Playstation 5 out now?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So this has to be one of the biggest launch blunders I've ever tried to navigate. As you might know, Sony decided to sell the Playstation 5 through online method's ONLY. Meaning even if you buy it from Best Buy or Walmart or whatever, you must make your purchase online, and only then can you go to the store to get it picked up. This is to prevent people from flooding stores and risking covid.....despite you having to go to most of these stores in person for a pick up, defeating the purpose.
I mean... people lining up in droves for even a chance at a PS5 before it sells out is much different from only those who have pre-ordered picking up their purchases at their convenience.

Not saying that this wasn't a fuck up, but I appreciate their effort to at least try and reduce the risk of Covid. I'd think Microsoft would definitely have the advantage in this case, being a much bigger company with better infrastructure. I don't know how Microsoft did with the Xbox though, because I haven't seen a single article about the release date in my country. Did Microsoft ship the consoles themselves or something?

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Telling a difference and there being "quite a difference" are 2 different things. Watch Dogs/Middle-earth PS3 vs PS4, quite a difference; Spiderman PS4 vs PS5, a noticeable but not "quite a difference".

Where did I say I have complete disregard for the generation? I have complete disregard for it as it stands now at launch (very few consoles launch with killer apps) but where it is now and 3 years from now are 2 different things. I will most likely get a PS5 eventually as a PS5 will be cheaper than getting a video card and power supply for my PC.
60fps vs 30fps makes a big difference.

I wish I was scalping this console.
What, like this?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
60fps vs 30fps makes a big difference.
Not for me. I can play TLOU Remastered equally fine at 60fps or 30fps as the game has an option for it and I toggled it back and forth when I played it. I played Spiderman perfectly fine on PS4, I don't see why the new one would be any different. Plus, it's not like the game even requires timing and inputs on par with even a sluggish shooter like TLOU, Spiderman's dodge is very lenient.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Not for me. I can play TLOU Remastered equally fine at 60fps or 30fps as the game has an option for it and I toggled it back and forth when I played it. I played Spiderman perfectly fine on PS4, I don't see why the new one would be any different. Plus, it's not like the game even requires timing and inputs on par with even a sluggish shooter like TLOU, Spiderman's dodge is very lenient.
Okay. I enjoy just moving the camera around the world and going 'woah'.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I did forget about that, I will want to try out the controller and see how much it actually makes a difference. Though there is that Linus video on the PS4 controller and what it can do and developers never took advantage of it.
It would be interesting to find out why, since if competitive advantage was a concern in MP for example they could easily just have separate lobbies for control types.

Guessing the DualSense will have a similar hack since it also has gyro.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I'd like to see your plan for selling something at launch where you don't have the supply to meet demand while eliminating scalping somehow.
Well, supply more of the things for one. The initial sales are only a part of what you'll eventually sell so even if you have made too many of the things, you'll likely sell all of your initial batch in due time. Unlike milk playstations don't spoil.

Supply them locally as OP said.

And try to prevent or at least make it harder for people buying more than one of the thing.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Well, supply more of the things for one. The initial sales are only a part of what you'll eventually sell so even if you have made too many of the things, you'll likely sell all of your initial batch in due time. Unlike milk playstations don't spoil.

Supply them locally as OP said.

And try to prevent or at least make it harder for people buying more than one of the thing.
I think Sony produced and shipped as much PS5's as manufacture and the supply chain allowed. Espescially at that low price point it's no surprise they sold out so quick. I'd give it probably 6 months until supply can meet up with demand. Sony also has their own factory now and no longer solely relies on Foxconn so that should also speed up production.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Huh, how do you actually stop scalpers and basic supply and demand?
Well what I would do is ship them directly to stores with stipulations of how they are supposed to be sold.

Limit one console purchase per-household, buyers must show ID's with valid address. Retail chains have ways to flag duplicate addresses as they use this system to prevent credit card fraud so it isn't a big ask. (most of these chain stores have their own credit cards these days).

This way people can't have their whole damn family line up to buy a ton of consoles at once. Though yes, in theory they could spread out to buy from different stores it would limit the number they could actually get a hold of at once, and since it's spread out over multiple stores you don't rob as many people of their ability to get a console too.

If sony can force retailers to only sell online, then they can force them to only sell in store with restrictions as well.

To prevent lines and crowds in Covid, you can have customers each purchase a Ticket a day or two before launch (as long as supplies last) with a time on it. Return at your appointment time with your ticket, pick up your console. this would also hurt scalpers because the tickets would be spread out to different people and make it harder to just spam buy.

Scalpers exist because it is too easy for them to run bots or otherwise get a shitload of a product very quickly and easily. They are nothing but predators of opportunity. If you make it annoying, and a hassle to scalp, then you drastically reduce the number of scalpers because it wont be worth the time.

There were other more fair ways to handle this launch.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I think Sony produced and shipped as much PS5's as manufacture and the supply chain allowed.
Ok, well that's tough. I must admit I don't know what options there are for avoiding that if any. I suppose they could have waited longer or started production earlier though that's also not ideal. Though people are going to have to wait either way, that way you at least reduce the scalping.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

“It’s like I’m fondling the PlayStation’s nipples!”

Anyways though, I’m wondering if having the stand vertical is really optimal since it appears to be covering the vents...and why would they put cooling vents on the bottom in the first place?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kwak

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well what I would do is ship them directly to stores with stipulations of how they are supposed to be sold.

Limit one console purchase per-household, buyers must show ID's with valid address. Retail chains have ways to flag duplicate addresses as they use this system to prevent credit card fraud so it isn't a big ask. (most of these chain stores have their own credit cards these days).

