Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Yoshi178 said:
Marik2 said:
Yoshi178 said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Well that was underwhelming for a Switch Title
How so?

people wanted a new core Pokemon RPG game. BAM! you got one.

i don't see what else you were expecting from this?
People wanted a huge region to travel in for a console pokemon game. This region kinda looks like a corridor.
People wanted a completely different game you mean. not a Pokemon game.

Pokemon was never an open world game. go play RDR2 if you want open world.
No. Bad Yoshi. You know that even Kanto felt more expansive than this image.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
undeadsuitor said:
Marik2 said:
I wonder if the game is going to get more dumbed down.

Outside of spin-off games like Lets Go, how have the games been dumbed down?
Super training.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Super_Training

Defeating another Pokemon not only gives you Exp, also Pokemon stats go slightly up (this is a thing since the first game). The stats that go up depend on the species of the defeated Pokemon. Super Training not only gives you a visual representation of how the stats have been increased, it lets you skip that noise, and increase specific stats without fighting.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
Marik2 said:
I do hope we get to battle Chavs and wankers.
Who be that scrumpet that is your avatar?
https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.265760-You-know-youve-been-on-the-Escapist-too-long-when?page=55#24291738

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
So the evil team du jour is going to be... Team King? Team Rook(et) with a Chess motif? Team Wanker? Team Brexit?

Whatever the case, it looks good so far, hope the map is large. I like the grass starter.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, did Nintendo run out of stuff that even remotely resembled colours for their titles?

Also, does this mean that at some point in the game we'll get a bunch of Pokemon defending the trainer declaring "I am your shield, I am your sword"?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
WhiteFangofWhoa said:
So the evil team du jour is going to be... Team King? Team Rook(et) with a Chess motif? Team Wanker? Team Brexit?

Whatever the case, it looks good so far, hope the map is large. I like the grass starter.
Theres probably going to be an evil team that will be a not so subtle allegory for Brexit.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
WhiteFangofWhoa said:

Well Team Skull were pretty much a pastiche on American gang-bangers so I'm thinking we're either getting Chavs (the rough British analogue) or we might get something really fucking weird like a gang based on Ronnie and Reggie Kray

Feb 26, 2014
I'm really excited about this. Can't wait to see the new ghost types. And Scorbunny is obviously gonna join me on my first adventure. Sobble for the inevitable, heart-wrenching Nuzlocke! Now that this is checked off I want a Mystery Dungeon game to be revealed next.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I honestly can't remember the last time I had a fire-type starter. Flamebunny looks awesome, though.

WhiteFangofWhoa said:
Team John Oliver.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Hell to the yes. Something to sustain me for the rest of the year!

Now to avoid as much info as I possibly can. I went into Sun and Moon knowing A) the starters first forms/names, B) Hawaii, C) Solgaleo/Lunala, D) the Grubbin line, Drampa, and Tapu Koko, E) no HMs, and F) literally nothing else, and had an absolute blast discovering things in-game. I want to recreate that. Definitely getting Shield, unless some information crosses the barrier that makes Sword just that overwhelmingly appealing.

None of the starters grabbed me by the heartstrings to the extent Litten did, but that's setting the bar stratospherically-high, so I'll have to think about that for a bit.

Samtemdo8 said:
Grookey is best starter.
Grass Monkey!
That funky Monkey!
Grass Monkey junkie
That funky Monkey

...I'm legit bummed there's still not enough info for me to fully adapt that Beastie Boys song. >_>

Gordon_4 said:
Well, looks like I?m buying a Switch.
Aye. Somehow, I always knew it was going to be the Gen 8 Pokemon game that would finally tip me over the edge.

CaitSeith said:
https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Super_Training

Defeating another Pokemon not only gives you Exp, also Pokemon stats go slightly up (this is a thing since the first game). The stats that go up depend on the species of the defeated Pokemon. Super Training not only gives you a visual representation of how the stats have been increased, it lets you skip that noise, and increase specific stats without fighting.
Ooh, I wonder if there's gonna be a PokePelago equivalent in this game.

Maybe it'll be Ireland.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
PapaGreg096 said:
Also what are the chances do you think the fire starter is going to be fire/fighting
I'm going all-in on it being something absolutely crazy like fire/ice. And the others will be water/fighting and grass/flying.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Hawki said:
So, did Nintendo run out of stuff that even remotely resembled colours for their titles?

Also, does this mean that at some point in the game we'll get a bunch of Pokemon defending the trainer declaring "I am your shield, I am your sword"?
I think this approach is much better than using a bunch of weird unrelated colors that will make people stop and break out Wikipedia. Any kind of thematically appropriate duo can work. Heads and Tails. Order and Chaos. Ebony and Ivory. Time and Space.

Given the setting here I'm hoping to see lots of Pokes and locations reflecting a long history of knights, magicians and heroes, perhaps a few abandoned castles. Maybe a Poke-chess mini game.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I like the starters to my surprise. That water one is going to evolve into something amazing (it better) and the bunny better have a form called Hopanero. The region looks pretty solid too!

Just please, don't be like Sun and Moon. That's my only need. Just don't grab my hand and force me to play shitty mini-games or alternate forms of battles and let me maybe actually explore a little bit.