Pokemon Black Lacks Magic

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
jjboat said:
I'm guessing 3 on 3 battling was enough for you.

I havent finished the game. I'll be honest, I've been busy. We just had our intermural Hockey playoffs and finals in college, and I've been slightly busy. But so far the story has been good. The tension thats growing between the Elders and N of Team Plasma is interesting.

But fine. What changes would you like to see. Specifically, that are drastic changes, but still reboot?

All cities feel the same in any of the games. The only few cities I can remember as being different in the entire series of the game was Lavender for having the tower, Goldenrod for the radio station, Sootupolis (probably spelled that wrong) because you actually had to dive to get to it, and hearthome because it had a Religious structure. Oh, and Violet City because of the Sprout Tower, but only cause I thought if was the most retarded "legend" for a building (really, a Bellsprout grew THAT tall and NO ONE thought to try and catch it, or the citizens didnt try to stop it incase its head grew too heavy for its bad and collapsed, destroying the town?). But thats just me, and my opinions shouldnt be everyones.

As for the designs of the pokemon, I've said it before and will say it again, there are always garbage designs (which is funny case we actually HAVE a garbage design). The creaters have to keep making new designs for new pokemon, plus update old ones. And even when they started (in red and blue) the pokemon didnt look that great. Charizard looked like he had down syndrome, magnamar looked like a water baby, and mewtwo like he was constipated.

As for the HMs, what do you expect? You cant have it both ways. EVERYONE bitched that they didnt want them, and then everyone bitched that they had Dive, whihc was possibly one of the worst HMs (both in game use and competitively). They still have HMs, and at least they fixed that TM debacle.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
jjboat said:
I'm guessing 3 on 3 battling was enough for you.

I havent finished the game. I'll be honest, I've been busy. We just had our intermural Hockey playoffs and finals in college, and I've been slightly busy. But so far the story has been good. The tension thats growing between the Elders and N of Team Plasma is interesting.

But fine. What changes would you like to see. Specifically, that are drastic changes, but still reboot?

All cities feel the same in any of the games. The only few cities I can remember as being different in the entire series of the game was Lavender for having the tower, Goldenrod for the radio station, Sootupolis (probably spelled that wrong) because you actually had to dive to get to it, and hearthome because it had a Religious structure. Oh, and Violet City because of the Sprout Tower, but only cause I thought if was the most retarded "legend" for a building (really, a Bellsprout grew THAT tall and NO ONE thought to try and catch it, or the citizens didnt try to stop it incase its head grew too heavy for its bad and collapsed, destroying the town?). But thats just me, and my opinions shouldnt be everyones.

As for the designs of the pokemon, I've said it before and will say it again, there are always garbage designs (which is funny case we actually HAVE a garbage design). The creaters have to keep making new designs for new pokemon, plus update old ones. And even when they started (in red and blue) the pokemon didnt look that great. Charizard looked like he had down syndrome, magnamar looked like a water baby, and mewtwo like he was constipated.

As for the HMs, what do you expect? You cant have it both ways. EVERYONE bitched that they didnt want them, and then everyone bitched that they had Dive, whihc was possibly one of the worst HMs (both in game use and competitively). They still have HMs, and at least they fixed that TM debacle.
Triple battles are cool, all 5 of them. Even if they have more later on i wish they would have had a little more faith in the players and let us play them more while we were collecting gym badges.

TM's with infinate uses are brilliant. I always thought a better way to impliment HM's would be moves that were only used outside of battle that any pokemon capable of using them would be able to. For instance if you had a water pokemon you could surf on the water, once you had
unlocked it. That way Hidden moves could be a part of the game without having to take up one of the 4 spaces pokemon have for attacks. You could still build the perfect team without having to make that sacrifice. Also a change in setting would be cool. maybe you could travel to the past similiar to a link to the past, and catch prehistoric or extinct pokemon. Maybe you could travel to a different planet. Pehaps you could you use fly to reach a flying city or dive down to find an underwater kingdom. Maybe the Player could be older and have a more complex plot that didnt involve gym badges or the league. On the 3ds I hope they make the game fully 3d, that would be a great step forward. For battle mechanics, maybe battling in a certain type of terrain could be better for certain pokemon. These are just off the top of my head, but what id really like is for these designers who know this series backwards and forth to take some risks and surprise me.

