Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's New Mega Evolutions Revealed

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's New Mega Evolutions Revealed

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire's three starters have now had their Mega Evolutions revealed..

When Pokemon X and Y was released last year, one of the biggest changes it brought with it was the Serebii [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126697-Pokemon-X-and-Y-Introduces-Mega-Evolutions] has obtained scans from Japanese magazine CoroCoro that show just that: Mega Evolutions for the remaining two Generation III starters (Sceptile and Swampert), as well as its two "Mascot Legendaries" (Groudon and Kyogre).

It also appears that Diancie, one of Pokemon X and Y's distribution-exclusive legendaries [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132265-Pokemon-X-and-Ys-First-Distribution-Exclusive-Legendary-Revealed], is also getting her own Mega Evolution.

Check them out, as well as images of the updated player characters and rival, below:

[gallery=2628]

Mega Sceptile is Grass/Dragon-type while the others maintain their original typing. Mega Diancie's ability is currently listed as ??? while Mega Sceptile has Lightning Rod and Mega Swampert has Swift Swim. Blaziken, the third Generation III starter, has already had a Mega Evolution since the launch of Pokemon X and Y.

It's worth noting that the magazine describes Groudon and Kyogre's new "Mega Evolutions" a little differently. It refers to them as a regression called "Ancient Devolution", and the Pokemon become "Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre" instead of the usual "Mega".

Source: Serebii [http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml]

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Well, my excitement has greatly increased! Some new megas for the competitive scene are absolutely welcome. I'm guessing we might also get a Mega Metagross? If recall that's Steven's signature Pokemon.

Edit: It appears Steven might be using Mega Charizard instead. That's horrible. I'm upset.

JoJoDelight

Jan 13, 2014
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
I don't think that's the rival... looks too old. I suspect that's Steven instead
Yeah, that's definitely Steven.

OT: Mega-Sceptile being Grass/Dragon is boss, though it's 4x weakness to Ice and it's Mega Ability (LightningRod really?) kinda takes away from that. Mega Swampert meanwhile I really don't have an opinion on.
What I really care about now is whether characterisation will return, seeing as Brendan's changed skintone and May's changed outfit will both lead to bitching without opportunities to change them.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
JoJoDelight said:
OT: Mega-Sceptile being Grass/Dragon is boss, though it's 4x weakness to Ice and it's Mega Ability (LightningRod really?) kinda takes away from that. Mega Swampert meanwhile I really don't have an opinion on.
What I really care about now is whether characterisation will return, seeing as Brendan's changed skintone and May's changed outfit will both lead to bitching without opportunities to change them.
Sceptile is a Sp.Atk sweeper, Lightning Rod boosts his Sp.Atk, at least it's more interesting than Overgrow.

And a 4x Ice weakness never stopped Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, Gliscor etc from reking people's shit.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Mega Blaziken? Now that's just uncalled for. He's already banned in competitive play.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Am I the only one seeing Kyogre getting hit by a blast of spunk from Groudon in the 4th picture? XD

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Mega Swampert is thinking "ENOUGH OF THE FUCKING MUDKIP JOKES!" I think what gets me is that Diancie is also getting a Mega form. I wonder what new Mega forms we'll see, if there will be new ones.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
While I always love me some images from things I await the release for, the picture for the Primal legendaries is a little disturbing, seeing as Kyogre is spraying Groudon with fluids from its crotch.

Otherwise, good to know that the other two Honen starters get Mega Evolutions (even if I'm not terribly crazy about the looks), and Team Aqua and Magma's redesigns are... buh...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
MrMixelPixel said:
Well, my excitement has greatly increased! Some new megas for the competitive scene are absolutely welcome. I'm guessing we might also get a Mega Metagross? If recall that's Steven's signature Pokemon.

Edit: It appears Steven might be using Mega Charizard instead. That's horrible. I'm upset.
it may or may not happen, seeing as the one on display is level 100 and that doesn't sound like something they would do to the children

secondly, metagross now has this big old dark/ghost weakness so that might put a damper on the nostalgia trip

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
soren7550 said:
While I always love me some images from things I await the release for, the picture for the Primal legendaries is a little disturbing, seeing as Kyogre is spraying Groudon with fluids from its crotch.

