Play of the Game

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
Have to say, the balance is pretty good right now. A few maps have balance issues. But none of the characters are OP.

Although play of the game to Bastion is still annoying.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Nahh. What do you think Junkrat and Pharah are for? They laugh at Reinhardt's shield and simply circumvent it.
It has 2000 health, their weapons do about 100 damage per direct hit. That's about 3 or four reloads to take the thing out alone. That's not laughing at it!

That Guy Ya Know

Forum Title:
Sep 9, 2009
Headsprouter said:
Cowabungaa said:
Nahh. What do you think Junkrat and Pharah are for? They laugh at Reinhardt's shield and simply circumvent it.
It has 2000 health, their weapons do about 100 damage per direct hit. That's about 3 or four reloads to take the thing out alone. That's not laughing at it!
The key word there was circumvent it, Pharah can jump over it and Junkrat can bounce his shots behind it.

Also another good counter is Mei, throw an ice wall between Reinhardt and his team and your team can easily focus fire him down even with the shield.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Headsprouter said:
Cowabungaa said:
They can circumbent the shield is what he's saying. Fly above with Pharrah or drop pipes over the shield with Junkrat. Also to note, McCree can throw his stun pellet above the shield and stun Reinhardt as well.

As for Bastion? Bjorn is much more difficult to deal with than that stationary robot. This is a shooter and movement will always be super important. I'd also second that the commendations at the end of the match are much more a sign of who did the best instead of the POG.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Meh, this may have been the case in the open beta, but since the launch I've seen Junkrat, Thorbj, Reaper get PoTG more than Bastion. Granted half of the games I've played have been with friends as opposed to PUGs where I seem to be the only one who knows how to counter Bastion and everybody else just runs up to him and dies one by one.

Nah, IMO the king (or in this case queen) of salt goes to Mei. Her ice spray really pisses me off to no end. Hell even Meis on my team piss me off sometimes.

Soldier 76: I got em in my sights
*Ally Mei puts up ice wall in the doorway*
GODDAMMIT MEI!!!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Headsprouter said:
Cowabungaa said:
No no, I meant that we literally circumvent it. Pharah is delightfully airborne, and a decent Junkrat simply arcs his grenades over the shield.
Zetatrain said:
Nah, IMO the king (or in this case queen) of salt goes to Mei. Her ice spray really pisses me off to no end. Hell even Meis on my team piss me off sometimes.

GODDAMMIT MEI!!!
Luckily it works the other way as well; an enemy Mei blocking the line of sight of their Hanzo and/or Widow meaning the enemy Mei is actually helping us advance. It's great!

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Smilomaniac said:
Remove "Play of the Game" since it's incompetently made anyway, reinstate kills/score screen to let people know whether they improve or not (people mostly don't play the objective anyway, making the removal irrelevant).
I'm pretty sure that already exists. Or are you talking about the stats for your allies and opponents?
Smilomaniac said:
There needs to be more focus on playing characters, not setting traps. Also, overtime needs to be removed, people should already be focusing on making final assaults before the timer runs out, not rely on overtime and a 0-100% win, which happens surprisingly often. The joke here is that people who don't go with their team is actually helping them and being rewarded for bad play.
It goes both ways. While a single player can reset the overtime counter that player is most likely going to get slaughtered. This means the attackers will be at a disadvantage since they will be down a man.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Cowabungaa said:
Zetatrain said:
GODDAMMIT MEI!!!
Luckily it works the other way as well; an enemy Mei blocking the line of sight of their Hanzo and/or Widow meaning the enemy Mei is actually helping us advance. It's great!
Unfortunately it doesn't change the fact that I just wasted my Ult :(
Maybe I should just play as Hanzo more. At least I don't have worry about anything getting in the way of that Ult (unless a genji reflects the arrow back at me).
aegix drakan said:
This has happened to me more than once. :mad: The salt was real.
Kinda ironic given the relationship between salt and ice.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Wrex Brogan said:
It's really weird when it comes to Bastion getting Play of the Day.

Get a quad-kill with an Ult on any character? Too bad, Bastion killed two enemies in turret mode.
Heal/revive a whole bunch of teammates in a clutch moment? Nope, Bastion, this time he killed three enemies.
Do literally the best playing of your entire life, single-handedly bringing your team to victory? This time, Bastion used his Ult. Didn't hit anything with it, but the use somehow dictates he's Play of the Game. Maybe 'cause of the cute beep he does when he goes into tank mode? You'll never know.
I remember actually tanking Bastion and Reaper's Ults back to back with Reinhardt's shield once. The play of the game went to someone getting a double kill or something.

I did get all the post-game votes though.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Sorry, that went over my head somehow.

Pharah's definitely an answer to the shield. Flitting about as her makes her an answer to a lot of things, doesn't it? But she's a fragile birdie so it's no problem of mine. Great hero.

As for Junkrat circumventing the shield it all depends on the situation. So my answer to that is sure, if there's a wall to bounce bombs off, but I think in most cases all you'll be getting is minor splash damage for the most part.

