Play Half-Life 2 for Half-Life 3

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I'd like to play HL2 again, so I'll join in, but seriously, this "demand" by the fans is ridiculous IMO. Yes, it's a big cliff hanger of a game we love. But the last thing you want to do with Valve is push them. Even people unfamiliar with certain TF2 updates should be familiar with the L4D2 resonance.

I really want them to do something big and influential with their next HL installment, so as long as they can deliver that, they can have all the time in the world as far as I care.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
hmm......I might just do this. I haven't played Half-Life 2 in a while and if it helps (Which it probably won't) It'd at least get our voice out that the community still loves Half Life

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
I won't be playing HL2 (don't have it) but I think I'll play some Half-Life or Sven Coop to support this in some way. :)

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
TLS14 said:
Zen Toombs said:
Hmm, well I don't have Steam. Is there any result from playing it on the Xbox?
I'd imagine that there wouldn't be. As the creators of Steam, Valve has direct access to see what people are playing on the platform at any given time. AFAIK, the Xbox 360 (or original Xbox, if you bought that version) doesn't offer that sort of functionality.

Panorama said:
I didn't think it was asking for Half life Episode 3 or Half life 3. I thought it was just asking Valve to tell us something. even if it is go and fuck off, just nice to hear from them. and i found this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34147052/ARedLetterDay.png
Why such a short timeframe? A half hour isn't really going to catch much attention, in my opinion. Why can't the full Saturday be this whole "Red Letter Day" thing?
Honestly i don't know i was looking at the group and someone made the poster and posted it on the group. So i thought i would share it. So im not sure but im planning on playing for longer then half an hour.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I'll definitely join. I have yet to get most of the Achievements anyway.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
I like this group, (and am a member,) because really that's all we want. We're not demanding that Valve release the next Half Life game, no-one's angry that it's taken so long. It's just that Valve have been so very tight-lipped about everything, not even giving the vaguest of hints. The only ones we've had are from regular folk who are going so stir-crazy that they start their own rumours. We trust Valve, we know this franchise means more to them then it does to its fans, we are confident that whatever they are doing it will be for the best. But it's got to the stage that it's become a little frustrating, even a little insulting.

We don't even need to hear anything about the game, just a little explanation about why they're being so closed off about it. I've drawn my own conclusion about it; given the extensive re-vamping, re-imagining and re-designing that goes on in Valve productions, (remember that TF2 started life in gritty realism,) I think Valve are going through the same thing to make sure it's the best they can make it. I mean as great as 2, E1 and E2 were there were some things that have become dated and ill-fitting. This would involve a lot of tearing down and starting over which is why a progress report wouldn't really mean anything. But a little communication would be appreciated, even if it wouldn't really mean anything. Basically a pat on the head and a soothing "there there, everything will be alright".

As to the weekend thing it's a good idea but I don't think I'll be near my PC this weekend. Oh well.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Oh god. This is probably going to cause even more of those terribly repetitive "WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH HL2?!?!?!?!?!" threads that people keep making. Seriously getting tired of those now.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Hmm. I'm not too fussed about when HL3 comes out, but it's an excuse to play HL2 again. Not that I need an excuse, it's a brilliant game.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I don't understand the logic of this...
What are they trying to prove? They are going to give Valve some extra money (the ones that don't have HL2 on steam, at least) and play one of their games to COMPLAIN about another game? Wouldn't it be more effective NOT to play their games?

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
This would work really well, It demonstrates how many existing Steam customers are still into a franchise that's only seen fan service for the last several years.

They'd have to be mad not to make Ep3 and then get the next one promised and delivered to freak people out. It'd build tremendous loyalty.

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
I'll do it, but I am 100% sure it wont work.

The only way Valve will release info on HL3 is when they're finally ready OR if someone goes as far as domestic terrorism.
Valve don't negotiate with terrorists.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Astoria said:
Has anyone considered that they're delaying it BECAUSE of things like this? They know people want it really bad so they're taking their time and making sure it's perfect. There are plenty of other games out there to play while you wait. Anyway, I doubt this will get any responce from Valve.
We don't want them to release it, we just want to know if they're still working on it.

