Please stop calling it "Medical Marijuana"

balanovich

Jan 25, 2010
IzisviAziria said:
This rant was inspired by the following video
I agree with all you say.
But how can this video inspire a rant? It's calm, it doesn't overdo itself. It's just a guy saying there are more people for legalization than against. He does' talk about reasons, like you do.

I can't see one causing the other.

I'd like to see pot legalized AND controlled by a state-owned company. The state should take control of the entire system, from production to sales. Maximizing profits and ensuring that it's grown without pesticides and in a safe environment.

Prices could be cheaper than black market, stopping it efficiently. Pot could be safer, making it better for the people who smoke it.

People seem to forget the international aspect of it. If America legalises pot, it going to be Amsterdam again and there is going to be a LOT of drug tourism. It will bring mistrust from other countries.
Legalising pot should be a global thing. Imagine, USA, Canada and Most of Europe joining in legalizing pot. That would be doable. IT's sad that such a collective effort will never be ... but it would be the best way to go.

Suicida1 Midget said:
I think its fair to say the fun time pot is not just the plant but a combination of things like cough syrup, lsd, and other fun stuff.
Absolutely not! You really don't know anything about the subject. If ever people put that stuff in weed, that's a good reason to legalize it and make it safer.

But hey, anyone who says a couple of lines of text can cover an entire subject is an arrogant douche bag!

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
A fairly well put together post, TC, in which I agree with some parts and am indifferent on others. But two points:

1. YES YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GET FIRED FOR POPPING POSITIVE ON A DRUG TEST AT WORK. Even if marijuana is legal, this just makes sense. Sure, you can pop positive and not be high at the time, but it's nearly impossible to differentiate if you just smoke weed off work or are high when you're on the job. Better safe than sorry, ya know? They fire people who show up to work drunk, don't they?

2. I thought the prefix was "medicinal," not "medical."

As for the issue itself, I'm more or less indifferent. I've never smoked weed (or tobacco products, or gotten drunk) and never plan to, but I don't really care if weed is legalized as long as it doesn't create an inconvenience for me. I believe in democracy, and if the people want legal weed, then they'll get legal weed. If it turns out to be the worst idea in the world, they'll figure that out sooner or later.

I do, however, despise stoners and any other substance abusers. They are insufferable, annoying, self-destructive morons. I also despise the people who seem to think legalization of marijuana for patients with terminal or otherwise grave illnesses somehow translates to "POT FOR EVERYONE!!! WOOOOOOOOOO PARTAYYYY!!!"

Roobarb

Mar 31, 2011
I use medical marijuana. It's my medicine. Without it, I burn things and impale small creatures to my workshop wall.

Link to the proof: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50348910@N06/6795162161/

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
IzisviAziria said:
med·i·cine/ˈmedisən/
Noun:

The science or practice of the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease (in technical use often taken to exclude surgery).
A drug or other preparation used for the treatment or prevention of disease.

Marijuana is a drug. Opiates are a drug. Penicillin is medicine. Pain relievers are not medicine, they are drugs.
Dude seriously??

The definition that YOU chose specifically uses the word DRUG to define what medicine is.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Take cough syrup. It cures nothing. Take pain killers, both the strong ones and the ones we use for headaches. They cure nothing. Take chemo, it's basically poison, but we still sue it as medicine. Allergy pills don't cure allergies, they ease the problems. Even life saving things like asthma medicines, epilepsy medicines, epinephrine and the like don't cure anything. Should we discredit those too?

If we are going to rule out everything that doesn't cure anything as medicine then we can rule out pretty much every pharmaceutical product as medicine.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
Jack the Potato said:
it's nearly impossible to differentiate if you just smoke weed off work or are high when you're on the job.
From a blood or urine test, that's true. From observing and/or interacting with the person? pretty easy.

In fact, if no one on the job can spot it, then it obviously doesn't have much of an impact on their capacity to work effectively.

Jack the Potato said:
They fire people who show up to work drunk, don't they?
Sure, but what you suggested was to fire ppl for what they do on their own time. So it would be like firing everyone who had a beer over the weekend or a glass of wine with supper the night before.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Jack the Potato said:
1. YES YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY GET FIRED FOR POPPING POSITIVE ON A DRUG TEST AT WORK. Even if marijuana is legal, this just makes sense. Sure, you can pop positive and not be high at the time, but it's nearly impossible to differentiate if you just smoke weed off work or are high when you're on the job. Better safe than sorry, ya know? They fire people who show up to work drunk, don't they?
Just a FYI, marijuana stays in your system for a week and remains detectable for something like 2 weeks if i recall. So if a guy smokes during the weekend and gets tested on a thursday, he would be fired according to your "better safe then sorry" doctrine.

Jus' saying.

As for it being impossible to tell if you smoke weed off work or are stoned when working... What?

It is very very possible and easy to tell if someone is stoned. If the eyes and general demeanor don't give you a clue, the psychological clues (which vary a bit depending on person, not everyone gets paranoid or gets giggle fits) surely will.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
People who have never smoked weed have zero frame of reference here and shouldn't maintain commenting negatively and spouting "facts" without first hand knowledge. I've smoked and gone to work a few times and nothing strange has happened, my behavior doesn't radically change, I don't get paranoid, most importantly my work itself doesn't suffer, and I've been working there for almost ten years. In short: smoking weed doesn't turn you into a cartoon character, most times where you are determines how you act. If you're with friends, you'll be silly. At work, not so much.

I'm all for legalization, and I'm for suggesting that it does have medicinal value. Read the comments on medical marijuana sites, it may change your opinion. Give it a chance, don't immediately think someone is a "burn out" because they smoke.

"I have Multiple Sclerosis, Trigeminal Neuralgia (which is classified as the worst pain known to human kind), and now possibly Sjogrens. If it werent for Marijuana smoking, there are days I would not be able to walk, or see, or be without such severe pain, that cannot be controlled. I am not a 16 year old playing around, I'm a 30 year old that got sick way too young, and I found ONE medicine that works... If you dont like it, dont use it, but when i cant feel my legs, and in two puffs can do jumping jacks, sorry, I want to actually LIVE my life, and who are you, or anyone else to tell me different???"

Roobarb

Mar 31, 2011
PorkChopXpress said:
I've smoked and gone to work a few times and nothing strange has happened
I do this regularly. It has never impaired my work performance in any way. I fix and build computers and also do all the callouts. I've never had a problem with this job, or any other job. I've been toking for over 20 years, always been in work, always paid my bills, enjoyed a varied social life, loved some very beautiful (but completely fucked up) women and overall, enjoyed my lifestyle thoroughly.

Weed is a great way to unwind without messing your mind and body up too much, unlike beer, tobacco and the many "harder" drugs that are available, which only serve to destroy the way the body functions normally.

If I drank as much as I smoked, I wouldn't be able to work at all. True story bro. ;)

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
IzisviAziria said:
Seriously. Stop doing it. You're not helping. You're not accomplishing anything. It does not fix any problem the body has,
IzisviAziria said:
-I understand that many people legitimately get through difficult pains and ailments with the aid of marijuana
IzisviAziria said:
it does not fix any ailment,
IzisviAziria said:
-I understand that many people legitimately get through difficult pains and ailments with the aid of marijuana
http://www.ama-assn.org/resources/doc/csaph/csaph-report3-i09.pdf

As someone who has tried walking on an ankle broken in three places I will venture that pain is serious.

IzisviAziria said:
it is not a cure for anything. The number of people who have had diseases cured by pot is zero.
That isn't its function so I'm curious as to what your surprise at this is.

IzisviAziria said:
"Medical Marijuana" is a trend. It's a catchphrase, a hotword that people who support legalization are trying to use to get it legalized. They use touching stories of cancer patients who rode out their chemotherapy by toking up. I get that. But that doesn't make it medicine. It makes it a painkiller. It's medicine the same way Vicodin is, which is to say, not at all.
It's used in a medical context rather than for recreation and in the context of medicine and laws governing its prescription by doctors this is an important distinguishing factor. The permission to have cannabis prescribed by a doctor does not make it legal to use for recreational purposes. You don't have over the counter recreational morphine just because it can be given to you by a doctor to relieve pain.

IzisviAziria said:
Now, I'm not ranting against legalization. I genuinely believe it should be legalized, regulated, and taxed. I'm ranting against the pretense on which people are trying to get it legalized. You want pot to be legal so that you can come home from work, kick back, and have a toke or two the same way you can come home from work, kick back, and have a beer or three right now. And there's nothing wrong with that.
This is also completely irrelevant to whether or not this should be allowed to be used in a medical context however.

IzisviAziria said:
But if we're going to get anywhere with the argument, we have to first acknowledge that. We have to be mature, upfront, honest, and genuine with our case. Yes, pot is recreational. Yes, we want it legalized so that we can recreationally use it without having to deal with some shady scumbag, or be afraid of losing our jobs to drug tests or incarceration.
Legalized medicinal use of cannabis does not mean legalized use of recreational cannabis. It may be easier to obtain for the latter purpose but that does not make it legal in that sense, and any debate regarding its medicinal value is completely irrelevant to the majority of users.

IzisviAziria said:
Prohibition of alcohol wasn't defeated by shouting it's medicinal value. Nobody used sob stories or half-truths. People just said they wanted to be able to have a fucking beer without getting it from the mob. If marijuana is going to be legalized, that's how it's going to happen. People are going to say that we, as free human beings, have the right to use it if we so choose.
The legalization of alcohol came about as a result in a shift of priorities. The 1920s had seen prosperity and a religious revival plus significant influence from conservative populace in trying to force the public to behave morally in line with the temperance movement. The economic crisis meant that people were less concerned with moral behaviour, and the opposition democrats noted it would raise revenues while also reducing the crime rate. It was purely political expediency to the patricians that brought about the change, and given the level to which this class is invested in keeping cannabis illegal in all forms I doubt this will change soon unless Obama finds he needs a few extra votes to win the next election.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Medicinal marijuana is a thing. Some people do use it for pain or whatever. Glaucoma patients use it, cancer patients, general pain relief. It's like saying there's no such thing as a medical opiate. Should we stop using morphine just because people use it recreationally?

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Yes, there are quite a few people who use medicinal marijuana as an excuse for what amounts to back-door legalization for themselves. I know a few myself, it's where I started when I first got the idea to approach a doctor about it, and know from experience that a lot of dispensaries I've been to perform their "patient services" with a wink and a nod.

The card in my wallet did ultimately end up there as a result of legitimate medical grievances, not just a case of "back pain," but I would be lying if I said it was the condition itself that made me exercise my rights under my state's constitution. What got me in that doctor's office started as an attempt to dodge the threat of a newly-instituted drug policy at my job of three years.

One thing the experience HAS taught me as an unexpected consequence, though, is that ingested cannabinoids are some of the most astonishingly effective pain relief I've found. I'm 100% a convert about its effectiveness at controlling certain types of pain caused by traumas to the neuromuscular system. A sublingual dose of THC/CBD completely halts the painful feelings that are normally so intense, I can't even pick up a glass. It's a minor miracle.

Being able to obtain a little something to puff on the side once I get off work turned into a small bonus. I'm able to obtain top-shelf product at prices that under-cut street value, at my own discretion, without needing to deal with dubious underground entities or middle-men. I also contribute to the tax base of my state and my local community as well.

Not to mention that my state's MMJ industry is demonstrating quite completely that a regulated system can be put into place that serves the state as much as it does the people, a system that can actually MAKE money on what was formerly a purely black-market industry the state spent money combating. It brings a little sense and sanity into an insane system. Actually, take the "medical" aspect out, and what's left is the proven framework for a regulatory system that serves the people, serves the government, and serves law enforcement almost equally across the board with their grievances of a legal, unregulated market, and their grievances as well about a black market system that works for no one except the criminals themselves.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah...i am opposed to marijuana, but medical marijuana is a real thing. If you take it for pain relief, get back your appettite or whatever and it was prescribed to you by a doctor, it is medical as opposed to just being recertational. That said I hear the system for medical marijuana is highly abused.