Please, give us anything but Russia

Galloglasses

Jan 14, 2009
I know there was a thread asking why do modern shooters or any games involving war always have Russia as its 'big bad' and how that is boring and annoying. I have no problem with imagining a revitalised Russia being capable of launching a global war. Why not? its still effectively a superpower, but it is ALWAYS Russia, why isnt it China? Why not give us a more regional superpower, such as Brazil and Pakistan/Indian causing modern warfare shenanigens? Hell in the Modern Warfare 3 game Russia now invades Europe, HOW PREDICTABLE! I know canonically Russia invaded America in MW2 (in a hamfisted convoluted plot that made me roll my eyes when I was shooting russian paratroopers wearing crimson gillie suits over the local burger king), but why, WHY do we have to use Russia as the main enemy invading europe?

I do not mind the global aspect of MW3 but for the love of God, give us someone else other then bloody Russia to fight, they arent communists anymore and they arent Nazis, they are NOT that widely accepted as an acceptable target anymore. Was it really so hard to say, have Russia be busy with America and then use a collapse of the European economic community as a result of both conflict in the middle east and the cutting off of oil supplies from Russia due to the war causing a collapse of dialogue and political friction which pushes European nations into another continental war due to grievances shored up with corruption and favortism and have the Europeans fighting eachother? No? Why not? In such a scenario war is believable as resources are tight, the amero-russian war would mean europe's largest trade partner is out of commission for the time being, Russia refuses to supply Europe its siberian oil and the middle east is far too chaotic for any trade, and this is just me extrapolating on world events as depicted in the MW storyline.

Ok, sure, fine, lets say everything I just said is asking too much of a ''mindless shooter'', (even though CODMW tries its best to make believable stories so it is hardly mindless), why not have us play a few levels from a russian perspective fighting off european counterattacks in the Russian mainland, why can't we have that? Can we not have shades of grey in a modern shooter? Is that asking too much?

I am tired of shooting Russians, living in Europe myself I can safely say an innumerable number of gamers here would love games where we're shooting other Europeans who just so happen to be modern and not nazis at all. Hell I'm pretty sure you could break into the Russian market if, ahem, you started making games where Russians werent always the bad guys. Or at least, just one ofmany bad guys.

AnOriginalConcept

Jan 7, 2010
Uh, don't get MW3 then? I don't play shooters, but it seems that the mechanics should matter more than the insignia the enemy is wearing.

Usually, the expression "having shades of grey" means having a morally ambiguous situation. This is a good thing.

Can you explain to me, an outsider to FPSes, why this matters?

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
You know, being it just being officially released, and while it is likely the apposing army is Russian, it may be to early to call them out on this one.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
Yes but you have forgoten who the target audience are... Americans; mostly stupid ones at that

A Red Dawn remake comes out next year for Odins sake, this sort of proof USA mass rapage of foriengers who have attacked them sell well over there. They want every possible chance to seem as underdogs.

And did you notice who makes the COD games; has there ever been a COD ( post finest hour, though some of those still favoured one side over the other) which had a balanced and fair story?

The COD franchise doesn't ever do anything new too be honest, so why would they start with their worst point: plot

Super Six One

Apr 23, 2009
TBH having Russia as an enemy is better than having the enemy "Turjzanmgizan" who happens to be situated right where Russia would be, has the same accent and wear's the same hats.
A real country is better than a fake, and why always Russia? Because it has a super morderm army that is real, China's army is more to do with mere force than hardware.

I don't care who im shooting, as long as i can hear Soap and Price's voices telling me when they are "chaning mag".

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
There are games with China as the bad guys. Operation Flashpoint has them, and the Mercenaries games (they're not the main antagonist, but they're presented similar). Hell, even C&C substituted China for Russia in Generals.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Truth betold, I think they have russia just because they're lazy and don't feel like pissing off any current superpowers.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Yeah the prevelance of this kinda thing can get a bit extreme. I nearly fell off my chair when watching the Unskippable episode on Vanquish; Space Russians, there in space and they still manage to produce more Cold War wank. With so many conflicts in human history, or potential for conflicts you'd think that a bit more diversity in the enemies we face in shooters.

frozen_scarecrow

Aug 29, 2010
I actually liked the situation you posed as the set up for MW3. Sounds plausible, and I wouldn't mind gunning down the French at some point. I think that this is a major problem in much of the FPS market. I like games like Serious Sam that let you shoot just random bad guys. I would agree with AnORiginalConcept in the idea that mechanics are more important. IF the insignia doesn't matter, than why not shoot cow men from mercury or something. I know that's a little ridiculous, but it just shows my point, in an FPS, you could shoot anything.

