Play StarCraft II in Style With Razer Peripherals

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Play StarCraft II in Style With Razer Peripherals

Are you totally excited about StarCraft II? Do you have a couple of hundred bucks to burn? Then Razer has some stuff for you!

With <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276886201&sr=8-1>StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty's release fast approaching, it's a wonder we're not seeing more tie-in products to coincide with the game's launch. Razer, a computer peripheral manufacturer here in the United States, has announced a series of new PC accessories that are sure to appeal to any rabid StarCraft fan. The devices may look pretty, but they're certainly going to do some ugly things to your wallet.

First up is the Spectre, a gaming mouse described by Razer as "tournament-ready." The mouse has five buttons and utilizes a new "Actions-Per-Minute" light system that sounds impressive and confusing all at once. "The newly developed APM (Actions-Per-Minute) Lighting System with a multi-color LED that provides real-time performance feedback through changing lighting hues and adjustable mouse button force settings for optimal mouse click speed and control." It also uses a 5600 DPI laser sensor. The suggested price for the Spectre is $79.99.

Of course, Razer knows players will want a keyboard to go along with their shiny new mouse. Enter the Marauder, a backlit keyboard that also utilizes the APM system. It's also going to include a "dedicated on-the-fly macro recording system." The Marauder is expected to go for $119.99.

Finally, Razer has unveiled the Banshee headset, which is being marketed towards anyone who plans to play the game online. Again, the APM lighting system will be implemented, though the headphones have some extra features, too. "The Razer Banshee is equipped with a configuration utility for customized adjustments of equalizer, pitch and volume. Other special features include a detachable microphone boom for easy transport and a comfortable circumaural construction, all in a gaming-optimized design inspired by the StarCraft universe." The Banshee is set to sell for $119.99.

All of these peripherals seem pretty high-quality, but picking all of them up is going to set you back roughly $320 (on top of the cost for StarCraft II itself). Not only that, but an official release date more specific than "Q3 2010" has yet to be revealed, so it sounds like they may not actually be available when the game hits stores next month. In the meantime, you might want to check out The Escapist's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/sc2+beta>StarCraft 101 videos for some hints and tips on how to play the game.

If you've got the cash to burn and have an overwhelming desire to kit your room out with all things StarCraft, you could do worse, but at least some of us are OK with the idea of playing the game on hardware we already own.

Source: Geek.com

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
There's no question, I'm probably going to buy this.
Not only do I need new stuff (My old mouse is from like 2003), and this mouse looks incredibly badass and yes, I love Starcraft that much.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ultimateownage said:
Ah, Razer, you and your shite products which cost way too fucking much.
Well... the tarantula is quite frankly the most comfortable keyboard I've ever owned... Overpriced? Yeah, probably. But I'd hardly call it shite.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
meh, fads.

maybe good quality but there are better products with more features for less $$$.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
ultimateownage said:
Eh, my Deathadder is the most comfortable and precise mouse I've ever held, some of their stuff is pricey, but very good.

Might consider buying some of this, at the very least I'm considering the headset, I need a new one anyway.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Starke said:
ultimateownage said:
Well... the tarantula is quite frankly the most comfortable keyboard I've ever owned... Overpriced? Yeah, probably. But I'd hardly call it shite.
From my experience the products are barely what you can call quality products. The headset I had was uncomfortable and poorly made, it broke really easily and the microphone was so damn small it didn't even reach my cheek. The mouse was okay, but it was bulky and the laser sensor at the bottom bugged out a lot.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Thats is very, very shinny for a mouse! And if I had money to burn, I would be buying it~!

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
No thanks, I'll stick with my Logitech MX-518. I paid $50 for that mouse in 2005 and it's still going strong.

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
It probably functions the same as any other gaming mouse, but I'll be damned if I didn't drool anyway.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Man, imagen the instant focus firing one can do with that mouse several types of units, getting vikings to knock down the Void Rays while marines kill the Immortals while Tanks deal with the Stalkers and zealots at range...

Oh god... I need to stop watching HD and Husky so much...

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
Hurk. Too expensive. So long as my mouse/keyboard works well, I'll keep them.

LockeDown

Sep 27, 2009
If this thing works anything like their Barracuda headset, I won't be buying it.

My experience with Razr products has been pretty terrible. My earphones only work about 60% of the time, the mic they're bundled with is utter trash, and the mouse I've got is the most imprecise and infuriating thing I've ever used.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
No thanks. I'm not paying that money for a mouse or any other peripheral.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I understand the need for mice when playing strategies but this is just an overpriced gimmick. For half the price of that mouse you'd get a Logitech that would probably beat it.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ultimateownage said:
Starke said:
ultimateownage said:
From my experience the products are barely what you can call quality products. The headset I had was uncomfortable and poorly made, it broke really easily and the microphone was so damn small it didn't even reach my cheek. The mouse was okay, but it was bulky and the laser sensor at the bottom bugged out a lot.
Their keyboards are pretty solid, though the anti-ghosting tech has a habit of bugging out occasionally. Still the Tarantula is probably the best keyboard I've owned, or at least the most comfortable. I find their mice remarkably comfortable as well, but that could be because I have large hands. As for their other peripherals? I wouldn't touch them. Their "battle light" attachment is a cheap LED light with a USB interface, and I haven't looked at their headsets. So it wouldn't surprise me if those are sub par.