Pivotal games from your gaming experience

PacDwell

May 16, 2009
I guess I'm older than most so my pivotal games might be slightly skewed:

My favourite games include the Baldur's Gate series. I believe this is influenced by the C64 games such as:

- The Last Ninja (C64)
- Head Over Heels (C64)

Whilst not quite the same genre, they may have influenced me with their isometric viewpoint.

I think a game which was a big influence on why I like RPG games was:

- Times of Lore (C64)

What an amazing game this was...Skyrim 23 years before its time. I was so excited with this game.

From a strategic games point of view, it's worth mentioning two games which I put many hours into, but unfortunately never prompted me to get more into strategy games:

- Deuteros (Amiga)
- Dragon's Breath (Amiga)

If anyone can explain why I liked these games, but not other strategy games such as Galactic Civilisations...I'm all ears. Speaking of space-type games, there's only one pivotal space game...

- Elite (C64)

Some people played it on the BBC Micro, and to those guys I tip my hat.

Once I moved into PC gaming, I was 'amazed' by Doom and Quake. I'd never seen 'free' 1st person movement before. I remember trying to explain the phenomenon to my friends who were still playing 'tiled' based movement games such as:

- Captive (Amiga)
- Eye of the Beholder (Amiga)

I enjoy first person games to this day and rate Quake, Half Life and Unreal Tournament highly on my fave games list. I was also extremely pleased to see and play The Legend of Grimrock which allowed me to return to the nostalgic 'tiled' based movement.

I've always loved a good driving game (I suppose most people do), so whilst not pivotal to my leaning towards them, I'd like to mention:

- Enduro (Atari 2600)

One of the biggest moments in my gaming life came from a game which I didn't really like...and that was:

- Oblivion (PC)

The moment when I came out of the Tutorial Dungeon and just looked everywhere and gasped that I could 'go' anywhere. I felt like gaming had changed from that moment on - for better or worse my gaming experience would never be the same again.

Dec 10, 2012
Well, the first games I ever played were on my ancient DOS computer. Pac-Man, Centipede, Space Invaders. I'm not much into those arcade style games now though.

I played a lot of Sonic, especially 2. Though I'm really not a fan of platformers. I think a lot of my earliest gaming favorites had little to do with my current habits and preferences.

I guess the first game that really seems like a precursor to my present tastes was Heretic. God I played so much of that game. Like, probably a thousand hours. Heretic and Golden Eye on my friend's N64 were my first shooters, and they are still some of my favorites.

I also played a lot of Tekken 3 once I owned a Playstation. Soul Calibur 3 made fighting games one of my favorite genres for a long time, but I find myself losing interest in them lately. My first real RPG was Persona 3, and it's still my favorite pure RPG. My first sandbox game was GTAIII, and though I never really liked that game too much, I have since come to really appreciate a good open sandbox.

The game that really got me way into games, though, was BioShock. After that experience, I just had to seek out the best video gaming had to offer. It's the reason I'm on this gaming website answering this question from someone I've never met.

Chrozi

Apr 8, 2010
I've been playing since the late 70's so I really need to think about this one.

Pong was my first game. To that is huge, obviously.

The next biggie that made me geek over games was the Atari 5200 version of Pac-Man. It was vastly superior to the 2600 version and made me a fanboy of my 5200 while I scoffed at all the poor 2600 shleps.

Then, I had a BIG choice to make, should I get an Atari 7800 or an NES? I decided to be faithful to my beloved Atari and got the 7800. Very, very soon, all those kids I made fun of with their 2600's got NES's and were now relentlessly mocking my 7800. It wasn't long before I had an NES too.

SMB, RC Pro-Am, MT's Punch-Out!!, Goonies II, Dragon Warrior, Shadowgate, Megaman 2, Metroid, the list OMG games went on and on.

Then the Genesis came. Revenge of Shinobi, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Strider, Star Control, Phantasy Star II, all super greats.

Other landmark titles in no particular order; MGS, Starcraft, FFVII, Snatcher, Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Lunar, Halo, Last of Us, F-Zero GX, Seaman, Phantasy Star Online, Tomb Raider, Street Fighter II, Final Fight. I could mention man more.

Chrozi

Apr 8, 2010
I've been playing since the late 70's so I really need to think about this one.

Pong was my first game. To that is huge, obviously.

The next biggie that made me geek over games was the Atari 5200 version of Pac-Man. It was vastly superior to the 2600 version and made me a fanboy of my 5200 while I scoffed at all the poor 2600 shleps.

