Plans for the Covid 19 Lockdown

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'm honestly struggling to enjoy games and films at the moment because of everything going on. Just been playing the guitar really.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
TopazFusion said:
Not gonna lie, I'm actually pretty annoyed. I live in (what should be) probably the safest country in the world for this kinda thing (New Zealand). And yet, inaction and pussyfooting by our incompetent government has led to the virus being let in and taking a foothold.

So now it feels like I'm stuck in a bad doomsday movie that never seems to end.
Similar pattern all over. Most countries got plenty of advance warning, but didn't/don't go hard in dealing with the problem until it's biting them in the face. Shutting China down worked in China, we are going to have to do that sort of thing all over, the later we leave it the worse it'll be, but there's not zombies running round or people with wheelbarrows crying "Bring out your dead" so it's business as usual with less toilet paper.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
I bet those doomsday preppers are feeling pretty smug right about now. With their underground bunkers and their unperishables, and their stockpiles of loo roll.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
So we've gone to mandatory work form home where I am, with only major retailers operating at reduced hours. Aaaaand I still have to do my job because the world of building shit never takes a day off. So now I commute 30 mins each way every time something needs to be looked at. Sometimes multiple times a day.

The silver lining is that I've never had an easier time with traffic accommodation. No joke, our productivity is off the hook since the public isn't constantly getting in the way. Which of course means more paperwork, which means that in addition to my inspection duties I'm now up to my ass in administrative duties. I can't complain, a lot of people are just without work right now, but it is the most perplexing feeling I've ever experienced to be driving down a completely empty street thinking to myself "ah jesus christ I left too late and now I'm gonna get there like a minute before go time", and rushing past streets sparsely populated by people with nothing to do.

It feels like the apocalypse happened, but for some reason taxes are still due and I'm the last accountant trying to get it all filed for the remaining populace.

Crushing it at Satisfactory though. I have truly destroyed the countryside of a once beautiful alien world. Banks of 10-20 coal plants powering my endless array of modular frame assemblers. Probably gonna get going on Watchdogs in the next few days too.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
OK, well I was going to contribute to the thread, but OP seems only interested in what's happening in the U.S, so there goes that idea.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Thaluikhain said:
Shutting China down worked in China
Sure did. Suddenly no one's sick anymore. It's a miracle! Back to eating raw infected bats and armadillo's with 103F fevers. Yummmmm. Don't forget the face mask though that wet piece of saliva stained cloth surely keeps the virus out.

EvilRoy said:
it is the most perplexing feeling I've ever experienced to be driving down a completely empty street thinking to myself "ah jesus christ I left too late and now I'm gonna get there like a minute before go time", and rushing past streets sparsely populated by people with nothing to do.
The air is also cleaner than ever. :p Normally my stress level skyrockets from all the people and traffic but now nothing but tranquility and deserted streets. Death does not come with fanfare and bombast, it comes gentle like the night on a beautiful spring afternoon. xD

The people you do see you can almost sense their fear. It made me think though pestilence and death has been mankind's eternal companion. In the past people turned to the Gods and prayer and when those weren't heard people turned to science pretending to be above nature and when they had no answers people turned to toilet paper and when that ran out people would eagerly let themselves be locked in their homes by authoritarian leadership and let police patrol the streets for their own good instead of maintaining one's own responsibility to keep proper distance and prioritize hygiene and not relinquish all autonomy to the ruler.

They say plague exposes the truth of society that remains hidden under frivolity and pretense. Like that truck drivers and nurses are more important than bankers and stock brokers. But one can also conclude a thousand years of 'progress' have not changed one iota how submissive we are to the powers that be with freedom surrendered at the first sign of trouble.

I wonder what will happen when the Corona virus mutates or when antibiotic resistant bacteria start to wreak havoc on public health. Another time bomb scientists have been warning about for years. Society is a house of cards. Kept intact by the false promise of safety and undone by the ingrained human rejection of insecurity.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
IceForce said:
I bet those doomsday preppers are feeling pretty smug right about now. With their underground bunkers and their unperishables, and their stockpiles of loo roll.
ha ha the Joe rogan podcast had on today a navy seal that said eating mres gives you the worst stomach!

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So today was my last day of work for at least three weeks. In the next 48 hours, all of NSW is going to be placed under lockdown, which means that all non-essential services are to remain shut until further notice.

...yikes. :(

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Hawki said:
So today was my last day of work for at least three weeks. In the next 48 hours, all of NSW is going to be placed under lockdown, which means that all non-essential services are to remain shut until further notice.

...yikes. :(
I wonder if QLD will get the same treatment. Also wondering about schools, because if they close, my work will close. But otherwise we'll stay open.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I'll find out Mon or Tues whether my job counts as essential in NSW and won't be shut down. I'm guessing it does, but don't know for sure.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Day 3 of obligatory quarantine. Playing Far Cry 5, watching Fleabag on Amazon, reading Timequake. Baked muffins yesterday, did the laundry, cleaned the house. Miss my girlfriend.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
twistedmic said:
I work in a grocery store so my plans consist of going to work, bitching about stupid/rude customers and hoping I don't catch the virus .
You on mass sanitizing duty? My fingers are screaming for mercy at the end of every shift for me, even with gloves.

It feels like the apocalypse happened, but for some reason taxes are still due and I'm the last accountant trying to get it all filed for the remaining populace.
Similar, just substitute "The display cases have some smudges on them, I better wipe them before someone sees!" for the taxes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
What plan?

I worked in retail that also sell foods so no work from home for me! Likewise, our store is the same as all of the other affected store (god danm panic buyers) althought we had a massive food delivery today! Needless to say I am very exhauted due to how hectic works has been especially now the kids are no longer in school!

When it come to my days off, my plan are only to go outside only if I or my parent need to buy something. With me having a justify reasons to outside most of the week does put me risk on possible catching the virus and the last thing I want is to get my parent infected cos of me! If that were to catch it, I will quratine myself in my bedroom (will still have to used the toliet and barthroom so I will tell my parent to bleach it or something) and make sure my parent stayed OUT for a week or two!

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I've been staying at home, which would be fine except I'm kinda bored. I still have classes online, so there's that.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Despair. Not at all because of the virus itself (it's only epidemic in Helsinki and a couple of other cities, not where I live), but because my social life got annihilated. Play games, advance studies from home as much as possible, watch stuff online...

And despair because the situation getting bad in one part of the country will screw up my part too no matter what.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
CrazyGirl17 said:
I've been staying at home, which would be fine except I'm kinda bored. I still have classes online, so there's that.
Boo hoo. I'd trade places with you and anyone else hiding in their house any day.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Smithnikov said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Boo hoo. I'd trade places with you and anyone else hiding in their house any day.
Frankly, I'd rather swap places with you and sanitize stores until my hands bled, rather than work on my grad school stuff.