Pokemon

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Imagine the world for those that aren't trainers. Trainers have access to destructive forces that make everything you have look like a joke, especially your pathetic civilian pokemon. The have the right to burst into your house and interrogate everyone until you can find a 'present' that will make them go away. Every few years some fresh hell breaks out where organized crime finds the power of the gods.

The only way you could ever get revenge on these bastards is by making bicycles too expensive for them.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
That's... kind of bizarre. Think about it, that would be like somebody being hated because he doesn't want to read a book about animals.
But then the Pokemon world never made much sense to begin with, so... yeah, I'd believe that reaction.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Yeah that does always bug me in pokemon, that and the fact that every person you come across tends to tell you how awesome pokemon are and how you should treat them with kindness and stuff.

I like to think that the pokemon games are actually simulations used to train pokemon trainers, suddenly a lot of odd quirks of the pokemon world start to make a lot more sense.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
james.sponge said:
This leads to another controversial question where are all the grown up males from Pokemon universe? And I don't mean old people but the middle aged guys you know :p
You mean like hikers, gamblers, pokéfans, several of the gym leaders...

OT: I always assumed that the reason you encountered so many pokémon fans was because you visit the cities with the gyms and little else. It'd be like going to towns with big football stadiums and wondering why everyone talks about sport.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Samantha Burt said:
james.sponge said:
This leads to another controversial question where are all the grown up males from Pokemon universe? And I don't mean old people but the middle aged guys you know :p
You mean like hikers, gamblers, pokéfans, several of the gym leaders...
What about fathers, workers, shop assistants!? ;) I remember there was this one crazy pokemon conspiracy theory stating that all males in poke world died on a war or something burned and brutally murdered by Charizards and Blastoises used as weapons of mass destruction :D

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
james.sponge said:
They're the ones buying the games apparently. Giving the rest of us middle aged males a bad name.

LG Jargon

Feb 9, 2012
Chessrook44 said:
I wonder if they have The Lusty Umbreon Maid...
I must admit, I lol'ed way too hard. XD
"I used to be a Trainer like you, then I took a Poison Sting to the knee..."

Dickdatduck said:
snekadid said:
It was a fun RPG but they kept taking it kiddier and kiddier, that may sound weird considering its a kids series, but the originals had a lot of violence and angry pokemon. There was also alot of "mature content"(no, not sex you perv), I remember the original description for parasec having to do with the fungus eating into its hosts brain and hijacking its body.... that's pretty creepy for a kids game.
From the pokedex entry of the new pokemon Phantump: "According to old tales, these Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died while lost in the forest."
O___O Jesus...Well, Game Freak has sure shown that it's no stranger to creepiness. T.T

....Makes me wonder if they have something like, "The Enigma of Victory Road Fault" or something.

OT: Both how the librarian (she's quite cute, too. :3 ) reacted and how everyone is pontificating about the Pokémon world made me wonder how and what humans eat...I mean, do they farm Pokémon for the slaughter? The librarian did say something about Pokémon husbandry...And what about plants? Do humans like a nice Oddish salad? Or stuffed Bellsprout? o_O

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
james.sponge said:
A Freudian fantasy where the father is absent and all the females answer your calling?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
At least, there used to be.

Before the purge....
Dude. I was drinking something. That almost ended horribly for my laptop.

Seriously, though, you win an Internets for that visual imagery.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I like to imagine that the Pokémon world is divided between the fanatic Pokenthusiasts and the Notinteresteds, struggling to keep hoards of starving, homeless children from spilling into their borders.

Dickdatduck said:
snekadid said:
It was a fun RPG but they kept taking it kiddier and kiddier, that may sound weird considering its a kids series, but the originals had a lot of violence and angry pokemon. There was also alot of "mature content"(no, not sex you perv), I remember the original description for parasec having to do with the fungus eating into its hosts brain and hijacking its body.... that's pretty creepy for a kids game.
From the pokedex entry of the new pokemon Phantump: "According to old tales, these Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died while lost in the forest."
There ought to be loads of those, imagine how many young budding pokemasters must get lost and die in the woods each year. You probably can't walk one hundred paces before finding some sunbleached stupid hat and a little pile of bones.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
RJ 17 said:
The Artificially Prolonged said:
RJ 17 said:
That's something I always remembered wondering about with my brief (gen 1-3) experience with Pokémon....

