Pokemon X and Y Introduces "Mega" Evolutions

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
I'm about as conflicted about this as any human can be about any one thing. When I first found out this was confirmed, my first reaction was outrage (accidental pun). I literally had the Digimon song pop into my head, though, it's more because of the "Mega" being added to the names that anything else. A lot of these are already pretty strong Pokemon, I know at least two are already considered "Uber" in the competitive aspect of the game (I only really compete with friends), and aside from Mawile, they're all of decent quality. You can argue Absol wouldn't be monstrous if it were to evolve, but it's still very good as is if used right. It also seems unfair, like, if you want to check out this fancy new gimmick, you need one of these very select Pokemon, which we don't know exactly how many it'll be, but I can't imagine it being more than say 5% of the total roster, though likely not that many in my estimation. And, unless they really bump the levels in this game, most opponents are already pretty easy, having Megas isn't going to make it tougher. Though some trainers and gym leaders may have one, but how's that tougher? So do you. It just doesn't seem to improve the game in any way.

And one of them is one of the strongest legendaries. You couldn't find a Pokemon that needed an upgrade more than the legendary of legendaries (at least on reputation)? If it's a held item which I hadn't heard until now (from what I gathered there was an item that made them evolve, but I suspected it was permanent like an elemental stone), then it's not as bad and honestly more interesting. Honestly, I don't know enough to say this will suck, but I'm not a big fan right now and I'm very skeptical. The one thing I will give it is that the badassery radiating off of most of these is extraordinary. Don't love Mawile, but it's better than the original, and Ampharos looks stupid. If I get one I'm naming it Fabio though. Also, I'm meh on Mewtwo's design. It's a mix of ridiculous and sleek. They also seem like they can be really fun to use, especially Dragon Amphy.

Snatcher

Oct 28, 2012
The only thing MegaAmpharos is lacking is Mjolnir, because he already looks like Thor with his magnificent locks.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
MegaMewTwo's (MewThree?) design, IMO, looks stupid. So apparently he realized that having his tail lopped off and attached to his head via surgery made him more powerful? Um, okay. That said, I thought the first Pokemon movie was badass as a kid, so I'll confess that I'm interested in finding out why he decided it was time for an upgrade. Too bad the Pokemon movies/TV series all became shit... Or maybe they're just good in the eyes of a five year old...

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Pokemon already had form changes since the third generation, and they have added more and more different 'modes' like with Darmanitan, so I'm not really surprised by this.

Absol is one of my favourite pokemon, so I'm hoping this will make it more useful.

Also it's weird to me that Blaziken is included, maybe this means all starters will have these forms? If not, it just seems so... unsymmetrical.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
KoudelkaMorgan said:
From what I recall, Mewtwo scarcely needs more power...
Not that it matters, Mewtwo is already banned from the competitive scene, and all you see in the regular online multiplayer are teams of legendaries better than Mewtwo anyway. And Wobuffet.

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
Considering that Ampharos always makes his way onto my team, and I often need a Dragon type on my team, MegaAmpharo makes me very happy. Plus awesome hair... To me, that's how Amphy should have looked having evolved from Flaafy.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
...And I thought they were being silly when they started tacking the alphabet onto the end of Pokémon but this mega(really?)-evolution thing takes the cake. Also from looking at the picture it seems like all the mega-evolution does, apart from speculated stat changes, is give the Pokémon a wacky new hairstyle or head ornament. So hair dressing is becoming a critical part of Pokémon? M'kay...

Gormech said:
Well ... so that's how it ends. They take the path of Digimon. It's kind of sad. Oh well, couldn't last forever.
I woulda thought Pokémon taking the path of digimon would involve the trainer actually fusing with their Pokémon to make some weird combination (read abomination) whenever they wanted to battle someone. Oh and gears, lots and lots of gears. [sub]Nah I kid. I enjoyed both Digimon and Pokémon but lately Pokémon has become way too convoluted with the constant addition of God like Pokémon that pretty much sound like they can destroy everything just like that but some kid who is not even in their teens yet can beat them down and stuff them into a pokeball that is like 1/50 of their size. -_-[/sub]

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I was all onboard for X and Y before I heard this. An evolution beyond the adult form sort of cheapens the adult forms we have always loved. Also an evolution for a Legendary pokemon is sort of ridiculous. However I think it would be fine if... They were like Super Saiayan forms as OP said, where they could power up into a mega form and then power back down into their normal form.

