Planetary Annihilation Dev Launches Apocalyptic RPG Kickstarter

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Planetary Annihilation Dev Launches Apocalyptic RPG Kickstarter

Human Resources is a post-apocalyptic strategy RPG with a twist: instead of saving or defending humans, you're mining them.

An Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/goodoldreviews/11395-Fallout], with just over $172,000 raised as of this morning.

According to Studio Art Director Chandara Ekanayake, humans are "not in a good place" in Human Resources, which is made clear in the Kickstarter video. What's left of humanity is being used as an energy source for the warring factions to make "bigger and better things" to continue their paths of devastation. The Kickstarter page boasts "insanely huge battles" in which the player can command hundreds of units, as well as "breathtaking" comic-inspired artwork. Design Director and strategy veteran John Comes calls it "an amalgamation of everything I love merged into one awesome package." Human Resources is currently planned as a February 2016 PC release, assuming it meets its crowd-funding goal.

Uber Entertainment is no stranger to the strategy RPG arena, nor is this its first time using crowd-sourcing to raise funds; a Planetary Annihilation [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/planetary-annihilation-a-next-generation-rts?ref=live] raised over $2.2 million, more than double its original goal of $900,000. With over a month to go until its November 4 deadline, Uber Entertainment has over $1.2 million left to raise.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/human-resources-an-apocalyptic-rts-game]

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I guess all I've ever wanted from a real-time strategy game was the leeway to crush buildings with kaiju. At first I thought that "Summon Deity" thing would be a new unit, but from the how it looks I'm assuming it's more of a victory condition. Which is...cool...I guess...

Definitely looking forward to how this turns out, even if I don't tend to kickstart strategy and role-playing games.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
Malbourne said:
I guess all I've ever wanted from a real-time strategy game was the leeway to crush buildings with kaiju. At first I thought that "Summon Deity" thing would be a new unit, but from the how it looks I'm assuming it's more of a victory condition. Which is...cool...I guess...

Definitely looking forward to how this turns out, even if I don't tend to kickstart strategy and role-playing games.
Don't even bother, the way PA was handled, trusting this dev is just a bad idea.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
They made a Kickstarter, they got 2 times more money than they needed and they will now start selling the game. I hope no one is stupid enough to back it because they should use the profit from this game to make the next, like every other publisher/developer in the god damn world.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
sturryz said:
Malbourne said:

Don't even bother, the way PA was handled, trusting this dev is just a bad idea.
Yeah, I read up on some other articles and...well, given how they've taken care of SMNC and PA's problems, I'm not entirely sure I'm confident this will turn out the way they or their backers hope it will.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
This looks amazing

Then again, so did the last one they made and yeah.

I can't get over what a huge disappointment that was, it's amazing how much they screwed the pooch compared to other indie studios making similar games. Even though it's a different team (supposedly) I'd be leery of starting another game when the original is charitably only half done.

Charitably.

I can live without divergent factions, I can live without half of the tech tree that was advertised and I can just about live without local processing (why do we need servers for number crunching again? My PC is as powerful as lower end server iron and it's not exactly a huge game) but the shit pathfinding and ensuing lack of terrain? That's a killer for a strategy game.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Nope, not backing this, not after what happened with PA, I was over the moon that we were getting a decently pitched RTS game 2 years ago because lets face it the RTS genre right now is pretty damn small compared to most others, two years later and this is what we get, a botched release and devs calling it "delivered" just like the devs behind DS9.

Given their track history this isn't anything new, they cobble together a really early Alpha with a hype pitch, go through KS and now ea with them eventually spanning it out and then by release it's a shoddy game, called a done day and then announce the next project afterwards, this doesn't surprise me because now they're asking for double the funds even though it's obvious the maps are going to now be flat and not fully spherical and even more cartoony than before (not that I don't mind the style, just cartoony doesn't cost anywhere near as much as actual realism).

That said PA is still a mess, we've no DRM free version, no offline gameplay, no ability to save our games, still missing promised units/structures and people with beefy rigs are suffering really bad FPS and since it's all server side it cripples everyone to a snails pace after a while, it's been a month now since release and they've hardly done much about all those issues and apparently they "hate giving out ETA's" according to their Steam mod...

