Pokemon X and Y Review - Catch 'Em All Again

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Agayek said:
arc1991 said:
I picked Squirtle...Blastoise's Mega Evo is literally a tank... so you can have your shinier Dragon, while i blast it of the sky ;)
Congratulations on being demonstrably wrong.

Mega Charizard Y > Any form of tank

It's science.
This is Pokemon...Fuck Science.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
RaikuFA said:
Oh geez the flamboyism from them is laughable. To me they're more like the shows Team Rocket.
Seriously. It's all sorts of hilarious. It does kinda make me wish Jessie or James would pop out somewhere decked out in the bright red suit though.

arc1991 said:
Which is why the fire pokemon is all kinds of better than the water pokemon :p

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Agayek said:
RaikuFA said:
Oh geez the flamboyism from them is laughable. To me they're more like the shows Team Rocket.
Seriously. It's all sorts of hilarious. It does kinda make me wish Jessie or James would pop out somewhere decked out in the bright red suit though.

arc1991 said:
Which is why the fire pokemon is all kinds of better than the water pokemon :p
As i said, have your false Dragon (Mega evolution doesn't count! Charizard on his own is false...FALSE I TELL YOU!) Meanwhile, i am quite contempt with my Armoured Attack Tortoise with a giant tank barrel on its back ;).

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
BanicRhys said:
arc1991 said:
Agayek said:
The entire reason you're on your Pokeventure is for science.
Yeh...Science in the world of Pokemon, which is vastly different to ours :p

When we can make tiny little balls that can grow and shrink at the touch of a button, while containing, lets say...an Elephant? Then get back to me ;)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Really wish there were more pokemon with voices rather than sound clips. Anyone know if there are any others besides pikachu? Seriously, I'd pay for some pokemon voice dlc...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
Really wish there were more pokemon with voices rather than sound clips. Anyone know if there are any others besides pikachu? Seriously, I'd pay for some pokemon voice dlc...
Think Pikachu is the only one, i think they were referencing Pokemon Yellow with that little touch, but it would of been nice to maybe have Pichu, Raichu, and the original starters and there evolutions voices as well.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
arc1991 said:
-Dragmire- said:
Think Pikachu is the only one, i think they were referencing Pokemon Yellow with that little touch, but it would of been nice to maybe have Pichu, Raichu, and the original starters and there evolutions voices as well.
I do know that Mewtwo had his cry adjusted.

tofulove

Sep 6, 2009
Oh no, this review was not a perfect score. If Pokemon fans are any thing like gta5 fans brace your self for a riot.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
saintdane05 said:
arc1991 said:
-Dragmire- said:
I do know that Mewtwo had his cry adjusted.
Pokemon from Gen 1 to 3 have had there crys adjusted, so they don't sound like 2 bit sounds. They sound more animal like, like Pokemon have since gen 4. I first noticed with the kanto starters :p but the biggest change i have heard is Vileplume, which doesn't sound so demonic anymore :p

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Slycne said:
It gets a little grating that things like buying and selling items or depositing and withdrawing Pokémon from storage requires navigating back out to the previous menu. I'm already putting Pokemon in the box, why can't I just pick them up as well.
Hey Justin. If you hit "organize box" instead of deposit or withdraw pokemon, you can actually move pokemon around between your boxes and your party from the one screen. It's not very intuitive, and as it makes the deposit and withdraw options redundant, i'm not sure whey they kept them in...

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
People always say "Casuals can just play a bit and still have fun" while hardcore can min max and make an epic team. But they forget, there is NO reason to make a min maxed team. The casuals who buy it mean they cant make any boss challenging, so you can beat every boss in every pokemon game by using a pokemon who is WEAK to the boss your fighting.
Except the min/maxing isn't for the PvE stuff. It's all for the competitive scene. The PvE is there for the casuals and people who don't want to min/max to play around with and have fun (and it's what I do pretty much exclusively), while the competitive online battles and PvP are there for the hardcore who thrive on the complexity and depth of the battle system.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
9 out of 10. 9 OUT OF 10!!! how dare you sir, the lowest possible score this game can receive is a 11 out of 10.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
A warning: If you're planning to buy the Digital Version, don't, unless you just can't get the physical version. The digital version offers no benefits and is the same price. In addition, if something happens to your 3DS you lose every game you own digitally because of Nintendo's retarded system of tying digital purchases to the console they were purchased on.

If you already did buy a digital version, a huge warning: Do not attempt to make backups. There is a variable on the DS that is checked against the save. If you make a new save the variable is updated. This means all backup saves are corrupted the instant you create a new save. That's right: The DRM intentionally fails to load backup saves.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
It's funny I choose X becuase that legendary reminded me of Princess Mononoke.
Great review reguardless.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Hardcore fans can obsess over crafting the perfect team to min/max how abilities are stronger or weaker based on the type of Pokémon they are hitting, like electric attacks dealing more damage to flying types, or suss out how the new fairy type will change up their previously perfected line-ups. At the same time though, it's accessible and easy enough for less dedicated fans to enjoy.
Reading this I expected it to talk about EVs and IVs and whatnot but...types? Really?

I guess being from the old times that the article references, I find it funny to consider knowing which type is weak to which other as "hardcore".

How much dedication does it really take if every kid ever knew the type chart in and out? I guess this is the thing people decry when they say games are getting easier nowadays. It doesn't really take much effort but it's still something that is deemed "hardcore".

Petwins

Jun 8, 2011
I said most of what I wanted to say in my facebook comment, but seriously the title of "catch them all again" doesn't do the game justice, I know pokemon games can get kinda samey, which is exactly why its horrible to have that title on a game where they did actually make some significant changes to the feel of the game and aspects of the play style. They havent been this innovative since they made red and blue (with second gen and yellow as close seconds) so please give them some credit for that

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
Yeah well that Princess Mononoke knock off deer is OP as fuck and kicks total ass!

As for the game itself, it was literally painful to pull my head away from my 3DS to look at my computer screen, so I think it goes without saying that I love it. So now if you'll excuse me, I have a pokedex that needs filling.