PlayStation Now May Exclude PS1/PS2 Games, PS4 To Get Emulators

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Disc based you say?

I had to replace the lens unit in my PS2 but meh I have kidna switched to PCSX2 its not perfect but damn just finished up Dragon Quest 8 and working on wildarms 3 now.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The ability to play Hogs of War plus my PS2 games on a PS4?

Point me to a shop and I'll go buy a PS4 Sony!

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
Yeah if they do this I'd be very tempted to buy a PS4. The only thing is could I justify the space in the living room since it would seem I'd still have to keep the PS3. I'll wait for more info but right now my mood is set to cautiously optimistic.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Emulators are software, so they should be able to add it via update. Whether you'd have to pay for it or not, though...

I'm surprised a PS1 emulator wasn't already included, honestly. This means that the PS4 is currently the only Playstation that can't play PS1 games.

Still, if this is true and it includes discs, then that means that the PS4 is gonna be compatible with the whole PS2 library; that's a hell of an advantage. I'm still discovering brilliant games for that system to this day.
The original fat PS3's also had emulation through firmware updates, at least they did in Europe. And not all games responded all that well to it. Some ran fine, but others were shit, with frame rates getting cut in half and screens getting smushed. This apparently had to do with NTSC vs. PAL or something.

So if they're trying something like that again, they'd best include emulation for both NTSC and PAL.

Anyway, sounds great, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
native HD upscaling
Let me jut answer that while eating this orange apple banana.
this phrase makes no sense.

TitusGroan said:
What about if you still own disc copies of the games? If its an emulator, it should be able to read discs just fine, after all.
Does pS4 read CDs natively? because its very likely they decided to cut the costs with their BR drive and didnt include CD laser in it (like many new drives do now!). Its much cheaper but makes machine incapable of reading CDs. at all. so it may be a hardware limitation. or does it read CDs actually? i know Xbox dropped that support, bu it may have been software version too (doubtful)

Therumancer said:
Sounds good, but at the same time it makes me wonder if this means all that money dished out for a PS-4 is wasted, because I'm going to want to ditch the new console I just obtained for one with an included emulator... or if the emulator is going to be some kind of attachment that can be added to an existing PS-4 system.

Needless to say I'm going to be rather upset if I bought a PS-4 believing the announcement that it was not going to be backwards compatible, only to get some Sony trollface as they change their mind and roll out a new one that does what the one I just bought arguably should have to begin with.
considering that its using PC architecture and there are PS1 and PS2 emulators for PC its likely a software one and you dont need to ditch anything.
Now PS3 backward compactability.... that would be a miracle.

Therumancer said:
Well, the thing is that Sony already claimed that the problems are hardware related as opposed to software related and that they would allegedly have to include the hardware from all their other machines within the new system in order to make this work. Many defenses of the lack of backwards compatibility have invoked this alleged "fact".
This was mostly the discussions about PS3 games compactability, and in this case the "Fact" is true since PS3 uses very different architecture and its games simply wouldn't run on standard x86

mixadj said:
So your saying they might implement the same thing I've been doing on my PC for the past couple years. Its amazing what running at triple or quadruple native ps2 resolution with some smoothing will do to an older game. After I discovered emulation my PS2 has been permanently gathering dust.
you probably shouldnt say it here. emulators are technically illegal and you may end up with a warning.

Galen Marek said:
So, yet again Sony makes many promises and then several months later after they "win" proceed go back on their world.

Sony you sly devil you, the masses followed your devilish ploy yet again without realizing the inevitable pattern.
wait what? what promises they broke with announcing that you can emulate PS1/2 games on standard PC hardware?

Casual Shinji said:
The original fat PS3's also had emulation through firmware updates, at least they did in Europe. And not all games responded all that well to it. Some ran fine, but others were shit, with frame rates getting cut in half and screens getting smushed. This apparently had to do with NTSC vs. PAL or something.

So if they're trying something like that again, they'd best include emulation for both NTSC and PAL.

