Pokemon Sun and Moon predictions thread

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
So with these new Hawaii-themed games coming out this winter, I thought it'd be a good idea to see what they will add to the game, what they'll cut, and generally how Pokemon will deal with island hopping. You can also talk about what you hope to see.

Prediction:
-They'll cut most of the in-game games except for Pokemon-Amie, which they'll rename.
-There will be a kiwi-themed pokemon
-There will be a tiki torch or island head pokemon that everybody will say belongs in Yokai-Watch.

Oh, and your rival is going to be your friend again. Silver had daddy issues but gave you a challenge. X made a big mistake in making a load of strangers my best friends before I even learned their names.
Am I alone in thinking they could have kept Shauna and the gender-opposite of the player character as rivals and left it at that? I can't even remember those other two, and you only battled them about twice.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I want a jerky/tsundere rival again. I liked Silver the most, cause he turned decent by the end, as opposed to Gary/Blue. Barry annoyed me from the very start. Bianca/Cheren were ok, mostly since it was set up as an easy rival and a less easy rival. But X/Y was dumb. Tierno is annoying, Shauna is annoying, and none of them mattered.

I have little in the way of real predictions. I just don't want any new pokemon to dethrone the awefulness of Klefki and Trubbish.

I just want it to be good. My cynicism says it wont, but Trubbish aside, I think Gen 5 is the best, so its not like Pok?mon as a series is purely downhill. I just think they got carried away with overdesigned characters and pokemon. They suggested a return to simpler designs, but Popplio has me doubting.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I just really hoping they add a Fairy/ Dark type. I feel that was a missed oppertunity, a goth fairy? Yes please!

Also I think this could be a 50/ 50 chance but maybe this time, they would reworked the HM moves into simply being a function move (no need a Pokemon to used it per say or they know the move naturally like any water Pokemon know surf) or a non madatory way having to replace a move or two to make way for HM (unless you have a HM slave).

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
ok, this may seem far fetched but hear me out. I predict we will go around the region, beat 8 gym leaders, before going to face 4 or 5 of the strongest trainers in the region so we can be crowned the pokemon champ. Maybe we'll even find time to stop an evil team from taking over/destroying the world

but seriously I just hope it has more new pokemon than X/Y did, gen 6 felt like a placeholder game rather than a full pokemon game

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I hope that the story and characters are of similar quality to the Gen 5 cast. ORAS had given some gen 3 characters a lot more depth, which gives me hope. The cast and story in X and Y were very forgettable. You already mentioned the lackluster rivals/friends, who I agree were not interesting. The X and Y gym leaders were just like the older ones, oddly dressed weirdos waiting at the back of the gym waiting to be beaten by you. So, I predict that they will focus on better characters and story again, since that is a universal criticism of X and Y.

And as far as legendary Pokemon go, I can imagine some Polynesian and Hawaiian mythological creatures/deities being the inspiration for those. After doing some research, people have already found out the lion and bat mascots are rooted in specific legends. Not that it's a surprise, but it's clear Gamefreak puts a lot of effort in researching for making new Pokemon, contrary to popular belief they just make Pokemon willy nilly.

I have high hopes for Sun and Moon. X and Y were a bit of a rough spot for Pokemon, but they aren't bad games, and gens 4 and 5 are amazing to me. I think Pokemon is sitting pretty at the moment, and this game has the potential to be awesome. But, part of me wishes they held off on this game till the next Nintendo handheld, whatever that will be. On the other hand, being developed on the 3DS is likely what caused so many of the issues X and Y had. People complained about gen 5 still being on the DS, but that allowed for Gamefreak to just focus on making the games as opposed to creating brand new engines, and working on new hardware. And maybe it's my bias, but the gen 5 games are my favorite, so gen 7 has great potential if they make it with the same gen 5 mindset. Like the DS and gen 5, they now know the 3DS very well, so they don't have to stress over making the game from the ground up.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
I just really hoping they add a Fairy/ Dark type. I feel that was a missed oppertunity, a goth fairy? Yes please!
My hopes are for new Eeveelutions, Ghost and Steel to be precise, and new dual types that AREN'T legendaries. Typings such as Grass/Fire, Steel/Dragon, Steel/Poison, Ghost/Fighting.

And holy fuck, new Fire type moves to Fire pokemon that AREN'T complete shit with their stats. I have my hopes up, but not by too much.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Pokemon I wanna see:

Leech
Mosquito
Peacock
Quail
Komodo Dragon
Cassowary
Chupacabra

Also more love to ghost types and the Fire gym should be a fire dancer.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I predict most of the new Pookeymanns will fill the same gameplay niches (Type combos and stat spreads) of previous generations, making me wonder why we're bothering making new pookeymanns if they're just going to be the same pookeymanns.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
I predict...

