Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Preview

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
I like the characters, but I hate the art style. Why is so goddamn dark and dreary? I love the stages of Smash Bros and MvC2 because they're colorful which allows for a lot of detail. Not to mention, it's hard to see things when it's so dark.

The

Jan 24, 2012
dragongit said:
Wow... it couldn't try to rip Super Smash Brother's any more if it tried. I've tried to devend Sony for a long while, but even I can't turn a blind eye to this without first going "WTF"
A SSBB type game with Sony characters is more or less what everyone wanted since SSBB came out, so I can see a lot of people liking this. As long as they do something that in the game that is truly something new, not copying it note for note, I'll be ok with it.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
It kinda sounds like an interesting concept. The AP charge thing reminds me a lot of the mechanic used to score points in the brawler Shrek Super Slam, essentially a poor man's SSB with Shrek characters, and I did enjoy that somewhat.

But this looks too much like SSB for me to get too interested in it, tbh. I'm sure it'll be worth a look-see, but I can't see this as a title that I'd buy a PS3 over.

... Especially since I have a Wii and Brawl right beside me.

1080bitgamer

Telegram Dictator
Apr 11, 2010
If they just go completely crazy with it, put in as many characters as they can, I'll pick it up

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So, they're even mimicking SSB's tradition of slowly releasing the cast list, stages, modes, all that? And why are three of the four visible stages from God of War? I get that he's the most prominently violent character, practically designed to be in a game like this at some point, but come on, at least tease us with something other than a game where Kratos fights everyone else.

If the Journey pilgrim isn't in it to do some amazingly beautiful attacks with it's scarf, an opportunity will have been missed.

Apr 5, 2012
Draconalis said:
Never really realized how shitty the PS roster was till now...
I am a Sony fan and I just had this thought too...

They are making this game way too late. Before some of their best IPs died off or went muti-platform.

Catchphra - "full house" not for this game...

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
Since Smash Brothers doesn't really have any competition, I think this is legitimate.

Smash Brothers is far away enough from traditional fighters and action games that it's pretty much its own genre. What's wrong with Sony making their own version? The tweaks they've made are pretty much equivalent to what differentiates a lot of shooters.

On a different note, what the heck is with that roster? Where are Jak, Daxter, Ratchet, Clank, Sly's buddies, Crash, Nathan Drake, Cole McGrath, the guy from Resistance 1 & 2 who looks like Cole McGrath? And why are so many of these suggestions from Naughty Dog? See if you can get some third party stuff in there. Get Spyro, Rayman, Altair, Ezio, hell, just shove anyone you can license for a semi-reasonable price in there. It's free advertising for their companies, it advertises your platform as where those games "belong", and it's "just Nintendo's characters" vs anyone who isn't Microsoft or Nintendo exclusive, making your game more appealing.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
Amnestic said:
This one guy said:
Its Radec not radek.
It's "throwaway villain", not "Radec". /snark

I mean, hell, I get it. I do. He's rocking the Space Nazi Stormtrooper [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j00ltsBBW0Y/Ty1rxDCrGMI/AAAAAAAAATo/8C_jpKaV_zU/s1600/iratekillzone2.jpg] look something fierce, but really? They went with him? Why not Luger? [http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Marshal_Luger] She was in at least two games, even if one was a forgettable spinoff.

I fully expect Nathan Drake to show up in this game, but don't you think he would've made a far superior character to tease players with and get them hyped up?

I suppose it kinda sucks for Sony really. For so long, MGS was a mainstay of the Playstation, then we had MGS2+3 on the PS2, and MGS4 was a huge deal for the PS3. And what happens?

Smash Bros. Brawl nabs Solid Snake out from under them.
Just to be clear, they are going to expand the roster, yes? Cause as of right now it is the smallest thing ever.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
All these nintendo fanboys are making me laugh, oh jeez, my sides, please no more, I beg you..hahahhahaha.....

Smash Bros is fun and all, but whats bad about MORE smash bros? You're acting like this is a bad thing. "Shameless rip off!!" I'm sorry but nintendo doesn't own the rights to coop 2d brawlers. And if copying them is really such a problem, the fps genre wouldn't exist. You honestly think those are the only characters? Those are the only ones REVEALED. Nobody is that stupid to honestly believe they would release 6 characters on a full priced game.