My faith in them is pretty much at rock bottom, I like this concept sure but I can never bring myself to support them on this, I love RTS games very much and the treatment for PA was pretty damn shit and reminds me how much people care about the genre and why it's so stagnant and small right now.

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
The worst is people who still support PA, how could that do that to themselves? especially since their are a lot of really good feature complete RTS games on Steam and GOG or what have you that fully work without any silly DRM nonsense. They could be playing Supreme Commander or Age of Mythology or something, games which didn't launch and disappoint a lot of people, i understand wanting a new good RTS, all though to be honest i don't think there was really much interest in PA to begin with, it's barely had any coverage by anyone.

and for as much flak as it sometimes gets, Starcraft 2 is a damn fine game and even though it's always online DRM sucks, atleast it's stable and the game has a campaign and everything else you expect in an RTS.

Or hell, go back and play Total Annihilation, that game has only gotten better with age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPuZbG_nGQ8

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That looks amazing, I mean even better then PA concept did. Somehow Uber Entertainment art guys just know how to do simple stuff that looks awesome.

Sad to say however I backed Planetary Annihilation and they didn't fucking deliver, yes they made a sort of functional game thing but it is just there enough to piss you off every time you try it. But at least there was hope that it would keep improving until maybe everything is as promised... not any more then I guess.
So this sadly I have zero confidence that Uber will do anything solid with this concept either, on top of being pissed that this has sealed the fate of PA.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
they abandoned MNC on console
they abandoned MNC on PC
they abandoned SMNC
they got over 2 million dollars for planetary annihilation and delivered a mediocre, buggy and unfinished game

uber entertainment are TERRIBLE devs, DONT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
It's a real shame. I've really been wanting to go back to SMNC recently too, and i had good memories from when it was released, but they pump out one game, leave it half-finished, and then abandon it to die.

I feel like Uber has potential, but they don't bother using it.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I feel that Uber somehow knew RTS was in a steep decline the past 5 years and probably thought they could get a cheap buck and some attention by appealing to that crowd without shifting their full weight and their skills into PA, I know this because on bth their PA kickstart and now this new one they have this plastered there as if it's some badge of veterancy/honor.

After seeing what they've done to PA and previous projects I can't see such veterancy in them at all, they can say they worked on previous C&C's, previous other RTS games and Morrowind in general but what they've done on their own clearly hasn't shown the talent they put into the AAA's they had once in the past.

I do feel though that this image describes the devs well to the final result.

All I can say is in the end I'd suggest no one trust Uber, I don't know if they'll ever get my trust again but they're damn well not doing a good job of it even a month after release.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
NuclearKangaroo said:
they abandoned MNC on console
they abandoned MNC on PC
they abandoned SMNC
they got over 2 million dollars for planetary annihilation and delivered a mediocre, buggy and unfinished game

uber entertainment are TERRIBLE devs, DONT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!
I managed to come across this on the Steam forum page of PA, I've never been so disgusted in my life.

They also had the comments locked from the start, if they "love" us so much and thank us then why keep the comments locked?, I know how terrible they are when it comes to criticism on their official forums and how they delete comments left and right leaving only praise.

They basically see the games they make as a service now, not an actual finished product, I've seen thousands of complete games and I've even seen some completed KS games that have done leaps and bounds better than PA, what they think is just disgusting to me.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/discussions/0/616189742760070977/

You are right though, no one should ever give them money, they don't deserve it, not if we're going to get shoddy "released/delivered" games and have them discontinued shortly after due to the treatment.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Great tming, now that Piranha got bored with MechWarrior and tries to crowdfund it's next job... I mean game, Uber got bored with PA and starts it's next crowdfund. I like the premise of this game, though.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
those Lovecraftian plushies made me laugh so hard i thought the game was a joke until about halfway.

Guess im the only one happy with PA , yeah its got some issues but its giving me fun

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
For Pete's sake, would it kill them to get their first Kickstarter finished before they move on to making another one?