I hope they give at least all of the starters a mega form, I want to power up my favourites like Feraligatr and Sceptile.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Call me the guy who hates change, but I don't like this very much.

Couldn't we just leave it be at forms? I might be okay with it if the pokemon looked nice, but there's far too many pointless frilly add-ons. They look like Pokemon drag queens.

Mawile and Absol suck, but they look like very "finished" designs. This seems to be a desperate effort at finding some way of evolving Pokemon that you can't without just adding bigger claws and more hair. So they did just that. Gave them big claws and more hair and called them "MEGA". Mega dumb.

Furthermore, if these evolutions are reversible, I'm calling it Digivolving to ultimate.

In stuff I do like, it seems they announced a funny looking rabbit with a butt-face, an obese Pikachu and Gogoat's pre-evolution.

Apr 28, 2008
Innegativeion said:
KoudelkaMorgan said:
The series got really bloated and complicated over the years,
I'm tended to seriously question this assertion, considering

I've only played the original Pokemon Blue
For my part, I've enjoyed each pokemon game more than the last. Pokemon as a series is notable for always adding simple, yet overall beneficial expects each generation.

2nd; breeding, babies, new types for balance

3rd; running, double battles, a streamlined hidden genetics system for stat growth, alt forms... sort of

4th; 3d environments, physical and special move distinctions, online play and trading

5th; fully animated sprites, the ability to EV train level 100s, improved online options

6th; fully 3d game, a new type for balance, pokemon nintendogs (I mean come on. That's brilliant), a more approachable EV training system, and this mega evolution... thing.

That list being of course by no means comprehensive. I've honestly found the notion that "too many pokemon=bad" baffling. The real world has THOUSANDS, not hundreds, of species... but people only seem to be impressed by that, never put off. I like the idea of there being huge numbers of monsters to choose from, so everyone's teams always look different, and everyone has a different favorite.
Not just new content, but the mechanical differences through the years. Remember how in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow you only had room for 25 items? ONLY 25 items, for the whole damn game. And other terrible mechanical choices by today's standards. It was horrid. Here are some things the pokemon games have added over the years that I think are fantastic.

2nd gen gave us a backpack that wasn't horrible, and an xp bar we can see in battle.

3rd gen let us run fast without needing a bike.

4th... well I didn't play the 4th gen, so yeah.

5th gen made it so health bars fall at decent rates, even at high levels. So battles between high-level pokemon are no longer glacial affairs. Also they removed the annoying-ass beeping when your health is low.

5th gen (Black and White 2) Well, this simple sentence: "Your repel has worn off, would you like to use another?"

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
As I said before- Ampharos looks fancy as fuck. He looks like he should be the guitarist in an 80's metal band. What a total badass.

Still, I would say the designs could be a little more adventurous than just adding hair and things, but then the MegaMewtwo thing does that and I don't like the design as much as ordinary Mewtwo.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I love a good power trip, and Ampharos is one of my favorite electric types. I want that Mega version. I hope I can get a Darmanitan too. That thing nearly gave me an Acreus complex.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I tried getting back into pokemon with the heart gold and soul silver series, but found they made the game way too complicated with the whole breeding aspect. Something about spending hours working on a pokemon only to find out that it doesn't have optimum stats because of some weird quirk and then having to go through breeding a baby one, which subsequently takes even longer to get back to the same point because the wild one was at a slightly higher level...

Yeah, it's just a convoluted mess. The very fact people feel they need to make trainers just to build optimum pokemon in reasonable time should be saying something about the condition of this game. On the other hand, I do like the fact that some of the less powerful (read: useless) pokemon are getting an evolution for once. Mawile is one of my favorite pokemon and it's nice to see it get a power boost.

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
Irridium said:
Not just new content, but the mechanical differences through the years. Remember how in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow you only had room for 25 items? ONLY 25 items, for the whole damn game. And other terrible mechanical choices by today's standards. It was horrid. Here are some things the pokemon games have added over the years that I think are fantastic.

2nd gen gave us a backpack that wasn't horrible, and an xp bar we can see in battle.

3rd gen let us run fast without needing a bike.