OT: Sign me the hell up.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Treblaine said:
Fijiman said:
I would love to join if I had Steam and weren't going to be busy playing Iron Brigade for the rest of the week. Although I personally think that Valve is waiting for the next generation of consoles to be released before they release anything Half-Life related, which is a trollish move, but at least it's understandable.
Consoles? Valve?

Consoles have always gotten Valve's ports from PC focused development.

If Valve are developing a game with graphical fidelity a whole generation ahead of Xbox 360 well hardware capable of that is ALREADY on the market for PC gamers! Half Life 2 pushed the boundary for graphical fidelity and didn't max out on home consoles till 3 years after release in 2007 when it was released for the second time on Xbox 360.

Similar with Team Fortress 2 playable and worth playing across a wide range of hardware capability from a single core based and DX8 graphics card up to a hex-core DX11 rig.

So if Valve are making a game that has maximum settings way higher than an Xbox 360 they can just release the game now have mid-low settings for Xbox 360 release then when Third Xbox is released have HL3 get a release taking full advantage of that tech. In them mean time PC gamers can play it at max settings.
Sorry, I'm used to thinking with the console in mind because that's what I use for gaming and I don't have a computer that I could trust for gaming.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Marik Bentusi said:
I'd like to play HL2 again, so I'll join in, but seriously, this "demand" by the fans is ridiculous IMO. Yes, it's a big cliff hanger of a game we love. But the last thing you want to do with Valve is push them. Even people unfamiliar with certain TF2 updates should be familiar with the L4D2 resonance.

I really want them to do something big and influential with their next HL installment, so as long as they can deliver that, they can have all the time in the world as far as I care.
That's exactly what this group wants. The last thing we want is Valve to rush the next game.
The group just wants more communication with Half-Lfie fans. Valve is a company known to communicate a lot with its customers. They even say that communications with their customers is one of the most important things for them. For some reason they don't talk at all with Half-Life fans and this groups would like to improve that.
It's not a demand or something like that, we're perfectly fine with Valve making other games and taking a long time, we won't stop playing their games.
We just want to be acknowledged.

DonMelpomene said:
So with my timezone being UTC+1 I guess that would mean that I'd have to play at 18:00 ? ._.
Forgive me. I stink at Time Zone related calculations...
You can just look at the time in the Steamgroup. It's automatically converted to your local Timezone on Steam.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
This is about a thousand times cooler than the "send Valve a crowbar!" campaign. That was dangerous.

As much as I think Valve is playing it close to their chest for a reason, it has been a loooong time and I do think they perhaps owe it to the fans that more or less started them out to say at the LEAST that the game actually exists. Valve aren't dumb, but they are coy, and it's about time they laid their cards on the table for those of us who have been following the Half-Life series to see. ...I know Valve don't REALLY "owe" anyone anything, they aren't even obliged to do anything. But it really would show those who have been patiently waiting that they haven't put to waste their faith in the series.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
Well I will be joining them on my PS3 if that matters at all although if its not to expensive I might just pick it up.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Pinkamena said:
At E3 in june:

"I know a lot of you have been wanting this for a while now, and I'm sorry that we've kept so quiet about it, but I am glad that I can finally announce... LEFT 4 DEAD 3!"
Don't even joke! I was livid when bloody L4D2 was released only a YEAR after L4D and yet NOTHING was mentioned about HL3 and/or Episode 3.

OT: I think just the sheer amount of people who have commented saying that they have just finished or were planning to play Half Life 2 anyway, is proof enough that there is still a lot of love for this franchise.

Why Valve has abandoned its flagship title and her fans in such a manner is a mystery that has baffled me for a long time. Then they go and tease us by sticking little hints in Portal 2. Crafty bastards...

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
At first I was royally pissed off that they ended on such an incredible cliffhanger with no word as to what to expect. At this point though, I just don't care anymore. Hell, I probably won't even pick it up on release, if it ever gets that.

You know, I guess this makes HL3 the new DNF.

So good job Valve, you managed to go from a great developer into a joke in my eyes. Your games may be fun to play, but your community support for your franchises is absolutely atrocious.