Pokemon and Mew

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Dear Escapists, Id have a question for all of you. I know theres quite a few of you who play pokemon and own a Gameboy-fill in version here-. My favorite one alltime and nonstop has been....Mew.

I actually HAD it on my red version because back then I had a friend who was japanese and he went to Japan and I pathetically urged/begged/plead...(fill in anything else here) him to take it with him/go to a convention and get me mew. Long story short....I have a little brother...and little siblings suck -.- (Im sorry to all the younger siblings...but he deleted my game...started a new one..the moment I turned it on I had a squirtle level 8 named turtle...atleast he couldve thought of a better nickname for gods sake)

So I was wondering...fill in my lifelong dream haha, does anyone here on the escapist have it/would be willing to let it breed/form a new mew and give it to me..I would be soooooo excited and gobsmacked...for all thats holy Id probably name my firstborn child after you haha :)

Sidenote: I donno if its possible..itd just make me really really happy if it were possible and would work out some way. Thanks for your help nevertheless and correcting me if it isnt possible.

Edit: I probably shouldve written in here...at the very beginning that the version I am playing at the moment is the Y version...thought probs wouldve been some good info. Im sorry if it caused for any confusion.

Captcha: Time machine...if Id have one Id go back in time smack him upside the head again.....and stop him from deleting the damned thing in the first place haha....ty captcha for rubbing it in....

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Well there is two ways you could go about this. One is most likely nigh-impossible, the other is not easy either could be potentially be expensive or dangerous.

Getting one via trade will be difficult. Very difficult. I believe since Pokemon's release, correct me if I'm wrong, Mew has been available once maybe twice. Chances are people only have one and such a rare Pokemon would ask for a high price. If any are even offered anyway.

The other method use to be easy as hell, then Nintendo shut down the GTS. A site called Pokecheck made use of a private GTS server and acted as a Pokemon sharing site. It's how I got all of the legendaries. But with the GTS shut down, that site is now useless. There are other methods, I believe a gameshark will work, I've seen another one that you plug into your computer and download Pokemon from there, and a few other ways. Of course all of these cost money and may potentially be harmful. I wish I had better guidance here, but I have most of what I want.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Elfgore said:
Well there is two ways you could go about this. One is most likely nigh-impossible, the other is not easy either could be potentially be expensive or dangerous.

Getting one via trade will be difficult. Very difficult. I believe since Pokemon's release, correct me if I'm wrong, Mew has been available once maybe twice. Chances are people only have one and such a rare Pokemon would ask for a high price. If any are even offered anyway.

The other method use to be easy as hell, then Nintendo shut down the GTS. A site called Pokecheck made use of a private GTS server and acted as a Pokemon sharing site. It's how I got all of the legendaries. But with the GTS shut down, that site is now useless. There are other methods, I believe a gameshark will work, I've seen another one that you plug into your computer and download Pokemon from there, and a few other ways. Of course all of these cost money and may potentially be harmful. I wish I had better guidance here, but I have most of what I want.

you dont perchance have a mew that you could breed with a ditto and that I could name my unborn child 'elfgore' after haha?

I really donno if it works that..you can just 'breed' it with a ditto and have that outcome. I personally wanted to get it completely 'legitemitly (spelling?)' so a gameshark..atleast for me, would be out of question. I thank you nevertheless though for the idea :)

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Lilikins said:
Elfgore said:

you dont perchance have a mew that you could breed with a ditto and that I could name my unborn child 'elfgore' after haha?

I really donno if it works that..you can just 'breed' it with a ditto and have that outcome. I personally wanted to get it completely 'legitemitly (spelling?)' so a gameshark..atleast for me, would be out of question. I thank you nevertheless though for the idea :)
I would breed my Mew, but you cannot breed legendaries in Pokemon games. Even with a ditto. Gotta keep the demand high. Hopefully, since it's been a while since a Mew event, one may come along in the coming year or so.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Elfgore said:
I would breed my Mew, but you cannot breed legendaries in Pokemon games. Even with a ditto. Gotta keep the demand high. Hopefully, since it's been a while since a Mew event, one may come along in the coming year or so.

aww, well that sorta..killed off the purpose of this entire thread then unless someone has two I spose (A snowballs chance in hell I presume haha...)

