Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
SupahEwok said:
Smithnikov said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
I've been staying at home, which would be fine except I'm kinda bored. I still have classes online, so there's that.
Boo hoo. I'd trade places with you and anyone else hiding in their house any day.
Frankly, I'd rather swap places with you and sanitize stores until my hands bled, rather than work on my grad school stuff.
You'll miss academia after a few years of not doing it.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
dscross said:
SupahEwok said:
Smithnikov said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
I've been staying at home, which would be fine except I'm kinda bored. I still have classes online, so there's that.
Boo hoo. I'd trade places with you and anyone else hiding in their house any day.
Frankly, I'd rather swap places with you and sanitize stores until my hands bled, rather than work on my grad school stuff.
No, not especially. I'm smart, but not a very good student. Classes bore me. Work invigorates me. My research assistantship has given me nothing to do for almost a year, and sitting around at work doing nothing has depressed the shit out of me. And then I found out that I didn't need this Master's degree as a shortcut to the job I wanted, like I thought I would. I have a friend with the same career goals that managed to get that job within half a year of graduating from our bachelor's degree program. Time to get the fuck out, do something worthwhile, and actually have some money on hand.

Or it was, until the economy crashed.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
SupahEwok said:
If I could, I'd take that bet, especially since I'd become a segment of society deemed valuable enough to try and keep healthy. If you're a broom monkey, your ass is expendable.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Starting day #5 of quarantine. I stocked up survivalist style Thursday, enough to last 2-3 weeks I think. Maybe more. I'm on my own and I'm goot at rationing/distracting myself. I can go out for more groceries but I'm turning the situation into an experiment: how long can I go without going out?

Quarantine supposedly ends March 31 but now there's talk of extending it to April 12. Crazy!

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I still don't understand why there is so little in the news about what started the virus, those 'wet markets' all over Asia. Wildlife that is never meant to be in close proximity to one another are stacked in tiny cages with animals high on stress and horribly abused before being slaughtered. It are absolute animal torture chambers. It makes you sick to your stomach.

Scientists now think the virus most likely jumped the species barrier from pengolin to human.It is the most traded wild animal whose only defense against the torture is to curl up in a ball. Most likely at one point it simply turned against itself.

The coronavirus is simply mother nature's revenge. Societies can quarantine all they want it is just waiting for a more dangerous mutation or second wave. This coronavirus should probably be seen as a second warning to treat animals better and immediately shut down all of the wildlife markets. First SARS now ncov-SARS2 what's next?

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Looks now like Trump is going to push to get people back to work.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21191289/trump-social-distancing-tweets-coronavirus

GOOD. Sick and tired of all the comfy Pepe's rubbing it in my face about catching up on Anime and playing Doom eternal while I'm knee deep in piss stained tiles.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Smithnikov said:
Looks now like Trump is going to push to get people back to work.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/23/21191289/trump-social-distancing-tweets-coronavirus

GOOD. Sick and tired of all the comfy Pepe's rubbing it in my face about catching up on Anime and playing Doom eternal while I'm knee deep in piss stained tiles.
There is a point where the cure becomes worse than the problem but it's precise moment is difficult to determine. If you take the country which was struck the worst, Italy, then the average age of the people who died is 82 of which 98,8% already had serious health issues. Every corona death is suddenly one too many while ofcourse predominantly old, sick people would have died of other infections or health issues as well. It's also pretty obvious countries are now using the panic to withdraw democratic rights(Hungary and South America in particular though they were never democratic to begin with) and enforce the police surveillance state they always dreamed of.

Then there is the problem of debt and bail-outs. The U.S. is lucky that the dollar is the worldwide currency but the sudden increase of debt in E.U. countries is worrisome as well. Take Italy again as example. That country already has a debt of 134% on GDP of 2,5 billion which will now increase to 150 - 160%. ECB already bought 2,6 billions in state obligations of the poorer E.U. countries Italy and Spain but it's unlikely the printed money will ever be requisitioned. Hate to say it but Trump is not completely off the mark.

Panic leads to unpayable debt leads to depression leads to hyperinflation. Sounds familair? They already skipped the 'rule by decree' part.

As for the coronavirus it's really already so widespread that it's everywhere. From hospitals to prisons. Even Weinstein got it. Sooner or later it's inevitable pretty much everyone comes into contact with it.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
stroopwafel said:
I still don't understand why there is so little in the news about what started the virus, those 'wet markets' all over Asia. Wildlife that is never meant to be in close proximity to one another are stacked in tiny cages with animals high on stress and horribly abused before being slaughtered. It are absolute animal torture chambers. It makes you sick to your stomach.

Scientists now think the virus most likely jumped the species barrier from pengolin to human.It is the most traded wild animal whose only defense against the torture is to curl up in a ball. Most likely at one point it simply turned against itself.

