Police shoot (another) unarmed black man in the back 7 times

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So which came first, over-policing or a disproportionate amount of crime?
Over-policing, because crime has only ever been part of the function of policing.

The other half of the function of police is defending the power structure of society, or as it is normally termed "maintaining order".

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think that's a dangerous line of reasoning because:

1) Focus implies that "we" can only "focus" on one thing at a time, like we can't work on solving multiple problems at once.
2) How are you determining whether or not someone is of a racist mindset? Are you working backwards and saying "he shot a black guy, therefore, he must be racist"?
1) no, it doesn't. Well, it shouldn't. Black people have been "focusing" on equality since the Civil Rights movement. The question has been where's the focus on the other end for our equality? I said it before, Civil Rights didn't hit the "off" switch on racism. It was initially "okay, they've forced us to integrate; we don't like it and good luck with the rest, black folks." That mentality has nothing to do with the perceived behavior of black people on the whole; it's a mountain black people have been climbing to +60 years, and the top is still out of sight.
2) you obviously can't with certainty determine whether or not someone is objectively racist, and no, a white person shooting a black person does not make him/her de facto racist. Given the authority cops are granted, I would like to think there're methods in place to ensure the wrong people aren't getting the job, like psych evaluations or tasking police to police communities they come from versus some suburban cop policing the inner city 20 miles from his daily life experience,i.e.: "enemy" territory. Just saying, I would like to see a genuine effort from those with the guns to be less lethal versus "just doing their jobs" and gunning down every "black person acting out of line," or a pattern that suggests it's not race-driven.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Over-policing, because crime has only ever been part of the function of policing.
So what caused police to over-police black communities? Just pure racism?

Also, are you saying that, if a murder happens, but police aren't around to make a record of it, it doesn't count as a crime?

Just saying, I would like to see a genuine effort from those with the guns to be less lethal
I think that's a better goal and a better reasoning than "stop racist cops!"

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
2) you obviously can't with certainty determine whether or not someone is objectively racist, and no, a white person shooting a black person does not make him/her de facto racist. Given the authority cops are granted, I would like to think there're methods in place to ensure the wrong people aren't getting the job, like psych evaluations or tasking police to police communities they come from versus some suburban cop policing the inner city 20 miles from his daily life experience,i.e.: "enemy" territory. Just saying, I would like to see a genuine effort from those with the guns to be less lethal versus "just doing their jobs" and gunning down every "black person acting out of line," or a pattern that suggests it's not race-driven.
This also something the racist apologists exploit. They don't need to actually prove that someone isn't racist, they just need to muddy the waters. Very few conservatives will ever ask, "How do you define a racist?" in good faith, because they already believe their definition is the only correct one.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So what caused police to over-police black communities? Just pure racism?
Yes, the initial over policing WAS pure racism. Why did they burn down black wall street and murder all those innocent people and then no one was prosecuted for doing so? Why were people allowed to lynch black men just for " looking at a white woman" and no one ever prosecuted for it? White people tortured, abused, and murdered blacks without repercussion for a very long time even after it was technically illegal and over policing was just one part of it. This hasn't even really ended and that is why everyone is so pissed off about these things right now because it STILL keeps happening and little if anything is being done to stop it. They have to burn the place down every time it happens at this point or nothing will be done about it at all.

For the longest time in this country, black people are ( and I say ARE for a reason, as it hasn't even stopped yet) ARE prevented from buying homes, obtaining jobs, access to clean air, soil, water, medical treatment and healthy food and even walking around in the neighborhood like everyone else does and if they attempt to do so, they may just die for it. It really IS that screwed up, and isn't going to change without drastic action forcing change.

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Yes, the initial over policing WAS pure racism. Why did they burn down black wall street and then no one was prosecuted for doing so? Why were people allowed to lynch black men just for " looking at a white woman" and no one ever prosecuted for it?
Sorry, what does any of this have to do with over-policing?
Did "the burning of black wall street" cause over-policing?
Did the lynching of black people just for "looking at a white woman" cause over-policing?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Oh and here are some sources just in case you were not actually aware of what is really happening here:
Unable to buy homes.
Trying to run them out of town:
Poison them:
Refuse access to medical treatment:
Inaccessibility of healthy food:

Aegix Drakan

♪ Megalovania is a genre ♪
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Canada
Country
Canada
Now, I'm not in favor of the death penalty at all. Like, at all at all. (too much risk of killing innocent people)

But an officer of the law (who should be held to a higher standard) gunning a man down 7 times in the back, in public, as he walked away, after he broke up some kind of altercation?