"the roster sucks!!" I guess if the ONLY games you enjoy are nintendo games I can see why you would be upset, but honestly, Mario and friends are getting a bit boring. And you talk about them scraping for characters? Ice Climbers and Pit? Mr.Game and Watch? The only reason people still know about those are Smash Brothers.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
BrotherRool said:
For the people calling out Smash Brothers clone, this AP thing is a big deal, it almost completely changes the idea of Smash Brothers and I think it's less a clone, just in the way we called Saints Row games GTA clones and League Of Legends DOTA clones.
I dunno, to me it sounds like "Just wait for strategic Final Smash" stuff or whatever. One mechanic these days doesn't make something less of a clone, and I really can't imagine this mechanic really changing things up all that much.
That being said, platform brawler is pretty much a genre on its own at this point, so calls of it being a clone are not really worth worrying about in the first place.

Still, I don't get this choice of characters to announce. This doesn't feel like a taste of an incredible experience, it feels like barrel-scraping. The roster is getting better, but sheesh, would it have killed them to give us a more substantial first bite?

Hell, between the announced characters and the chance to have Simon Belmont fight Optimus Prime and Solid Snake along with the not-yugi kid from Beyblade (for the "why are you here" WTF lolz) I was more interested in another, obscure platform brawler than how I was when looking at the current roster for this game.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
beefpelican said:
Just to be clear, they are going to expand the roster, yes? Cause as of right now it is the smallest thing ever.
Yes. My point was less about the roster size and more of a comparison of the people they've got on it.

Don Savik said:
"the roster sucks!!" I guess if the ONLY games you enjoy are nintendo games I can see why you would be upset, but honestly, Mario and friends are getting a bit boring. And you talk about them scraping for characters? Ice Climbers and Pit? Mr.Game and Watch? The only reason people still know about those are Smash Brothers.
While true, those weren't in the first game. This is my supposition, but I'm guessing Sony wants to turn this into a series of games rather than a one-off. This is the flagship title, so to speak. I've already shown you the roster from SSB.

This expands the 12 to 25, just over doubling the roster. Some were similar (LinkDoctor Mario) but they still expanded. The inclusion of Marth and Roy was arguably a primary driving force behind moving more of the Fire Emblem series out of Japan, so in that respect it was excellent marketing.

My point being, Sony need to have this game be brilliant. They need to dazzle. People have already likely played (or at least heard of) the SSB series. This is a game for showing off their best, core characters, which hopefully we'll see more of in future previews. As it stands now? It's...kinda disappointing what they're showing. Will keep an eye on it, but the point I wanted people to take away from my posts is not "this sucks" but rather "They need to do better."

I'm hoping it succeeds. Really, I do. I have my PS3 sat beside me. I hope even more that Microsoft follows suit and eventually we get a Microsoft vs. Sony vs. Nintendo huge crossover game with an enormous roster which we can play on whatever console we wish.

Edit: And since there appears to be a 4th SSB game on the way, Sony's gonna have competition.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Erana said:
BrotherRool said:
For the people calling out Smash Brothers clone, this AP thing is a big deal, it almost completely changes the idea of Smash Brothers and I think it's less a clone, just in the way we called Saints Row games GTA clones and League Of Legends DOTA clones.
I dunno, to me it sounds like "Just wait for strategic Final Smash" stuff or whatever. One mechanic these days doesn't make something less of a clone, and I really can't imagine this mechanic really changing things up all that much.
That being said, platform brawler is pretty much a genre on its own at this point, so calls of it being a clone are not really worth worrying about in the first place.

Still, I don't get this choice of characters to announce. This doesn't feel like a taste of an incredible experience, it feels like barrel-scraping. The roster is getting better, but sheesh, would it have killed them to give us a more substantial first bite?

Hell, between the announced characters and the chance to have Simon Belmont fight Optimus Prime and Solid Snake along with the not-yugi kid from Beyblade (for the "why are you here" WTF lolz) I was more interested in another, obscure platform brawler than how I was when looking at the current roster for this game.
Maybe it's been too long since I've played a Super Smash brothers, tbf it's probably roughly 8-10 years, I thought ringing out or the Pokeballs was almost the main way of defeat. If you can't do that then it'd change the whole game strategy. Then again the OP was talking about sniping people so I guess there must have been some sort of heath system.

