Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Preview

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
I dunno. I love the fun brawler genre but no game so far has scratched that particular itch since the SSB series (then again, I only know viewtiful joe SSB and some digimon brawler).

And frankly, I understand the doubts people have because so far everything SCREAMS "bad SSB clone"

Still, given the benefit of doubt that this might be a fun and well-designed game, I can't see it do very well. Say what you want about Nintendo and their bad habit of abusing their IPs but thanks to that, Smash Bros. had a roster of colourful characters that attracted people. As Yathzee put it "Watching Mario beat the stupid out of Princess Peach while the audience screams for blood is oddly satisfying".

Why bother trying to squeeze something out of the nostalgia dollar if people don't give a shit about these characters in the first place? Why not design a great brawler from ground up with creative and fun characters? (don't bother answering, these questions are rhethorical and the cynic in me knows the answer)

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Zero Serenity said:
A whole six characters? Even the original Smash Bros had 12. I think we're too soon to call this game a good idea.
Full roster is being gradually revealed, next one is revealed in 30 days.
http://playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com/

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Definitely having trouble getting interested in this. I'm not a big Play Station fan. With Nintendo's Super Smash Bros., I actually know and like almost 100% of the roster. Here, I only see Kratos as appealing.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
I have no idea who half of these people are.

You can't really say that Nintendo have much originality left in them when they drag out the same old characters over and over again.

Nintendo Game Design Board Exec1; We need to come up with a new game...any ideas?
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec2; How about Legend of Zelda 93?
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec1; Nah, we released 8 Zelda games last year.
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec2; What about Super Mario Ultimate Sunshine World 17?
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec1; Good idea, but we released a Mario game last week.
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec2; I know! How about another Kirby game?
Nintendo Game Design Board Exec1; That's an amazingly original idea! Lets do it!

Anyway, a bonus of Nintendo's inability to create new intellectual property and insistence on reusing the same characters 9000 times they managed to make their characters very well known.
Everyone knows Pikachu. Everyone knows Mario. Even people who have never played a Mario game in their life still knows him.

The opposite can be said for Sony. Who the hell is Fat Princess?