If (never gonna happen) he was charged with murder and executed I would not shed any tears.

When something like this happens, there needs to be a very big, very public, very harsh response. I want this cop in prison for life at the very least, because there is zero possible excusable anything here.

Also, I'm glad the victim survived.

Reactions: Kae and Buyetyen

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Sorry, what does any of this have to do with over-policing?
Did "the burning of black wall street" cause over-policing?
Did the lynching of black people just for "looking at a white woman" cause over-policing?
The ENTIRE time all of this is happening, overpolicing was intertwined. The police turned a blind eye to ANY crimes by white people against black people while at the same time, black people were tortured, abused and killed by both the police and the white community the " police were protecting." It is all designed that way from the ground up is the problem. They have to essentially start over with their training, and how they actually enforce the law itself in order to change it. The local cops were involved in the burning of black wallstreet. The cops were involved with many of the lynchings. The cops are just doing what the " white community they are supported by" have them do.

Police often were the ones involved in all of this as well. We still have yet to remove the KKK and other white supremacists from law enforcement. That has been so ingrained from the beginning, we have to start over in order to fix it at this point. It is like that off duty cop in uniform who came to lynch that kid who they thought was another kid ( another thread we had on here a while back) they are all a part of these things happening, not separate from it. All the police have been for the most part is "white people body guards" to ensure that black people do not retaliate against the wrongs done to them to make sure they remain powerless to do anything about it.

The over policing was a direct result of white people trying to make it more difficult for black people to exist there at all as a means of intimidation to attempt to suppress and and "get rid of them". They designed policing that way in the first place.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Yes, the initial over policing WAS pure racism. Why did they burn down black wall street and murder all those innocent people and then no one was prosecuted for doing so? Why were people allowed to lynch black men just for " looking at a white woman" and no one ever prosecuted for it? White people tortured, abused, and murdered blacks without repercussion for a very long time even after it was technically illegal and over policing was just one part of it. This hasn't even really ended and that is why everyone is so pissed off about these things right now because it STILL keeps happening and little if anything is being done to stop it. They have to burn the place down every time it happens at this point or nothing will be done about it at all.
Ah, but that was done by white people in the past and MLK permanently defeated all of them by being super-nice to all the white people. Therefor no white people could possibly be racist today. /s

Reactions: Aegix Drakan

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Ah, but that was done by white people in the past and MLK permanently defeated all of them by being super-nice to all the white people. Therefor no white people could possibly be racist today. /s
We keep having cops tells us how bad it is, but people still aren't listening that it is actually DESIGNED this way.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
The ENTIRE time all of this is happening, overpolicing was intertwined.
How was over-policing intertwined with the burning of black wall street? Because I'm googling "black wall street" and "over-policing" and I'm not finding anything

The police "turning a blind eye to white people" is not over-policing, unless you want to argue that it's only "over" in a relative sense, but that's not normally how people use the term, I don't think. I think what you're talking about needs a different name.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Now, I'm not in favor of the death penalty at all. Like, at all at all. (too much risk of killing innocent people)

But an officer of the law (who should be held to a higher standard) gunning a man down 7 times in the back, in public, as he walked away, after he broke up some kind of altercation?

If (never gonna happen) he was charged with murder and executed I would not shed any tears.

When something like this happens, there needs to be a very big, very public, very harsh response. I want this cop in prison for life at the very least, because there is zero possible excusable anything here.

Also, I'm glad the victim survived.
Didn't the article say the man was in his car when he was shot?"

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Kenosha PD (far from uniquely) acts like an occupying military force and it seems correct that the people should be allowed to resist it like one. One cop going to prison or being executed doesn't solve the problem. You're not going to solve such a problem by targeting individuals.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
How was over-policing intertwined with the burning of black wall street? Because I'm googling "black wall street" and "over-policing" and I'm not finding anything

The police "turning a blind eye to white people" is not over-policing, unless you want to argue that it's only "over" in a relative sense, but that's not normally how people use the term, I don't think. I think what you're talking about needs a different name.
Do you actually think that the term has to be written out for it to not be a problem? When you read what the people who survived actually tell us about what happened during, prior and after that, it is blatantly apparent that was a part of it as well. It is a constant, ongoing issue that never ceases WHILE everything else is happening in addition to it. The police attacked the black people too. The police intimidated the black people before and after they killed them as well. The police helped cover it up and hid the bodies and protected the white people from retaliation. You have to learn more about what actually happened and listen to the individual accounts than just read a wiki article about it. The racist police were involved in the massacre that happened there and it was horrific.