Pixar's Brave - Good movie or bad?

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
I loved it, but then I come from Scottish ancestry, which this hearkened to. The music was spot on, the visuals were good. The story wasn't as relatable to me as toy story or Wall-E, but I'm told by my female room mate that she really got into the daughter\mother bonding over a mistake one of them makes in a moment of anger. When I loaned my copy to my parents, my mother echoed the sentiment.

I'd put this in my top 5 pixar movies. Wall-E wins it for me every time and toy story is a classic. Up was moving in the first five minutes, but after those... Brave gets it next.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
jthm said:
I'd put this in my top 5 pixar movies. Wall-E wins it for me every time and toy story is a classic. Up was moving in the first five minutes, but after those... Brave gets it next.
Wow, I know that on the Internet you're never "the only one" but it's great to actually see someone else who echoes my thoughts on Up. The first 10 minutes or so of the movie were totally heart wrenching and great, but the rest of the movie was just your super typical and predictable cartoon fare that I could sworn I'd seen tens if not hundreds of times before (and Up didn't even do it any better than the rest). I would also put Wall-E up as my favourite Pixar film.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I thought it was a pretty good, fun movie. The problem is people expect more than that from Pixar. Brave is definitely not on the same level as Toy Story, Wall-E and Up, so it suffered because of these high expectations.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
It's very visually interesting, the daughter versus mother perspective is one that doesn't get used as a framework for a movie very often, I did quite enjoy how much actual Scottish was used in the dialogue, and yet, it still feels like it was missing something. The problem is, I don't quite know what that thing was that it was missing. It just... wasn't quite there yet, not to Pixar's usual standards, I still enjoy it, but not as much as Ratatouille or WallE for instance.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
From a purely plot standpoint the movie should have been excellent, but the delivery fell quite flat. I just didn't feel invested in any of the characters after Merida turned her mother into a bear, after that I didn't know whether to take anything seriously or not. The movie couldn't decide on a tone.

Jasper van Heycop said:
Not their best, but certainly not Cars-levels of bad. I think it deserves props for advancing tech and having a strong female lead. Bonus points for archery!
Eh, I'd say Cars was a hell of a lot more entertaining than Brave.
Also it's a bit sad if you give the movie "props" purely for having a strong female lead, as if a movie with a strong male lead wouldn't deserve the same amount of "props".

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Loved it. After Pixar's usual faire it was good to see something a bit less, well, for lack of other words...Pretentious.
I like Pixar, and I like most of their movies too, but Brave was beautiful, with lovely music and atmosphere and good voice acting.
I agree with people saying it's a bit of a Disney Princess movie, but it still manages to outdo those, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
It was low brow nonsense. The main character was no likable by any measurable degree, and even AFTER she messes up, she's a ***** about it. The humor was awful, devolving into boorish fart humor. The morally complex sexism issue is resolved in the most mind numbing way possible.

"Oh, yeah, we don't like this whole sexism thing anymore. I think women should have the freedom to marry whoever they want. Lets not be backwards anymore."

Huh, that was easy. Thousands of years of sexist history just sort of worked itself out in five minutes. How very progressive for a bunch of medieval Scottish tribesmen. It's almost as if everything in this film was unnecessary.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
First time I watched it, I was disappointed because it didn't turn it out like I expected it to be.

Second time I watched it, I judged it by it's own merits and I found it to be a rather enjoyable film.

Overall, it was a good movie, not my favorite Pixar film, but still good.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Merida is a stupid spoiled brat that almost got her entire family killed and learned absolutely nothing.
The only "strong female protagonist" got turned into a bear half way through.

In short, I'm not a big fan.

They definitely shouldn't have given it an Oscar, that's for sure. (Wreck-it Ralph FTW)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd say "Good", but one of Pixar's lesser efforts.

It's never going to be the worst while Cars 2 still exists.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
It was good but disappointing.

The trailers made it look like it was going to be about a sweeping journey as Merida "found herself" (or something like that), while traveling through a beautifully animated Old Scotland with lots of grand sweeping shots LOTR style.

What I got was a mother-daughter story. Not a bad mother-daughter story, but I was left utterly unable to relate to the central plot. At all.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
The movie bored my entire family. It was just too Disney Cliche, which is pretty out of character for pixar.

The story was just so run-of-the-mill...