Police brutality, how should it be handled?

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I have exactly zero respect for cops. The police force lacks accountability and is biased against the poor and racial minorities. It doesn't fucking matter if most cops are "good people". It's a broken institution.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Zykmiester said:
Would you mind posting a link to the video in question?
You should just record the whole incident and report them. However most videos I've seen of so-called police brutality is just the suspect getting fucked up trying to resist arrest. Also, most cops are good people just doing their jobs with a minority abusing their power.
I don't know where I've seen it sorry was on another PC I don't have access to right now, but it was already online, I didn't record it.

I don't know man, there have been a lot of cases of police corruption where I live. Hell, I've even seen multiple of my pals buy dope from a multitude of different cops.

Also the fact that they were protecting a known serial pedo because he turned some low level weed dealer in, which is just depressing, because, you know, protecting a pedo deserves no excuse, even if he'd turned in half the dealers of the country.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
I have exactly zero respect for cops. The police force lacks accountability and is biased against the poor and racial minorities. It doesn't fucking matter if most cops are "good people". It's a broken institution.

Amen to that brother.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Kaleion said:
I live in México so I'm legally obligated to hate cops and be really cynical about the fact that there isn't anything I can do, here people have little to no faith in the police so no one really cares about police brutality, I mean let's worry about the brutality after we fix the ineptitude, it doesn't really seem fair to cops but then again I've never met a cop that wasn't a useless pile of corrupt trash, then again I know way more criminals than cops.

Yeah that too. Police here are absolutely incompetent as well. Not to mention lazy as fuck. Had a case in the family the other day. Domestic abuse. They didn't even do half the paperwork needed, the fuck is that? What exactly are they paid to do? Jerk around and smoke copious amounts of weed? Shit, I wouldn't even mind them smoking weed, but it seems that's ALL they do all day long.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Artaneius said:
Life has always been this way. People with power always abuse that power. If you were in the same position you would most likely make the same choices. Why? Because deep down, there is a monster behind that glass you would call morality.

Actually I used to be very aggressive when younger but I've learned to control myself. That's all it takes. I don't mind police brutality BUT it HAS to be provoked.

When the cop is the one provoking, he should be thrown in jail. See how he likes getting ganged up on.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Not The Bees said:
I realize that you tried to end this with you know that there are good cops out there, but most are abusive little shits... and I find that incredibly insulting. As my father is a cop, my step-brother is a cop, I have friends that are cops. But mostly, my father... who I am incredibly proud of, who has done more than his fair share in this world of trying to be a good person, and all the rest of them that are treated like they're all one entity as if each cop from each precinct, from each district, from each city, from each county, from each state are the same.

Because they're not. And while I am the first one in line to punish over zealous and abusive cops, God knows I've had my fair share of run ins with them, I would never treat anyone with as much disrespect as you just showed right there. That is just wrong.

They are the same or they wouldn't let their corrupt colleagues act like this. If they manage to pull this off, it means they're no better. The buddy system shouldn't be applied to people who are supposed to be an example for the general population.
Even if they're not the ones causing the trouble, the fact that they don't do anything makes them accomplices. Also, you don't know how your pals/dad/brother/etc are when on the job. People don't act the same in different situations.

When people get beaten to death by the police force, it means something is very rotten at its core, doesn't matter the percentage of shitty vs good cops. This shit should not be happening.

How exactly do you punish them? Are you in a position to do so?

TakerFoxx said:
Gotta agree with Not The Bees on this one. Every time I hear "Yeah, okay, I know that there's good X out there..." with X being anything from a job to a belief system to a nationality to what have you, it always translates in my mind as "But most of them are assholes!" Which always makes me think of this scene:

Relevant part at :59.
That's exactly what I meant.

So people should just ignore this like it isn't a problem? Have you ever had your kid killed by a dumbass cop? These people are armed and dangerous. And we're giving them free will.

Would you give criminals guns and free will? Of course not, criminals are thrown in jail, even for something as stupid as stealing a bottle of vodka.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
manic_depressive13 said:
It might be a little less broken if people like you didn't go and give police officers shit for every call they make. Believe it or not, there are times when a person who's poor and/or part of a racial minority really did commit a crime and at that point he/she should be held accountable for their actions.

The way I see it: some parts of society have become entirely too sympathetic towards criminal behavior, to the point that certain criminal actions will be blamed on things like poverty or racism or a crappy childhood or something else that's ''out of that person's control''. I want no part in that: in my eyes, anyone who blames outside factors for their criminal actions is only looking for excuses.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
thaluikhain said:
What can you do? Film everything, even when it's not your problem, vote for people who oppose police brutality, go to protests...and try not to be too upset when this doesn't work and might get you on the receiving end of police brutality.
Yeah, except going to a protest these days is like inviting them to beat on your ass.

