Playstation 1 classics

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
I can't really speak for nostalgia, since I spent most of my time with PS1 just watching my big brother play Final Fantasy -series when it was still current-gen, but for whatever reason I've started playing a decent amount of PS1 games recently.

Parasite Eve II - Played this for the first time just this year, and while I usually try to be tolerant of other people's opinions, what the fuck is wrong with this games' reception? It's like Resident Evil but everything's better; more varied and distinct weapons, enemies and equipment, more secrets, solid story, better gameplay including far superior auto-aim and radar that helps you outmaneuver enemies, extra game modes, EPIC bosses, freakin' MAGIC SPELLS and more. I don't even like Resident Evil that much and I think this game is amazing!

Spider-Man - Pretty much the most you could ask for from Spider-Man on PS1, and I love how you can stealth kill enemies by jumping on their backs and just pound them in their heads. Never gets old.

Final Fantasy I - I like this one for it's simplicity with fair amount of strategy, and the graphics are simple 2D at its finest. The way you have to choose your permanent party at the start is also really cool and adds tons of replay value.

Tenchu: Stealth Assassin - Just plain fun stealth killing, especially if you're amused by old, overdone blood effects. Also, the cut-scenes are pure unintentional comedy-gold.

Silent Hill - Creepy though not downright scary, and the combat and exploration are really good for it's time.

Esper Empress

May 10, 2011
Doclector said:
Esper Empress said:
I miss my PS1 gaming experiences soooo much. Nothing can beat your first few games. Although, the games I can always replay have to be Crash Bandicoot 3 and Spyro. I have to think of some other ones, but man, I can just replay those. I haven't even got 100% on Crash yet.
If anyone ever has, they deserve every medal ever. Damn gems...
I know, right? It's those extra levels that trip me up the most :\

Project_Omega

Sep 7, 2009
Doclector said:
Today I was just wandering around a local gaming store, and a saw something that made my nostalgia senses tingle like spiderman in the same room as mr t. It was a ps1 game named medievil, about a one eyed, lower jawless undead knight trying to reclaim his former glory. It took me back to those days of the ps1, my very first console, and my favourite games on it. Such as;

40 winks: this brilliantly mad platformer meddled with the idea of dreams far before christopher Nolan started to mess with people's minds using bendy cities and spinning tops. Awesome powerups, brilliant puzzles, and varied levels. Awesome stuff.

Crash bandicoot 2: 'nuff said, to be honest. This was the first game I played and the first game I loved. Where did it all go wrong crash? WHYYYY!?

Hogs of war; okay, it's effectively a ww1 themed porcine worms clone.

But it's a damn good one. Really funny too.

So, what are your old ps1 classics?
Medievil 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 8
Crash Bandicoot 3
Steel Reign
Spyro 3

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Silent Hill
Parappa the rapper
Final fantasy 7
Final fantasy 8
Final fantasy 9
Metal gear solid
Crash Bandicoot

I love the Playstation 1, brings about all kinds of memories :D

TheEndIsNear5115

May 21, 2009
Doclector said:
TheEndIsNear5115 said:
)
Star Wars Demolition
epic stuff. Really liked the fact they gave proper backstories to every character. The wookies bad ending was kinda sad. :(
That's why I liked it so much! It didn't try to reinvent the Extended Universe, it grew around it.

Also, as a young boy, I may or may not have enjoyed the Tia and Ghia bad ending. ;]

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Spyro
Spyro 2
Spyro 3
Crash
Crash 2
Crash 3
Croc
Medieval
Legend Of Dragoon
Tombi
Time Crisis
Point Blanc
I miss all of these games...

leady129

Aug 3, 2009
Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus
Silent Hill 1
and the one you mentioned; Medievil

These were the games that got the most milage in my PS1. All classics.

chellybelly

Jul 9, 2011
Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Crash team racing, Gran Turismo, Ape Escape, off the top of my head.
I was more of a PC gamer, but hell I miss that awesome console.