4th... well I didn't play the 4th gen, so yeah.

5th gen made it so health bars fall at decent rates, even at high levels. So battles between high-level pokemon are no longer glacial affairs. Also they removed the annoying-ass beeping when your health is low.

5th gen (Black and White 2) Well, this simple sentence: "Your repel has worn off, would you like to use another?"
You're not exactly wrong, but personally some changes don't work as well as others. While the limit on items in Gen I was a bit restrictive, playing HeartGold I missed being able to dump stuff I don't need to carry in the PC to not clutter up my bag. While the Gen I limit was harsh, it wasn't a massive problem once you knew it was there.

And some of the new mechanics I just don't get, like hidden abilities and the dream world stuff. But that might change when I get the Gen V games next week.

Problem I have with the later gens is that 90% of my favourite pokemon are in Gens I and II (probably cos those were my childhood games). I really hope after X and Y they do remakes for Kanto and Hoenn (wouldn't mind Johto and Sinnoh, but at least those games are availble on DS), to bring all the old games in line with the new mechanics.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
"introduces Megaevolution" my ass. Digimon had that years ago.

DIGIVOLVE!
INTO CHAMPION!
DIGIVOLVE!
INTO ULTIMATE!

I know that pokemon evolutions don't tend to make sense...

But how does one's tail go from their ass... to their head?

I can believe a fish into a flying sea monster easier than that.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Gormech said:
Charli said:
Gormech said:
Well ... so that's how it ends. They take the path of Digimon. It's kind of sad. Oh well, couldn't last forever.
As a long term fan of both franchises I'm going to ask a very serious question

You are highly misinformed. That is all, should you care for elaboration I will be more than happy to provide it.

I understand in hindsight that my original post is coming off as something that could possibly be considered trollbait so I'll try to clear it up some ...

In my general area growing up, there was a pretty big split between the two franchises. I came across digimon prior to pokemon so at first, thought pokemon was a ripoff of it. General age was around 6 or so. Digimon season one was really the only thing of its kind that we were exposed to but the story seemed a lot like pokemon when the two were put side by side.

IE: Kids out in the middle of nowhere getting animals to fight other animals.

Then we began to recognize a split.

Pokemon would keep adding more pokemon with the previous ones having an evolution every now and then.
Digimon would have an evolution with a new character every now and then.

Right or wrong, that's how we saw it at the time.

Pokemon appeared to have the winning formula and we assumed Digimon had died out because it didn't bring enough completely new characters in, just upgraded ones we already had. Didn't help things that the show didn't come on anymore on the cartoon channel my parents had. I didn't learn of the new seasons till much later.

My earlier post was made with the thought process of: They're just gonna start upgrading the current pokemon more now that they've started to run outta ideas and will slowly stagnate like my childhood memories of the old digimon. In hindsight, it was poorly worded.

TLDR: I type faster than my brain works to tell me not to post it.

Also, how do we add images in a post? Been trying to figure that out for awhile now.
Ehh, story wise Pokemon and Digimon were totally different (We'll take the first 2 seasons of Digimon anyway, as after that they started being completely unrelated each version, completely rewriting the lore etc), Pokemon was mainly just about Ash wandering around collecting badges, fighting various leagues, breaking the rules no end with his blatantly hacked Pikachu, trashing women's bikes and forcing them to follow him around on the vague promise he'd buy them a new one. There were arcs, but it was mainly just ash wandering around for badges.

Digimon not only had a slightly darker story (for a kids show anyway, the latter half of the second season revolved around children being kidnapped for experimentation with dark spores), it had a story that spanned the two seasons with the movie connecting them, the movie having a section concerned with preventing a nuclear apocalypse, I might add. The monsters had individual personalities, the kids felt like they grew as characters, and the story was concerned with saving the world.

The main difference with the monsters was that Pokemon are almost highly interchangeable, obviously they're loved by their trainers and they have quirks and whatnot, but ultimately they're tools, whereas the Digimon were characters who could speak and had personalites, and thus it made more sense to add new Digi-evolutions rather than new Digimon all the time.

Captcha: meddling kids, well you got that right.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I've never really got into pokemon (I bought the games when it was a trend in the 90's and then got Diamond and Soul Silver for Nostalgia) but i do hope they come up with better names then mega mewtwo.