The Towns in Ruby were awesome, everyone had an entirely different look and the routes leading to them were unique. Even diamond had some cool ones. Black and white just felt same-ish the whole way though.

As for the pokemon designs, black and white have by far the worst, most of them are too bland or ugly to even make them desirable to train. They've had some bad ones in the past, but I've played through most of the game and only been able to choose 3 i want to train, while in the previous games i was always conflicted by the amount of cool pokemon i had and which ones i wanted to focus on.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
Wondermint13 said:
jjboat said:
Pokemon Black and White lack the magic that made the greater games so wonderful.
Well written peice but this quote here pretty much sums-it-up for pokemon now.
I am speaking as a loyalist to the first 150 pokemon so its easy for me to say Black and White suck.

But if I had to sound fair then I'd simply say that pokemon -has- lost its magic. It is still a good game but not what it was, as a player and collecter from Day 1 I am saddened to see so many "poke'fans" believeing that anything above the first 250 is actually better. The pokemon are getting more and more typical with ideas that have already been done and these new evolutions are an insult to the original 150, just take Lickatung's evolution.. he gets hair and a little fatter.. hardly an evolution and we also come back to the Hitmonchan / Hitmonlee idea but instead its just two guys in karate outfits of a different colour, another orignal idea beaten alive. And I'm sorry, nothing beats Team Rocket! The outfits were simple and they actually looked like bad guys!
The enviroment puzzles got a little harder and a few more types and moves are introduced in the game and we're all fooled into thinking that pokemon franchise has also 'evolved'.
See the light children!
While i am not a loyalist to the older games, and always have high hopes and an open mind with each new game, I have to disagree about team rocket. I feel like Team Plasma has the potential to be as good but the execution is poor. a bad guy that isn't a gang-like team would be nice. AND YEA those two fighting types are stupid. I've never like the pokemon that are wearing clothes though, i mean how can you call it a "wild" pokemon when they are obviously civilized enough to wear clothing on their own?

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
jjboat said:
Priority Moves also made things huge for the competitive play. With the Phys/Spec attack split I mean.
Can't speak much for competitive play since i play the game mostly for my own solitary enjoyment. While i appreciate the competitive aspect, the single player game is still really the most important part, and I feel they've really dropped the ball on that front.

Rimefrost

Mar 30, 2009
Before Pokemon Black I had only played Red, Ruby and SoulSilver and I have to say that Black is by far my favorite. A bunch of friends of mine got it and we all chose different starters and I really ended up enjoying it more than I was expecting. Infinite TM's are great, the story was good, the ending was interesting and the Elite 4 were awesome!

My only "issue" with it was that there weren't a lot of Pokemon designs that I particularly liked (Eelektross, Serperior, Hydreigon, and Reshiram being among my favorites). But once you beat the main story the Pokemon from the other gens become available and I immediately raised a Flygon and Altaria.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
I'd also like to point out that we hold almost every one of Nintendo's most famous series' to a high standard. Even when Mario Galaxy came out a lot of people complained that it was like Mario 64 in space. Legend of Zelda gets a lot of flack for sticking to its formula, even when huge additions are made like ocean travel or being able to transform into a wolf.

I am not saying pokemon Black is a bad game. In fact its a very solid game that plays better than any of the previous games in the series. But it is not a perfect game, nor is it a game that deserves the high scores it gets by critics. Famitsu gave it a perfect 40/40, an honor that very few games have ever garnered. The majority of reviews give it an 8.5 or higher. Even the escapist gave it a 5/5. What does that say to me? it says that its a game that is nearly flawless with very little room to improve. But that is simply not the case. 10 years ago this may have been a perfect game, but the standard has to be raised eventually, it is time the series stopped coasting on its past success and try to really blow us away. It just feels like the passion is gone, that the designers have given up. If you are going to spend 4 years making something, with the hefty budget I'm sure they are working with, they should have the ambition to make something phenomenal, instead they have settled with making tweaks. and huge ass bridges.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
jjboat said:
Triple battles are cool, all 5 of them. Even if they have more later on i wish they would have had a little more faith in the players and let us play them more while we were collecting gym badges.