Anyway, sounds great, but I'll believe it when I see it.
No, the PS3s had hardware chip that allowed them to play older games. it wasnt a software emulator, merely software that started using the chip. later versions did away with the chip (and enormous PS3 price tag) and didnt have such ability anymore.
the NTSC and PAL problem shoudl be minimal nowadays as TVs are stnadartized and can do both and even switch on demand. the console needs to tell the TV what its inputting but it already does with regular PS4 use anyway.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's a fantastic idea. I've got over 100 games for the PS2. I'd buy a PS4 in a heartbeat if they made that emulator to work with discs.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
If you can disable the HD svaling, something like this might encourage me to buy a ps4, i really need a new replacement for my ps2... Atleast if i can ude my discs. Might be the first positive thing i've heard about the new consoles, i'm still struggling to see why i should waste money on something that's more expensive than my ps3 and yet, does less. But it might be useful for replacing my old dying ps2 and in the long run something worthwhile will be released, though it might take a couple of years.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
They have NO reasons to keep a PS2/PS1 emulator from running discs on PS4.

Apparently, some people have already created emulators that can run PS2/PS1 disks on PC's, and the architecture isn't supposed to be so wildly different between PS4 and PC.

I can understand withholding/inability to run PS3 games, but PS2 and PS1? If a few lone code-monkeys can do it, why not a giant corporation?

Mr Dizazta

Mar 23, 2011
If this rumor turns out to be true and it is disc based then I can finally start buying PS1 and PS2 games for my PS4 and not need a older PS2. Oh God, please let this rumor be true. If Sony does this, I will forever be a Sony fanboy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Therumancer said:
Sounds good, but at the same time it makes me wonder if this means all that money dished out for a PS-4 is wasted, because I'm going to want to ditch the new console I just obtained for one with an included emulator... or if the emulator is going to be some kind of attachment that can be added to an existing PS-4 system.

Needless to say I'm going to be rather upset if I bought a PS-4 believing the announcement that it was not going to be backwards compatible, only to get some Sony trollface as they change their mind and roll out a new one that does what the one I just bought arguably should have to begin with.
They'd be crazy not to add it in a software update.

Then again, it IS Sony, so maybe they won't.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Mr Dizazta said:
If this rumor turns out to be true and it is disc based then I can finally start buying PS1 and PS2 games for my PS4 and not need a older PS2. Oh God, please let this rumor be true. If Sony does this, I will forever be a Sony fanboy.
If it's technically possible to do then common sense would suggest that it is true. Unless Sony is run by retards. It is a good way to make people buy the PS4 considering the fact that 155 million PS2 units and about 102 million PS1 units were sold worldwide. If only a fraction of those sales are people who are willing to purchase a PS4 in order to play their PS1 or PS2 games, this will be a great business move.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Why did they decide to do this for the PS4 and not the PS3?

You people need to remember the launch model of the PS3 was B/C with PS1 and PS2 games, then suddenly all subsequent models dropped support for PS2 discs and will now only play them when downloaded from the Store.

Just what the actual fuck?

Buster

Nov 4, 2012
Cid SilverWing said:
Why did they decide to do this for the PS4 and not the PS3?

You people need to remember the launch model of the PS3 was B/C with PS1 and PS2 games, then suddenly all subsequent models dropped support for PS2 discs and will now only play them when downloaded from the Store.

Just what the actual fuck?
The launch model of the PS3 actually had a PS2 unit inside it to run previous gen games, which caused the console's price to skyrocket at launch and subsequently caused it to flop hard. In later models they removed the PS2 unit to make the price more reasonable.

The PS4's architecture is very similar to that of a PC, so because there are PS1 and PS2 emulators for PCs it's only logical that the very same emulators will run on the PS4 with only minor alterations. I assume that it was not possible to achieve on the PS3 because of its cell processor, but obviously I have no technical or inside knowledge to back that claim up. Bear in mind however that even the later PS3 models were able to run ALL PS1 games and SOME PS2 (albeit some ran problematically, use the list below as a reference), so it's pretty clear they did make an effort on that front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_backward_compatible_PlayStation_2_and_PlayStation_games

Greyhawk

Sep 29, 2008
As I'm sure has already been said, if this actually comes to pass, I buy a PS4 in a heartbeat. The amount of money I've spent on upscaling equipment to get my rapidly aging PS2 to work decently on my HD set makes me cry a little inside (especially since the added input lag is atrocious).