"Why the fuck is EVERYTHING in this world based around these little buggers?!"
My guess it's a political ploy to distract from the crippling economic problems and lack of educational opportunities for the young people.
Considering that the culture of this world is to throw 10 year old kids out into the world on their own with the only purpose of "Go forth and harvest these critters that hold the very power of the GODS!", you might be onto something there. :p
Though thinking about, trying to teach kids in the Pokemon world might a bit tricky. Science in particular might be a bit of a problem.

Teacher: "... which turns the turbine, thus generating electricity."

*Student raises hand*

Teacher: "Yes Jimmy"

Student: "But why not just use a Pikachu instead?"

Teacher: "BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT! WE NEED TO LEARN THE THEORY BEHIND IT ALL, I KEEP TELLING YOU THIS!"

Student: "But why when using an electric Pokemon is easier?"

*Teacher begins to sob on the floor*

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
snekadid said:
I understood the pokemon craze.... WHEN I WAS 14 AND RED AND BLUE HAD JUST COME OUT! I was a serious pokemaniac then, I could recite the poke-rap and all that, but when they added 100 more I called it quits because I already had all 151, I won pokemon and they can't take that from me if I don't play their new shit :p

It was a fun RPG but they kept taking it kiddier and kiddier, that may sound weird considering its a kids series, but the originals had a lot of violence and angry pokemon. There was also alot of "mature content"(no, not sex you perv), I remember the original description for parasect having to do with the fungus eating into its hosts brain and hijacking its body.... that's pretty creepy for a kids game.
I find it silly that you say pokemon has been getting kiddier and kiddier even though it's pretty obvious you don't keep up with the series.
The newer games feature subjects that are most defiantly considered mature.
spoilers and all that

Cory Rydell

Feb 4, 2010
so it ended up a bit smaller than I wanted so here are the book titles in order:
The Great Gyrados
A Tale of Two Regions
To Kill a Farfetch'd
Of Rattata and Men
The Fault in our Starmies
The Call of the Wild
The Gengar of the Opera
War and Pokemon
and lastly The Merchant of Vermillion (city)

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
MrCalavera said:
Yeah, pretty much this.

Why there's a PokeMart in every little shithole, yet you can hardly find any hospital or shop for humans? What if I want to drink a soda, instead of some Poke-coke?

Captcha: Best seller
-You have no idea!
I believe there was an episode of the anime that took place in a human hospital. Think it was season 1.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The Artificially Prolonged said:
RJ 17 said:
Though thinking about, trying to teach kids in the Pokemon world might a bit tricky. Science in particular might be a bit of a problem.

Teacher: "... which turns the turbine, thus generating electricity."

*Student raises hand*

Teacher: "Yes Jimmy"

Student: "But why not just use a Pikachu instead?"

Teacher: "BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT! WE NEED TO LEARN THE THEORY BEHIND IT ALL, I KEEP TELLING YOU THIS!"

Student: "But why when using an electric Pokemon is easier?"

*Teacher begins to sob on the floor*
The world of Pokémon always reminded me of the world of Harry Potter: everyone is an uneducated idiot who compensates for that with magic/Pokémon.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
The_Echo said:
I don't find this quite so odd, honestly.

I mean, the humans in the Pokémon world have cooperated and coexisted with Pokémon... forever.

In a way, it's all they know. Their lives and cultures are so infused with these creatures that to think of a story that doesn't involve them is outlandish.

Like, how many stories do we have that feature not a single human, or anthropomorphic animals?
Now you've got me wondering what use they have for Pokémon that aren't brightly colored cockfights for kids, as Yahtzee called them.
snekadid said:
Holy shit, they predicted The Last of Us decades before it was released!

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Cory Rydell said:
so it ended up a bit smaller than I wanted so here are the book titles in order:
The Great Gyrados
A Tale of Two Regions
To Kill a Farfetch'd
Of Rattata and Men
The Fault in our Starmies
The Call of the Wild
The Gengar of the Opera
War and Pokemon
and lastly The Merchant of Vermillion (city)
Cory !!! you and Grey are geniuses man ^_^ for the next Pokémon related comic how about the trainer using a fedora ;) and clothes from the super expensive shop in Luminose City

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
james.sponge said:
I assume you are familiar with the Great, Generation-Killing Poke-War Theory [http://pikigeek.com/2011/04/12/the-craziest-pokmon-fan-theories].