Pokeball Button Combos

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
if you press select at the EXACT moment the ball is thrown it will turn into a master ball!

UTTER CRAP! you know it, i know it, everyone with a brain knows it! but we still press buttons while throwing a pokeball, perhaps its just cos we cant bear to just watch as destiny decides whether or not we are to have that elusive pokemon, any other mad combos youve heard of?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Used to be Down and B. Held harder for more effect.

Now it's randomly bashing everything in the hope it will do anything, leaving it to catch something on it's own feels like it won't do anything.

Xero Scythe

Aug 7, 2009
Up, Down, A, hold B until you see the pokeball stop moving. I've done it ever since Blue came out.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
i remember when i was a kid id go to this after school club annd there was one kid ALWAYS on pokemon and sometimes id see him literally propping himself up on one finger, on one of the buttons

STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID!!!! like it can tell how hard its being pressed! oh and dont break it will you?

Feste the Jester

Jul 10, 2009
I use a + b and Down. Its just became apart of when I catch Pokemon now, it feels weird if I don't use the button combo.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I actually don't press anything. I hold my breath so as not to disturb it.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
On an emulator with savestates, I caught Mewtwo cold on the first turn by throwing a Pokéball. I did it by retrying the timing over and over, until I hit A for 1 frame about 250 frames after opening the menu.

My testing indicates that the timing of when you throw the ball affects whether you catch the target, but in an unpredictable way. Hitting other buttons while the ball is wiggling has no impact - in fact, by the time you see the Poké Ball sprite, the game has already decided how many times the ball will wiggle, and if the target will be caught.

Holding down A during the "PIKACHU used THUNDERSHOCK" text can affect the damage of an attack, but usually won't modify the critical hit status. The change is unpredictable, so it won't make an overall difference whether you do it or not.

ThatTallGuy

Jul 24, 2009
I always hold down Up + A. That's what I was told back when I had Yellow, and that's what I've done ever since. I firmly believe that it helps, more so when chanting "Come on, come on, come on" repeatedly in groups of threes.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
I used to Mash A repeatedly.

Now i find using better balls is more effective then mashing buttons.

masher

Jul 20, 2009
I mash all the buttons (letters, arrows, and the R & L tabs) in my vain attempt to bless my Poke' Catchin' Spheres with godly intentions. Again, yes, the harder the better... until that faithful day the casing implodes, I will continue to do so for no reason, what-so-ever.

chetoos

Jul 13, 2009
in the new games, I circle the ball on the touch screen with the stylus. it gives me something to do with my hands during the very poorly timed capture sequence