PlayStation 2 Emulation is Coming to PS4

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

Sony is working on bringing PS2 backwards compatibility to the PS4.

Backwards compatibility has been somewhat of a contentious talking point this generation. Originally spurned by both Sony and Microsoft, Microsoft surprised everyone by revealing that Sony themselves [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161204-New-Xbox-One-Experience-Update], who were left scratching their heads in the aftermath. But if there's one thing tech giants can do, it's play catch-up, and so we have now heard that Sony is working hard on bringing PlayStation 2 emulation to the PS4. Not quite as good as PS3 backwards compatibility, but it's a start.

"We are working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation," a Sony representative told Wired magazine [http://www.wired.com/2015/11/playstation-2-emulation-coming-to-ps4-sony-confirms/]. "We have nothing further to comment at this point in time."

Furthermore, it looks like this tech is already out there in the wild, as a bundle available now at retail includes a PS4 console and Star Wars: Battlefront, along with a selection of bonus classic PS2-era games: Super Star Wars, Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

Back in June, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said that "[backwards compatibility on PS4] would be super challenging to do so. I never say never, but we have no plans." He pointed out the very unique architecture of the PS3 as the biggest challenge, which may explain why Sony is skipping over the PS3 and heading straight to the PS2.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/2015/11/playstation-2-emulation-coming-to-ps4-sony-confirms/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Not quite as good as PS3 backwards compatibility...
While this is subjective, i consider PS2 compatibility to be better. I have far more PS2 discs than i do PS3 discs and my PS2 collection contains a much greater proportion of cult classics that would never recieve a port to/remake on a current-gen console or PC. Including things like Ace Combat 5 and Zero, God Hand, Okami, Viewtiful Joe and a couple of other games so minor i get elitist over knowledge of thier very existence.

This compared to my PS3 collection where the crown jewels are Dark Souls and an imported japanese retail version of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: All-Star Battle.

And needless to say, this is pushing me further towards getting a PS4.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
So they finally grew a brain and it only took forever.
I just hope by "technology" they mean "emulator" and not some streaming bullshit.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Well, it's about damn time. Fingers crossed that it works well.

Still, are they also putting PS1 emulation on the PS4?

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
My only worry...is it REAL emulation, meaning I can put my old discs in the system and it plays, or is it the PS3 version of "emulation", in which is only emulates the games you repurchased from their online store (Probably for the third of fourth time).

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
no one really cares about a backwards compatible ps4. thexbone/vcr needed it cause most 360's are dead or dying and gamers needed a console to play their games on that didn't catch on fire at random.. or gain ascension and hold you at gun point for your wallet before running off with your girlfriend... the ps3 on the other had didn't have that issue and still works great. so us ps3 owners can play our ps3 games on our ps3 consoles and let our ps4's be for ps4 games ( as well as the avalanche of remastered ps3 games)

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
crazygameguy4ever said:
no one really cares about a backwards compatible ps4. thexbone/vcr needed it cause most 360's are dead or dying and gamers needed a console to play their games on that didn't catch on fire at random.. or gain ascension and hold you at gun point for your wallet before running off with your girlfriend... the ps3 on the other had didn't have that issue and still works great. so us ps3 owners can play our ps3 games on our ps3 consoles and let our ps4's be for ps4 games ( as well as the avalanche of remastered ps3 games)
Except this is for PS2 emulation, where PS2's only have component cables and many brands of monitors/modern TVs are phasing out standard video component cables.
Sure, you could hunt on the internet for a decent CRT and then lug it around your house into the room you want to play it, but they are always bulky and require more space.
If my PS4 lets me play PS2 games (especially in the rumored upscaled manner), that will let me have one less giant ass television in my room just dedicated to PS2 games.

I don't have all the house space in the world to have all my gaming consoles out in one area. I love continuing to own each and every one of them, but if I can condense them down to several backwards compatible systems, then damn right backwards compatibility is important.

