Playstation 5 Review - THE next gen.....controller.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So the fancy rumble sounds like what the Switch already has (though potentially better, I haven't felt a PS5 yet by any means), so I googled this thing and found they've also put gyro controls in, so that's fantastic. They found the Nintendo tricks they could improve their games with and used them. I was thinking maybe I'd grab a new playstation or xbox down the line, and this thread might have inspired me to lean one way over the other.
This rumble is like the switch's rumble taken to a whole other level. Probably because the size of the controller lets them have more control over the rumble itself. But the directional rumble is much more elaborate than what the switch can do.

How does the dpad feel in comparison to a ps4 pad's? I'm not too worried about any controller but I need a solid dpad for fighting games and it's always a bit of a transitional period when you break in a new pad. The ps4 pad was prolly the softest and easiest to break in though so I wonder if they kept it similar.
The d-pad feels really nice. However i dont think it is better then the xbox elite controller's dpad or an actual fighting game pad. So if you really want a top notch dpad for fighting games on ps5 you'll probably want a 3rd party fighting pad or stick when they are made.

But it is still a great controller for everything else.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I don't play fighting games but it's definitely the most comfortable and ergonomic pad I've ever used. It really is a product of iteration and improvement.
The d-pad feels really nice. However i dont think it is better then the xbox elite controller's dpad or an actual fighting game pad. So if you really want a top notch dpad for fighting games on ps5 you'll probably want a 3rd party fighting pad or stick when they are made.

But it is still a great controller for everything else.

I do just fine with the default ps4 pad so if it's like that I'm gonna be alright most likely. Fighters are about what you're used to more than anything, some people play on arcade sticks, some on pads, some on keyboards, some on a controller but they use the analogue and not the dpad, sick freaks. Anyhow, good stuff haha. Looking forward to whenever I end up actually picking up a ps5 even more now.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I just use the PS5 SSD for PS5 games and an external 2TB HDD for PS4 games. Hopefully there will be an update soon that will include external SSD support. But not really a problem now as I have only one PS5 game. xD Maybe I'll transfer my most favorite PS4 games to the SSD for faster loads.
It will still look nice but obviously not as nice as 4K/OLED, let alone 8K. I'd say 4K is really minimum standard now.
Whenever I get one I’ll probably pair it with one of these -

Still running my 3020 and just recently replaced the bulb. Figured once that’s used up they’ll have a Slim model PS5 out.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Terrific video, thanks for sharing!

I intend to get a Xbox by next spring but PS5 is on my radar. So many good things are being reported about it. Particularly: that controller is a game changer.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I'm hoping that this is eventually going to be what PSVR is working on. A new headset would be great. But the functionality that these controllers are showing off combined with the new supposed patents of the PS move 2?

That would be a game changer.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'm hoping that this is eventually going to be what PSVR is working on. A new headset would be great. But the functionality that these controllers are showing off combined with the new supposed patents of the PS move 2?

I would want to go to there!!!!

Reactions: ObsidianJones

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

That thing looks incredibly awkward to use. Is one thumb supposed to access all those buttons, while also holding it? I also don’t want to wear some xenomorphic looking thing on my head.

Wake me when VR is a simple node that you just stick to your temple and you’re there, hands-free. Or better yet, one of those memory goop beds from the Matrix.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im curious to see how I personally feel about the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

For me, controller rumble has always been a gimmick. At some point during the 360 generation, I switched off vibration, and I didn't miss it. Now, controller rumble feels weird, and I hate it.

But, this is supposed to be one of the best new features of the PS5, and I have heard that the haptic feedback in this controller is exceptional, and is being hailed as one of the most next-gen feeling features of the PS5 from pretty much all of the reviewers that I trust. So im definitely eager to give it a shot.

On a similar note though, im curious to see how much these features are used in 3rd party games. I hear the new CoD has adaptive trigger support, but I will definitely be interested to see if this is adopted by more devs. Also curious to see if these features make their way to PC, when using the PS5 controller.

The Dualsense is still a crappy pretentious name, though.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
On a similar note though, im curious to see how much these features are used in 3rd party games. I hear the new CoD has adaptive trigger support, but I will definitely be interested to see if this is adopted by more devs. Also curious to see if these features make their way to PC, when using the PS5 controller.
This first wave of third party titles are definitely not using the controller to it's full potential, but that's kind of expected since they are generational bridge games. Like developed for Ps4/xbone and merely ported to the SeXbox and Ps5. Later titles will make much better use of it for sure.

As to your other point, yes the DuelSense controller is basically the only real next gen thing about these new consoles. Sure they are faster when it comes to load times (impressively fast) you don't actually play a loading screen so it really doesn't matter that much. The games run at 60 fps as well which is new for console people but nothing new in the overall gaming sense.

Which leaves us with a controller that does everything Nintendo promised the Switch's piece of shit controller would do, only Playstation actually delivers. And yeah rumble has been a gimmick since the N64, this time it really does feel different. The vibration is directional, and contextual in a way that they've never done before, and the dynamic resistance on the triggers is awesome. On paper it's no big deal, but when you get your hands on it and actually play games with it, it just adds a new level of feeling while playing. Now that i have a Duelsense, i don't wanna play on other controllers at all.

And when you consider that not only is this controller is amazing, but also that Microsoft didn't even try anything new whatsoever, just shows me how much Sony is actually trying to keep innovation and expanded technologies going in the game's industry. I mean think about just how little Microsoft has shown this generation, they didn't change the controller (and some people have said that the Series X controller actually feels worse than the Xbone ones), they've made no attempts to even dabble in VR, they have no showcase of any next gen titles whatsoever, no exclusives, and their one big offering is a fucking monthly subscription to play a library of old games that you likely don't give a shit about anymore.

Playstation's backwards compatability might only be for the Ps4, but at least all those games are still fairly relevant, and you don't have to sub to some bullshit to replay them if you have the discs because the PS5 just reads your Ps4 disc's with no problem. If you wanna go back, you can just play the game you already fucking bought. Crazy concept.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I’m sensing (no pun) other pad makers might be paying Sony royalties for borrowing the tech going forward if they don’t want to look bad; if not this gen then certainly by the next.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I’m sensing (no pun) other pad makers might be paying Sony royalties for borrowing the tech going forward if they don’t want to look bad; if not this gen then certainly by the next.
That might be the case. Maybe the next Xbox-elite controller will be all haptic and cool.....and $299.

Though sony will probably have to give out the tech to 3rd party makers, simply because they wouldn't want 3rd party controllers making their console look bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yep. I can see where he is coming from. History repeats itself as that was the same problem when PS2 first launched. Still something to keep in mind.​