I was LOLing so hard the other day. Some jackass police officer (don't remember his rank, he was a higher-up) was "shocked" at how no one in the entire crowd had helped a cop out when getting his ass kicked by some kid.

Oh wow, so we're supposed to help them now? Isn't that pretty much the description of their job?
Haha the nerve of that guy. When half the planet passionately hates police, he actually thinks someone would be dumb enough to intervene. He's adorable really :).

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
manic_depressive13 said:
It might be a little less broken if people like you didn't go and give police officers shit for every call they make. Believe it or not, there are times when a person who's poor and/or part of a racial minority really did commit a crime and at that point he/she should be held accountable for their actions.

The way I see it: some parts of society have become entirely too sympathetic towards criminal behavior, to the point that certain criminal actions will be blamed on things like poverty or racism or a crappy childhood or something else that's ''out of that person's control''. I want no part in that: in my eyes, anyone who blames outside factors for their criminal actions is only looking for excuses.
Dude, he didn't say he was a criminal, and besides, I've never been a jackass to cops, but that didn't stop them from being jackasses to me. Is that right to you?

Nah, people don't have that kind of mentality. Only politicians find that a viable excuse. I don't give a shit about their shitty childhoods, crime is a choice, they made the choice, end of story.

But when cops beat the shit out of the people calling them, something's not right.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
chris89300 said:
Have you ever had your kid killed by a dumbass cop? These people are armed and dangerous. And we're giving them free will.
chris89300 said:
Yeah, except going to a protest these days is like inviting them to beat on your ass.

I was LOLing so hard the other day. Some jackass police officer (don't remember his rank, he was a higher-up) was "shocked" at how no one in the entire crowd had helped a cop out when getting his ass kicked by some kid.

Oh wow, so we're supposed to help them now? Isn't that pretty much the description of their job?
Haha the nerve of that guy. When half the planet passionately hates police, he actually thinks someone would be dumb enough to intervene. He's adorable really :).
I'm guessing that attitudes like this are why cops, for good or ill, stick together the way they do.

Just a reminder, going to protests isn't ''inviting [police officers] to beat your ass'', but using a so-called peaceful protest as a pretext for rioting and plundering stores sure as hell is.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Google "kid/child arrested" or something. This is a good example of the ridiculousness of the situation. When 4 year olds are interrogated as if they were hardened criminals, means the entire institution needs to be dismantled brick by brick.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
chris89300 said:
Have you ever had your kid killed by a dumbass cop? These people are armed and dangerous. And we're giving them free will.
chris89300 said:

I'm guessing that attitudes like this are why cops, for good or ill, stick together the way they do.

Just a reminder, going to protests isn't ''inviting [police officers] to beat your ass'', but using a so-called peaceful protest as a pretext for rioting and plundering stores sure as hell is.

Dude, what are you talking about? Are you some kind of old white rich guy?
Not everyone is a criminal. A protest isn't a riot, where do you live? Syria? Afghanistan? Why do US cops from shitty little 5000 people towns have BATTLE TANKS in the US?

Do they need ***landmine-proof*** armored vehicles? Crimes rates are the lowest they've ever been, give that shit back to the military, who are actually trained professionals and not showing off in the streets.

Where do we draw the line? I'm tired of seeing 15-20 cops ganging up to "immobilize" ONE GUY. They gang up as to obstruct the view, so we don't see how savagely they beat the guy up.

And no, attitudes like these aren't the reason why they stick together. It's the contrary, THEIR attitudes warranted ours.

The reason they stick together is that they've pulled so much of this shit that the general population is starting to fight back.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Ah, so you admit that the police do tend to do this?

Certainly, I have some sympathy for people in job that makes everyone distrust and fear them. Only, people distrust and fear them for good reasons, and not being distrusted and feared is sorta part of their job.

Uriel_Hayabusa said:
Just a reminder, going to protests isn't ''inviting [police officers] to beat your ass'',
Police, particularly in the US, are often condemned for attacking peaceful protests.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
chris89300 said:
I've just seen yet another police brutality video, as usual without provocation and I wanted to know what you guys thought about it.
Did you see any videos about police brutality where there was provocation? If you haven't, then why not? How about where there was provocation and the police did not react with brutality? What do you think is the relative proportion of outcomes of angry incidents between civilians and police? 100% police brutality? 100% police calm and professional?