Rot Krieg

Feb 6, 2008
Well, I think it's high time for me to drag my PS2 copy of Silent Hill 2 out, instead of that crappy PS3 port. Yay!

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Steven Bogos said:
Furthermore, it looks like this tech is already out there in the wild, as a bundle available now at retail includes a PS4 console and Star Wars: Battlefront, along with a selection of bonus classic PS2-era games: Super Star Wars, Star Wars: Racer Revenge, Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, and Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.
Bit of a correction, Super Star Wars is a SNES title that was already re-released.

Otherwise, this just smells more like what they did on the PS3 so don't expect physical discs to work, guys.
vallorn said:
Well, it's about damn time. Fingers crossed that it works well.

Still, are they also putting PS1 emulation on the PS4?
Also this because the PS3, PSP and Vita had it and you already have a fuckton of games on the PSN so why not just get the licensing worked out and bring more classics to your current flagship?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
If I can use my old PS2 discs, this will be welcome indeed. My old PS2 isn't working, the laser doesn't seem to be moving properly and I'm missing the tools to even try to fix the issue myself. And my PS2 collection is one of my biggest collections, though my PS1 collection is pretty decent in size.

PS3 backwards compatibility would also be nice. However, most people that have a PS4 and PS3 games probably have a PS3, too, so I wouldn't think it is as important.

L377UC3

Nov 11, 2015
Steven Bogos said:

Sony is working on bringing PS2 backwards compatibility to the PS4.

Backwards compatibility has been somewhat of a contentions talking point this generation. Originally spurned by both Sony and Microsoft, Microsoft surprised everyone by revealing that Sony themselves [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161204-New-Xbox-One-Experience-Update], who were left scratching their heads in the aftermath. But if there's one thing tech giants can do, it's play catch-up, and so we have now heard that Sony is working hard on bringing PlayStation 2 emulation to the PS4. Not quite as good as PS3 backwards compatibility, but it's a start.

"We are working on utilizing PS2 emulation technology to bring PS2 games forward to the current generation," a Sony representative told Wired magazine [http://www.wired.com/2015/11/playstation-2-emulation-coming-to-ps4-sony-confirms/]. "We have nothing further to comment at this point in time."

Back in June, Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida said that "[backwards compatibility on PS4] would be super challenging to do so. I never say never, but we have no plans." He pointed out the very unique architecture of the PS3 as the biggest challenge, which may explain why Sony is skipping over the PS3 and heading straight to the PS2.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/2015/11/playstation-2-emulation-coming-to-ps4-sony-confirms/]

Hells to the yes. I'm not going to lie, I expected PS3 compatibility, and there's obviously the possibility that this won't work nearly as well as I hope it will, but as someone who jumped from PS2 to 360, I have to say that this is perhaps the only time in my life where I will ever feel like both Microsoft and Sony are doing shit for me specifically. It's exciting, nonetheless. Can't wait to see how it works.

Funny how both companies unveiled their console and say "Backwards compatibility doesn't matter," and now their both racing against each other to get it to work on their systems as fast as possible. The cluelessness of the AAA is infuriating when its trying to screw you over, but when its trying to respond to its customers, its almost endearing in a kid-with-a-mental-disability-trying-to-do-something-nice-for-you way.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
"Super-challenging to do", huh? They're not very aware of the emulation scene, are they?

The PS4 is basically a PC on the inside, and there have been PS2 emulators for Windows and Linux available for years (probably MacOS, too). They could save themselves a lot of work by just picking the one with the best compatibility and porting to PS4OS. If PS4OS is just a custom Linux distro, they don't even need to bother with porting.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
yay at least the title said emulation this time! sucks to be sony though because i still have my ps2 plugged in and all my games already purchased

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
hopefully this means true emulation so I can play my PS2 library with no trouble because I have a ton of games on there that are absolute classics and there's only so long my PS2 can last.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Roxor said:
"Super-challenging to do", huh? They're not very aware of the emulation scene, are they?

