Pokemon

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
snekadid said:
I understood the pokemon craze.... WHEN I WAS 14 AND RED AND BLUE HAD JUST COME OUT! I was a serious pokemaniac then, I could recite the poke-rap and all that, but when they added 100 more I called it quits because I already had all 151, I won pokemon and they can't take that from me if I don't play their new shit :p

It was a fun RPG but they kept taking it kiddier and kiddier, that may sound weird considering its a kids series, but the originals had a lot of violence and angry pokemon. There was also alot of "mature content"(no, not sex you perv), I remember the original description for parasec having to do with the fungus eating into its hosts brain and hijacking its body.... that's pretty creepy for a kids game.
Someone hasn't played Black/White
At one point child abuse is a plot point.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
The_Echo said:
I don't find this quite so odd, honestly.

I mean, the humans in the Pokémon world have cooperated and coexisted with Pokémon... forever.

In a way, it's all they know. Their lives and cultures are so infused with these creatures that to think of a story that doesn't involve them is outlandish.

Like, how many stories do we have that feature not a single human, or anthropomorphic animals?
Don't see anyone else doing it so I will..

*Ahem*

I don't like pokemon and never have, but this person brings up a very good point I think we can all agree on.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
werewolfsfury said:
snekadid said:
I understood the pokemon craze.... WHEN I WAS 14 AND RED AND BLUE HAD JUST COME OUT! I was a serious pokemaniac then, I could recite the poke-rap and all that, but when they added 100 more I called it quits because I already had all 151, I won pokemon and they can't take that from me if I don't play their new shit :p

It was a fun RPG but they kept taking it kiddier and kiddier, that may sound weird considering its a kids series, but the originals had a lot of violence and angry pokemon. There was also alot of "mature content"(no, not sex you perv), I remember the original description for parasect having to do with the fungus eating into its hosts brain and hijacking its body.... that's pretty creepy for a kids game.
I find it silly that you say pokemon has been getting kiddier and kiddier even though it's pretty obvious you don't keep up with the series.
The newer games feature subjects that are most defiantly considered mature.
spoilers and all that
Not to mention EVERY pokemon generation has a few stand out creepy pokedex entries such as that parasect one he mentioned. Most of them are much creepier than that parasect one, in fact.

This generation, we have possessed ghost-trees born from the souls of children who died lost in the forest.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
VanQ said:
Any chance we could get a higher resolution version of this? I'd like to see what's on the book spines. I can only make out 3 of them. Curse be on my eyes, with only 20/20 vision.

JediMB said:
Well, Pokémon are basically animals.

So does that mean people are Pokémon too?
I'd guess not, since Pokeballs don't react when thrown at a human. Trainers jump in the way of your Pokeball if oyu throw it at a caught Pokemon and Ash got pelted with Pokeballs in the first movie that did not capture him.
They're pretty inconsitent about that. It might not catch humans, but I recall Ash once catching a riceball (sorry, a "doughnut") in one of those things. Maybe they're designed specifically not to work on humans.

OT: That always did seem somewhat odd to me, but I just always chalked it up to the law of conservation of detail. Are they're any bathrooms in that game either? That's a common problem for video game characters.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
I just talked to an NPC who stated that "Beauty and the Beast is an old fairy tale about a prince who was turned into a Pokemon"(how is that even a bad thing?).
They really have given up on making this world similar to ours. Heck we barely have confirmation whaeter America actually exists or not and the only time actual animals show up is in concept art and the early years of pokemon when they didn't know what to do with it. It's kind of boring really, it would have been interesting to show how they would have interacted with pokemon.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
snekadid said:

It was a fun RPG but they kept taking it kiddier and kiddier, that may sound weird considering its a kids series, but the originals had a lot of violence and angry pokemon. There was also alot of "mature content"(no, not sex you perv), I remember the original description for parasec having to do with the fungus eating into its hosts brain and hijacking its body.... that's pretty creepy for a kids game.
All of the generations had creepy stuff.

This guy has made several videos out of it.
(I think my favourite is Yamask's dex entry;

These Pokémon arose from the spirits of people interred in graves in past ages. Each retains memories of its former life.
Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.

X and Y kinda went back to their creepy roots in the story-department as well (Also Black/White 2 where you could encounter a dead girl who was killed by Pokemon...). The plot of X and Y... Well I don't want to spoil anything, but... coffin. Tiny tiny coffin.

It's not a complex story-line, and I'm not sure I'd call it 'mature' but it has darkness to it.

werewolfsfury said:
I just talked to an NPC who stated that "Beauty and the Beast is an old fairy tale about a prince who was turned into a Pokemon"(how is that even a bad thing?).
Maybe he was Muk?

