Pokemon X and Y's Pokemon Bank Won't Launch Until Dec 27

trytoguess

Jun 18, 2012
Dragonbums said:
$5.00 a year is so ass cheap.
If you can afford a pack of gum every week, you can definitely afford the Poke bank.
Could they of put that on your SD card? Sure.
But SD cards are used for other things to, and personally, people lose stuff. I'd rather have my Pokemon on the official servers, than on some third party SD card.

Honestly, this is going to be how they do Pokemon transfers from now on. That means, no longer do we have to worry about whether or not our teams can be transferred over to the next gen. It also means, they don't have to waste their time programming shit minigames just to transfer over six Pokemon at a time.

You aren't paying for a service that will only be available for one game. You are paying for a service that will be there until Pokemon dies, or they convert it to something else (if/when Pokemon goes away.)
I suppose for the sake of not losing your Pokemons (since you can also lose the entire 3DS along with game & SD card) this service could be worthwhile. On a minor note, I'd say that's the only reason this service is worthwhile. Things like the crappy Pokemon transfer thing and, the ability to transfer creatures to other games can be solved without an online component.

Actually, now that I think about it, if Nintendo wants to be jerks, they could keep the old poke transfer system even with the internet... But I truly hope not.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
trytoguess said:
Actually, now that I think about it, if Nintendo wants to be jerks, they could keep the old poke transfer system even with the internet... But I truly hope not.
Well for one, Nintendo doesn't make these decisions. Gamefreak does.

Also, this is a contradictory statement.
How are Gamefreak acting like jerks if they keep the old system of Poke transfer system regardless of...internet?
That makes no sense. The old system didn't require internet.
If they kept that method than that would be a much longer but free alternative.
Meaning they give players more choices.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
trytoguess said:
SilverUchiha said:
Is it though? I mean, just looking at it point blank, sure. But the $5/year is, as I said already, virtually nothing when compared to a number of other subscription based games or online services (that's roughly 42 cents a MONTH at best). For all the features it'll offer (ie, easier transferring for this and ALL future games), that's not really anti-consumer.
To be honest, despite the low low price I'd say it's still anti-consumer. Like I've mentioned in my other posts, Nintendo could allow save files in the SD card. Along with getting rid of any hard limits on the number of mons you have, this would make it possible to easily transfer Pokemon between games. For example: You've a save file for Pokemon X and Nintendo releases Pokemon X+1. X+1 could scan your SD card for a Pokemon X save file and modify the necessary data so some or all of your Pokemon are transferred.
They could allow save files on SD cards and they could have you use those for your Pokemon transferring instead. But since they're not, I imagine there's probably a reason for that. Maybe they're preparing for the eventuality that SD cards become obsolete. Maybe they're just trying to make transferring more streamlined. Let's say they release a console game akin to stadium. Rather than transfer your SD card from one device to another, all the games are synched to your boxes on the cloud service. This way should your SD card get damaged, lost, stolen or whatever else, your Pokemon are still there, preventing all those hours you put into the game from going to waste.

I'm not saying the new system is perfect, by any means. But I don't think it's fair to call it anti-consumer or automatically react to it as being "bad" when we haven't seen it yet.

trytoguess

Jun 18, 2012
Dragonbums said:
Well for one, Nintendo doesn't make these decisions. Gamefreak does.

Also, this is a contradictory statement.
How are Gamefreak acting like jerks if they keep the old system of Poke transfer system regardless of...internet?
I meant that even with the new online feature they could still make users use the same old Pokemon transferring user interface we all know and love. For what it's worth, that's just some random thought not something I feel is worth debating.

On a minor note, I think since the Pokemon franchise is owned by Nintendo and they apparently owns 53% of Game Freak's actions (at least according to wikipedia), I'd say one could use either company's name when discussion the game in casual conversation.

SilverUchiha said:
I'm not saying the new system is perfect, by any means. But I don't think it's fair to call it anti-consumer or automatically react to it as being "bad" when we haven't seen it yet.
Eh, no worries. The discussion with Dragonsbums has convinced me this system can have a legitimate benefit to the players.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Personally, I don't like this at all. It isn't the price, it's the principle of the thing.

I really don't believe that the 3DS can't communicate properly with the DSi-enhanced games, but just for the sake of argument let's say it's true. Why the hell do we have to go through a ridiculous online subscription service when it would be so damned simple to have a storage program right there on the 3DS. I'd be more than willing to pay the $5 for that.

People can't even use the "nobody is forcing you to use it" defence, because that's untrue. They're basically holding your previous games' Pokes at ransom until you use their service.

And to chime in with the original post.. Neither my friends/family, nor myself has ever used up all the storage space in a Pokemon game. Although, I noticed that Pokemon White has only like 8 boxes, compared to some of the earlier games which had like 10 or 12.

I mean, really, the Pokemon X/Y is like almost a gig in size (with doubtless room left over on the cartridge) and in all of that they couldn't come up with some way of making the two generations talk? But somehow they magically have this "service" which will do it without a problem?

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the excuse or that this was the only possible solution.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
I'm ok with the concept, if they use this as a means of transfering pokemon in the feature (Could this mean account based systems soon?). And hell for the price, that's one day I don't get to eat a turkey burger at work I'll live :p.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
BoredRolePlayer said:
I'm ok with the concept, if they use this as a means of transfering pokemon in the feature (Could this mean account based systems soon?). And hell for the price, that's one day I don't get to eat a turkey burger at work I'll live :p.
I don't think so.