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
Honestly I'm sick of the whole Russian schtick too.

I would love to see our Australian SAS done justice in a videogame, especially one with as much money behind it as the COD franchise.

Dark.Kantian

Jan 31, 2011
lets not jump the gun. Do we know for a fact that its Russia, as in the state of the Russian Federation, that is the antagonist in MW3?

Granted, the teasers had a Russian guy in them... but if you recall the most recent trailer, I believe, one thing that the guy says is that you don't need a superpower to start a world conflict, but the will of one man... or something like that. If anything, this seems to point to a Russian terror group rather than the Russian state (recall also that MW2 had a Russian terror group initiated the conflict by framing America for a terror act, if I recall correctly). And if you know the political situation in Russia, this sort of possibility is not all that unlikely.

ALYKZANDYR

May 9, 2011
How about this, a game called "World War 3" running on the frostbite 2 engine, that features a lengthy campaign ( 80+hrs) where America is allied with Britain, and the rest of western Europe, and Australia. and the opposing force is led by china and allied with every other country.

Russia has no money so they get occupied by china. Russia allies with America + west Europe but provides almost no military support because they cannot afford to have a army. battles are fought on land sea and air, in Russia, Britain china, south America, west Europe, Antarctica, Canada the USA, middle east, Vietnam, tiwan, north and south korea, basically you'll do a tour of the world fighting the Chinese and their allies, while playing characters of many different nationalities.

no nazi's, Russia only serves as land to fight over. add in an massive weapon selection that are accurately depicted, and an mostly realistic ( battlefield like) presentation and large explorable maps that can be attacked from any direction you want and it will be perfect. some one make this game.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
As a Russian I approve this message, comrade.
The Russian bear wants peace and is tired of this Cold War crap...

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
I'll give you simple reason that someone at some point presented to me and the more game si see the more likely it becomes. People like silly Russian or German accents on villains. It's part of how modern culture developed in terms of movies. There is either ze eevil doctor zat must take over ze world, or a guy/chick with russian accent.

The fact that Russia is one of military superpowers with access to nuclear weapons and plenty of war waging experience does help in making them perfect antagonist.

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
as a dane i would love to shoot at swedens. not that i hate swedens it's just a nordic principle

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
You're surprised that CoD is unimaginative and repetitive? And it took you until now to realize that?

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
ALYKZANDYR said:
How about this, a game called "World War 3" running on the frostbite 2 engine, that features a lengthy campaign ( 80+hrs) where America is allied with Britain, and the rest of western Europe, and Australia. and the opposing force is led by china and allied with every other country.

Russia has no money so they get occupied by china. Russia allies with America + west Europe but provides almost no military support because they cannot afford to have a army. battles are fought on land sea and air, in Russia, Britain china, south America, west Europe, Antarctica, Canada the USA, middle east, Vietnam, tiwan, north and south korea, basically you'll do a tour of the world fighting the Chinese and their allies, while playing characters of many different nationalities.

no nazi's, Russia only serves as land to fight over. someone make this game.
Or not that plot seems nearly as convoluted and common place as vanilla CODMW.

How about we have I don't know: USA as the villians? or how about a good old British villian, I mean we make the best evil archfiends. Also Russia as poor? They HAVE ALL THE GAS and plenty of oil; they own most of our football clubs for zeus' sake.

The plot of homefront is more realistic (as north korea has one of the largest armies in the world)

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
alrekr said:
Yes but you have forgoten who the target audience are... Americans; mostly stupid ones at that

A Red Dawn remake comes out next year for Odins sake, this sort of proof USA mass rapage of foriengers who have attacked them sell well over there. They want every possible chance to seem as underdogs.

And did you notice who makes the COD games; has there every been a COD (except finest hour) which had a balanced and fair story?

The COD franchise doesn't ever do anything new too be honest, so why would they start with their worst point: plot
I'd say Modern Warfare 1 had a balanced and fair story, sure there were evil Russians but there were good Russians too. And it wasn't the actual Russian government organizing all the big evil plot stuff at the end just a rogue faction or something (it's been a while since I played it)

Also, could you really say that the early COD's were unfair and unbalanced? There wasn't much of an overarching story there at all. It was just, these Germans are the enemy, wanna know why? Go pick up a history book and find out. Nothing unfair about that.