Planetside 2 Will "Revolutionize the FPS Genre"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Planetside 2 Will "Revolutionize the FPS Genre"

The first MMOFPS is getting a major upgrade.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
eh I'd honestly say that they might be a little late to the game. Also how are classes revolutionizing anything? If you want to see an MMOFPS that is really doing something new, take a look at DUST 514. Granted DUST's PS3 exclusive status right now is annoying but I'm hopeful for a PC release.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Well, they certainly aren't revolutionizing trailers, because that one looked as generic as you get.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
synobal said:
eh I'd honestly say that they might be a little late to the game. Also how are classes revolutionizing anything? If you want to see an MMOFPS that is really doing something new, take a look at DUST 514. Granted DUST's PS3 exclusive status right now is annoying but I'm hopeful for a PC release.
You stole the words from my keyboard. Wasn't impressed by anything the article reported. DUST514 is going to put the MMOFPS genre on it's ear more than Planetside 2 claims it will, IMPO.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
Well, they certainly aren't revolutionizing trailers, because that one looked as generic as you get.
Well most trailers are generic, heck, trailers for movies are generic but it doesn't represent the quality of the movie itself....except over the top trailers that put all the action of the film into the trailers so there is nothing left to see of the film :/

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Hmmm. I was pretty meh about this article until the second page. You have my attention for now Planetside 2.

pulse2

May 10, 2008
People were saying it looks like Halo and yeah I suppose it does a little, but then how do you make a alien planet orientated game NOT look like Halo without it looking as dull and grey and brown as Gears and Killzone :/

Oh, and before people make a shambles of themselves, Halo came out before the original Planetside, that doesn't mean the original Planetside isn't original or amongst the kings of MMOS.

If they do release this on PS3 eventually, this, Dust and MAG will be the first steps towards real warfare FPS dreams :D Legacies in the making!

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
It sounds good but I highly doubt that it will revolutionize the FPS genre.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Dear Planetside 2 Developers,

What you have here looks good, but you have to take in consideration that Team Fortress 2 is now free and nobody wants to pay a subscription for a Battlefield or Call of Duty remake.

Your Friend,
UtterSpartan

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
"We don't want new players to be significantly outclassed by veteran players," Higby said. "We're only talking about having a 15 to 20 percent differential between the player who has unlocked nothing and the highest player who is maxed out, including things like squad benefits and outfit benefits."
Well, at least it sounds like the devs aren't trying to pad their game out with grind content if only a little amount of content is truly unlocked... Unless that 15 to 20 percent is better than the starting equipment and requires an eternity to unlock. Ohgawd.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
Doesn't answer the most important question:
Will cross platform combat be an option?
Can PC players play against consoles?

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
VGC USpartan VS said:
Dear Planetside 2 Developers,

What you have here looks good, but you have to take in consideration that Team Fortress 2 is now free and nobody wants to pay a subscription for a Battlefield or Call of Duty remake.

Your Friend,
UtterSpartan
You seem to have never actually played planetside. There is NOTHING, not one game, that has EVER come close to what planetside was. It's biggest problem was in fact being waaaay ahead of its time. With new technology and an upgraded advancement system, this could be the next big thing.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh, so they want to make it unique and separate it from other FPSs? Oh, well that must be really interesting...

But what will Planetside 2 feature that will set it apart not only from its predecessor but from other shooters? First off, there will be classes - a couple that were mentioned but not detailed were medic, engineer and assault - that can be switched on the fly, but will dictate your role on the field. Characters will be able to progress the skills of each class to unlock more options, but Higby is careful that noobs will not feel marginalized.
So fucking unique! Oooo, a skill system that lets you upgrade and specialize in certain areas? So goddamn unique! Big battlefields where you can be a leader and help your team to victory? So gnarly, dude!

Please, it'll be nothing new. The whole meta-game where you capture territories and resources and crap; total fucking bullshit. It'll give you 3 different maps to capture, and each map is just painted in the skin of the faction. Exactly what they did in MAG.

*Sigh* Excuse my cynicism, but the most unique thing that they will no doubt be pushing is going to be the tech behind the game, just like how DICE is pumping up their Frostbite engine. It's not going to be any different than any other FPS out there except for maybe a few dozen extra people on the battlefield at once. Developers, especially the FPS ones, always talk about how "unique" their game will be, and how it will be "set apart" from other FPSs, and every. single. time it is exactly like the FPSs they put down.

I've never played Planetside, but even then I doubt it would matter for the sequel as I already imagine that some fans are complaining about how "dumbed down" it is now compared to the original. The proof is in the pudding.