This way people can't have their whole damn family line up to buy a ton of consoles at once. Though yes, in theory they could spread out to buy from different stores it would limit the number they could actually get a hold of at once, and since it's spread out over multiple stores you don't rob as many people of their ability to get a console too.

If sony can force retailers to only sell online, then they can force them to only sell in store with restrictions as well.

To prevent lines and crowds in Covid, you can have customers each purchase a Ticket a day or two before launch (as long as supplies last) with a time on it. Return at your appointment time with your ticket, pick up your console. this would also hurt scalpers because the tickets would be spread out to different people and make it harder to just spam buy.

Scalpers exist because it is too easy for them to run bots or otherwise get a shitload of a product very quickly and easily. They are nothing but predators of opportunity. If you make it annoying, and a hassle to scalp, then you drastically reduce the number of scalpers because it wont be worth the time.

There were other more fair ways to handle this launch.
I feel like it's on the retailers far more than Sony or Microsoft. Producers just care about selling and shipping their products to said retailers. The retailers need to come up with a system to stop the bots. I actually just read some interesting stuff on retail bots and the shoe industry, where bots are just ridiculous (you have to buy a bot to be able to buy a pair of shoes basically) and retailers are trying to find ways to stop the bots. You would think there'd be some simple way to stop them but it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see why Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, etc can't work with those retailers and basically copy their best methods.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I feel like it's on the retailers far more than Sony or Microsoft. Producers just care about selling and shipping their products to said retailers. The retailers need to come up with a system to stop the bots. I actually just read some interesting stuff on retail bots and the shoe industry, where bots are just ridiculous (you have to buy a bot to be able to buy a pair of shoes basically) and retailers are trying to find ways to stop the bots. You would think there'd be some simple way to stop them but it doesn't seem to be the case. I don't see why Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, etc can't work with those retailers and basically copy their best methods.
That's why the online only thing was stupid. They never should have let Sony demand that, and just sold the stock shipped in store. The problem is that nobody, not sony nor the retailers, are even acknowledging the problem. They got their money so why should they give a shit right?

Ultimately it is up to people to simply not buy off the scalpers in the first place....or second place?....in order to stop them. If they don't get any buyers then they wont scalp, it's a simple solution to the problem. But FOMO makes people fucking stupid.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Also it’s kinda ridiculous the DualSense will not work on a PS4 when it will have native support on PC and even mobile devices.

I got one today so I’ll probably switch back and forth between using it on PC and PS3.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Also it’s kinda ridiculous the DualSense will not work on a PS4 when it will have native support on PC and even mobile devices.

I got one today so I’ll probably switch back and forth between using it on PC and PS3.
You got one!? Oh fuck you man where?!

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That's why the online only thing was stupid. They never should have let Sony demand that, and just sold the stock shipped in store. The problem is that nobody, not sony nor the retailers, are even acknowledging the problem. They got their money so why should they give a shit right?

Ultimately it is up to people to simply not buy off the scalpers in the first place....or second place?....in order to stop them. If they don't get any buyers then they wont scalp, it's a simple solution to the problem. But FOMO makes people fucking stupid.
It's definitely more in the retailers interest since lowered trust in a retailer leads to customers buying from other retailers.

I also read that there are counter bots as well lowering a seller's rating or putting in fake bids for $60,000 - $80,000 for stuff like PS5s and the RTX video cards.

The PS5 controllers natively work on PS3? I know it depends on the game if it supports a PS4 controller on PS3. But if PS5 controllers work on PS3 natively, I'm so buying one for the PS3 because you can't buy DualShock3s anymore and the 3rd-party ones just aren't the same.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's definitely more in the retailers interest since lowered trust in a retailer leads to customers buying from other retailers.

I also read that there are counter bots as well lowering a seller's rating or putting in fake bids for $60,000 - $80,000 for stuff like PS5s and the RTX video cards.

The PS5 controllers natively work on PS3? I know it depends on the game if it supports a PS4 controller on PS3. But if PS5 controllers work on PS3 natively, I'm so buying one for the PS3 because you can't buy DualShock3s anymore and the 3rd-party ones just aren't the same.
Last I checked Amazon still had them available? But yeah I’m geeked to try the DualSense on PS3 since there’s still a lot of games I play on it, and the DS3 just feels tragic next to even the DS4 now.

You got one!? Oh fuck you man where?!

Relaaax it’s *just* the controller lol. Picked one up at lunch from a local Meijer store, which mentioned they won’t have actual consoles til after Thanksgiving.

But still, the controller’s the most interesting part to me even if the haptics and adaptive triggers aren’t supported yet (if ever?) on other platforms.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh I misunderstood. Yeah my local best buy has like 30 controllers on the shelf. Lots of games too. Something about the console supply is just fucked, for obvious reasons.
Makes me wonder what the XSX launch was like since it’s been out a couple days longer, but I never even knew.

Anyways a coworker of mine’s kid managed to get one yesterday so he was rubbing it in a bit to a few of us. He didn’t play it yet but said there were about a half hour’s worth of updates out of the box. Half that was for the controller itself.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Makes me wonder what the XSX launch was like since it’s been out a couple days longer, but I never even knew.

Anyways a coworker of mine’s kid managed to get one yesterday so he was rubbing it in a bit to a few of us. He didn’t play it yet but said there were about a half hour’s worth of updates out of the box. Half that was for the controller itself.
As far as i can tell Xbox was fine. If you wanted one you could get one.

Even on Ebay the prices aren't as high as for the PS5. I dunno if that's because less people care, or if there were just more available.