Pokemon - Why Is It So Wrong To Like It?

Babyfire

Apr 3, 2009
I'm 20 years old and I've been playing since Blue and Red... I've played thru every Generation (Working on Pearl currently). I never got to watch too many of the older episodes but I love the movies! I watch the new D&P anime every morning I don't have work... I know so lame! haha! But I've always been into it since that fateful day my dad brought home a copy of red and blue for me and my brother. My dad later got yellow for himself along with his very own special edition Pokemon GBC. I've always picked Blubasaur when playing Blue... My brother went with Charmander. In the later games I tried out the other Starters... I think my choices went something like this: Blubasaur, Totodile and Cyndaquil, Mudkip, and finally Piplup. I will continue to play Pokemon as long as they keep making it!

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
I used to love Pokemon when I was smaller. I had an entire folder with a trading card of every pokemon, a Pokedex, a card tin, bookmarks, cloths, Pokemon Yellow, Pokemon Silver, Pokemon Gold, a level 99 Pikachu that could own 3 of 4 of the Elite 4 with a single attack and I even had pajamas's with Blastoise on them.

Then I grew up and realized that every fucking season was the exact same bloody thing over and over and over again.

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
Wrong? If it's wrong to love pokemon, it's wrong to love Bulbasaur, and death to anyone who says it's wrong to love Bulbasaur! I mean look at him:

out of the first 3 starting pokemon... i thought Bulbasaur was the worst...
charmander and squritle were always better to me...

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
emwhite123 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Wrong? If it's wrong to love pokemon, it's wrong to love Bulbasaur, and death to anyone who says it's wrong to love Bulbasaur! I mean look at him:

O_O

Blasphemy! Charmander evolved into a flyer, which means he became weak against everything, and IMHO he was the worst. But Bulbasaur has the highest special attack of them all, making him the best pure offensive starter, and in my opinion, the best.

So which one did you like out of the other two then?

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
TikiShades said:
Gerazzi said:
It's the same game over and over again. If you like that sort of thing it's your deal but I would prefer it if they didn't make 100 new Pokemon each game.
If they didn't, wouldn't it be MORE of the same game over and over again? You could argue that Final Fantasy is the same game over and over again, but with new characters. ;)

And I was once caught playing Pokemon at school. Turns out half the school plays it. My 3rd period would usually strike up a Pokemon-related conversation during free time.
Yes but the game is lacking a little bit in logic as is.
What do they eat?
Why is every character after the first season of the anime eerily robotic?
Then, the freaking Bug Types.
Can you imagine seeing
crawling out of your bedroom carpet?
Good, now imagine it with realism.
You should come out with something like
ugh.
I'm pretty sure that Pokemon was based off a cicada, actually...

delanofilms

Apr 25, 2009
Gerazzi said:
TikiShades said:
Gerazzi said:
It's the same game over and over again. If you like that sort of thing it's your deal but I would prefer it if they didn't make 100 new Pokemon each game.
If they didn't, wouldn't it be MORE of the same game over and over again? You could argue that Final Fantasy is the same game over and over again, but with new characters. ;)

And I was once caught playing Pokemon at school. Turns out half the school plays it. My 3rd period would usually strike up a Pokemon-related conversation during free time.
Yes but the game is lacking a little bit in logic as is.
What do they eat?
Why is every character after the first season of the anime eerily robotic?
Then, the freaking Bug Types.
Can you imagine seeing
crawling out of your bedroom carpet?
Good, now imagine it with realism.
You should come out with something like
ugh.
I'm pretty sure that Pokemon was based off a cicada, actually...
Your 1st pic is messed up.

Bipedal Rug

Feb 25, 2009
It's one of those rare games that uses more colours than are on the dirt spectrum; which means it hurts those people with minds that can't comprehend how in depth the games can go, and how much potential the franchise actually has.

Besides, a lot of the people that make fun of you about it, only do so to cover up the fact they play it aswell. Kind of like a diversion to make everyone else think they don't play it.

I liked the anime as a kid, but it's really frigid and toned down now, so I lost interest a few years back. I catch an episode now and again though. For nostalgic reasons~

ScarlettRage

May 13, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
emwhite123 said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

O_O

Blasphemy! Charmander evolved into a flyer, which means he became weak against everything, and IMHO he was the worst. But Bulbasaur has the highest special attack of them all, making him the best pure offensive starter, and in my opinion, the best.

So which one did you like out of the other two then?
squritle :D

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
I like Pokemon even more than I like Final freaking Fantasy. The series is unique in that they're JRPGs that do everything a lot differently than everything else, and, well, they're really, really good. When you get into competitive battling you see that it clearly isn't a kids game; there's a lot of strategy and critical thinking involved, it's too much for most kids to handle.

Thespian42

Apr 5, 2009
Ah, pokemon. Even now, I will admit, me and my friends will have heated discussions on which of the first 151 was coolest, and why x pokemon is better than Lucario.

Nintendo is one of the best companies that exists. Almost every game type they touch they turn into a distinctive and imaginative franchise with recognizable characters and a new take on the genre. With pokemon however, since the target audience is constantly changing due to their aging, they decided to just keep making more of them. This is admittedly understandable, as it makes them so much money by doing so, but it seemed to ruin the franchise. The word "Legendary" doesn't even mean anything anymore. While, to me, it seems they could've done what they did with Mario; continuing to hone the essence while changing very little about the characters, and adding relatively few. If they had instead released each new game with say, five or six new species of Pokemon which they didn't announce and left for the player to discover while keeping all the originals, the series wouldn't have suffered so much and perhaps be seen as more socially acceptable.

*Sigh*

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
Thespian42 said:
Ah, pokemon. Even now, I will admit, me and my friends will have heated discussions on which of the first 151 was coolest, and why x pokemon is better than Lucario.

Nintendo is one of the best companies that exists. Almost every game type they touch they turn into a distinctive and imaginative franchise with recognizable characters and a new take on the genre. With pokemon however, since the target audience is constantly changing due to their aging, they decided to just keep making more of them. This is admittedly understandable, as it makes them so much money by doing so, but it seemed to ruin the franchise. The word "Legendary" doesn't even mean anything anymore. While, to me, it seems they could've done what they did with Mario; continuing to hone the essence while changing very little about the characters, and adding relatively few. If they had instead released each new game with say, five or six new species of Pokemon which they didn't announce and left for the player to discover while keeping all the originals, the series wouldn't have suffered so much and perhaps be seen as more socially acceptable.

*Sigh*
Hey, I enjoy all the new Pokemon. Sure there's a bit of mind f***ery at first but you get used to it and even enjoy it.

Buschmaki

Apr 16, 2009
It's wrong to like pokemon cause ash lost his voice and the new pokemon look like robots and how the hell are they all legendary? like 5 new legendary pokemon with every 10 if they're all legendary they're just normal

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
It's never wrong to love Pokémon. Who can say no to this face?

I have him and all his evolutions in stuffed animal form on my shelf. My starting party always consists of Espeon and Umbreon. I once put so much care into them that my Espeon one-shotted a Lv. 100 Groudon with psychic.

Yes, I'm quite fond of Eevee.