Planetside 2 Will "Revolutionize the FPS Genre"

TheRealGoochman

Apr 7, 2010
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

SOOOOO FREAKING EXCITED, that the game that not only got me into MMOs but also absorbed many of my early teen years is getting a sequel. WOOO VANU ALL THE WAY!!!!!

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
It seems a lot of people have never actually played Planetside.

Understandable, old game, not terrible popular.

However, it's not your typical FPS, it's focus is on large (Seriously, Large.) battles, not 16 vs 16 or anything like that, we're talking about 100 vs 100 on a single extremely large map.

And in this you have multiple roles, you have snipers, medics, infantry men, MAXs, AT users, many different weapons. Then of course, you have people in the vehicles, of which there are plenty, artilery, Tanks, transports, planes, bombers and drop ships.

It's clunky as hell though, the shooting is rather wonky and what-no, but, the concept is great.

Now, to refine that concept is what planetside 2 is. Have to hope the focus is on expanding rather than lopping parts off to make it "more manageable" and what-not, but, we shall see.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Dear god, that black-and-white image literally looks like it's RIGHT OUT of one of Homeworld's cutscenes. For a second I got excited.

Then I read the article, and got excited again.

Elcentralen

Oct 6, 2010
the only problem i got whit mmofps is the servers cant be to far from the gamers EU needs at least
2-3 server for only a couple of cuntries each. if they get the servers to far you will get alot of diffrent ping. and to close and you get a low population. and i wuld not play a fps above 70-80 ping.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
But they say its gonna be a 'straight remake with modern graphics' thus 'revolutionizing' does not compute.

Kyoh

Oct 12, 2010
That trailer was crap. You just can't capture Planetside in a trailer.

I've got more fond memories of that game than I've had with any other MMO, so yeah, I'm psyched about this sequel.

Although, I have to say the interview is doing a worse job than the trailer. I hate it when they throw around the word "revolutionize". It rarely ever applies, and since this is essentially a remake of the original Planetside...no, it's not new or revolutionary. It's just an updated remake of a game that was revolutionary, but too ahead of it's time.

Planetside 2, you're in my sights. Don't disappoint me.

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
This game is definitely a contender for one of the coolest games going to come out. If it is anything like i have dreamed an MMOFPS could be I will have no problem cutting off my WoW account to play this game. Hell, I would be willing to upgrade my computer to play this game.

If it ends up being as awesome as it seems to be at any rate. I never got to play planetside growing up. Though what little i heard of it i always wanted to try it.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Jumplion said:
pulse2 said:
I think where the difference comes in is in what you are exactly doing and how dynamic the battlefield is, a constantly changing battlefield keeps things exciting. Rather then having a lobby and match joining, have a permanent map liek you would in WoW or any other game, the size of the map allows for convoy missions, not as a seperate mode, but so that you can ACTUALLY transport equipment to and from bases, which will obviously require protection. The capture the flag mode is no longer required because on that very same battlefield, there will be a struggle to steal resources and items from the other team in order to speed up your battle win.

As it's jump in jump out at any point, the ability to keep up to date with how things are going on the battlefield sounds awesome and obviously you level up and get access to new weapons, learning how to use those more effectivly etc.

All in all, it SHOULD be an addictive game because unlike normal FPS titles, it's constantly improving for you, your missions become more successful, you are given the ability to construct as well as destroy, lead squads of your own as you gain more experience etc etc.

Now that to me would thrash ANY FPS out there
Do you really think that this sequel will replicate, and in turn enhance, the original's mechanics? Do you really think that?

Because I highly doubt it will. As I said, I am being very cynical, but I cannot help but feel that there is no doubt that they will "dumb down" the game for a broader appeal. They'll just plop you in a random, hugeass map, and you'll just randomly pick off some dudes. That's it. I highly doubt there will actually be any sort of meta-meta-game as you described in the game itself of transporting equipment or protecting resources within the game.

As much as I would love for everything you have said to be true, I find it completely ludicrous that this will happen. And it's a damn fucking shame, because the original Planetside sounds like a pretty awesome game, and due to SOE's history of fucking things up (apparantly, as I have never played an SOE game), Planetside 2 looks wary for fans of the original game.

The proof is in the pudding, in the end. We'll just have to wait and see...
While it won't be the lame deal what you said, it'll still be jacked up, because SOE did jack up the original Planetside starting with the Core Combat expansion and ending with finally shoveling tons of shelved ideas in just to show they were Doing Something.