Babysteps. they have to test the waters. i remember when double battles were introduced, and they didnt have many of them. If triple battles had sucked, and the game bogged down, it was would have alienated a lot of people out of the game without them finishing.

TM's with infinate uses are brilliant. I always thought a better way to impliment HM's would be moves that were only used outside of battle that any pokemon capable of using them would be able to. For instance if you had a water pokemon you could surf on the water, once you had
unlocked it. That way Hidden moves could be a part of the game without having to take up one of the 4 spaces pokemon have for attacks. You could still build the perfect team without having to make that sacrifice.

While some HMs are bad, HMs such as Surf, Waterfall, Strength (sometimes) have been amazing for battling. surf continues to be one of the most reliable STAB Sp. Atk Water moves, with Waterfall being its physical Counterpart. Strength provides a nice powerful STAB normal move (though its sometimes more rare unless you go to special tournaments/battles. You cant just take away those moves, and its hard to have pokemon that learn Surf or Waterfall and arent Water/wouldnt have cause to learn them naturally.

Also a change in setting would be cool. maybe you could travel to the past similiar to a link to the past, and catch prehistoric or extinct pokemon. Maybe you could travel to a different planet. Pehaps you could you use fly to reach a flying city or dive down to find an underwater kingdom. Maybe the Player could be older and have a more complex plot that didnt involve gym badges or the league. On the 3ds I hope they make the game fully 3d, that would be a great step forward. For battle mechanics, maybe battling in a certain type of terrain could be better for certain pokemon. These are just off the top of my head, but what id really like is for these designers who know this series backwards and forth to take some risks and surprise me.

I'm pretty sure they tested the waters with Sootupolis City, and people didnt like it (which is probably why Dive went away for a Generation). But I would agree with you there.

The Towns in Ruby were awesome, everyone had an entirely different look and the routes leading to them were unique. Even diamond had some cool ones. Black and white just felt same-ish the whole way though.

I didnt think so. I know of the towns, of all the towns, but none of them by name (EDIT: outside a select few and hte ones that were named after colours). But then again, there are people with different opinions (such as you and I). The one in Ruby (which alot of people say is the weakest generation in the series for some reason) where you fought the flying type gym leader was really the only visually different city, mainly cause it was built into a forest and you had to use those ladder things to get around. ANd the routes to each was always the same closed in grass or water. With Black and white, you get the forest (a constant staple) that actually looks like a forest with fallen dead trees that have been hollowed out, a Golden Gate style bridge that is precadented only by the bike routes they had in games in aspects of scale and magnitude, a Desert with sand that pokemon hide, and a section that actually showed the Pokemon Games were actually advancing in the world, with a large interstate that had trucks drive over it. it even looked like there was new buildings being built, like you think if you come back after a season or two, a new town will be there waiting for you.

As for the pokemon designs, black and white have by far the worst, most of them are too bland or ugly to even make them desirable to train. They've had some bad ones in the past, but I've played through most of the game and only been able to choose 3 i want to train, while in the previous games i was always conflicted by the amount of cool pokemon i had and which ones i wanted to focus on.
Designs are always hit or miss. I personally didnt care for most of the Gen 3 designs, they just felt uninspired (Tropius, Keckleon, Beautifly [we have butterfree] and Dustox [we have venamoth], slaking, and many more). I've loved the designs so far and its been difficult choosing who I should train. But then again, designs were never very important to me, it was always about the stats (as it really should be, otherwise you'll be dragging your as behind you after your opponent kicked it).

But then again, thats differing opinions. Though you shouldnt fault the company on something so personal opinion based. Its not like they built these pokemon JUST for you. And yeah, you can say people hate them other then you, but as long as there's ONE person that likes the design, its not a waste.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
jjboat said:

Babysteps. they have to test the waters. i remember when double battles were introduced, and they didnt have many of them. If triple battles had sucked, and the game bogged down, it was would have alienated a lot of people out of the game without them finishing.

unlocked it. That way Hidden moves could be a part of the game without having to take up one of the 4 spaces pokemon have for attacks. You could still build the perfect team without having to make that sacrifice.