-Official sources will either keep referring to them as "Sun and Moon" and refuse to abbreviate (it's fair, they're one-syllable words, much less of a mouthful than "Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire") OR abbreviate to Pokemon "SuMo", because let's be honest, Pokemon "S&M" is a little...risque.

-Volcanion will appear in-game or at least be available normally, not through distribution events. It would make sense for a region based on a volcanically-active area.

-There will be an "eclipse" legendary or fusion form that will appear either in this gen's "Platinum" equivalent or be available by distribution later

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Sable Gear said:
-There will be an "eclipse" legendary or fusion form that will appear either in this gen's "Platinum" equivalent or be available by distribution later
Not necessarely, I mean Zygard was catchable in X and Y as was Kyurem in Black and White. I think this generation will be the same with the third legendary being left for the post game.

Although very unlikely I would like the mega evolutions of the second gen starters. Goddamnit, Cyndaquil is my favorite pokemon and I would love Mega Typhlosion.
You gave the 1st gen and 3rd staters Megas, just give the 2nd gen Megas already. They fucking deserve it.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
You're a kid, you catch Pokemon and you foil not-Team Rocket?
This happens. Plus....

1. A bunch of new pokemon come out that people say aren't as good as the original 150.

2. Every new town with a gym will require some kind of mini adventure that must be completed before you can just go fight the gym leader.

3. Several pointless yet mandatory side story bits about friendship, ala the mansion fireworks scene from x and y.

4. The new pokemon will heavily favor a specific type, making the latest batch feel very samey.

5. The lion Legendary will be cool.

6. I will play it for hours and hours and hours, because history tends to repeat itself.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
1) Tags in battle that can be checked with one button press to remind you what stat changes are still in effect.

2) If you ever get in a battle where both you and the opposing trainer have more than one Pokemon, the option should be there to have a double battle.

3) The triumphant return of element-themed remixes of the Gym theme for each Gym. Also if there is a crisis in or near a city, its Gym leader will help you solve it.

4) A training dummy with a damage calculator. Better yet, an item that measures damage in battle.

5) More things being effected by the time of day, such as the tide height, weather, and trainer behaviour. Hey, it's Sun and Moon right?

6) The Evil Team Du Jour successfully uses Legendary Pokemon power to destroy a city, and everyone including the League reacts in horror.

7) Trivial thing, but said Team is led by a woman. Perhaps one like Jessie, but far more evil, charismatic and skilled.

8) Not an abundance of water areas, despite the setting.

9) The chance to visit another region post-Elite Four. Probably Kalos so that an older region isn't required to be remade in 3D.

10) Nerf Critical hits.

Not so much to ask, is it?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Oh, also add an IV checker. Im not into the competitive scene, for many reasons. I mostly just collect, but having completed the National Dex, Ive been looking for more things to do. Id love to get into breeding, but calculating IVs is no fun. If there was a person or way to just check, Id certainly get in depth into breeding.
Scarim Coral said:

Also I think this could be a 50/ 50 chance but maybe this time, they would reworked the HM moves into simply being a function move (no need a Pokemon to used it per say or they know the move naturally like any water Pokemon know surf) or a non madatory way having to replace a move or two to make way for HM (unless you have a HM slave).
Im in favor of just making HM moves into abilities any logical pokemon can do. Just make beating certain gym leaders unlock it. You don't need to teach Pidgeot to fly, or Blastoise to surf, they just can when you beat the right gym. I hate HM slaves, and I hate moves like cut, flash, and strength.

Sable Gear

Mar 26, 2009
WhiteFangofWar said:
1) Tags in battle that can be checked with one button press to remind you what stat changes are still in effect.

5) More things being effected by the time of day, such as the tide height, weather, and trainer behaviour. Hey, it's Sun and Moon right?

6) The Evil Team Du Jour successfully uses Legendary Pokemon power to destroy a city, and everyone including the League reacts in horror.

7) Trivial thing, but said Team is led by a woman. Perhaps one like Jessie, but far more evil, charismatic and skilled.
I really like these, especially #5. It might be neat to have the game tap into your DS's calendar to calculate moon phases as well, maybe certain pokemon will only appear or be more common at certain phases of the moon? A tide engine would be super neat too, allowing for some beachcombing in the off hours, maybe some sandbars with hidden items?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
They will spoil the entire pokedex before release and put the "main legendary" on the boxart so nobody can escape.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Dank.
Memes.

And they will not disappoint.

OT- death to XP share. It encourages single-pokemon spam and xp gain was balanced around it being on.