Piracy Makes U.K. Riots Look Like "Children Stealing Candy"

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
At first I thought it was just funny, but now I'm seriously worried. It's gone too far. There's just no way that so many powerful, wealthy people are this thick. It's just not possible, they'd almost certainly have all gone bankrupt by now if they were half as dumb as they sound when talking about piracy.

At this point, I'm pretty sure they're making their arguments retarded on purpose. I don't know why, but they must want us to pirate. It's the only explanation... It's all a conspiracy!

Timo Takalo

Apr 18, 2012
Ooh, this guy is clearly operating on a video game morality system where X amount of stolen property is as bad as one murder.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Porecomesis said:
ohnoitsabear said:
I want to preface this by saying that piracy is not a harmless act, no matter how you try to justify it, and if you pirate, unless you already purchased it or it is unavailible to you, you are a massive dick.

That said, if your corporation is losing profits, the only one to blame is yourself. There have been plenty of people that have been massively successful, even with internet pirates, so the only logical explaination is that you screwed up somehow. Figure that out, and then you can talk about how much piracy is affecting your buisness.
I like you a lot.

I'm as anti-pirate as they come... well, at least that's what I would have said had I never come across such a Templar as this guy, whatever his name is (I can't be bothered reading it again).

Regardless, the thing about piracy is that games, movies and whatnot have money put into them. The goal is to get more money out than you put in so that you can buy food, water and pay for your children's toys as well as do the cycle again so that you can keep yourself and your family fed (I know how sugar-coated this is but it is a reality, if an exaggerated one). Piracy harms this process: a person who pirates a game may not buy it for real, meaning that's a potential loss of a sale. On its own, this isn't a problem. But what if the problem accumulates? That's where the trouble starts.
Learn more about hard facts:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114537-File-sharing-Remains-Legal-In-Switzerland
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/05/file-sharers-are-content-industrys-largest-customers/
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009/04/study-pirates-buy-tons-more-music-than-average-folks/

The idea that piracy harms the artists, is in itself a lie of the copyright industry. It has never been about money, it's about control over consumers. They are just scared shitless about the idea that we can read watch listen and play whatever we want, and reward the artists at or own pleasure, so they are no longer the gatekeepers of all entertainment, who can rip us off just with hype and ads. They are scared to admit that piracy doesn't mean the end of paying to artists.

They know very well how much bullshit their "1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale" argument is, but the reason why they keep repeating it, is because they want to keep the argument on their side, debating exactly HOW MUCH harm piracy causes, pretending that it's inevitably a matter of arbitary guesses and anecdotal evidences, that "your guess is as good as mine".

Because if people would realize that there are studies calculating the exact numbers of how much loss piracy causes to the industry, they would realize that these numbers are in the NEGATIVE!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Aw, News Corp. You do love you some hyperbole and vilification, don'cha?

Look, I'm not going to deny that piracy is a real problem. But in terms of societal damage, I have to wonder how it compares to, say, a powerful media company becoming the de facto propaganda arm of one political wing, misinforming millions of people and promoting a culture of fear. Or a consortium of media companies colluding to minimize creator rights and royalties, extend copyright periods until they stretch long past the authors' lifespans, and co-author draconian and privacy-invading laws to enforce their perceived "rights" to profit from those works- even as doing so stifles innovation and protects dying market models at the cost of newer, more effective ones.

In a digital world, it's insanity that using a thirty-year-old piece of music in a video from which the creator derives no profit exposes the creator to legal danger. Or that a company like Microsoft can still forbid use or reverse engineering of operating systems that it no longer sells or supports. And that such "crimes" are stacked in the same pile with, say, distributing movies that haven't even reached their theatrical release date?

We need reform of our intellectual property laws, but it needs to go both ways, both protecting creators and liberating media usage that most reasonable people would recognize as fair use. And no way in hell can we let blowhards like Williams set the agenda or define the conversation.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Secret world leader (shhh) said:
Piracy: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

The London Riots:

No.
Those pictures look like they are from a modern remake of a game of thrones. Just something I noticed Dunno if you were trying to point that out or not.

Jun 7, 2010
synobal said:

The London Riots:

No.
Those pictures look like they are from a modern remake of a game of thrones. Just something I noticed Dunno if you were trying to point that out or not.
I haven't seen Game of Thrones. Might get round to it at some point, but I only do one show at a time and Breaking Bad is my drug of choice :)D) at the moment

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
synobal said:

The London Riots:

No.
I haven't seen Game of Thrones. Might get round to it at some point, but I only do one show at a time and Breaking Bad is my drug of choice :)D) at the moment
Ya I've not seen it either, I read all the books a few months before the tv series came out, thinking it would be nice to be able to compare the too, all I did was wear myself out on the setting and story before the series. I'm pretty over A song of Fire and Ice TBH.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Well, this clearly proves that Kim Williams has done the math and determined the dollar price value of human life.
Based on his findings, and employing similar logic I think we can conclude that Kim Williams is an expert in slavery and human trafficking.

Why not? It makes as much sense as what he's proposing here.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i didn't read the whole thing.

ya lost me when this twat tried saying piracy is worse then the loss of life and livelihood