PlayStation Store Drops the Dime On Dead Space 3 Price List

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I'm legitimately curious why so many people are saying "that's it. You've gone too far THIS time" when the original Dead Space 1 had almost the exact same type of DLC: you could buy more powerful suits and weapons that made playing the game easier, all for around the same price too.

Ultimately, I would also say that, as much as I don't like it myself, there is a difference between a company DEVELOPING a game and a company owning and PRODUCING the game and forcing them to add stuff.

And I just don't think it's right to say "I won't buy this game to show EA who's boss!" What'll happen instead is the good people making Dead Space 3 who have no choice because EA forced them to put in a feature will suffer the consequences while the same people making these decisions will just turn around and do it to another game you like instead.

Play the game. I won't even advocate buying it used. Buy it. Play it. If you run into a problem, don't buy the DLC. Then, and most importantly, write EA directly and tell them that you, as a customer, are displeased with how they've conducted their business. Complain to the Better Business Bureau if you think they're engaging in anti-consumer practices.

But the developers themselves have their hands tied. Many studios or developers have piped in saying that they had to put in the features their CEO overlords told them to, even if they fought against the idea or hated it. The creator of Twisted Metal loathes the online pass in his game; the folks who made Spec Ops: The Line NEVER wanted multiplayer; and even the Dead Space guys admit that they were forced to put multiplayer into DS2 knowing barely anyone would be interested in it. Many great games are great in SPITE of stupid publisher demands.

So you can support the people making the game and still complain directly to the REAL people in charge of these bad decisions.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Ugh, EA...

Man I'm really glad I was never a fan of this series.

All I can think of right now is the most recent episode of Jimquisition... and it infuriates me to see EA pulling this shit. I shudder at the thought of what they're going to do with Dragon Age 3.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Well, i'll at least give them credit for not making those prices extortionately high, but still, I feel bad for fans of the franchise that don't like the way it's being turned into a guinea pig for EA to see if all these types of transactions will work with a single player game.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Tanis said:
Online pass?

Welp, there's another game I'm NOT going to by...
Until it hits around 20USD.
:p
are you surpised?...honestly?

online pass if for co-op campagn...take that as you will

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
So basically to actually get the game you need to pay $100, $60 to buy it, and another $40 in order to get all of the stuff they cut out of it to sell seperatly. Then it's $1 a pop to buy resources so you don't have to grind in your survival horror game....

Ummm... no, sorry, just no. Especially seeing as this is $40 in just day #1 DLC, god forbid what they have planned down the road if they are launching it with a blitz like that.

If anyone out there decides to buy it knowing this, I wish you luck, and hope it's worth what you put into it to you.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
In a recent blog post [http://www.deadspace.com/news/article/dev-blog-executive-producer-steve-papoutsis], Dead Space 3 Executive Producer Steve Papoutsis described the resource packs as a "convenience" for players looking for an immediate boost. "DS3 isn't designed to require Resource Packs, but they're an option that's available should you decide to use it," he wrote. "The choice is yours." The price list also reveals that EA is continuing its practice of requiring online passes for second-hand copies of the game.
I'm confused now. Is it just the resource packs that are an 'optional convenience'? I had thought someone from EA said earlier that you could get everything in the game without paying extra if they spent the time scavenging resources, but 'bot personalities' sounds like the kind of thing that would just be available rather than part of an upgrade system.

I think an important question with this kind of dlc is whether they balanced the game with these packs or without them.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Like it was said in another thread, it would be too tempting to patch the game to balance against those who do not pay for the resources.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
this makes me very happy that I'm both not a fan of the series and generally have no reason to support EA, pay to win crap like this pisses me off.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Tanis said:
Online pass?

Welp, there's another game I'm NOT going to by...
Until it hits around 20USD.
:p
Yep, pretty much summarizes the thread. And my thoughts.

And if I find it even cheaper preowned, then I'll also get it. I'm not really into multiplayer anyway.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Link XL1 said:
i think Jim on his weekly video has said everything there is to say about this already. so im just going to add: fuck off EA, because of this im done with dead space
Yep, JIMs videos are timely as always and his veiw of gaming is very clear cut. he even admited that mobile gaming is going down the toilet and that makes me officialyl ove the man.