So the Planetside of today, that they're starting with, is already way off of the original game. BFRs. Battle Islands. Galaxy Gunships. Battle Domes ffs.

Whatever they do for Planetside 2, it's not going to be a continuation of the game we used to love, because that game died a long time ago :(

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
The_Emperor said:
I think the class system is a bad idea, it stops people from being able to pick and choose their skills to fit with their friends. I hope this game will be good but SOE's track record tells me it will fail.
Or you know you could talk to your friends about what classes they are going to play.

SteelStallion said:
Lol.

You've never played Planetside, have you? "UtterSpartan", this isn't your standard Halo-derived FPS, friend.
Niether was Duke Nukem, and we all know what happened with that. If Planetside is going to want to play with the bigboys of the FPS its sadly going to need to feel familar to modern gamers.

Which will mean 'streamlining' for consoles.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Nvidia PhysX?! Oh FFS, there's more than one type of graphics cards, guys, and as longs as Nvidia's not sharing its PhysX, people don't pay interest to Ati's efforts, and Nvidia takes measures to block work-arounds the least devs could do is not use PhysX as a fundamental part of their game :/

Using PhysX as a core part of vehicle useage? That doesn't sound like a good way to keep the platform open to users of any other graphics card. How the fuck is it going to work when your game engine needs proprietary technology that's intentionally kept away from a good chunk of your potential user-base?

Hopefully my fears are unfounded, but the article certainly makes me concerned...

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
Planetside was one of the few FPSes I really got into, due to its massive scale battles and freeform combat systems of the time. I'm really worried about "classes". In the original planetside, you gained skill points when you leveled up and those points were used to decide any and all equipment you could use "at one time" For instance, a new soldier will be able to spend the points to get access to Heavy Infantry Weapons or Heavy Anti-Vehicle weapons "certified" - this means that at any equipment terminal while they have this spec, they can pull down these weapons and items. A maxed out Battle Rank soldier would be able to cert into those two, but also have points left over to say, cert into several vehicle piloting skills and wear a MAX combat suit (heavy armor with integrated weapon tailored to a certain action - AntiAir, Anti-Infantry etc..). Being maxed out in Battle Rank let you do "more" without "giving up" anything - if that new recruit wanted to pilot a mosquito fighter he may have to give up his Heavy Weapons skill for a time - you could respec once every couple of hours or once a day. However, the maxed out BR soldier's rifle wasn't any "better" than the newbies when they spent points to cert the same gun.

One of my favorite setups was my "Infiltrator"/Recon setup - I took Advanced Hacking (You needed basic hacking just to use enemy consoles and get into locked doors, but advanced was necessary to jack vehicles and boobytrap consoles etc..), Combat Engineering (repairs, setting up turrets, invisibility reveal beacons, mines and more), Infiltrator Suit (totally invisible when standing still, but zero armor and only the ability to wield one pistol-sized item at a time and a very small inventory), certed the ability to fly a Mosquito or Spectre (light aircraft the latter of which could cloak if crewed by someone in an inf suit and the former able to detect enemies on radar if flying slow) used my 3 "implant" slots for Melee (everyone carries a knife - in Inf suit a knife with/melee implant will basically allow you to backstab people - its one of the only weapons you can carry and doesn't take up inventory space that you'll need for your hacker device, grenades, and combat-engineering gadget), Silentwalk (counters an implant that lets people hear footsteps of those invisible) and Darklight Vision (to see other infiltrators cloaked) and went off world to combat! I'd drop behind enemy lines and hack my way into sentry towers, allowing our side (Vanu Soverignty - the Purple Guys) to have a spawn point, and even work into enemy bases to blow up their generators, which deactivated a lot of their powered defenses and even shut down benefits that connected bases had from them. It was some of the most suspenseful, best gaming I've ever enjoyed sneaking around a base with a small squad of enemies I try to keep oblivious to my presence until its too late, covering my retreat to the enemy flight deck and hacking myself a new aircraft and flying off to do it again. While I was doing this, the rest of my outfit was warping in in Mag-lev tanks columns and 3-man Liberator bomber aircraft, assaulting the forward line base with all they had! There just isn't anything like it to date.

