Platinum Games Wants All of Its Games on PC, But Publishers Say No

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Platinum Games Wants All of Its Games on PC, But Publishers Say No

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1396/1396742.jpg
"If it were up to us, we'd port all of our games to PC, but it all depends on the publishers," says Bayonetta developer Platinum Games.

Today was a great day to be a PC gamer, with Platinum Games announcing the PC Gamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170052-Bayonetta-Launches-on-Steam-4K-Support-Graphics-Options], Platinum stated that it would love to port all of its games to PC, but publishers keep this from happening.

"The PC market is huge and can definitely not be ignored. We are absolutely aware of that, and we've always felt this way," a spokesperson for Platinum told PC Gamer. "We've always had a positive stance towards porting our titles to PC, but the decisions as to which platforms we release our games on, and which platforms are the main focus for the games we make are largely made by the publishers, so this is not something we can decide on our own."

"If it were up to us, we'd port all of our games to PC, but it all depends on the publishers."

The spokespoerson went on to say that most third party publishers nowadays realize the PC should not be ignored, and believes it will be able to be more active in the PC market going forward.

"We still feel strongly about putting more consideration into the PC market. If our current efforts prove successful, this will only make PC development more attractive."

So if you want to see more Platinum Games games on PC, then you should probably go and buy Bayonetta [http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/460790/].

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/bayonetta-is-out-now-on-pc-we-spoke-to-platinum-about-making-it-happen/]

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I can understand games like Wonderful 101, being potentially a Nintendo IP, but games like Mad World, Anarchy Reigns, and especially Beyonetta 2 would sell on the PC. I heard Beyonetta 2 sold relatively poorly, only because it was exclusive to the Wii U. If they could port that to PC they could still maybe twice as many units. Just trim out the Nintendo skins and it should be good to go.

Yes I know Nintendo helped to make Beyonetta 2 a reality in the first place, but it's not going to do the company any good at this point. Since the Switch made the Wii U completely irrelevant, they won't get any additional sales off it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well given how every publisher except one Platinum has worked with releases thier titles on PC, its not terribly hard to guess which game isnt getting ported now, is it?

Storm3ye

Feb 22, 2010
I absolutely LOVED Bayonetta when I was still a console player back then. Its was basically a more polished version of DMC franchise.

Now that I am on PC, I would DEFINITELY pick up Bayonetta 2 if it ever releases on PC.

Sep 24, 2008
I bought Bayonetta today.

I'll buy it again if it's on GOG.

Give us more chances to show that we want to give you money. I'm totally on board.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Irridium said:
The things I'd do for Vanquish on the PC...
Holy shit I forgot about that game, I'd buy that in a heartbeat!
Makes you wonder what other gems are lurking behind publisher-walls.

Sep 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
Meh. No great loss.
....don't you despise platform exclusivity? and opening it to the PC platform, they could potentially push some of their games to further limits (yes yes, ha ha, laugh at that, but it's potential if their games are selling like hotcakes compared to console sales)

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
Zhukov said:
Meh. No great loss.
....don't you despise platform exclusivity?
Kinda. I wish it wasn't a thing, but I understand why it's done.

I bought a PS3 and a PS4 based entirely upon the exclusives they offered, so I can't exactly say they don't work.

...and opening it to the PC platform, they could potentially push some of their games to further limits (yes yes, ha ha, laugh at that, but it's potential if their games are selling like hotcakes compared to console sales)
I'm not laughing, but I am scratching my head a bit.

How do you figure that? Is this a hardware thing? Because, concurrent PC releases or not, I don't see Platinum making games that don't run on a console in the foreseeable future. Hell, I think PC players would be lucky to get competent ports of Platinum games.

Sep 14, 2009
Zhukov said:
gmaverick019 said:
Zhukov said:
Meh. No great loss.
....don't you despise platform exclusivity?
Kinda. I wish it wasn't a thing, but I understand why it's done.

I bought a PS3 and a PS4 based entirely upon the exclusives they offered, so I can't exactly say they don't work.

...and opening it to the PC platform, they could potentially push some of their games to further limits (yes yes, ha ha, laugh at that, but it's potential if their games are selling like hotcakes compared to console sales)
I'm not laughing, but I am scratching my head a bit.

How do you figure that? Is this a hardware thing? Because, concurrent PC releases or not, I don't see Platinum making games that don't run on a console in the foreseeable future. Hell, I think PC players would be lucky to get competent ports of Platinum games.
could certainly run on a console, but could potentially be an afterthought rather than designed for it in the first place. with bayonetta (note: haven't seen for myself, just quoting the article) they pumped up the graphics and added 4k support, I'd say that's a fair start.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Storm3ye said:
I would DEFINITELY pick up Bayonetta 2 if it ever releases on PC.
You hear that sound? That is the sound of Nintendo picking up their ball, and going home.

I also would get Bayonetta 2 if it landed on PC.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
dragongit said:
I can understand games like Wonderful 101, being potentially a Nintendo IP, but games like Mad World, Anarchy Reigns, and especially Beyonetta 2 would sell on the PC. I heard Beyonetta 2 sold relatively poorly, only because it was exclusive to the Wii U. If they could port that to PC they could still maybe twice as many units. Just trim out the Nintendo skins and it should be good to go.

Yes I know Nintendo helped to make Beyonetta 2 a reality in the first place, but it's not going to do the company any good at this point. Since the Switch made the Wii U completely irrelevant, they won't get any additional sales off it.
Considering that Nintendo published it and Ive heard they put up most of the money for it. I kinda doubt we will see Bayonetta 2 on anything but a Nintendo system.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Irridium said:
The things I'd do for Vanquish on the PC...
Vanquish with a mouse and keyboard? I'd die a happy man if I could experience that.

Well the possibility of it just increased tenfold, Sega published both Bayonetta and Vanquish aaand we have Bayonetta out now so I'm guessing Vanquish eventually will be a thing?

Also part of me secretly hopes Nintendo's recent efforts into the mobile market will have them be open minded enough to consider a PC port of Bayonetta 2. Bayo 1 was amazing as all hell, but Bayo 2 is just perfection for me.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Had a flashback to Ubisoft's "we'll make beyond good and evil 2 if the HD version sells well" statement.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Nintendo does nice thing, gets shit on for it constantly.

I would direct ire to SEGA on this one. They decided to not publish Bayonetta 2, and they are the ones who published the games that Platinum has yet to bring to PC. Though did they actually say no?

Cause uh, no one is going to get away with putting Nintendo's own IPs somewhere else, so anyone expecting Starfox Zero on Steam is kidding themselves.

They say this as if they have some massive library of games stuck solely on console...they dont.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Zulnam said:
Had a flashback to Ubisoft's "we'll make beyond good and evil 2 if the HD version sells well" statement.
Hah. Had that thought too. Didn't help with the less-than-subtle last line of the OP. Let's also not forget that Ubi didn't stop at the HD version, they also did it with Rayman Origins and its' sequel. As great as they both were, that sort of technique for bumping sales kinda feels hard to ignore.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get it. Bayonetta 2 is over two years old and I doubt anyone would sign a exclusivity agreement longer than that, especially with existing name recognition.