PlayStation Now May Exclude PS1/PS2 Games, PS4 To Get Emulators

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
The big question is: if they DO emulate older titles, will they also be region free? If Sony announces this, no joke, I will pack up my PS2 and JPS2 into storage next to my original grey playstion, walk into town and buy a PS4 the very next day.

I was planning on getting one at the end of the year/next years January's sales anyway, but being able to clear up the space beneath my tv is a big draw.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
If they make my PS1 and PS2 library compatible with the PS4 then I'll go buy one as soon as it happens.

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
So your saying they might implement the same thing I've been doing on my PC for the past couple years. Its amazing what running at triple or quadruple native ps2 resolution with some smoothing will do to an older game. After I discovered emulation my PS2 has been permanently gathering dust.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I have like five PS2 games but this still brings a smile to my face. I feel like Sony is really GETTING it.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
PS2 disc based emulator. Yes please, Sony if you let me have this and it works at least as good as my PS2 did, I won't be able to throw money at you fast enough. The PS2 is my favorite generation and my giant backlog of yet unplayed games is screaming for it.

Ps1 emulation is icing on the cake.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Honestly I'm not surprised, heck I expected it would happen since the PS1 and 2 could already be emulated on PC and PS3 (I have a launch PS3 which is backwards compatible via emulation). Seems like Sony simply put it into the after launch pile, possibly due to the need to get it out last year due to the XBO. Can't blame them as emulation can be a lot of work and they have to get it right first go. I hope this rumor turns out to be true, my PS4 is good but lacks enough games to play (and I have all launch games on it that I'm interested in, no BF4/CoD though), so being able to use my large stack of PS1/2 games that still make my PS3 collection look small would be a good boost to the system.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
If this is disc-based and region free then it will definitely get me, and a whole lot of other people, to buy a PS4 in a heart beat. Thing is, Nintendo can do the same thing since the only thing stopping the Wii U from playing GameCube games is that the OS blocks them because there is no place to plug in a GCN controller.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
If this is true, they better not retract the disk-based portion. I'd buy Rogue Galaxy online just to play it, but I'm not spending more money on games I've owned since 2007 to play GoW or FFXII. I'd like to put my PS2 in helium/argon storage, but I'm not giving Sony more money so I don't have to dig through my closet to bust out Vice City again, HD upscaling be damned.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
This made me immediately warm up to the idea of buying a PS4. Then I remembered I have a first generation PS3 now so it really doesn't matter.

If this turns out to be true then I guess it can go on the list of pro's for buying a PS4, but that list is still pretty baron at the moment.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Digimon World 1 or im out.

Jokes aside, i hope this is true, would love to play some older titles on the PS4

Galen Marek

Dec 5, 2011
So, yet again Sony makes many promises and then several months later after they "win" proceed go back on their world.

Sony you sly devil you, the masses followed your devilish ploy yet again without realizing the inevitable pattern.

Reyold

Jun 18, 2012
oh man, if this turns out to be true, I'm going to be VERY happy. There a bunch of PS2 games I've been wanting to play, but since my PS3 isn't backwards compatible, this would be a great incentive to buy a PS4.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
If this is true and Sony pulls it off and I can play Suikoden II again, the .Hack series, and countless other games, then I will get a PS4 right away. The only thing that is stopping me from getting the system is a lack of games, but if I can go in with a library already and just wait for games to come out, I will be sold. I hope this is true.

N3squ1ck

Mar 7, 2012
BrotherRool said:
I would be so freaking hyped for this if they worked with discs too. It might actually make me buy a PS4 earlier instead of after year or so.

There are just still so many good PS2 games, and I already own a lot of them but my PS2 is basically broken. It would be worth getting a PS4 just for access to some of those titles
Yes this, my PS2 also works half-heartetly (the controller port is broken, so the thing constantly tells me to plug the controller back in)

Sony, I know you are reading this. If you do this, I will get a PS4 ASAP

(I know that I could just get a used ps2, but what do if that thing dies, also I want a PS4, just all the bullshit around the new generation keeps me from getting one, but the posibility of a new console with backwards compatibility to games like God Hand, Black and Burnout 3 sounds really nice)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Therumancer said:
Well, the thing is that Sony already claimed that the problems are hardware related as opposed to software related and that they would allegedly have to include the hardware from all their other machines within the new system in order to make this work. Many defenses of the lack of backwards compatibility have invoked this alleged "fact".

I also look back at things like the dear, departed "Bleem" where they made adaptors that could allow you to play games from one company on a system owned by another (and got slammed hard for it back in the day). Something that also makes me think that this is probably going to be hardware related, either requiring a new system, or purchasing an adaptor to plug into your existing system.

Time will tell of course, it just seems like odd news given everything else that was said on the subject.
Hardware issues are specifically PS3's crazy multi-core CELL processor thing. Trying to run a PS3-coded game on a PS4 (or some normalized PC with equal specs) would be equivalent to trying to plug an 8 pronged-cord into a standard outlet. PS1 and PS2 comparatively are single-pronged in this metaphor, and can be plugged in, this just wouldn't use the other half of the outlet.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Wait...so you're telling me I could be rocking Jet Moto from my old disc? I love you, Sony.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I will buy a PS4 just for this. Would absolutely love to have an emulator, plus the greatness of PS4.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I understand about not having PS3 backward compatibility but never did on why it didn't have BC for PS1 and PS2.

I hope it happens; I would buy PS4 ahead of schedule.