Too bad EA is not getting anything from me as i stopped buying dead space since dead space 1.
so make all the prices you want, im nto going to give you anything.
the sad thing is, people are still going to buy this, and that makes precedence for gaming industry to go this way.
Besides, in single player game you WILL mod it so you wont need the shop anyway.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
So glad I preordered the LE... now I get to save 15 bucks on the online pass and the "Witness the Truth" pack as well :D

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Trishbot said:
I'm legitimately curious why so many people are saying "that's it. You've gone too far THIS time" when the original Dead Space 1 had almost the exact same type of DLC: you could buy more powerful suits and weapons that made playing the game easier, all for around the same price too.

Ultimately, I would also say that, as much as I don't like it myself, there is a difference between a company DEVELOPING a game and a company owning and PRODUCING the game and forcing them to add stuff.

And I just don't think it's right to say "I won't buy this game to show EA who's boss!" What'll happen instead is the good people making Dead Space 3 who have no choice because EA forced them to put in a feature will suffer the consequences while the same people making these decisions will just turn around and do it to another game you like instead.

Play the game. I won't even advocate buying it used. Buy it. Play it. If you run into a problem, don't buy the DLC. Then, and most importantly, write EA directly and tell them that you, as a customer, are displeased with how they've conducted their business. Complain to the Better Business Bureau if you think they're engaging in anti-consumer practices.

But the developers themselves have their hands tied. Many studios or developers have piped in saying that they had to put in the features their CEO overlords told them to, even if they fought against the idea or hated it. The creator of Twisted Metal loathes the online pass in his game; the folks who made Spec Ops: The Line NEVER wanted multiplayer; and even the Dead Space guys admit that they were forced to put multiplayer into DS2 knowing barely anyone would be interested in it. Many great games are great in SPITE of stupid publisher demands.

So you can support the people making the game and still complain directly to the REAL people in charge of these bad decisions.
Pretty much this. My friend and I will both be buying the game on day one to play the campaign Co-op. Neither of us will be touching the DLC though. I dont feel the need to be offended by people being given the option of buying something that i'm not personally interested in.

Besides the last couple of Tales games had day 1 DLC available, and i'm not going to ever complain about the Tales series (Unless Xillia 2 doesnt get localised).

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
To everyone saying that it is fine because it is all optional stuff, I say that that is yet to be decided. If they purposely make it a long arduous grind to get said items or materials with the intentions of selling more resources/items, then no it isn't okay. If they make it readily available in game, but add those in as extra boosts or time savers, then whatever. I just don't want to have to farm 5 hours to build some slightly upgraded version of a plasma cutter so that EA can make more money off of an IP that has been doing quite well in the past.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I dont get why people hate online passes.

They're included with a brand new purchase. Its the studio getting some money for their work, if someone picks the game up second hand.

And anyone who says everyone in the videogame industry is just money grubbing greedy bastards trying to screw you with online passes, I point to THQ, Atari, etc.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Trishbot said:

No. You can't. EA does not care why you buy it as long as you do. The only way to have any influence with them is for the game to do poorly. And even then, EA just blames reviewers and gamers alike.

The better question is if it is truly optional. They did away with the in-game currency so that you now have to find everything which depending on the programming may be possible to do in a reasonable time or not.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Elijin said:
I dont get why people hate online passes.

They're included with a brand new purchase. Its the studio getting some money for their work, if someone picks the game up second hand.

And anyone who says everyone in the videogame industry is just money grubbing greedy bastards trying to screw you with online passes, I point to THQ, Atari, etc.
I don't hate online passes by default. But if a game has one, the server better damn well stay up for the rest of the generation.

Also, what is the obsession with getting everyone to pay to play the game. Lending out a game, book, movie etc. used to be a thing. The studio already made money from the first person playing the game. When a second hand game is used, the server doesn't need to increase in size. It was already paid for.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
As this is a thread about DLC, I think there is a very important contribution missing:

Horse Armor

That is all......