Nevertheless though, thank you very much for the info and your help Elfgore :)

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
You can catch it in Red and Blue from what I remember with a game glitch but I read somewhere you can't import Pokemon from those two to the most recent because of a break in the link capability between Gen 2 and gen 3. :-\

Unless you can import direct from gen 1 to gen 3? I don't know, I never owned any past gen 3 until I bought X & Y recently.

Source:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
Lightspeaker said:
You can catch it in Red and Blue from what I remember with a game glitch but I read somewhere you can't import Pokemon from those two to the most recent because of a break in the link capability between Gen 2 and gen 3. :-\

Unless you can import direct from gen 1 to gen 3? I don't know, I never owned any past gen 3 until I bought X & Y recently.

Source:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

yeah hehe :) I was reading up on that aswell extensively before posting here^^ thanks nevertheless for the idea though :)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I remember doing the truck trick in Pokemon Blue. You fight the S. S. Anne captain to get HM01 (Cut, which enables you access to Lt. Surge's gym and the rest of the game), but rather than exit the boat you instead deliberately lose to one of its passengers in battle, so that you're magically spirited to the nearest Pokecenter without triggering the boat's departure once you leave it. That way access to the docks won't be revoked, and you'll be able to swim right towards that mystery truck once you have Surf and Stregth.

I tried all that, and while I was surprised enough to find the fucking truck, there's nothing to be done with it.

I tried a bunch of other tricks as well. Most of them were on Blue and usually involved Misty's city and the Nugget Bridge. Also something about the daycare outside Goldenrod in Gold. I forget what exactly.

They're all make belief. I think the only way of getting Mew was through a tournament or something like that. I refuse to believe anything else, I don't care if you post a video about this totally tried and true method.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Like has been said Mew is an event legendary which are the most difficult Pokemon to get. Since they're not that commonly available you probably won't find too many people with a legitimate extra Mew to trade (and if you they'll probably want another event legendary in exchange).

In order to get a Mew you have a few options:

1. Wait until another Mew event distribution occurs.

2. Find someone with a Mew who can clone it for you (it's a trick where you turn the game console off part-way through the trade process and you end up with a duplicate of one of the Pokemon). It's still technically a legitimate Pokemon (stats wise and everthing) but obviously gained through an exploit so I don't know how you feel about that.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I had a legitimate, non-glitch, Mew back in the day on my Pokémon Blue cartridge. It was traded to me by a cousin that went to a convention. He used the glitch with the Link Cable that allowed you to sacrifice one Pokémon during a trade in order to clone the other one so that we'd both have Mew when he decided later that he wanted it back. I then proceeded to trade additional Link Cable clones of my Mew to other middle school classmates in exchange for Pokémon trading cards (one person actually traded me a near-mint condition First Edition base set Charizard for it).

So for a while there Mew was actually ridiculously common in my town. These days though, I've got no idea where that cartridge went. Presumably it's still somewhere in my closet.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
In addition to the options that Elfgore listed, the third option would be to Pokegen a Mew or find someone willing to Pokegen a Mew for you. They're not too difficult to Pokegen in Black and White and trade forward through a few step to the current generation. In fact, if I had the time I'd do it for you but it would take me a while to set up the Pokegen program again and I have to go to work soon.

Johnny Novgorod said:
I remember doing the truck trick in Pokemon Blue. You fight the S. S. Anne captain to get HM01 (Cut, which enables you access to Lt. Surge's gym and the rest of the game), but rather than exit the boat you instead deliberately lose to one of its passengers in battle, so that you're magically spirited to the nearest Pokecenter without triggering the boat's departure once you leave it. That way access to the docks won't be revoked, and you'll be able to swim right towards that mystery truck once you have Surf and Stregth.

I tried all that, and while I was surprised enough to find the fucking truck, there's nothing to be done with it.

I tried a bunch of other tricks as well. Most of them were on Blue and usually involved Misty's city and the Nugget Bridge. Also something about the daycare outside Goldenrod in Gold. I forget what exactly.

