Please help an old and starving gamer

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
Bad Jim said:
You might want to look at Deadly Rooms of Death. Despite appearances it's a puzzle game rather than a roguelike, but it is pretty fun. There's a Flash version on their website, but the full games are on GOG/Steam:

http://caravelgames.com/Articles/Games_2/FlashDROD/KDDL.html

Watch Day[9] play it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52jVROF_aDs
Outstanding Bad Jim I can definitely enjoy a good puzzle game. My very first was The Incredible Machine back in the mid-90s. Anyway thank you for the tip sir it's most appreciated!

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
1L19 said:
Outstanding Bad Jim I can definitely enjoy a good puzzle game. My very first was The Incredible Machine back in the mid-90s. Anyway thank you for the tip sir it's most appreciated!
The Incredible Machine was the bomb. I only ever played the later ones, but it was a ton of fun.

You can actually get the whole series on GOG now: here. [https://www.gog.com/game/the_incredible_machine_mega_pack]

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
OK then. Fantasy not your thing? Very well.

Play Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition and mod the hell out of it. I personally highly recommend U4E then Nali Weapons 3 then ChaosUT. Use the Arena Match/Arena Physics mutator to mod a whole crapload of different options like starting health and gravity and damage. Use the StuffSwapper mutator to change out any weapon in a match for any other. The only problem with it is it's got a case of late 90's graphics. Otherwise, I think it holds up super well.

And for a single-player experience, play Aliens vs. Predator 2 and/or Doom 4 (2017). Doom 3 is utterly amazing if you use the Perfected Doom 3 mod though. You will probably never see another game with as many weapons with this many alternative fire modes as PD3 has. The mod author even managed to slap a damn radar onto the plasma gun's interface.

For a much more peaceful story-driven game, play The Beginner's Guide. Play Undertale as well if you don't mind some bullet hell combat. I personally really dislike that combat but Undertale's story made it worth it.

Mar 30, 2010
Given that your most played game by far is Nethack I would heartily recommend Steam (but if you want my advice download the original ASCII version from the first link).

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
1L19 said:
Minecraft - HELL no. I'm not an artist nor a crafting type.
No excuse. You need to be neither to beat the game in survival mode (or is that too challenging for you?).

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
CaitSeith said:
1L19 said:
No excuse. You need to be neither to beat the game in survival mode (or is that too challenging for you?).
Besides the fact that that's not entirely true, since you have to craft a bunch of different things, including outside of the actual crafting menu; you're also acting like kind of a jerk. If he doesn't want to play Minecraft, he doesn't want to play Minecraft.

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
Arnoxthe1 said:
OK then. Fantasy not your thing? Very well.

Play Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition and mod the hell out of it. I personally highly recommend U4E then Nali Weapons 3 then ChaosUT. Use the Arena Match/Arena Physics mutator to mod a whole crapload of different options like starting health and gravity and damage. Use the StuffSwapper mutator to change out any weapon in a match for any other. The only problem with it is it's got a case of late 90's graphics. Otherwise, I think it holds up super well.

And for a single-player experience, play Aliens vs. Predator 2 and/or Doom 4 (2017). Doom 3 is utterly amazing if you use the Perfected Doom 3 mod though. You will probably never see another game with as many weapons with this many alternative fire modes as PD3 has. The mod author even managed to slap a damn radar onto the plasma gun's interface.

For a much more peaceful story-driven game, play The Beginner's Guide. Play Undertale as well if you don't mind some bullet hell combat. I personally really dislike that combat but Undertale's story made it worth it.
Arnoxthe1 thank you again for more great suggestions. I played a bit of Unreal Tournament but the mode I liked the most wasn't very popular so it was hard to find stead games. It was this mode that was kind of like basketball where you passed the ball around and had to shoot it through the goal to score a point. Loved it.