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Revolutionise the genre, eh? Yeah, so will Bulletstorm, Duke Forever, and Brink.
We'll see.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
How come every single game has to "revolutionize the genre / industry" I just want some good games. I couldn't care if it's completely original or a rehash, I just want to be entertained

pulse2

May 10, 2008
Jumplion said:
Oh, so they want to make it unique and separate it from other FPSs? Oh, well that must be really interesting...

But what will Planetside 2 feature that will set it apart not only from its predecessor but from other shooters? First off, there will be classes - a couple that were mentioned but not detailed were medic, engineer and assault - that can be switched on the fly, but will dictate your role on the field. Characters will be able to progress the skills of each class to unlock more options, but Higby is careful that noobs will not feel marginalized.
So fucking unique! Oooo, a skill system that lets you upgrade and specialize in certain areas? So goddamn unique! Big battlefields where you can be a leader and help your team to victory? So gnarly, dude!

Please, it'll be nothing new. The whole meta-game where you capture territories and resources and crap; total fucking bullshit. It'll give you 3 different maps to capture, and each map is just painted in the skin of the faction. Exactly what they did in MAG.

*Sigh* Excuse my cynicism, but the most unique thing that they will no doubt be pushing is going to be the tech behind the game, just like how DICE is pumping up their Frostbite engine. It's not going to be any different than any other FPS out there except for maybe a few dozen extra people on the battlefield at once. Developers, especially the FPS ones, always talk about how "unique" their game will be, and how it will be "set apart" from other FPSs, and every. single. time it is exactly like the FPSs they put down.

I've never played Planetside, but even then I doubt it would matter for the sequel as I already imagine that some fans are complaining about how "dumbed down" it is now compared to the original. The proof is in the pudding.
I understand your point, but its not so much WHAT has been implemented, it's HOW. As of yet, we have not seen a shooter where it really feels like a war with two sides trying to take over certain points and essentially win the war. MAG had a good idea of that, but I still think it could have been implemented better.

Think Command and Conquer but from an FPS perspective, I've noticed Starhawk is doing something similar to this.

I'm not saying that that is what they WILL do, but its what I'm hoping for anyway, that to me would be the unique element because for once, rather than helping your team win in a simple team based match FPS' usually have, you'll actually feel like part of a race of people trying to defend your colony, freedom and nation. Again, elements of this have popped up in MAG and Dust, but I have yet to see how Dust implements it.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
It's the gaming industry. Revolutionary is mostly a term meaning "gimmick weapon."

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
pulse2 said:
I understand your point, but its not so much WHAT has been implemented, it's HOW. As of yet, we have not seen a shooter where it really feels like a war with two sides trying to take over certain points and essentially win the war. MAG had a good idea of that, but I still think it could have been implemented better.

Think Command and Conquer but from an FPS perspective, I've noticed Starhawk is doing something similar to this.

I'm not saying that that is what they WILL do, but its what I'm hoping for anyway, that to me would be the unique element because for once, rather than helping your team win in a simple team based match FPS' usually have, you'll actually feel like part of a race of people trying to defend your colony, freedom and nation. Again, elements of this have popped up in MAG and Dust, but I have yet to see how Dust implements it.
See, thing is, aside from the big battlefields and somewhat interesting squad/platoon/army system, MAG had pretty much nothing else going for it and it could have been just another military FPS shooter that everyone would forget about relatively quicker than people have already forgotten about.

I'm not asking for developers to just pump their FPS games with nothing but new ideas, some things just work. Though, I guess to an extent, that is exactly what I'm trying to ask them to do. Developers keep pumping up ideas that have been done before, but oooooohhhh this time it'll be different! This time you can be in charge! This time capturing territories will mean something! This time singleplayer and multiplayer will merge seamlessly together! And it never fucking works! What they implement is just as tired and worn out as how they implement it.

*sigh* Look, I am just so cynical about the entire FPS genre. I do admit that from what I'm reading, Planetside 2 does look interesting. But I am just so sick of the buzz words that developers keep using for the same damn game that everyone has seen a dozen times over. Every time a new FPS comes out, I get hopeful just as you do that "maybe this one will be a breath of fresh air to the genre" but nope, every single goddamn time it plays pretty much exactly like every other game. The singleplayer is tacked on with a shit story, the visuals are grimy gray and boring brown, the controls are always likened to Call of Duty, the multiplayer (god the multiplayer!) is always the same shitty CoD system that is so fucking broken I can't believe developers still use it....

Just...........for fuck's sake.........I want good games, that's about it. But it's just stagnating. I read a really good post a little while back, basically said how we all want the industry to grow and yet the industry itself adamantly refuses to. We need to be harsh, we need to be critical. I dunno, maybe Planetside 2 will be the revolution to the whole genre, but if it isn't it doesn't deserve any more money than any other military FPS despite its pedigree.