BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hell, even Sonic is doing it
While you're not wrong, this isn't the first time Sonic has experimented with an semi-open world before. Granted, in SA1 and Sonic Unleashed, those were open hub world areas, but they still somewhat count. Sonic 06 tried a similar thing, but......yeeeeeehhhhh.

Last edited:

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
I'm obviously not saying that EVERY game out there are actually copying BotW, just a bit of sarcasm. I just find it amusing how many games saw its formula and success and dropped everything to be like it. Hell, even Sonic is doing it
Not that surprising, B(O)TW.
Skyrim came out a decade ago, it was time for another zeitgeist for the "open world" games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
^ To be fair that's an early development screenshot. Since then they've at least reached skyrim level (on low end PC).

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
I am actually hoping Arceus can change the formula just enough from the gameplay perspective to move the needle just enough damn it that is all I want.

Graphically it can do better like Sword and Shield was not the best with the wild area but places like Balloonea at least had some style.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm a bit late to this thread but I'm going to say gamefreak wasn't ever good with graphics, They have done mostly handheld games until the switch, so the fact the game looks ass does not surprise me one bit.
I think my biggest problem is that this isn't really an excuse. Pokemon makes more fucking money than God and even if the studio hasn't done graphics before, they surely have the budget and ability to hire a team that can make the game decent looking regardless of the platform. I mean fuck, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey look fucking amazing on the Switch. There is no reason that a brand new game from the BIGGEST franchise on the planet should look like a shitty Bethesda game from 2004. That's my whole issue. What are they doing with all that money, going on cocaine benders?

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
I think my biggest problem is that this isn't really an excuse. Pokemon makes more fucking money than God and even if the studio hasn't done graphics before, they surely have the budget and ability to hire a team that can make the game decent looking regardless of the platform. I mean fuck, Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey look fucking amazing on the Switch. There is no reason that a brand new game from the BIGGEST franchise on the planet should look like a shitty Bethesda game from 2004. That's my whole issue. What are they doing with all that money, going on cocaine benders?
I'm not justifying them being lazy. I'm just saying I'm not surprised

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not justifying them being lazy. I'm just saying I'm not surprised
Honestly I am kind of surprised to be honest. GameFreak is a Nintendo studio and Nintendo isn't really known for rushing shit out the door to make a quick buck. MOST of what Nintendo puts out is quality. And even if they aren't top notch in the graphical department, you can at least count on Nintendo games to not be buggy, not have weird graphical issues, that sort of thing.

I mean how fucking long did people wait for Breath of the Wild. I don't think they are rushing to pump shit out. And since Nintendo has that level of quality for the most part, I'm surprised they are letting GameFreak get away with basically making their shit look bad. Especially since they just released a main-line remake set of games to bring in plenty of income of the fiscal year/quarter.

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Honestly I am kind of surprised to be honest. GameFreak is a Nintendo studio and Nintendo isn't really known for rushing shit out the door to make a quick buck. MOST of what Nintendo puts out is quality. And even if they aren't top notch in the graphical department, you can at least count on Nintendo games to not be buggy, not have weird graphical issues, that sort of thing.

I mean how fucking long did people wait for Breath of the Wild. I don't think they are rushing to pump shit out. And since Nintendo has that level of quality for the most part, I'm surprised they are letting GameFreak get away with basically making their shit look bad. Especially since they just released a main-line remake set of games to bring in plenty of income of the fiscal year/quarter.
Nintendo does not own GameFreak, they own a big share in pokemon, the same with HAL where Nintendo only owns a big share in Kirby. both companies can make games not on Nintendo console as long as it doesn't involve those IP. The big difference is HAL has a fantastic relationship with Nintendo so they listen to them more often. Nintendo and GameFreak relationship I've heard it's somewhat more mixed. (I heard once the CEO of game freak or the Pokemon company said console gaming was done and mobile was the future.) and since Pokemon still prints money Nintendo is more hands-off when they make games.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I've heard some pretty good things about this game. Having now watched some gameplay, it does looks like a simple but effective evolution of the Pokémon formula.

I honestly wont be surprised if this is seen as the best in the series so far.

Its actually (very slightly) piqued my interest, despite my love for the franchise having died over a decade ago.

Its still fucking ugly though. A face only a Pokémon fanboy could love.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've heard some pretty good things about this game. Having now watched some gameplay, it does looks like a simple but effective evolution of the Pokémon formula.

I honestly wont be surprised if this is seen as the best in the series so far.

Its actually (very slightly) piqued my interest, despite my love for the franchise having died over a decade ago.

Its still fucking ugly though. A face only a Pokémon fanboy could love.
I have to pick up my copy later today. I will update the thread with impressions sometime this weekend probably

Reactions: Silvanus

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
So been Arceus and I can this is good not perfect but this is the step in the right direction I have been wanting for Pokemon.

Not too far in but first off graphics are functionally playing hand held you get the pop in and pokemon move funny but on big screen no issues noticed. I swear some of the sound effects came from BoTW but I am fine with that.

The engagment is what changes it. You can catch pokemon without battling and battling is like a last resort if you run into a pokemon who wants to make you into a RIP hashtag. Also the open aspect is great. You can follow the story beats but I spent and hour fucking off and catching and observing pokemon and I am glad the game allows. Important story plot points fuck that I need to hunt this Abra who keeps fucking teleporting away.

Now I have not gotten that far yet but so far I am liking the narrative. Pokemon study is the brand new thing because many people rightfully don't want anything to do with animal that can control the elements or are living sentient versions of those elements. That premise is great and not going to far in cause I can't figure how to spoiler and I have not gotten that far.

Also to many pokemon fans I am getting ..............challenge. Yes that challenge many pokemon fans have been want. Not that Dark Souls punish me daddy meme nonsense challenge but something keep you on your toes and not breeze on through like I have not been playing this series for years.

Not doene with it just an early impression but so far the good is outweighing the bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not that Dark Souls punish me daddy meme nonsense challenge but something keep you on your toes and not breeze on through like I have not been playing this series for years.
Dark Souls is for baby masochists. Ninja Gaiden is the real punish me daddy bullshit.

Reactions: Leg End

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Dark Souls is for baby masochists. Ninja Gaiden is the real punish me daddy bullshit.

So to throw my gaming esoteric chops on the the line Prinny Can I be a Hero one or two makes both Souls and Gaiden look like Babies for the DS.

Also god help you playing Rayman 1 on the PS1 cause that shit was never play tested.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Prinny Can I be a Hero one or two makes both Souls and Gaiden look like Babies for the DS.
At least you get unlimited continues in Can I Be a Hero?. Comix Zone, you can only get up to three at best. Playing the game without save states is a total nightmare. Not like Rayman 1, but still bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leg End