While some HMs are bad, HMs such as Surf, Waterfall, Strength (sometimes) have been amazing for battling. surf continues to be one of the most reliable STAB Sp. Atk Water moves, with Waterfall being its physical Counterpart. Strength provides a nice powerful STAB normal move (though its sometimes more rare unless you go to special tournaments/battles. You cant just take away those moves, and its hard to have pokemon that learn Surf or Waterfall and arent Water/wouldnt have cause to learn them naturally.

Also a change in setting would be cool. maybe you could travel to the past similiar to a link to the past, and catch prehistoric or extinct pokemon. Maybe you could travel to a different planet. Pehaps you could you use fly to reach a flying city or dive down to find an underwater kingdom. Maybe the Player could be older and have a more complex plot that didnt involve gym badges or the league. On the 3ds I hope they make the game fully 3d, that would be a great step forward. For battle mechanics, maybe battling in a certain type of terrain could be better for certain pokemon. These are just off the top of my head, but what id really like is for these designers who know this series backwards and forth to take some risks and surprise me.

I'm pretty sure they tested the waters with Sootupolis City, and people didnt like it (which is probably why Dive went away for a Generation). But I would agree with you there.

I didnt think so. I know of the towns, of all the towns, but none of them by name (EDIT: outside a select few and hte ones that were named after colours). But then again, there are people with different opinions (such as you and I). The one in Ruby (which alot of people say is the weakest generation in the series for some reason) where you fought the flying type gym leader was really the only visually different city, mainly cause it was built into a forest and you had to use those ladder things to get around. ANd the routes to each was always the same closed in grass or water. With Black and white, you get the forest (a constant staple) that actually looks like a forest with fallen dead trees that have been hollowed out, a Golden Gate style bridge that is precadented only by the bike routes they had in games in aspects of scale and magnitude, a Desert with sand that pokemon hide, and a section that actually showed the Pokemon Games were actually advancing in the world, with a large interstate that had trucks drive over it. it even looked like there was new buildings being built, like you think if you come back after a season or two, a new town will be there waiting for you.

Designs are always hit or miss. I personally didnt care for most of the Gen 3 designs, they just felt uninspired (Tropius, Keckleon, Beautifly [we have butterfree] and Dustox [we have venamoth], slaking, and many more). I've loved the designs so far and its been difficult choosing who I should train. But then again, designs were never very important to me, it was always about the stats (as it really should be, otherwise you'll be dragging your as behind you after your opponent kicked it).

But then again, thats differing opinions. Though you shouldnt fault the company on something so personal opinion based. Its not like they built these pokemon JUST for you. And yeah, you can say people hate them other then you, but as long as there's ONE person that likes the design, its not a waste.
haha alright you've put up a very good and intelligent fight :) I could keep going but this is one of those awful agree to disagree moments. However you have opened my eyes to some of the things i hadn't thought about, even if it ended up reinforcing my own opinion. So I tip my hat to you sir, well played. Now I'm going to go finish this damn game.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
jjboat said:
emeraldrafael said:
jjboat said:

haha alright you've put up a very good and intelligent fight :) I could keep going but this is one of those awful agree to disagree moments. However you have opened my eyes to some of the things i hadn't thought about, even if it ended up reinforcing my own opinion. So I tip my hat to you sir, well played. Now I'm going to go finish this damn game.
XD No owrries. I'll agree to disagree. Its better, and this way there's no fight. I should go and finish mine too, I only have three badges. XD

Doctor Glocktor

Aug 1, 2009
Hms that are mandatory have been a blight on the series since gen 1.

Black and White are the cure. The sexy, incredible cure.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
Doctor Glocktor said:
Hms that are mandatory have been a blight on the series since gen 1.