Then, I had a BIG choice to make, should I get an Atari 7800 or an NES? I decided to be faithful to my beloved Atari and got the 7800. Very, very soon, all those kids I made fun of with their 2600's got NES's and were now relentlessly mocking my 7800. It wasn't long before I had an NES too.

SMB, RC Pro-Am, MT's Punch-Out!!, Goonies II, Dragon Warrior, Shadowgate, Megaman 2, Metroid, the list OMG games went on and on.

Then the Genesis came. Revenge of Shinobi, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Strider, Star Control, Phantasy Star II, all super greats.

Other landmark titles in no particular order; MGS, Starcraft, FFVII, Snatcher, Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Lunar, Halo, Last of Us, F-Zero GX, Seaman, Phantasy Star Online, Tomb Raider, Street Fighter II, Final Fight. I could mention man more.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Let's see...

Well, the arcade table for Mrs. Pac-Man was one of the earliest arcade games I ever played and it go me interested in playing arcade cabinets wherever I went, allowing me to enjoy and appreciate future Platformers. It also go me interested in titles that had local multiplayer and that they can be enjoyed by anyone, not just gamers.

Then, of course, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was the first Sonic title and Sega Platformer that I ever played and I was instantly hooked on the blue speed demon. It also got me to really be interested in games and my first console was the Sega Genesis and my first ever game was Sonic & Knuckles.

During the PS2 era, I unwittingly rented Devil May Cry believing it to be some Action Platformer. I didn't know that there were some horror moments as well, and it made scared to even play the damn thing. After I retried the game, I finally got feel for the Action Horror genre and actively look for other great/memorable horror titles.

Finally, having played ICO & Shadow of the Colosus not too far back, I discovered that a lot of older titles that I haven't given a second glance because the seemed unappealing or highly regarded by others are actually really good. I'm going trough a lot of older titles that I haven't played before, such as the Persona series, Zone of the Enders, Crono Trigger, etc.

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
UFO Enemy Unknown- The first game I ever owned.
Civ 2- The second.

These 2 games have honestly helped to shape my life. Almost everything about my love of politics, planning, strategy, management and even down to the type of games and board games I play is probably because I spent way too much time playing these as a kid.

Star Wars Dark Forces- The first FPS I ever played- to this day it's still one of the best.

Kickle Cubicle
Solar Jetman

These games introduced me to console gaming on the NES. glorious times.

Goldeneye64- This was the moment I really discovered how amazing an FPS can be, and how local multiplayer is one of the most fun, and funny things to be doing at 02:00.
Diddy Kong Racing- as above, minus the FPS.
1080 Snowboarding- as above.
Counterstrike- my first Online multiplayer experiences- and for the most part my last.

There have been loads of brilliant games between and since, but these for me were the most pivotal. Sid Meir's Alpha Centari (sp) feels like it should be on this list, but it isn't. Perfect Dark feels like it should be, but it isn't. Pokémon Blue feels like it should, but again, it isn't. Fallout NV feels like it should be, because it is one of the best games I've ever played but it just didn't change my expectations from games and gaming. (as the other Hon. mentions didn't)

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
I don't know if any of you guys remember GUNSTAR HEROES for sega genesis, i still remember every boss and my favourite combos of weapons. It probably made me the game i am today and i was only 2 years old lol

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Starting with the SNES I would say

Super Mario World
The Lion King
Donkey Kong Country Trilogy
Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage
Crash Bandicoot Trilogy
Legend of Legaia
Tekken 3
Age of Empires
Diablo II
Half-Life & Counter-Strike
Pokemon Blue & Gold
Grand Theft Auto III
Resident Evil 2 & 4
God of War
Kingdom Hearts

and so on.

TJWhoopy

Aug 28, 2013
I think you youngsters are going to have to look some of these up but great thread,

The Game that hooked me was without doubt Pitfall for the Atari

since then there have been many and in no particular order,

Dragonrealms (My first MMO, nothing has yet come close to being as good)

Fantasy Empires (best fantasy turn based strategy you'll ever play, needs Dosbox)

Might and Magic 6

Heroes of Might and Magic 1&2

Mechwarrior 2 mercenaries

X-wing and Tie Fighter (come on remake)

Grand theft Auto 1&2 (for PC)

Final fantasy (NES)

Sim City (SNES)

and more recently

Grand theft Auto 3

Civilization IV (the inability to raze cities makes V unplayable)

Oblivion (i like Skyrim too but have to wear a jacket while i play it or turn the heat up in the house to 80 so it doesn't make the list even though it's a better game than oblivion)

Portal (the best game ever created)

william12123

Oct 22, 2008
OH! Another one (not pivotal, but important): The elder scrolls: oblivion taught me that I dont have to pick up every piece of junk lying around...