It's just going to be a much more efficient and permanent way to transfer Pokemon from now on. Which means that it will probably be tied to your 3DS.

Honestly we don't know the full details. So let's see.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Hiroshi Mishima said:
Personally, I don't like this at all. It isn't the price, it's the principle of the thing.

I really don't believe that the 3DS can't communicate properly with the DSi-enhanced games, but just for the sake of argument let's say it's true. Why the hell do we have to go through a ridiculous online subscription service when it would be so damned simple to have a storage program right there on the 3DS. I'd be more than willing to pay the $5 for that.

People can't even use the "nobody is forcing you to use it" defence, because that's untrue. They're basically holding your previous games' Pokes at ransom until you use their service.

And to chime in with the original post.. Neither my friends/family, nor myself has ever used up all the storage space in a Pokemon game. Although, I noticed that Pokemon White has only like 8 boxes, compared to some of the earlier games which had like 10 or 12.

I mean, really, the Pokemon X/Y is like almost a gig in size (with doubtless room left over on the cartridge) and in all of that they couldn't come up with some way of making the two generations talk? But somehow they magically have this "service" which will do it without a problem?

I'm sorry, but I don't believe the excuse or that this was the only possible solution.
I guess I don't care mostly cause I would be paying for a service that Nintendo owns. It's not like Xbox 360 where if I wanted to watch Netflix I needed to pay for Gold as well. That is more of a joke, you have to pay for a online service to use a product we don't own. Also with how anti flash cart Nintendo is I highly doubt they would allow any method that would give people access to the data to modify pokemon. I mean people are banging on and on about how easy it would be to stick data on the SD card, yet you don't realize that people can also look at it and dick around with it. Just like when Sony put PS1 games on the PSN and hackers used the files in it to sign PS1 ISO's to make them run on the PSP.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Dragonbums said:
BoredRolePlayer said:
I don't think so.

It's just going to be a much more efficient and permanent way to transfer Pokemon from now on. Which means that it will probably be tied to your 3DS.

Honestly we don't know the full details. So let's see.
:( Man I honestly wouldn't hate doing digital only with my 3DS if Nintendo stuck with an account system. Only reason I got digital for Pokemon Y was because I wanted it at mid-night.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Hiroshi Mishima said:

I really don't believe that the 3DS can't communicate properly with the DSi-enhanced games,
The 3DS can. The Pokeradar app that works in conjunction with Black and White 2 proves that.

Why the hell do we have to go through a ridiculous online subscription service when it would be so damned simple to have a storage program right there on the 3DS. I'd be more than willing to pay the $5 for that.
So you would rather have it the old way where you are transporting 600+ monsters six at a time through some half assed minigame? Also the reason why they are making a $5.00 a year subscription service is because this is the permanent replacement of the old system. What that means is that all Game Freak has to do is keep the servers in check. No longer do they have to worry about whether or not they can or cannot transport Pokemon from the previous generation over to a whole new handheld. In fact, putting this on the server poses less of a risk than putting it on your SD card. Because once you lose your SD card, that's fucking it.

Also they said they are allowing everyone a one month free trial. Meaning that those who are only going to use it to simply transfer their Pokemon over to the new game won't be paying for it anyway.

How exactly, are they holding your previous Pokemon ransom? I can boot up my copy of Pokemon Black right now and play with my old team. And once again, this is going to be free for the first month you use it. So if you are only going to use it to transfer your old Pokemon, pay not even a penny, and can completely ignore it's existence until 5 years later when they come out with a new game. And even then, you can do it the old fashioned way of trading with yourself.

The Pokebank however will be there for as long as the franchise lives. Meaning $5.00 a year is couch change. A kid could ask their parents for that, and they probably won't be missing out on 25 cents a month.

Neither my friends/family, nor myself has ever used up all the storage space in a Pokemon game.
There are a lot of competitive players in Pokemon that do intensive breeding for not only Natures and EV,s but for IV's as well. All of that for a single team can eat up a lot of box space, so unless they are hackers, many have expressed gratitude in finally having something like this to keep their 500 mudkips in.

Although, I noticed that Pokemon White has only like 8 boxes, compared to some of the earlier games which had like 10 or 12.
You start off with 8 boxes. However it automatically expands to 16 boxes once you get another Pokemon that breaches the 8 box capacity. Meaning, you have four more boxes than you did in the first generation.

I mean, really, the Pokemon X/Y is like almost a gig in size (with doubtless room left over on the cartridge) and in all of that they couldn't come up with some way of making the two generations talk?
The same could be said for the Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire debacle.
Case in point, the inner mechanics of the game were so radically different, that there was no feasible way GameFreak could transfer the Gameboy Pokemon over to the Gameboy Advance Pokemon games.

While they could probably communicate now, they have now reached an insane number of Pokemon. And quite frankly I really wasn't looking forward to do shitty whack a mole minigames for all 500+ Pokemon I have.

But somehow they magically have this "service" which will do it without a problem?

I'm pretty sure they planned that out for years.
It's not like there would be any problems doing it the old way. It's just that the amount of Pokemon they have, it would just become incredibly inefficient and tedious to do. Now all you have to do is click and drag an entire box right into your game. That's it.