Planetside 2 Will "Revolutionize the FPS Genre"

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
The_Emperor said:
EternalFacepalm said:
First MMOFPS? What happened to the Modern Warfare-series?
I was insanely tired and skimmed the article when I wrote that, sorry.

And this looks generic as well, and probably will be, too.
As long as they don't streamline it to oblivion
BA-DUM-TISH

But if it's as unique as you describe it to be, I'll probably give it a try.

BroJing

Sep 16, 2010
To the people claiming that massively multiplayer battles and wars won't work I'd like to point out that it allready did, with much worse technology. I think the best way of illustrating this is to describe one ten hour session I had with the original. Yes I actually played for ten hours straight fighting a war that went over four continents.

I logged in during the morning at my factions (New Conglomerate) main base and kitted myself out. I used almost exclusively a Anti-Infantry MAX exo suit. The NC version of which had a simply ridiculous automatic shotgun on one arm. I go to the launch pad and check out the world map. The NC is in control of half the world, the Terran Republic own most of the rest. Looks like the Vanu Sovereignty are having a bad day which was weird because they had the best leadership in the game at the time (I loved the NC but we had noone with decent command points). Whatever, I pick a dropship heading to the main battlefield and get to a base where the TR are attacking.

The New Conglomerate MAX is a force of destruction in the tight corridors of the bases and I start blasting away the red buggers as they swarm inside, eventually falling back towards the generator room. The TRs are overwhelming us and eventually hack the control panel but me and a few other survivors are holding the generator room against them. Finally when we lose the base I turn around and open up on the generator, blowing it and making the base useless until they can get a nano-repair truck in. Job done, we leg it and move to a nearby tower (like in the trailer) and hold out there against the Terrans. I die some, respawn in the tower, get the MAX on, repeat.

Suddenly the Terrans are gone and it goes quiet. I flick up a map and see that the VS have arrived and are tearing through the TR rear, bases going out like Y2K just struck. Before long they're hitting us too with waves of armour, air and dropships. We lose the tower, then some bases and the next hour or so is taken up with hundreds of desperate stands and hurried evacs until we're pushed out through one of the continent-linking portals.

On the other side the base we're heading towards is allready under attack. I spawn and they're in the spawn tube room. I kill one with the crappy smg you start with and run again only managing to eventually get a assault rifle/shotgun combo. Me and another group run into the swamp that surrounds the base and lie low. I spend another hour hiding out with my dwindling gang ambushing supply convoys and armoured columns moving through the narrow roads of the marsh. At one point, one of my favourite points in a game ever, I'm hiding under a mangrove tree with my breath held while a attack ship called a reaver circles slowly looking for me before finally flying off.

Base after base goes down, we counter attack and skirmish and strike but we are getting whooped until finally after three continents we are down to our last base at the end of a long highway with big hills on either side. It goes Serenity Valley, we launch everything at the tanks and infantry moving up the road and for a minute it looks like we can hold...then I go up a hill and literally hundreds of Reavers and Mosquitoes are coming towards me. I die horribly and we lose the base, I respawn at our main base and realise I've just played for a whole day.

In a word, awesome. I will buy this game just for all the good will I have for Planetside. If it can capture even a smidgeon of that feeling I used to have then it will be worth my 40 quid.

New Conglomerate! Live free or die!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
BroJing said:
To the people claiming that massively multiplayer battles and wars won't work I'd like to point out that it allready did, with much worse technology. I think the best way of illustrating this is to describe one ten hour session I had with the original. Yes I actually played for ten hours straight fighting a war that went over four continents.

I logged in during the morning at my factions (New Conglomerate) main base and kitted myself out. I used almost exclusively a Anti-Infantry MAX exo suit. The NC version of which had a simply ridiculous automatic shotgun on one arm. I go to the launch pad and check out the world map. The NC is in control of half the world, the Terran Republic own most of the rest. Looks like the Vanu Sovereignty are having a bad day which was weird because they had the best leadership in the game at the time (I loved the NC but we had noone with decent command points). Whatever, I pick a dropship heading to the main battlefield and get to a base where the TR are attacking.

The New Conglomerate MAX is a force of destruction in the tight corridors of the bases and I start blasting away the red buggers as they swarm inside, eventually falling back towards the generator room. The TRs are overwhelming us and eventually hack the control panel but me and a few other survivors are holding the generator room against them. Finally when we lose the base I turn around and open up on the generator, blowing it and making the base useless until they can get a nano-repair truck in. Job done, we leg it and move to a nearby tower (like in the trailer) and hold out there against the Terrans. I die some, respawn in the tower, get the MAX on, repeat.

Suddenly the Terrans are gone and it goes quiet. I flick up a map and see that the VS have arrived and are tearing through the TR rear, bases going out like Y2K just struck. Before long they're hitting us too with waves of armour, air and dropships. We lose the tower, then some bases and the next hour or so is taken up with hundreds of desperate stands and hurried evacs until we're pushed out through one of the continent-linking portals.

On the other side the base we're heading towards is allready under attack. I spawn and they're in the spawn tube room. I kill one with the crappy smg you start with and run again only managing to eventually get a assault rifle/shotgun combo. Me and another group run into the swamp that surrounds the base and lie low. I spend another hour hiding out with my dwindling gang ambushing supply convoys and armoured columns moving through the narrow roads of the marsh. At one point, one of my favourite points in a game ever, I'm hiding under a mangrove tree with my breath held while a attack ship called a reaver circles slowly looking for me before finally flying off.

Base after base goes down, we counter attack and skirmish and strike but we are getting whooped until finally after three continents we are down to our last base at the end of a long highway with big hills on either side. It goes Serenity Valley, we launch everything at the tanks and infantry moving up the road and for a minute it looks like we can hold...then I go up a hill and literally hundreds of Reavers and Mosquitoes are coming towards me. I die horribly and we lose the base, I respawn at our main base and realise I've just played for a whole day.

In a word, awesome. I will buy this game just for all the good will I have for Planetside. If it can capture even a smidgeon of that feeling I used to have then it will be worth my 40 quid.

New Conglomerate! Live free or die!
That sounds fantastic - a game I would have loved to play (though it kinda sounds dependent on people currently online - ever played shattered galaxy? Kinda an RTS version of the same idea. Kinda.) Too bad that there wasn't even a HINT of that in the trailer. How hard would it have been to have shown a strategic map, huge armies moving into position, or supply lines? But no, it's a bunch of shitty guys with assault rifles standing in the open taking shots at each other.

They need to fire the guy in charge of their marketing.