Playing as a Different Gender

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I know this has been discussed on every video game related message board since the dawn of time but I haven't seen it discussed here before, so... here we go!

Playing the opposite sex. Why do people find it strange? Usually people don't pay any mind to playing another gender when the game forces you to, but in RPGs especially (both video game and table top) many people have stigmas against men plays as women and vice versa.

Just the other night my step dad saw me playing TOR and asked, "Why are you a girl?"

I responded with, "I don't know. Just cause?"

Here's what I don't understand about the stigma: In most cases this is most prevalent in RPGs, games in which you take on a role. The most commonly relatable protagonist to role play for most men is a male who is a generally nice guy. It makes sense that most people would play that character as it is easy to get into and understand the character. The part that doesn't make sense is when men roleplay as male characters, DON'T go that path or another similar to their own ideas/personality/morals,etc. and actually role play an entirely different kind of person than themselves how does gender really make that much of a difference? Yes I can relate to a male more than a female since I am male, but I can relate to a female with similar convictions than I could a male sociopath.

Anyway I think I tired out my introduction, discuss!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Meh, I sort of take turns. Some RPGs if the last character I made was a guy, the next will be a girl and so on.

b1u3too

Jul 14, 2009
I used to always play male characters in online games, since I was creeped on a lot.

I just generally enjoy the escapism of it. Though I'm finding in MMO's these days, people don't assume you are the same gender as your screen character.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Ive never really understood why playing transvirtual (playing a gender opposite your own) is such a taboo subject. Nor have I ever heard anyone give a reason why it should be taboo that isnt grounded in completely subjective reasoning. I do understand that some people find it uncomfortable or strange but its always in the same way that I get a bit grossed out when I hear about other cultures eating dogs. Im not supposed to feel that way since I eat cows, chickens, fish, etc but its just how Im wired.

Frankly I think if someone enjoys playing something we need to let them, it doesnt matter if its a specific game, a style of play, or a character type. To do anything less seems, for lack of a better word, snobbish

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
It's a really strange issue. People will get skeeved out by a guy playing a girl, but not get skeeved out by that same guy playing an orc. And I really never hear women complaining about female players "posing" as men.

So at the end of the day you have to assume it's just latent transphobia/homophobia taking a really silly form.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
When I play a character even in RPG's (make your own). I'm not playing as me I'm playing a character. It doesn't bother me when a movie has the main character as a girl.

I like to make the character to match a role. In KOTOR II when your in the cells and the bounty hunter threatens us and Atton says something like pick on someone your own size. Your a jedi you can handle yourself. If your a guy that makes no sense but if your character is a girl it makes way more sense. So whatever I'm player KOTOR II I make a female character.

In Mass Effect everything in the game shifts you to a male shepard (well to me it does). So I always make a male Shepard.

In MMO's I like to mix up the characters I play. Sith are aggressive, a trait normally in men so I make a guy. Jedi compassion, so a girl. Yes it's a stereotype our society is filled with them. So I roll with it.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
In our society behaving outside your gender role is frowned upon. Manly men shouldn't play as girls, or if they do it's because they're totally straight and like sexy women!

Or at least that is what it seems like to me. I'd say play however you want, I play as the opposite sex all the time. Most of the time if I play a character that is nothing like me, I play a male. It's less weird that way to me since I do relate more to my gender.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Cazza said:
When I play a character even in RPG's (make your own). I'm not playing as me I'm playing a character. It doesn't bother me when a movie has the main character as a girl.

I like to make the character to match a role. In KOTOR II when your in the cells and the bounty hunter threatens us and Atton says something like pick on someone your own size. Your a jedi you can handle yourself. If your a guy that makes no sense but if your character is a girl it makes way more sense. So whatever I'm player KOTOR II I make a female character.

In Mass Effect everything in the game shifts you to a male shepard (well to me it does). So I always make a male Shepard.

In MMO's I like to mix up the characters I play. Sith are aggressive, a trait normally in men so I make a guy. Jedi compassion, so a girl. Yes it's a stereotype our society is filled with them. So I roll with it.
Yeah I agree about the Kotor II sentiment. The story makes more sense and is just overall better if you play a female. On the Mass Effect front I think they did a great job in both games making Shepard feel gender neutral when gender doesn't matter (and emphasizing it when it does like in the romances obviously). I play male and female Shepards and both genders feel extremely natural in the game.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I usually play female because it's easier for me to immerse myself in a story with a female protagonist. And because I like having a good name for my character. I just can't think of any male names I like. :p

But I don't really have problems with playing with a guy, I played through both KOTOR games with both genders and it was both great.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Probably stems from the stigma against boys playing with Barbies. Boys should play with GI Joes and toy soldiers! (note: that's a common mentality not my personal views)

Anyway, considering the fact that the whole premise of an RPG means you're not playing yourself, I don't think it should matter in the least if you RP a guy or girl. However, I won't play a girl unless you can have lesbian romances, because I just personally have no interest in romancing a guy, even if it's virtual. *shrug* (that said, I could always just ignore the romance options too).