They're all make belief. I think the only way of getting Mew was through a tournament or something like that. I refuse to believe anything else, I don't care if you post a video about this totally tried and true method.
The Nugget Bridge glitch worked in Red and Blue but was fixed in Yellow. The SS Anne one was bullshit though.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I still have Mew on my Pokemon Red cartridge from back in the day.

Got it when Nintendo came to my small town with their trucks and show.
T'was the height of Pokemania after all.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Got all 151 pokemon on red/blue back in the day so would have been able to help but highly doubt you live in my area, or even my country.

Haven't played newer pokemons so no clue if you can get a mew in a later game then trade back to an older version but it sounds like the kinda thing that would be possible.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I have one on my Red version but thanks to the break between gen 2 and gen 3, it will have to remain there til the end of time (or more realistically; the cartridge breaks). I tried every Mew glitch in the book but none worked, until I was at my cousins house one day and he announced that he had two so he traded me one. I felt so complete.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Those Mews on R/B/Y cartridges are probably long gone by now. I know the battery in mine died at the very least 4 years ago, and can't imagine the other ones lasting much longer.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Classic games, Gamegenie. Current gen run a pokemon black/white rom on a DS Lite with an R4 and transfer your "totally legit" mew to an actually legit black game, then with a 3DS move the desired pokemon from the Black cart to the pokebank and from there import to XY whatever.

If the XY whatever reads the pokemon as non-legit do the mew spawning on an older version than Black and trade it up. I haven't tried with mew but X never called any of my transfers hacked.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Johnny Novgorod said:

At least one isn't make-believe. I remember getting a Mew in Pokemon Blue, ages ago, following some set of arcane[footnote]For 'arcane', read 'glitchy'.[/footnote] instructions.

Swear to gawd. It's detailed on the wiki [http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch]-- the method I used was #1, the long-winded one.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
You can get a legit mew via Gameshark
The trick is that you need the original Emerald version and Gameshark (obviously), cheat the Eon ticket into your inventory and use it to get to Farwaway Island. The mew on this island is legit, the method used to get to the island is the cheating part, but that's inconsequential to the Pokemon. From that point, you can use the various transfer methods
(Pal Park [footnote]Diamond and Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver, Heart Gold[/footnote] > PokéTransfer [footnote]Black and White[/footnote] > Pokétransporter > Pokemon Bank) between versions to get it to the most recent generation.

It passes through Pokemon Bank quality check no problem. Although it's a lot of work and you'll need emerald version,GBA gameshark, two DS one of which needs to be backward compatible and a 3DS.

Might just be best waiting for a distribution. I'm sure they'll do another one sometime and each version makes it increasingly easier to get the legendaries. With the release of ORAS, we may even see a return of Farwaway Island mew in the future (although I would hope it's not tied again to the eon ticket, which is tied to street pass).

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
hmm well, after fiddling with everything for a bit..guess Ill just wait till an event pops up again hehe :) or maybe get lucky.. (might aswell play the lottery haha?) and get one through wonder trade.

Though to my own defense then...Ive caught about 20 machops, who are all now being trained to be Machokes so when I wondertrade them someone will atleast recieve a Machamp through that. Ive also caught about 10 Kangaskhan's and a few mawile's (seeing as they also seemed quite hard to get from my experience atleast..), seeing as the Kangaskhan's seem to be version exclusive (and quite rare in that bloody cave if I may add.....) so that will also be nice to recieve if theres a person who has X and doesnt have the possibility to get it etc.

Nevertheless though, I thank you all for your explanations etc, really helped me out a bunch :)

Sidenote: And Vanq hehe, if your extremely bored some day and do that, Id be absolutely flattered haha, but please dont go out of your way to do all that :)

Edit: It seems Kangaskhan isnt version exclusive...Im facepalming at the moment...ah well..still rare I guess...

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
There is one way to get a 100% legitimate Mew, though I'm unsure if it is still possible, as I don't know if 'My pokemon ranch' is still available on the Wii shop. I will take some effort and time as it requires you to transfer 999 pokemon from Diamond or Pearl onto the ranch and then you have trade an egg for it. As far as I know that is the only non-event method available.