Please recommend a medieval RTS that is fairly new and good.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Aramis Night said:
saintdane05 said:
Guys, you're all missing the thing: Warcraft 3.
<youtube=A20Dcw9Izyo>
YEAH@!
Sorry, he was specifically asking for a GOOD medieval RTS. Not an overrated cartoon fantasy warhammer rip-off.
There is a difference between a rip off and taking inspiration from something. I think WarCraft has done enough on it's own to stand apart.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
lightingbird said:
Anyway, someone recommended King Arthur 2 on another forum. It looks pretty good, so I'm going to try that out.
Before you do, please note that it's not an RTS, it's a a Total War clone, and the RTS gameplay is worse than in any of the Total War games.

Now, I like the King Arthur games, but what's good about them (as the title suggests) is the combination of wargame and role playing elements. If you already don't like Total War and if all you're looking for is an RTS, you will likely not enjoy the King Arthur games at all.

If you want a fun, original but flawed strategy game with strong roleplaying elements, go right ahead.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
probably the best fantasy strategy game out there. Maybe not the latest graphics but if you appreciate quality story and gameplay then this is the game for you.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
SecretNegative said:
Aramis Night said:
Sorry, he was specifically asking for a GOOD medieval RTS. Not an overrated cartoon fantasy warhammer rip-off.
Yeah, Warcraft basically took Warhammer, threw out the shitty grimdark shit written by the kids trying to be edgy, and made it good.

Anything you wanted to add at all? No?

Ont: Warcraft 3 is a very good game, or atleast the campaign is. I'm not really a fan of RTS games, but considering I actually enjoyed it should grant it a recommendation.

Age of Empires 2 is another game you might enjoy, it's a little old, but there's been an HD remake recently and it really is great fun. Can't say much more than that really, it's just a solid game. I'm not an avid RTS player to it's hard to say what's good or bad about the games in the genre, but, well, there you go.
Hey now, there is no need to bash Warhammer because you don't like it. And the guy you quoted. There is no need to bash Warcraft because you don't like it. They are different games, sure Warcraft may have taken some ideas from Warhammer, but EVERYTHING EVER has done that. It's part of how we create new things.

Could we please stop acting like the thing we like is the original? It more than likely isn't. Hell. Warhammer Fantasy's main story is basically about Medieval Europe (The Empire), Britannia (Bretonnia in Warhammer), Facing off against Heretics and Monsters. Pile up old mythology, toss it at Europe. Tada Warhammer Fantasy.

Tomb Kings, - Egypt, Chaos, a mix between the Norse attacking Europe and the Middle East Islamics lauching Jihads against Europe and Europe launching Crusades against Islam.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
kingthrall said:
probably the best fantasy strategy game out there. Maybe not the latest graphics but if you appreciate quality story and gameplay then this is the game for you.
Good call! I had forgotten about the Myth games. They're a little dated now and you only control small numbers of guys at a time, but the Myth games still rank as some of the best (and most brutal) of all time.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
kingthrall said:
True that.

Myth 2 is extremely solid too, in that old school sequel sense of being essentially the same game with more content.

If you think of an RTS in terms of warcraft or command and conquer, it may not be what you're after. You have a limited supply of troops, so it's very much about tense, risk-averse gameplay. Still, it's really really good.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The Settlers series kinda is a rts. It's primary focus is city building, similar to Stronghold, with army building and fighting taking a optional part in gameplay. But also similarly to Stronghold, the army building and fighting its self is tedious and annoying.

You could maybe say Black and White 2, but it has a fantasy setting and also centers heavily on city building but the fighting is at least playable and sometimes fun.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Oh. You could try The new Citadel Game. It's like stronghold but with updated graphics.

http://www.gamershell.com/news_154291.html

Dark marauder

Jul 19, 2009
Cecilo said:
Oh. You could try The new Citadel Game. It's like stronghold but with updated graphics.

Did you even read his post? or were you being sarcastic?

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
You may probably hate me since it's a slightly buggy game, old, average game play, story, graphics, voice acting, and has some very annoying parts that make up the game such as the amount of time it takes to walk across the map, but you might want to take a look into Spellforce Platinum on steam. It's fantasy with magic and different races. I doubt there's any online but it's probably cheap and you might enjoy it.

lightingbird

Dec 4, 2008
Amaror said:
If you don't mind fantasy, try spellforce. You can start with 2, except for the background of the world the stories don't overlap, except for a few cameos.
The first one's awesome, too, but the graphics aren't as good (But not bad either) and it's more complex, so 2 is a little bit easier to get into.
Spellforce combines rpg and rts in a great way. It's mainly a rts. You build armies and try to destroy the enemy bases. But you also have a main character walking around as an elite unit. You have tons of sidequests, meet interesting characters, gain levels and specialize your character.
The Spellforce game also have great stories across the board.
Besides, with the exception of age of empires and warcraft 3, it's the only recommended game so far that's actually an Rts and not some mixture like Total war.
Thanks I'm going to look into Spellforce 2. Sounds interesting.

Cecilo said:

Spiritmaster said:
Well there are those Fortress games (the third being the newest) that are pretty good with a heavy emphasis on building your own fort. There is also that new Citadel thing on steam that looks like what you're looking for but its pretty new so no reviews for whether or not its good, and its $40 (American) so based on the two factors I wouldn't rush out to buy it if I were you.
Haha these two posts crack me up. Clearly didn't read my post. Ha wow.