I generally like playing single player RPGs as a female character if for no other reason than I like boobs*. I mean I made a male mage first for Skyrim, but now I play more on a female sneaky archer (or rather, I did, as I haven't played in a month). I played my only FO:NV run as a female, but I played FO3 as a male first and then a female second. Fable 1 and 3 I played as guys. In WoW I mostly made male characters, until my female undead rogue, Skeleto. She was awesome. Got her to Blood Guard back in the old PVP days at lvl 60.

*Take this as an immature way of saying I find the slender female form more aesthetically pleasing that a 250 lb meat bag.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I always play as a girl . I am a man . I actually like the fact that people assume female characters are female players , it makes it all more halarious when guys think they got beat by a girl . But i never pretend to be a girl that that would be just creepy .

As to why people find that strange? Well , people are stupid. And imagine that guys tht play as girls are fat shut ins that want to feel sey and have attention ( like in that one movie called "gamer")

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
krazykidd said:
I always play as a girl . I am a man . I actually like the fact that people assume female characters are female players , it makes it all more halarious when guys think they got beat by a girl . But i never pretend to be a girl that that would be just creepy .

As to why people find that strange? Well , people are stupid. And imagine that guys tht play as girls are fat shut ins that want to feel sey and have attention ( like in that one movie called "gamer")
I can never get away with tricking people into thinking I am female in MMOs due to the fact I use names like "Fappy" and "Bushmonster". :p

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
90% of time I pick male because I am male. The other 10% or less of time I will make female character. Main motivation for female character is if I'm bored and have beat game with male character already or female character has slightly different stats which last game I remember with that was oblivion.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Lagao said:
I always create a persona close to my own.
Sorry pixels don't attract me nor am I constantly paying attention to my virtual ass.

Its a game, stop getting off on it and play the damn thing.
Ugh. The amount of people who "get off" to "pixels" is relatively small, whereas I'd hazard to say most people can find "pixels" to be attractive. I mean I'd rather drive an Acura RSX over a Honda Civic (pretty much the same car with different bodies) because I find it sexier - but I'm not about to stick my dick in the gas tank!

Finding something more appealing, visually, does not have to translate to finding it sexually arousing.

Stop being judgmental and let people enjoy what they want without snide remarks.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
b1u3too said:
I used to always play male characters in online games, since I was creeped on a lot.

I just generally enjoy the escapism of it. Though I'm finding in MMO's these days, people don't assume you are the same gender as your screen character.
You can thank millions of man hours of men pretending to be a semi lascivious little girl for that. As creepy as it sounds.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Lagao said:
I always create a persona close to my own.
Sorry pixels don't attract me nor am I constantly paying attention to my virtual ass.

Its a game, stop getting off on it and play the damn thing.
Curious, do you find any visual representation to be devoid of emotional attachment, hormonal or otherwise?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Given the choice I'll usually have at least one female character, for various reasons. On the petty end of the scale, I figure if I'm going to be looking at someone's rear for what will end up being hours of gameplay, I'd much prefer looking at that of a lady. Comparative aesthetics also play a role. Take TOR as a case in point: I took one look at the male models and their [admittedly just defaulted] behemoth appearance and said "yeah...no". Seriously, I despise the notion that 'massive men' is some kind of default. On a less petty note, I find it more interesting to play a female due to the comparative rarity of strong female protagonists (especially if we exclude deuteragonists and triagonists) in the medium, and there's just something cathartic about making your character embody that role.

Of course, there are some things that make it much harder for me to consider playing a female character, namely romance. Don't get me wrong, I have little issue playing out a game romance with a female character, but there are some cases where the options make me more interested in playing my own gender. Using KoTOR as an example: after completing the game and letting it sit for a while, I learned that one of the characters in TOR was the descendent of Bastilla Shaun and the player's character in KoTOR. I immediately picked up the game and played it again to see how 'history' was meant to play out in the Star Wars universe. I have to say, it added a lot to the final parts of the game and that makes it hard for me to consider using a female character again if I do another playthrough. On a less railroaded note, I started up a new Commander Shepherd shortly after I discovered that Tali was a romance option and seeing the build-up through youtube (what can I say? She was adorable when she was 'babbling like an idiot'). Though of course, I'm hardly averse to playing as my own gender. I just find it enjoyable to change things up...though I will admit it gets awkward very quickly in MMOs when people start flirting with me.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
boag said:
You can thank millions of man hours of men pretending to be a semi lascivious little girls for that. As creepy as it sounds.
I've never really understood why this would matter. I don't go trolling online games to find dates, and I don't find "semi-lascivious little girls" erotic in any case, so it would all be moot to me.

Related question...if you were playing a game, and it had an attractive female NPC in it, would your affection for that NPC be altered if you found out her dialogue had been written by a man?