Black and White are the cure. The sexy, incredible cure.
Felt the same, but now i miss them. added a lot of variety to the journey. Like I said in an earlier post though, they could find ways to implement them without having them take up a move slot.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
okay guys, for those of you who claim that the 1st gen was the best, I once thought so too, so I booted up my gameboy put red in it and guess what? it wasn't as fun as I remembered it. So, now you may have legitimate reasons to like the original set better, I want you to boot up your gameboy, put your red or blue cartridge in there and play the game as the adult that you weren't back then.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
theheroofaction said:
okay guys, for those of you who claim that the 1st gen was the best, I once thought so too, so I booted up my gameboy put red in it and guess what? it wasn't as fun as I remembered it. So, now you may have legitimate reasons to like the original set better, I want you to boot up your gameboy, put your red or blue cartridge in there and play the game as the adult that you weren't back then.
I totally agree, i am not biased to gen 1. looking at gen 1 vs gen 5 objectively, gen 1's pokemon are much better. Gen 5 is superior in play, but considering its been 15 years it should be better. Gen 2 is my favorite because it represents the biggest leap for the series.

Mittens The Kitten

Dec 19, 2010
Balderdash said:
Before Pokemon Black I had only played Red, Ruby and SoulSilver and I have to say that Black is by far my favorite. A bunch of friends of mine got it and we all chose different starters and I really ended up enjoying it more than I was expecting. Infinite TM's are great, the story was good, the ending was interesting and the Elite 4 were awesome!

My only "issue" with it was that there weren't a lot of Pokemon designs that I particularly liked (Eelektross, Serperior, Hydreigon, and Reshiram being among my favorites). But once you beat the main story the Pokemon from the other gens become available and I immediately raised a Flygon and Altaria.
The problem with the infinite TMs is that I ended up rearanging my team's moveset before and after particular fights (looks like im in the lightning gymn, everyone gets to know dig for the next half hour!). It's new, but i think that the moves are supposed to have at least some sense of permanency.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
too be honest i have never played a pokemon game i only watched the anime till they did that annoying voice actor change

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
jjboat said:
snipsnipsnip
Okay first off I know that some of my faves are from each gen but hey as they say, opinion is subjective

You do, however have a valid point here, just the new poke's aren't enough to make a good team, A lot of them really aren't that cool. The major flaw with B/W is that unless you import a team, you don't get to play all your favorites from the past for a long while. In the 3rd Gen people thought a lot of the new poke's were dumb, BUT, people could make a team only partially out of the new guys, whereas that isn't possible through normal B/W play.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
theheroofaction said:
jjboat said:
snipsnipsnip
Okay first off I know that some of my faves are from each gen but hey as they say, opinion is subjective

You do, however have a valid point here, just the new poke's aren't enough to make a good team, A lot of them really aren't that cool. The major flaw with B/W is that unless you import a team, you don't get to play all your favorites from the past for a long while. In the 3rd Gen people thought a lot of the new poke's were dumb, BUT, people could make a team only partially out of the new guys, whereas that isn't possible through normal B/W play.
Yeah the idea of a game with all new pokemon is good on paper, but in play it is a little bit underwhelming. I would rather they had used some older ones and made new ones that filled in certain gaps like types that hadn't been combined before. Plus im sick of the fire starter evolving into a fire/ fighting type. Why the hell can't i have a straight fire type?

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
jjboat said:
theheroofaction said:
jjboat said:
snipsnipsnip

Yeah the idea of a game with all new pokemon is good on paper, but in play it is a little bit underwhelming. I would rather they had used some older ones and made new ones that filled in certain gaps like types that hadn't been combined before. Plus im sick of the fire starter evolving into a fire/ fighting type. Why the hell can't i have a straight fire type?
The first and second parts have been done. Three times. People complained the exact opposite. The second part is because the Fire/insert type here combination allows for different movesets and strategies. Why fire/fighting? I do not know, but probably because it is popular.

jjboat

Nov 8, 2010
Xpwn3ntial said:
jjboat said:
theheroofaction said:
jjboat said:
snipsnipsnip

The first and second parts have been done. Three times. People complained the exact opposite. The second part is because the Fire/insert type here combination allows for different movesets and strategies. Why fire/fighting? I do not know, but probably because it is popular.
Popular? i dont know why fire and fighting have to be combined though we have too many of those. People complained but the bottom line is that if they make all new pokemon they'll end up being nearly identical stat wise to many of the older ones. Just cause you don't have to see a ratata any more doesn't mean you wont be fighting a rodent type normal pokemon with a similar move set way too frequently.