EDIT:
Darth_Payn said:
Holy shit, they predicted The Last of Us decades before it was released!
They are both based on real-life zombie fungi:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_unilateralis

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
He doesn't like Pokemon! BURN HIM!
You joke [sub][sub](I hope. <.<)[/sub][/sub] but it must really suck for anyone who doesn't like pokemon in the pokemon world.
Yes it was a joke and by "he" I meant the character in the comic, not Grey. Although... ;Þ

EDIT: It's probably like Yahtzee speculated. They're probably all burned at the stake.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
You joke [sub][sub](I hope. <.<)[/sub][/sub] but it must really suck for anyone who doesn't like pokemon in the pokemon world.
Yes it was a joke and by "he" I meant the character in the comic, not Grey. Although... ;Þ

EDIT: It's probably like Yahtzee speculated. They're probably all burned at the stake.
Oh don't worry. I didn't think you were talking about Grey........ <.< But now I do....

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:

Oh don't worry. I didn't think you were talking about Grey........ <.< But now I do....
Yes. We'll have to take him back to our facility for some behavioural "readjustment."

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:

Yes. We'll have to take him back to our facility for some behavioural "readjustment."
D:

Run Grey! They're going to get you!

Hurry!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:
Imp Emissary said:
canadamus_prime said:

D:

Run Grey! They're going to get you!

Hurry!
He can't escape. Our agents are everywhere.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Muspelheim said:
I like to imagine that the Pokémon world is divided between the fanatic Pokenthusiasts and the Notinteresteds, struggling to keep hoards of starving, homeless children from spilling into their borders.

Dickdatduck said:
snekadid said:
From the pokedex entry of the new pokemon Phantump: "According to old tales, these Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died while lost in the forest."
There ought to be loads of those, imagine how many young budding pokemasters must get lost and die in the woods each year. You probably can't walk one hundred paces before finding some sunbleached stupid hat and a little pile of bones.
Yes, and I think we all know how many of those kids start off.

For the record, I have never really played a Pokemon game. But I love these videos.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
The_Echo said:

I mean, the humans in the Pokémon world have cooperated and coexisted with Pokémon... forever.

In a way, it's all they know. Their lives and cultures are so infused with these creatures that to think of a story that doesn't involve them is outlandish.

Like, how many stories do we have that feature not a single human, or anthropomorphic animals?
This is probably the canon explanation, but I've always liked that "childhood ruined" pic that talks about how there's a lot of evidence in Gen I that points to Pokemon being recent additions to the world, and claims that the war that Lt. Surge fought in was World War III, the weapons of which mutated the animals into pokemon, and had the player be in the first generation to have grown up completely after the war. It even goes into the ages of the adult males we see, and the way so many of the kids seem to have mothers but not fathers (Professor Oak was too old to go to war. Ash's and Gary's dads weren't, and they didn't come home).

Besides, how many stories do we have that /don't/ revolve around animals, how many don't prominently feature them, and how many don't include them at all? I'd imagine there's about as many that don't mention any non-human animals[footnote]By which I mean mentioning so much as a cockroach skittering across the floor disqualifies it[/footnote] in the real world as there are books that involve talking ones. In the pokemon world the tiny percentage seems to be books that have humans in them in a capacity outside of training, breeding, and studying pokemon.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
MCerberus said:
Imagine the world for those that aren't trainers. Trainers have access to destructive forces that make everything you have look like a joke, especially your pathetic civilian pokemon. The have the right to burst into your house and interrogate everyone until you can find a 'present' that will make them go away. Every few years some fresh hell breaks out where organized crime finds the power of the gods.

The only way you could ever get revenge on these bastards is by making bicycles too expensive for them.
Or own a clothing store...

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
JediMB said:
Well, Pokémon are basically animals.

So does that mean people are Pokémon too?
Fun fact, in several instances in the newer games, it's heavily implied that Pokemon and humans were, at one point, the same thing.

Sooo... yeah, I guess. And that's not even getting into the topic of ghost Pokemon who were born from the souls of humans...

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Darth_Payn said:
The_Echo said:

Now you've got me wondering what use they have for Pokémon that aren't brightly colored cockfights for kids, as Yahtzee called them.
Basically everything we use heavy machinery for. Transportation, construction, mining, forestry (both cutting down and planting), manufacturing, agriculture... you name it, and they've probably got a pokemon for it.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
snekadid said:

In 5th gen if you read the description of yamask it is stated that it is the ghost of a person who once lived and the golden mask it holds in it's hand not only looks exactly like the human in it's past life. Not only that they remember everything about being alive.

You also had Glalie in 3rd gen that is said to freeze it's foes while they are still alive and slowly but surely devour them small bite by small bite.