The coronavirus is simply mother nature's revenge. Societies can quarantine all they want it is just waiting for a more dangerous mutation or second wave. This coronavirus should probably be seen as a second warning to treat animals better and immediately shut down all of the wildlife markets. First SARS now ncov-SARS2 what's next?
And the thing is, that once this is all over, Winnie the Pooh will just let the wet markets do what they want. No one is going to learn from this. If winnie the pooh wants to be part of the global economy, then he should completely shut down the wet markets.

Jan 27, 2011
dscross said:
Going on 2 years out of that life and I don't miss it one freakin' bit.

I don't miss the insane stress of exams, I don't miss having assignments up the wazoo, I don't miss having to sit in a lecture hall and try not to daydream while the teacher either drones on and on in a boring or worse just churns out content so fast that I don't have time to properly absorb the information before writing it down.

And ever since landing my dream job, I have probably never been more content. Aside from maaaaybe CEGEP, when my friends and I still hung out VERY often for overnight gaming parties.

So...No. I don't miss school. Especially not University. 7 years of stress will kind of turn you off of something.

Marik2 said:
stroopwafel said:
And the thing is, that once this is all over, Winnie the Pooh will just let the wet markets do what they want. No one is going to learn from this. If winnie the pooh wants to be part of the global economy, then he should completely shut down the wet markets.
Unfortunately, this.

China has VERY lax regulations on a lot of stuff, and are so happy to sell stuff despite the lax regulations that cracking down is quite hard.

My dad has a saying "Aside from their totalitarian government...China's more hardcore capitalist than anywhere else. If the company you work with there can steal your blueprints and boot you out of the market with a model that's 10% cheaper but uses toxic lead paint, they will do it in a heartbeat".

Hopefully, though, this pandemic having led to a lot of deaths will get Pooh off his throne and have him do something about those unsanitary conditions. :s

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
aegix drakan said:
dscross said:

I don't miss the insane stress of exams, I don't miss having assignments up the wazoo, I don't miss having to sit in a lecture hall and try not to daydream while the teacher either drones on and on in a boring or worse just churns out content so fast that I don't have time to properly absorb the information before writing it down.

And ever since landing my dream job, I have probably never been more content. Aside from maaaaybe CEGEP, when my friends and I still hung out VERY often for overnight gaming parties.

So...No. I don't miss school. Especially not University. 7 years of stress will kind of turn you off of something.
Takes longer than that. 2 years is a drop in the ocean. Give it a few more years.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
TopazFusion said:
Speaking of, we're supposed to be having an election later this year. Dunno if that's going ahead now...
DON'T WORRY!
HE'S HAPPY TO STAY!
WORKING VERY HARD to get businesses running again!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
GW recently had a made-to-order thing were you could buy old style Valhallans, and they only fairly recently got rid of the old style sisters (though some weren't quite that old), so I'm going to see if I can make an army or two of 2nd ed 40k, like I would have done if I'd had the money back then.

Not able to buy new GW stuff at the moment (cause, obviously), and most of it is of course much newer than 2nd ed. A lot of old looking stuff is either new finecast or slightly tweaked. The Preacher or Missionary are original metal, the ork Deffkopta is original metal Gorkamorka, and I think the termagants are old plastic with some new plastic sprues in the box that you won't actually need.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Working apparently :/
We were off for a week and now they want us back already. It sucks, I feel ripped off!

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
dscross said:
aegix drakan said:
dscross said:

Takes longer than that. 2 years is a drop in the ocean. Give it a few more years.
Every now and then I miss school and grad research. Then I look at all the money I have from working in the private sector and I'm pretty okay with my lot in life.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
While my Valhallans are coming together, if you had bought 3 of those Tallarn Squads with heavy and special weapons, a Tallan Lieutenant and Captain Al'Rahem back when they were available, that makes 500 points of 2nd ed IG. Some Necromunda models and some stealers from old Space Hulk gets you 500 points of 2nd ed cultists. Looking back at the old 2nd rules, but only have myself to play against.

In not totally unrelated news, a genestealer cult has emerged from under my bookshelves, defeating the force of Tallarn defending the clear space on the floor at the end of my room.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Thaluikhain said:
In not totally unrelated news, a genestealer cult has emerged from under my bookshelves, defeating the force of Tallarn defending the clear space on the floor at the end of my room.
Declare an exterminatus. It's the only way to be sure.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Turns out even ancient emulators like SNES have netplay emulators, so that's probably gonna be a thing. That and tabletop simulator.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I still live with my parents in Tasmania and going into this had no job, my mother has all sorts of chronic health issues while my father is an over 60 lifelong smoker that coughs every night. I also need to keep an eye on my nan and my elderly aunt with her cancer survivor husband. I plan to offer to do their shopping for them, dropping it off at their door.

I cannot bring the virus back home, at some point I may have to just stay inside indefinitely and my only exception will be trips to the blood bank every fortnight to donate plasma to help my country. Lucky I already had a stash of food but I added quite a bit to it, I will be trying not to go out at all soon for as long as I can.

Hopefully I can somehow convince my father to go vegetarian for a while because I don't have much meat stocked for him.