The PS4 is basically a PC on the inside, and there have been PS2 emulators for Windows and Linux available for years (probably MacOS, too). They could save themselves a lot of work by just picking the one with the best compatibility and porting to PS4OS. If PS4OS is just a custom Linux distro, they don't even need to bother with porting.
Emulators are the reason I don't really see the benefit of this. Sure, if this was about backwards compatibility with PS3 games I'd have an interest as it will be years before that will be useable, but with PS2 emulation right now I can just play all my PS2 games on an emulator on the very computer I'm typing this on, and with all the benefits emulators bring (and the games would probably end up running better too). Unless someone either has a really really old computer or somehow doesn't have one I can't see why anyone would really need a PS4 that has backwards compatibility with PS2 games at all.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Roxor said:

The thing that is the challenging part is making sure that the games being emulated actually work properly, 100% of the time.

Sure, when you are playing on your computer with an emulator, it is easy for you to simply switch out the graphics driver and toggle with the frame skip a bit to get a badly running game running optimally, however, this isn't an option for people playing on a console, because having to fiddle with compatibility settings isn't part of playing console, games are expected to work, period.

Seeing as Sony knows how the PS2 worked, they won't have to make guesstimates on how to emulate parts of it, but, I imagine that there are still games out there that will work in wonky and weird ways on a purely software emulated PS2. One aspect to look at is, for example, the frame rate of games, a lot of games will work properly with 'overclocked' frame rates, however there are games that have certain mechanics locked to a certain frame rate, meaning that the emulator can't just jump to 60FPS in those games, but it would have to be locked to 30FPS.

So I imagine that the "Super-challenging" part of this is finding the odd games with weird compatibility issues and making sure that every game works properly. Seeing as there are roughly 3874 games released on PS2, I can imagine that this'd take a while and a lot of effort. Aside from some wonky licensing issues.

My name is JACK said:
I'm so glad that when I bought my PS3, I made sure it was the SKU that was backwards compatable.
So was I, until the little bugger YLOD'd on me and poof, gone was PS2 compatibility.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
gigastar said:
While this is subjective, i consider PS2 compatibility to be better. I have far more PS2 discs than i do PS3 discs and my PS2 collection contains a much greater proportion of cult classics that would never recieve a port to/remake on a current-gen console or PC. Including things like Ace Combat 5 and Zero, God Hand, Okami, Viewtiful Joe and a couple of other games so minor i get elitist over knowledge of thier very existence.

This compared to my PS3 collection where the crown jewels are Dark Souls and an imported japanese retail version of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: All-Star Battle.

And needless to say, this is pushing me further towards getting a PS4.
More than that though, the PS3 is still being manufactured, while the PS2 isn't. If the latter breaks, it's bye-bye Onimusha and Silent Hill. Forever. I am so overprotective of my PS2 right now, so hopefully this emulation will do its job.

If this does come to pass though, let's hope it doesn't run into the same pittfalls as the PS3's BC, where some games run great while others run like complete crap.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Just woke up. But this is great news to read. My PS2 library isn't large but it will be welcomed to be able to play Guilty Gear on a widescreen TV, instead of a 4:3 CRT TV.

Jun 20, 2013
Roxor said:

The problem with that is a lot of emulators I've seen are licensed under GPL, and a lot of businesses don't like the GPL because of some requirements like (IIRC) having to release the source code if you make any changes. I've also seen some emulators that specifically forbid against commercial use. Ignoring this stuff can get you in hot water, I recall Retron 5 people getting into some trouble over ignoring open source licences, not sure if anything came of that.

To Sony, it probably makes more sense to write their own, though I wouldn't be surprised if they used existing emulators as reference material. I think the guy who wrote Bleem worked or works for Sony and helped with BC, so Sony might actually own the Bleem source code for all we know.