Another poster suggested Doom 4 and I hadn't tried Doom 3 yet so those are definitely on my list. I'll be sure to grab that Perfected Doom 3 mod as well based on your suggestion. Haven't played the Alien vs Predator games but I will definitely be giving 2 a look. I took a look at Undertail and I don't know if I could manage it. I just looked at The Beginner's Guide and it's from the same guy who did The Stanley Parable which I own but man was it short. I don't think I could drop 10 bucks on a game with 1.5 hours of gameplay however I'll wishlist it and if the price drops I'll snap it up.

Thank you again sir. Great stuff here.

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
leet_x1337 said:
1L19 said:
The Incredible Machine was the bomb. I only ever played the later ones, but it was a ton of fun.

You can actually get the whole series on GOG now: here. [https://www.gog.com/game/the_incredible_machine_mega_pack]
10 bucks is not bad at all for the whole pack. I really had fun with it too. Going to have to snap that one up. Thank you leet_x1337 for an ideal selection.

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
Grouchy Imp said:
Given that your most played game by far is Nethack I would heartily recommend Steam (but if you want my advice download the original ASCII version from the first link).
Grouchy Imp you've got my curiosity peaked with that ADOM suggestion. I took a look and wish listed it as can probably get it for 10 bucks. Even if I can't I'll buy it anyway. Looks like a game I will really like and it seems to be well received by current players. I have no problem at all going with the ASCII version as I never ever played Nethack with tiles or the like. Thank you very much sir!

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
CaitSeith said:
1L19 said:
Haha ok aggro boy I'll make you a deal. You go ascend one character in Nethack (Dwarf Valkyrie is probably the easiest race/class) using every single spoiler you can find. Use IRC, let folks walk you through the game and in a couple of years once you've managed it then you can come find me and try out your "too challenging for you" line again. Peace brother.

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
leet_x1337 said:
CaitSeith said:
1L19 said:
Besides the fact that that's not entirely true, since you have to craft a bunch of different things, including outside of the actual crafting menu; you're also acting like kind of a jerk. If he doesn't want to play Minecraft, he doesn't want to play Minecraft.
Respect leet_x1337.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
So what is your alt.org username? With all those hours, I'm kind of curious to see your stats.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Just stopped by to cast in my vote for XCOM 1 & 2. Although you may have played the originals, these are very very well adapted to modern times. Might seem dumbed down on the surface, and the micronmanagement has been simplified somewhat, but it is by no means any less tense. Some of my best gaming experiences this generation have been from those 2 games, plus their expansions.

Sure they're not without their flaws, but their minor enough that most all of them can be and have been ironed out with mods/patches.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
1L19 said:
Arnoxthe1 thank you again for more great suggestions. I played a bit of Unreal Tournament but the mode I liked the most wasn't very popular so it was hard to find stead games. It was this mode that was kind of like basketball where you passed the ball around and had to shoot it through the goal to score a point. Loved it.

Another poster suggested Doom 4 and I hadn't tried Doom 3 yet so those are definitely on my list. I'll be sure to grab that Perfected Doom 3 mod as well based on your suggestion. Haven't played the Alien vs Predator games but I will definitely be giving 2 a look. I took a look at Undertail and I don't know if I could manage it. I just looked at The Beginner's Guide and it's from the same guy who did The Stanley Parable which I own but man was it short. I don't think I could drop 10 bucks on a game with 1.5 hours of gameplay however I'll wishlist it and if the price drops I'll snap it up.

You're welcome!

And as for UT, I think you're thinking of UT2003/2004's Bombing Run. I think it's actually kinda underrated too but if you can't find anyone to play against online, why not play against the bots? UT99/2003/2004 has the best bot support of any game made. Also, let me know if you need a list of mutators for UT2004 instead.

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
Drathnoxis said:
So what is your alt.org username? With all those hours, I'm kind of curious to see your stats.
This was my main for a long time before I got banned on IRC and made a new character:

https://alt.org/nethack/player-stats.php?player=D34dlyD34dly

On that character have at least 2 ascensions on every class (36 total) but it took me like 548 games to get there.