Otherwise, good to know that the other two Honen starters get Mega Evolutions (even if I'm not terribly crazy about the looks), and Team Aqua and Magma's redesigns are... buh...
I can understand the redesigns being bit difficult to deal with but hopefully these guys'll get more characterization then the original incarnations. I found them completely forgettable when I was a kid and didn't even notice that they weren't actually grunts till years later.

I guess I'll be going for Swampert this game since I like it's mega although I kinda hate weather based abilities since you kinda need to base your whole team around it for full benefit. I already have a Blazekin from my first playthrough that I want to transfer up so it'll finally be able to come home.

Sceptile with Lightning Rod is actually pretty good. It gets much harder to paralyze and you could team it up with something that can spam electric moves.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Goddess I hope they let you customize your character's outfit, the defaults are just... bleh.

Especially the hair, I really don't want to have to go the entire game with my hair looking like a giant inverted V stuck on my face. I mean I know that the original girl trainer was just a copy of May's character design but atleast she had her hair brushed to the sides like a human being hypothetically would as supposed to combed in front of her face (headbands are typically used to keep your hair BACK Nintendo).
I get that they're supposed to look like updated versions of the original character designs...
But I hope they still give you the option to change your appearance if you want to like they did in X/Y.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I loved Mega Swampert since it pretty much look like its on steroid. While Sceptile look slightly better but I still put off with its designs (I know the yellow balls on its back and the barb tails are reference to some lizard but it still look silly).
Great I am now torn at picking either Mudkip or Tourchic (in Ruby I had Mudkip but I don't want to repeat using the same Pokemon in the Omega Ruby).

KINGBeerZ

Apr 22, 2012
I was going to use torchick in these games, like I did when I first played ruby, but I just love mega-sceptile's appearance so much that I've got to use it, another generation has made the grass type starter my favourite, that's 5 to grass one to fire now. (water's got zero)

NotThePANTSU

Apr 4, 2014
Unfortunately I first found out about the new Mega-evolutions in the 'rule-34' part of the internet where an 'artist' had decided to give Mega-Swampert an olive-green 'kickstand' using MS paint.

My immediate thoughts on the Mega-Sceptile design where: "Why the bloody hell have they turned it into a Christmas fucking novelty toy!?" and then: "...Well the new head design is better, I guess". Personally I don't think Lightning Rod is as amazing a choice of ability as I've heard so many others proclaim it to be but at least it's better than Swift Swim.

I really like Mega-Swampert's design although I still feel it could do with having thumbs. Too bad I can't stand using Rain Dance teams...

EDIT: Why did they redesign the female player-character to be even less sensibly proportioned? She used to have the barest hint of musculature but now she's been turned into another Moë-blob complete with 'inward-pointing-toe-stance'. Also her hair is fucking stupid (though I suppose, while it's only a small mercy, she thankfully doesn't have a Pokémon living in it...).

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I wonder if we'll be able to use these over in X/Y (Or at least when playing against X/Y)? If they were already in I think data-mining would have found them, but it's possible they'll release a patch that adds them in since that's something they can do now.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Madame_le_Flour said:
Goddess I hope they let you customize your character's outfit, the defaults are just... bleh.

Especially the hair, I really don't want to have to go the entire game with my hair looking like a giant inverted V stuck on my face. I mean I know that the original girl trainer was just a copy of May's character design but atleast she had her hair brushed to the sides like a human being hypothetically would as supposed to combed in front of her face (headbands are typically used to keep your hair BACK Nintendo).
I get that they're supposed to look like updated versions of the original character designs...
But I hope they still give you the option to change your appearance if you want to like they did in X/Y.
As long as you can keep Brendan's hair white, I'm cool with that. Just change the style.

Actually, I'm rather curious as to what customizations are available for these characters now.