually. Remember, there are Pokemon fossils.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I guess so given that theres Ghost pokemon, But there incredibly resilient because some can self destruct and only faint :|

Jul 13, 2010
I was under the impression that a cubone was a kangaskhan whose mother had died went it was still young. The kangaskhan then becomes a cubone once it starts wearing its mother's skull.

Deathfyre

Mar 6, 2010
MassiveGeek said:

Do Pokémon die?

well, they get buried, and they must decay, or else Cubon would have had to strip every bit of flesh off of Marowak's skull... which is a little bit more morbid than I would expect Pokemon to ever go.

Blobpie

May 20, 2009
Well there are ghost Pokemon aren't there?

And since the Pokemon died of natural causes... might as well see what it tastes like.

MaxRaine

May 1, 2008
Kalezian said:
Tr3mbl3Tr3mbl3 said:
They faint, and by miracles of modern science are brought out of their battle-induced comas in Pokemon centers.

Duh.

how do you know they just dont trash your pokemon and give you an exact duplicate?

/conspiracy
And again we go to Awkward Zombie!
http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=101110 =D

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
A Charmander dies if it's tail flame goes out.

Also; like everyone has said, Lavender Town.

Verex

May 31, 2010
There is a pokemon graveyard which is haunted by ghost type pokemon like Gangar. Maybe Ash will have a nice Gangar someday. :D

Deathfyre

Mar 6, 2010
Kruxxor said:
MassiveGeek said:

Do Pokémon die?

No doubt everyone else has said this, I'm not going to bother to read the whole thread.

The statement about Cubone is correct.

In Lavender Town there is the Pokemon Tower which is a graveyard for Pokemon, in the tower you find ghosts (Until you have the Sylph scope they are just ghosts (Otherwise they are mainly Ghastly, but the "Boss" of the tower is a Marowak)

Also, when you fight your rival, on the SS Anne, I believe, he has a Raticate that he uses in battle, obviously you kick his ass to progress the story. Later he tells you about how he couldn't get his Raticate to the Pokemon Center in time, he doesn't say that it died, but you can guess as much.

Also, it is said that if a Charmander (I assume Charmeleon and Charizard too) tail flame goes out, it'll die.

Several Pokemon can only be gotten by resurrecting them from Fossils as they *were* extinct.
Actually, the statement about cubone is a quote from the pokedex entry for Fire Red. He really does wear his dead mother's skulll