Please recommend me a Science fiction books?

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
fenderstrat said:
no weird powers,or jedis, or aliens (except maybe the ones that kill you)
That's my suggestions out the window with two broken legs on the pavement.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
I havent read much Sci-Fi, probably the only one I have read is The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Its very much a futuristic off-world analogue to the Vietnam war, detailing the psychological effects of these future soldiers, as well as the time effects of faster or almost as fast (cant recall which one) as light travel on time, and the social effects over the time. In short, its hard to explain without giving away too much, but it did interest me a lot, and made me curious about a lot more sci fi stuff.

Ferrious

Made From Corpses
Jan 6, 2010
Nothing I can think of along the lines of what you've suggested, but Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan is one of my top Sci-Fi books of all time.

Think noir detective story in the future. Only the crime is the supposed murder of a man who apparently killed himself. Oh yeah, the victim is also the client hiring our P.I.

It also goes on for another two books that follow our hero, and are both very good reads.

Oh! Oh! If you're into zombies (technically science-fiction in this instance), you can do much worse than "Feed" by Mira Grant. That book isn't getting enough attention considering how good it is.

willofbob

Aug 22, 2010
the leviathan books by s. westerfield (I think that's his name, it's been a while since I read them). steampunk set in an alternate WWI, in which the allies use muated animals to fight (one of them being the flying whale Leviathan) whilst the germans use machines.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Just in case nobody has put it:

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

One of the best books I've ever read and definitely one of the funniest.

oden636

Jun 15, 2009
Omikron009 said:
I can't think of anything in the category you want, but I'd highly recommend the Culture series by Iain M. Banks. Start with The Player of Games. It's the second book, but I think it's better than the first.

EDIT: It would be worth mentioning that the books all take place in the same setting, but the stories are totally independent of each other, so it doesn't really matter what order you read the books in.
A brilliant series. absolutely agree. The best one is the series in my eyes is the "use of weapons".
Other series i would recommend are;

Richard Morgan, Altered carbon.
Jeff Somers, Electric Church.
Dan abnett; Inquisitor.
Joe Abercrombie, The blade itself.

A new book i just read but cant remember the author is called "The passage" brilliant story and well researched.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Neuromancer is good, though cyberpunk is a pretty specific subgenre of sci-fi. If you like noir or pulp, you'd probably like cyberpunk. For a more tongue-in-cheek cyberpunk book, you might check out Snow Crash. It's probably better to read Neuromancer before Snow Crash though.

thingymuwatsit

May 29, 2010
Read one with good grammar, particularly in the title.
But i recommended the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
mcpop9 said:
The Ender series, the first can stand alone if you don't want to read the whole series.
I've only read the first one myself but it is a great book, I would reccommend it.

Brutus03

Feb 27, 2009
John Ringo's Series of Troy Rising Includes
Live free or Die
Citadel
3rd book on the way

Horseradish_5000

Nov 9, 2009
The Gap sequence series by Stephen R. Donaldson. I still get excited thinking about it, Great plot, Fantastic writing, superb characters, but one of the most accessible books I have read. Just a Brilliant page turner.

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
Three pages into this thread and no one mentioned 'Red Dwarf'?!

TURN IN YOUR GEEK BADGES NOW!!!

Yes, people, it was a novel before it was a television series.

I read a couple of 'Star Trek' books (long, LONG ago) that held up quite well without having to know the series inside and out.

Deep Space Nine's 'The Siege' written by Peter David and 'Fallen Heroes' by Dafydd ab Hugh

There was a couple of good Orginal Series novels and one TNG story by a woman named Rebecca Neason I really liked, but sadly, I can't remember the titles anymore. And I sold my collection of sci-fi books long ago. If I were you, check out anything by Peter David; the man is nothing short of a genius.

Other than that, I got nothin'. If it isn't 'The Walking Dead', a DC comic or something short out of the fan-fiction isle, I'm not too interested in it.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Illesdan said:
Three pages into this thread and no one mentioned 'Red Dwarf'?!

TURN IN YOUR GEEK BADGES NOW!!!

Yes, people, it was a novel before it was a television series.
No, it wasn't. The first novel came out after the first two seasons of the TV series.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
The Ender saga, Orson Scott Card
The Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov
Nightfall, Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
Has anyone mentioned the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov? It was hugely influential and a must read. Also, if you like short stories, try 'Stories of Your Life and Others' by Ted Chiang. It won, like, 3 Nebula awards.

http://www.thrivenotes.com/the-last-question/

Also, The Last Question by Isaac Asimov (link above), short story, is amazing. Read it, the ending is awesome!

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Shades of Grey, just read it. It's amazing, one of the best endings I've read in ages.

VanillaBean

Feb 3, 2010
Enders Game
House of the Scorpion
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

While none of these fit the standard you've set there still really good sci-fi books.