More specifically, how we, as citizens, should handle it. But, and this is the tricky part, not individually. Because as we all know, if an individual goes up against a cop in court, the citizen will pay dearly, but never the cop, even if all the evidence is against that cop.
Do you have any statistics of the result of court proceedings between civilians and law enforcement? I may not live in your country - and different police forces and legal systems have different results - so I would like to be informed.

So, as the people who PUT FOOD ON COPS' TABLES, how should we handle this? Cuz let's be honest, they're little more than garbage men. Public servants. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for garbage men, but not in the slightest for cops.
It sounds like you have had difficult experiences with police officers that inform your current belief about police and policing. If you then come across videos of police brutality, then it seems not surprise that it should reinforce your negative views of people doing a difficult job.

There are tens of millions of civilians in the country - a much smaller number of law enforcement officers, and a large number of interactions between the two - most of which are in difficult stressful circumstances - violence, crime, disagreements, disputes, conflict of all types. The Internet tends to give you content that you look for. If you look for evidence of police brutality you will find it - no doubt. Have you also looked for evidence of positive policing? Have you tried to balance the two? Can you be objective? Can any of us?

What is the alternative to a society which enshrines shared moral values in a a code of law, and then employs and trains people to enforce that law paid through taxes? Can we realistically expect to remove humanity from those people who serve as law enforcement? If we cannot, then we also cannot expect them to not have human failings. They get angry, they make bad decisions, they can respond badly to provocation, they can carry prejudice.

The simple answer to your question, if you feel that the recruitment policies, police procedures, training quality, tools or other aspects of policing in your community are not to your liking, is to research your position, contact your political representative and lobby for change. You live in a democracy - make best use of the tools available to concerned citizens to make positive change. Make your ideas heard.

And for the smartasses: YES, I know there are good, even great cops, hell, I personally know a few, but most of them are little more than abusive little shits, so the topic is about the latter.
I am not certain that pre-denegrating people who may oppose your views is an ideal conclusion to your post. Also your assertion that most police are, in your words "little more than abusive little shits" needs to be backed up by more than an appeal to people's prejudices.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
chris89300 said:
Not everyone is a criminal. A protest isn't a riot, where do you live? Syria? Afghanistan? Why do US cops from shitty little 5000 people towns have BATTLE TANKS in the US?

Do they need ***landmine-proof*** armored vehicles? Crimes rates are the lowest they've ever been, give that shit back to the military, who are actually trained professionals and not showing off in the streets.

Where do we draw the line? I'm tired of seeing 15-20 cops ganging up to "immobilize" ONE GUY. They gang up as to obstruct the view, so we don't see how savagely they beat the guy up.
Nowhere in the US do the police have battle tanks. They've gotten lots of pre-loved armoured vehicles the military doesn't want anymore, but that's not in of itself a bad thing. Lots of nations have armoured vehicles for the police, and train heavily armed units. The problem is that the US police has lots of hammers, and likes to act like too many things are nails. SWAT teams are all well and good, but they aren't there for things that don't require SWAT teams, which is most things...only, you're paying for these expensive teams to sit round and do nothing most of the time, so someone gets the bright idea to use them for other things. SWAT teams and armoured vehicles should be (hopefully) never actually used.

Likewise, I don't see anything wrong with sending lots of police (if available) to deal with one person. There's no reason that many police have to needlessly harm them.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
Recording their shifts would seem like the way to go. And beyond that, they should be treated like every citizen should be treated when accused of crimes. Sentence them. No special treatment, after all, they're simply citizens in a job which is to offer security to public.

And if a person who fails to do that in his job as a cop, then I guess reasonable would also be to fire that person. Just as anyone else failing in their jobs, whatever it may be, usually gets fired if their work isn't up to standards.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Varis said:
Recording their shifts would seem like the way to go. And beyond that, they should be treated like every citizen should be treated when accused of crimes. Sentence them. No special treatment, after all, they're simply citizens in a job which is to offer security to public.

And if a person who fails to do that in his job as a cop, then I guess reasonable would also be to fire that person. Just as anyone else failing in their jobs, whatever it may be, usually gets fired if their work isn't up to standards.
Yeah, apparently when police are being filmed all the time, citizens don't go out of their way to cause trouble and be injured, according to police...of course, there may be other reasons.

Now, you could turn the thing off, but then people would ask why that happened.

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Varis said:

Yeah, apparently when police are being filmed all the time, citizens don't go out of their way to cause trouble and be injured, according to police...of course, there may be other reasons.

Now, you could turn the thing off, but then people would ask why that happened.
Yes. The camera should always be on during their shifts in my opinion. If there isn't a video feed available, then we can straight assume it was shut down by the officer, thus condemning him.