I still feel that I a lot of the roster was a good reveal, there mistake was to choose Pappa and the Killzone dude and they should have stressed that there was more to come, maybe give us a date when they reveal the next characters, or tell us how many there are going to be. Because whilst it's a bit disappointing now the characters they've chosen are fairly well known and loved and give good hints to the overall style and it's more important for us to get excited about the next announcement than this one, because it's closer.

Just because they didn't stress the wait and see they've got some negative too which they wouldn't have wanted

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Erana said:
BrotherRool said:

Maybe it's been too long since I've played a Super Smash brothers, tbf it's probably roughly 8-10 years, I thought ringing out or the Pokeballs was almost the main way of defeat. If you can't do that then it'd change the whole game strategy. Then again the OP was talking about sniping people so I guess there must have been some sort of heath system.

I still feel that I a lot of the roster was a good reveal, there mistake was to choose Pappa and the Killzone dude and they should have stressed that there was more to come, maybe give us a date when they reveal the next characters, or tell us how many there are going to be. Because whilst it's a bit disappointing now the characters they've chosen are fairly well known and loved and give good hints to the overall style and it's more important for us to get excited about the next announcement than this one, because it's closer.

Just because they didn't stress the wait and see they've got some negative too which they wouldn't have wanted
I take it that with your calling Parappa "Pappa," you didn't grow up with him. I think his inclusion is great- hits the mark with peoples' nostalgia, gives the devs a lot to work with, and brings a level of absurdity that I feel is really needed for crazy crossover games like this that Sackboy and Fat Princess weren't providing on their own. Not to mention his bringing in a different art style and fun music. I bet using Parappa songs in this game will be something so terribly catchy, its like when they used the Donkey Kong 64 song in Smash Bros: you can't tell me that that wasn't a total guilty pleasure.

(Keep in mind when this was made)

Methe

Nov 8, 2011
Don Savik said:
All these nintendo fanboys are making me laugh, oh jeez, my sides, please no more, I beg you..hahahhahaha.....
I've never really understood the idea of calling people "fanboys" - is it anyone who disagrees with your particular product choice or point of view? Judging by the fact that apparently means everyone who had a negative reaction to this is one, that's what it implies!

Smash Bros is fun and all, but whats bad about MORE smash bros? You're acting like this is a bad thing. "Shameless rip off!!" I'm sorry but nintendo doesn't own the rights to coop 2d brawlers. And if copying them is really such a problem, the fps genre wouldn't exist. You honestly think those are the only characters? Those are the only ones REVEALED. Nobody is that stupid to honestly believe they would release 6 characters on a full priced game.
Surely the idea of copying is to bring something new to the table - allowing the genre to evolve? We haven't seen much to indicate that from the information available so far. I don't think it can be denied that the similarities to SSB are striking, and I can understand why people would be apprehensive about this game just being an inferior SSB clone.

Personally I'm hoping that this game is good, as competition is always a positive thing, but I'd be lying if I said that I could get at all excited about this release on the information given out so far. It looks okay and nothing more.

No, seriously, the roster sucks - although it looks like they've made good fighting game characters from it. The Playstation has had some great iconic characters (particularly from the PS1 era) which are noticeably absent here - where the hell is Spyro for instance? Where's Crash? I'm sure there's more characters to come, but for first screenshots you show your second best characters - wow the audience but leave the very best as a surprise. I bloody well hope they've just fluffed the marketing and that this isn't near the top of the barrel.

Incidentally, I don't think that your points about SSB characters hold at all. Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B. are like joke unlockable characters - like Panda in Tekken 3. Pit had a smallish but loyal nostalgic fanbase and the creator of SSB went on to work on the new Kid Icarus game immediately after Brawl suggesting that, like the Fire Emblem characters, Pit was partially a marketing ploy.

Ice Climbers were an odd inclusion but given there were far more obvious inclusions in Brawl, it suggests they wanted an unusual gameplay mechanic to mix things up, rather than that they were actually scraping the bottom of the barrel!

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
I guess it's a decent idea... but the characters aren't really all that powerful. They don't seem to fun to use. Also, I don't see spyro on here. That's a problem. Spyro is a boss.

somethingprofound

Apr 16, 2009
But if they splurged their load with all the top tier name brand characters being revealed straight away wouldn't that ruin the joy of discovering that they've included them?

Maybe the whole point of what's revealed so far is setting expectation phasers to 'disappointment/unimpressed' to knock people out of the water when more details are revealed?(In a kind of round up all the nay sayers and take 'em out in one tactic)