This is my most recent character:

https://alt.org/nethack/player-stats.php?player=HouseMusic

On HouseMusic I had a great ascension rate (24/55 43%) and had no quits or escapes but when the new version was released (they still run 3.4.3 as well) and stopped announcing the stats in IRC I started scumming to get good starting gear. I haven't played on there since the fall or whatever as I set up Ubuntu on an old laptop and was able to (after like a month!) get the version (with mods) they are running on NAO to run on my box.

Can you tell I favor playing a Wizard? :)

As a side note for any current or potential Nethack players. My v3.4.3 config file is the bomb. I stole most of the sections from the very top players in the game and it will really add to your experience. You can find it here:

https://alt.org/nethack/userdata/H/HouseMusic/HouseMusic.nh343rc

Peace kid and thank for asking. It let me vomit more Nethack stuff all over this thread. :)

Sep 13, 2009
I'll second Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong. You said you don't like strategy games, but neither of them are super heavy on strategy. It's more like an RPG where you control your party, with some positioning. The story and characters in both are great. By the look of the games you've played so far, I think you might like it.

Have you played any Supergiant games? I'm a massive fan of all their work, but if I had to pick one to recommend to you I'd go with Pyre. Great story, art, setting, soundtrack and characters. The gameplay isn't necessarily top of the line, but I found it pretty fun and unique. Bastion and Transistor are both great games too, but my favorite is Pyre

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
Arnoxthe1 said:
1L19 said:

You're welcome!

And as for UT, I think you're thinking of UT2003/2004's Bombing Run. I think it's actually kinda underrated too but if you can't find anyone to play against online, why not play against the bots? UT99/2003/2004 has the best bot support of any game made. Also, let me know if you need a list of mutators for UT2004 instead.
Thank you for the reminder and you are right. I went and looked and Bombing Run is definitely the mode I like best. I've never really played vs games like those with bots only. I guess the bragging rights and smack talk really add to the game for me. :)

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
JohnnyDelRay said:
Just stopped by to cast in my vote for XCOM 1 & 2. Although you may have played the originals, these are very very well adapted to modern times. Might seem dumbed down on the surface, and the micronmanagement has been simplified somewhat, but it is by no means any less tense. Some of my best gaming experiences this generation have been from those 2 games, plus their expansions.

Sure they're not without their flaws, but their minor enough that most all of them can be and have been ironed out with mods/patches.
You know JohnnyDelRay you are the second person to suggest that series of games. I wasn't really going to check it out but that's a pretty solid recommendation. I'm going to give it a look now. Thank you sir for tipping the scales.

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
The Almighty Aardvark said:
I'll second Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong. You said you don't like strategy games, but neither of them are super heavy on strategy. It's more like an RPG where you control your party, with some positioning. The story and characters in both are great. By the look of the games you've played so far, I think you might like it.

Have you played any Supergiant games? I'm a massive fan of all their work, but if I had to pick one to recommend to you I'd go with Pyre. Great story, art, setting, soundtrack and characters. The gameplay isn't necessarily top of the line, but I found it pretty fun and unique. Bastion and Transistor are both great games too, but my favorite is Pyre
The Almighty Aardvark after several recommendations like yours I finally gave in and put Shadowrun on my Steam wishlist. I'm actually looking forward to it at this point as I didn't really know it was a cyberpunk theme which is one of my favorites. As far as Supergiant I own Bastion and found it a nice little distractor for a bit but didn't play through it more than once. It was cheap however and I did like it so I'll give Pyre a look. Thank you very much for your thoughts and opinions. I do appreciate it very much.

1L19

Jan 21, 2018
Regarding my original Nethack character name of D34dlyD34dly this is where I got it:

http://thenoobcomic.com/comic/300/

RAAAAAAIN OF FIREEEEEE!

Only web comic I've ever read. It's about a MMO named ClicheQuest and the girl who does it is pretty damn funny.