Sony let the original Planetside die on the vine - a bloody travesty. They kept it at full price while refusing to continue development of new content, as is SOE's style. I don't want to see them make this mistake again. I'm also worried about "dumbing down" of content in Planetside 2 - I don't want to see Command Ranks abolished, or ANT runs (nano-tankers of sorts that will have to be carted from a base, to Warp Bubble to refill fuel to then be taken to top off a base), or stuff players into predefined archetypes - if I have the points I want to be Galaxy Dropship pilot without having to give up my Infiltrator Suit, Sniper Rifle, Advanced Hacking or Anti-Vehicle MAX. Also, I REALLY hope they introduce an "advanced" and "master" variety of Infiltrator suit. Its a pity that only in the "Black Ops" events were they seen, along with the upgraded "Katana" - I'd spend a ton of points to take my infiltrator preference to its pinnacle. (Black Ops were dynamic events when developers made certain players ultra-powerful, giving them a stealth suit that had armor and could wield large weapons, plus a beam katana). I don't want to see such an excellent game diluted or left to wither - I do wish that those in charge of it would leave SOE and form another company with new business plans.

Edit: PhysX? What the hell are they thinking! Annoying proprietary bullshit has no place in games today. If they intend a PS3 release, I didn't think this would even be possible as PhysX isn't Cell compliant. No, its better to simply use OpenCL - every platform can utilize it. AMD/ATI Stream/DirectCompute etc... Nvidia, PS3 etc... all platforms can make use of it without the necessity for a dedicated Nvidia card. It seems SOE decision making is in full swing, but if they go through this travesty lets hope its like many other PhysX games - those with a PhysX card get to see 1000 pieces of shattered glass and those without get to see 100.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
Burnhardt said:
The_Emperor said:
I think the class system is a bad idea, it stops people from being able to pick and choose their skills to fit with their friends. I hope this game will be good but SOE's track record tells me it will fail.
Or you know you could talk to your friends about what classes they are going to play.

SteelStallion said:
Lol.

You've never played Planetside, have you? "UtterSpartan", this isn't your standard Halo-derived FPS, friend.
Niether was Duke Nukem, and we all know what happened with that. If Planetside is going to want to play with the bigboys of the FPS its sadly going to need to feel familar to modern gamers.

Which will mean 'streamlining' for consoles.
It's a matter of personal preference but I like to be able to cherrypick my skills so I have a custom soldier of sorts.

Like I might want to be able to drop in in a mosquito, sneak into the base with stealth, then hack a terminal and load up a max suit and blow up the spawns.

I just think it's better having complete choice, I know you will be able to have multiple classes but I worry that I might no longer be able to make an Anti Vehicle Medic or an Assault Hacker or a pilot with Max suit abilities.

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
Why do people keep mentioning consoles, who the game will have to be dumbed down, or it won't be compatable, or are pc players going to be able to play vs consoles?

Its a PC exclusive game, SOE have already said that. Live with it, and be happy that the game won't get "streamlined".

I for one look forward to PS2 greatly, and hope they keep the old style cert system (although a graphical revamp on how you pick the skills would be nice, a tree or something rather then a list) as well as the old bright stylised look of the game. I honestly don't want them to make it too dark, gritty and realistic... VS would look even more silly in a realistic setting :p

eNTi

Sep 8, 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Online was released 2001, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neocron was released 2002. planetside 2003. get your facts straight, noobs.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
First MMOFPS? What happened to the Modern Warfare-series?
I was insanely tired and skimmed the article when I wrote that, sorry.

And this looks generic as well, and probably will be, too.

The_Emperor

Mar 18, 2010
EternalFacepalm said:
First MMOFPS? What happened to the Modern Warfare-series?
I was insanely tired and skimmed the article when I wrote that, sorry.

And this looks generic as well, and probably will be, too.
If you haven't played the first one it's hard to place in context, it's actually one of the most in depth FPS I've played.

The islands are like full size Morrowind maps and you can basically traverse massive continents assaulting and capturing bases in massive groups. Can even hot drop from a player controlled dropship etc. Can load up tanks into vehicle transports and hot drop those in too. You can do the same with massive lorries full of dudes or 4x4s, all armed of course. Dozens of vehicles and methods to take over bases etc, it's actually quite unique, in the sense it's all player controlled and organised like a genuine warzone, even the players have a command rank you get command xp by leading squads and when you get higher up you can use Officer chat etc. You can have some real adventures with it.

Trying to hack into the bases back door, destroy the generator to turn the spawn points off and clear out the base before they repair it, then you have to defend the hack for 15, all while defending your mobile spawn point (which is in an invisibility bubble somewhere near the base) or defending the tower near the base which is a spawning point.

not trying to disregard your opinion but the trailer doesn't give any context to the rest of the game. As long as they don't streamline it to oblivion then the second one has a lot of potential.

It does look generic without having played the first one, but I hope it won't be generic cos I totally adore the first one.