BytByte said:
You can refer to what I said above. TL;DR, Pharah, certainly, Junkrat, in theory...As for McCree, he's the only hero i've never played, but I've never seen one think to throw their stun over a shielding Rein. I'll have to try it out.

Totally with you on Torb, on high level gameplay, Bastions best used alongside sneaky positioning. I love Torb. Probably my favourite ult in the game, and it's fun armouring up the team and scoring headshots with the rivet gun.
That Guy Ya Know said:
I just wanted to say Mei's a pain in the bum and being outright frozen by her regular attack isn't fun. I know she can only do it at close range, but her reasonable health pool, means of escape/prevention of your escape and self heal make it all the more likely that she can pull it off. It's not like her long range attack isn't good either. One thing I know is that using Reinhardt's shield is easy to do well, playing Mei? I don't know. I don't think so, but I know I don't have fun fighting her.

As for cutting off Rein from his team, I think it's a lot easier said than done. It's unlikely that he would be the exact distance from every ally to allow space for a wall to make him fully alone.

Overall, I think the least circumstantial answer to a Reinhardt is another Reinhardt. You're on equal terms teamwise because you both have shields to bolster your defences o, and chances are one Rein will charge the other, and while they scuffle everyone else can fight normally.

Jan 27, 2011
Headsprouter said:
I love Torb. I love scoring headshots with the rivet gun.
Ever manage to countersniper a widowmaker up on a perch with the rivet gun? And then the Widow backs up so the perch hides her? And you manage to kill her with a headshot by using the drop-off of the rivet gun to essentially "curve" the bullet downwards and over the perch and kill her when you can't even see her?

:D It's magical.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
aegix drakan said:
Headsprouter said:
I love Torb. I love scoring headshots with the rivet gun.
Ever manage to countersniper a widowmaker up on a perch with the rivet gun? And then the Widow backs up so the perch hides her? And you manage to kill her with a headshot by using the drop-off of the rivet gun to essentially "curve" the bullet downwards and over the perch and kill her when you can't even see her?

:D It's magical.
I don't think I've ever managed to do it and realised, but I sure have tried! I have more luck catching Tracer with it as she tries to flank or nailing Mercy in the head from far away. So fun.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm a Bastion player, and I really don't see the need for a nerf, honestly. More skillful Bastion-ers (Bastioneers? Basteers?) than myself manage to secure team kills, but I'm the type who gets maybe one or two kills per life, seeing as I'm still trying to find the right joystick sensitivity levels for the game. Bastion strikes me as being more than fairly squishy, and his mode-changing animation is a huge open window for anyone with a good pair of eyes and decent reflexes. I've mostly died while going to and from my turret config, honestly.

What *is* OP, however, is when I see other Bastion players graft themselves to the heels of whoever happens to be playing as Reinhardt. I'm told the Beta version of Bastion had a personal shield, and that specific player pairing more or less recreates that unfair advantage.

Honestly, I don't really get the gripes. I guess I have to stick them in the same boat as disparaging comments regarding players who use Torbjorn as intended.

I mean, you're SUPPOSED to lay down turrets. What else is there to do as Overwatch's Faux Warcraft Dwarf; try and tank the enemy team all by your lonesome?

Sep 24, 2008
You Non-Support people astound me.

"WE NEED A HEALER!"

*switches to Mercy, Rezzes 3 people at once, Heals 60 percent of the damage done*

End of the game comes by, and you give all the votes to the Pharah who had 21 eliminations. And not even the play of the Game.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Burnouts3s3 said:
Ah, Bastion players. I never tire of seeing them gloat knowing full well of how a massive nerf is heading their way.
learn to counter. at long range bastion does barely any damage, snipers can pick him off, or at least force to relocate. roadhog can just shut off his turret mode in closer quarters. Junkrat lols at any turret. that is just a few solo solutions. as a team you can do terrible things to even a well defended Bastion.

I start to get where "git gud" is coming from.

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
I've managed to get Play of the Game quite a few times with D.Va. Just wait for the enemy team to group up and then drop a self destructing mech on their heads.I had a match where an enemy D.Va blocked the only doorway with one and wiped out four of us at once.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Edit: I'm not entirely innocent if I'm being honest, though, as my best Defense hero isn't much better: Torbjorn.

I'd say this sums things up nicely:
In my experience the team depends on clutch turret placement, but never votes for the builder post game :(

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
Bastion gets the hate because the RNG favors him for play of the game, but a better question is why use any tank except reinhart? Sure roadhog has chain and heal, which are good, but they aren't charge and shield. Also, why is EVERY mission a payload mission now? What happened to point capture?

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
Nurb said:
RJ 17 said:
Edit: I'm not entirely innocent if I'm being honest, though, as my best Defense hero isn't much better: Torbjorn.

I'd say this sums things up nicely:
In my experience the team depends on clutch turret placement, but never votes for the builder post game :(
Turret placement can make or break a defense game. I've had my team get thrashed more then once because Symmetra planted sentry turrets in the hardest to see and hardest to hit places.