Police shoot and kill another black man in Minneapolis, Amir Locke

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
"Sure, black people get murdered by the police and then blamed for it, but chicks think I'm gonna spike their drinks! Do you KNOW how hard that makes it to spike their drinks?! Where's MY political action group?!"
Approximately 1/4 of police killings are of a black person who only make up ~1/6 of the population, I wonder what that proportion is if we were to look at sex? 19/20 police killings are of men? Well, then, it makes absolutely perfect sense that we treat this as an issue of race and race alone and act as though sex has nothing to do with it whatsoever!

Also, love the implication that the only reason to get offended at being presumed to do terrible things is that it makes it hard to do said terrible things. Part of me wants to demonstrate how fucked up that is by repeating the notion but using blacks and killing people (see FBI Uniform Crime Reporting Table 43), but that would make it far, far too obvious why that's bullshit, and probably get me banned from here for the overt racism necessary to do so.

Reactions: Leg End

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
As far as I understand, this is one of the first times that racist speech previous to the event was used to prove it was a hate crime. Normally, you have to say something racist during the event

Which, if I understood this correctly, means that you can say you want to murder blacks on one day, actually murder a black on another day, and then pretend you didn't want to murder blacks and it not being a hate crime

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

Ethics complaints were brought against the mayor for how he handled this case (sweeping it under the rug) and they've all been dismissed. The board summarily dismissed most of them for being duplicates (which is fair), and used that as an excuse to dismiss the underlying issues, instead of confronting it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010

Ethics complaints were brought against the mayor for how he handled this case (sweeping it under the rug) and they've all been dismissed. The board summarily dismissed most of them for being duplicates (which is fair), and used that as an excuse to dismiss the underlying issues, instead of confronting it.
Hmmm, so if you make the same complaint against yourself as someone else has, both complaints should be dropped as duplicates according to this? Interesting...

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Not that it does Amir Locke a lot of good, there was at least one possible plus side to it

Basically as of tomorrow, No Knock Warrants are no longer legal or allowed in Minneapolis. I suppose that doesn't stop a cop from having a warrant they're SUPPOSED to announce themselves at only to either not do it or "yell" out this is the police open up or else but at least in theory, this kind of shit will stop.

At least until the cops just go back to "I feared for my life" and gun down whoever they want anyway cause the black guy was black and that was too scary for the cop to handle

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
At least until the cops just go back to "I feared for my life" and gun down whoever they want anyway cause the black guy was black and that was too scary for the cop to handle
That'll be, what, a week tops? Weird how police have this macho warrior culture but have no problem telling the public, "We're a bunch of panicky, incompetent cowards who fire at the first sight of melanin."

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
That'll be, what, a week tops? Weird how police have this macho warrior culture but have no problem telling the public, "We're a bunch of panicky, incompetent cowards who fire at the first sight of melanin."
It's almost like...people with Melanin would have cause to want to retaliate against them. So odd that they would think that way...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I didn't see much more point in making a separate thread, but we got our own crap going on in Michigan too right now. This happened in Grand Rapids.

"putting the firearm to Lyoya's head at point-blank range, and then firing the weapon".

This was an execution plain and simple. Anyone who tries to justify or minimise this needs to shut the fuck up and just wear their Klan hood whenever they leave the house because anything beyond outright condemnation of this is telling on yourself in a big way.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
"putting the firearm to Lyoya's head at point-blank range, and then firing the weapon".

This was an execution plain and simple. Anyone who tries to justify or minimise this needs to shut the fuck up and just wear their Klan hood whenever they leave the house because anything beyond outright condemnation of this is telling on yourself in a big way.
Yep

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Yep

Yeah, unless every officer involved in this ends up in prison this is firmly in the"people of Michigan need to go to war with their cops"territory. They can now pin you to the ground and put a bullet in your head while you're restrained.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020

I am going to be honest, the shot shouldn't have been fired and I know over here it wouldn't, BUT we also have to take into account Lyoya had plenty of opportunities to stop resisting arrest before being shot. He even took the officer's taser. Both acted wrongly, however as always only one will pay a heavy price for acting wrongly...

Also, why do US cops always insist on handling everything alone? I mean sure it doesn't have to be like in Belgium where cops always feel the need to wait for reinforcement just to be sure it's at least 6vs1 but when you always try to handle things 1vs1 you increase the odds you'll end up in situations where you feel like it's necessary to use that gun...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I am going to be honest, the shot shouldn't have been fired and I know over here it wouldn't, BUT we also have to take into account Lyoya had plenty of opportunities to stop resisting arrest before being shot. He even took the officer's taser. Both acted wrongly, however as always only one will pay a heavy price for acting wrongly...
And the officer should have minded his own business or helped Lyoya out with his car trouble. The officer acted aggressive from the start, and definitely did not know how to deal with someone that is black and foreign. The fact that GRPD tried to lie and say Lyoya had a weapon him, full y proves how full of shit they are, and once again try to paint someone as the villain and aggressor, because they are black.

For one, it’s clear that Patrick did not use a weapon, despite the GRPD’s claims that it didn’t know whether he was armed. Second, it’s clear that the police officer acted with the assumption of this being a traffic stop—but it’s not certain whether Patrick understood this fact. (His father, Peter, and interpreter Siku both claim that Patrick had actually stopped to check an issue with his car, not in response to the cruiser’s pursuit. However, Winstrom stated at the presser that the car did not appear to have been “breaking down” during the drive, as Peter had claimed.) Third, there was a physical altercation, but Patrick did not appear to attack the officer. When he was knocked to the ground a second time, the cop gained physical control to the point where he was able to grab his gun and fire a close shot.

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
And the officer should have minded his own business or helped Lyoya out with his car trouble. The officer acted aggressive from the start, and definitely did not know how to deal with someone that is black and foreign.
The US police doesn't seem to know how to deal with anyone. They seem to be trained to act like paranoid aggressive cowboys.

The fact that GRPD tried to lie and say Lyoya had a weapon him, full y proves how full of shit they are, and once again try to paint someone as the villain and aggressor, because they are black.
What evidence do you have his race even mattered in this situation? The victim tried to resist arrest and the police officer progressively escalated the use of force. The reason why the police force tries to paint the victim as a bad guy is to paint their own guy as a good guy. He could have been white, yellow, blue, red, purple, didn't matter, it's all about protecting their own.

Anyway, maybe someday these events will lead to deep police reforms...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The US police doesn't seem to know how to deal with anyone. They seem to be trained to act like paranoid aggressive cowboys.
Exactly. They are recruiting people who just want to be glorified bullies, are not mentally well themselves, or just another jackass who wants to be the hero cowboy cop. Shoot first, ask questions never.

What evidence do you have his race even mattered in this situation?
You already know the answer to that. Don't act fucking oblivious. If you can't even figure it out when it's right in front of you, then you're not as smart as you think you are. I have nothing else to say and I'm not continuing this. Don't bother responding, you're not worth the effort door to frustration. What I hate more than incompetent, corrupt, and bad cops, are people who act as if said cops did nothing wrong or try to claim "race wasn't involved!". I assure you, had that guy been White or any color that wasn't dark skin, the officer wouldn't act as nearly as hostile or aggressive. Yes, there has been aggressive white on white, but nowhere nearly as much as white on black/non-white/dark skinned/foreign. Especially in America. You don't like it, not my problem.

Last edited: